Closed Thread
    dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Best time to take body fat measurement

Hello all.

I have a small body fat analyzer at home which I have been using to track my progress. My question is what is the best time of day to get the most accurate measurement? I've take measurements in the morning first thing when I get up and then later in the day and the readings seam to vary quite a bit.

Thanks for any advice!

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    They say morning but whatever time you choose I would keep it the same time every time.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

jacquidube is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jacquidube is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jacquidube is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jacquidube is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jacquidube is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jacquidube is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jacquidube is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jacquidube is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jacquidube is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jacquidube is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jacquidube is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I love the mornings. I seem to be alot slimmer then, its the best time for me.

dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dEntremont is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    When I weigh myself it's always first thing in the morning which is when I am at my lightest. I decided to measure my body fat this morning too and it was 16.8% which I have a hard time believing. Usually I take measurements when I get home at the end of the day (when I'm well hydrated) and it's around 21% or 22%. How can the measurements fluctuate so much?

asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dEntremont View Post
    I've take measurements in the morning first thing when I get up and then later in the day and the readings seam to vary quite a bit.
    They are innacurate...I would place more trust in a daily horoscope from the local newspaper than one of these things.
    Dr Smo

Fair enough. I guess I'll just have to rely on a mirror!

BountyHunter6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BountyHunter6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BountyHunter6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BountyHunter6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BountyHunter6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BountyHunter6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BountyHunter6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BountyHunter6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BountyHunter6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BountyHunter6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BountyHunter6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you DO use it, I would take measurements at the same time of day each time. They are more useful for tracking changes than accurately portraying your current BF.
    Glen

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    yes
    consistency is more important than accuracy

if it reads the same everytime at least you can establish a baseline and move from there.

So if personal bodyfat analyzer's aren't very accurate what's the best way to get an accurate measurement?

AlanBee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanBee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanBee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanBee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanBee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanBee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanBee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanBee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanBee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanBee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanBee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There are a number of methods that will give a reasonably accurate reading.
    A bodyfat calipers is probablly the most common method, but I think it's best if you can get the same qualified person to do it at approx the same time each day. I get mine measured every 6 to 8 weeks.

Here's some articles about bodyfat measurement

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson98.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson108.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kurilla5.htm

Or you could try posting a pic of your self here and a lot of people will probablly guess your body fat to a couple of percent.

Thanks. I'm not sure if I'm willing to submit to something as humiliating as posting my picture here yet! Maybe when I can post a before and after pic I'll have the nerve to.

jdayrit12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdayrit12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdayrit12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdayrit12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdayrit12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdayrit12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdayrit12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdayrit12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdayrit12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdayrit12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdayrit12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks. I'm not sure if I'm willing to submit to something as humiliating as posting my picture here yet! Maybe when I can post a before and after pic I'll have the nerve to.
    do it

Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As mentioned, try to be consistent in testing yourself at the same time of day. Also it's best to make sure you are well hydrated. And as stated, this is just one tool to track progress (along with the mirror, scale and tape measure).
    Team General Mills

johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000)
    So if personal bodyfat analyzer's aren't very accurate what's the best way to get an accurate measurement?
    you can go and get a hydrostatic bf % test done. Often a local college has these, In atlanta there is a company that has a hydro test in a mobile RV...

I had mine done a few weeks ago and it was a good experience - going to have it done again in a few weeks to measure progress and make sure I am not burning too much muscle on my cut.

Another option is to see if there is a trainer at your local gym that is good with calipers and have that person measure you.

Fyi the personal BF analyzer at my gym was so far off of my real BF% its not even worth looking at.

The Flanimal project Flounderbout's Avatar
    Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I reckon that either he worked it out in the course of the 5 years since he posted this, or he died of starvation sitting on his bathroom floor contemplating the issue.
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

"Stay tight and don't be a pussy" Eric
    "Get out of your head, you've got this" Jedi Spotter

NYTBlair359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NYTBlair359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NYTBlair359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NYTBlair359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NYTBlair359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NYTBlair359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NYTBlair359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NYTBlair359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NYTBlair359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NYTBlair359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NYTBlair359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Calipers

Are the best way to go by a certified trainer.. Remember whatever the number is: consider it a starting point and a beginning to changing your life... Good luck
    Persistence, Protein, and Patience = Progress

slhenhy will become famous soon enough. (+50) slhenhy will become famous soon enough. (+50) slhenhy will become famous soon enough. (+50) slhenhy will become famous soon enough. (+50) slhenhy will become famous soon enough. (+50) slhenhy will become famous soon enough. (+50) slhenhy will become famous soon enough. (+50) slhenhy will become famous soon enough. (+50) slhenhy will become famous soon enough. (+50) slhenhy will become famous soon enough. (+50) slhenhy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dexa scan is the most reliable but it costs about 100.00. Shows exact ratios of fat and lean muscle. A lot of bodybuilders i know will only do a scan.

Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000)
    Most accurate method is to dissect and weigh the fat. But not the most practical. For general purposes calipers work pretty well.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by asmolenski View Post
    They are innacurate...I would place more trust in a daily horoscope from the local newspaper than one of these things.
    Asmolenski's right. All method of measuring body fat percentage are INACCURATE!

A great article that examines each of the problems with the various method is...

The Pitfalls of Measurement
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...62922401,d.aWM

Tape Measure & Mirror

The simplest method are a tape measure and a mirror.

Kenny Croxdale

zackalghamdy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It uses electrical impulses when it does it’s measurments.
    Water is conductive, so the more hydrated the more conductive your body will be to those impulses.

Hydration is a huge factor that can skew results with these types of analyzers.

HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've never used one but if asked I would probably have to say that the best time to measure would be right after you have taken a massive ****.