ceitach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Gyms in Sydney,Australia?

Hi,

I just relocated to sydney and am looking to get back into shape. Would anyone be kind enough to recommend a good gym that has facilities for powerlifting or weightlifting ? and that opens fairly early - say, 530am ?

cheers!

db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    getting back into shape?

Or getting back in to competition shape?

BLARZEE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLARZEE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLARZEE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLARZEE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLARZEE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLARZEE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLARZEE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLARZEE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLARZEE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLARZEE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLARZEE has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've heard good things about Arena gym or Sydney uni gym. Apparently they have good racks etc. I don't know anything else besides that sorry

entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    there are no gyms in australia, we fight kangeroos for strength/fitness

Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    For what its worth you might want to check out the gym I go to, details at the top of this thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=110360201

They have 3 bench presses (2 are heavy duty with 45 lb bar).
    Have 2 squat racks
    Have 1 dead lift rack

A decent free weights room and vast array of other equipment.

Unfortunately the banned chalk last year but. Powerlifting is otherwise quite welcome.

A further description of my gym here http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...=935590&page=5

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Where abouts in Sydney particularly? It's a big city! City Gym in Surry Hills is a good bodybuilding gym and opens at 5am
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

Thanks for the replies guys, I live in the CBD, so will probably check out City Gym, as it would be the most convenient. great to know it opens at 5am, too!

cheers.

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ah yep. City Gym would be your best bet then. Bond St FF also has quite good hours and a lot of equipment but I recommend you steer clear of FF if possible!
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

Originally Posted by BLARZEE View Post
    I've heard good things about Arena gym or Sydney uni gym. Apparently they have good racks etc. I don't know anything else besides that sorry
    Update:
    In case anyone else is looking for gyms:
    Sydney Uni Arena Gym is great. Oly Platforms, Power Racks, strongman equipment (not owned by the gym, but a separate club)

UTS (near Broadway) is OK - there is one power rack, a squat rack, an oly platform.

Broadway Gym - No Oly Platform, but a decent gym overall.

Thats about it. I may be forced to sign up for a FF! as its most accessible before work.

cheers

Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Strongman equipment at Sydney Uni Gym is owned by the Sydney Strongman Society. If your on ******** give em a search.
    http://www.aussiestrength.com/forums/

Update - There's also a PCYC in Burwood that offers coaching for Oly Lifting. I havent been there, though.

Originally Posted by ceitach View Post
    Update:
    In case anyone else is looking for gyms:
    Sydney Uni Arena Gym is great. Oly Platforms, Power Racks, strongman equipment (not owned by the gym, but a separate club)

UTS (near Broadway) is OK - there is one power rack, a squat rack, an oly platform.

Broadway Gym - No Oly Platform, but a decent gym overall.

Thats about it. I may be forced to sign up for a FF! as its most accessible before work.

cheers

MaskedManiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaskedManiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaskedManiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaskedManiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaskedManiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaskedManiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaskedManiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaskedManiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaskedManiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaskedManiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaskedManiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ceitach View Post
    Hi,

I just relocated to sydney and am looking to get back into shape. Would anyone be kind enough to recommend a good gym that has facilities for powerlifting or weightlifting ? and that opens fairly early - say, 530am ?

cheers!
    I know this is an older thread but I moved to Sydney from Orlando and the gyms are so behind what we have here that I convinced my wife to moved back to America............Australians which my wife is will argue how great there gyms are not realizing how behind what they have is..........