Your loss becomes my gain AngryLlama's Avatar
    AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Can you develope flu like symptoms from working out too much?

A couple days ago, I really pushed myself to the limit (treadmill) and ever since then, the lower side of my throat began to hurt(below the adams apple). It is not like a strep throat kind of hurt but a hurt that makes you cough and the kind that makes the gross stuff come out. Is this because of running too much without rest and my body does not have time to recover fast enough?

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Intense training acutely suppresses your immune system (as does chronic strenuous training without adequate recovery). So you may have picked something up whist your immune system was compromised.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AngryLlama is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    Intense training acutely suppresses your immune system (as does chronic strenuous training without adequate recovery). So you may have picked something up whist your immune system was compromised.
    Should I take some vitamin C? What kind of things should I be eating to get rid of these symptoms? Argg, this sucks because ever since I got this sore throat, I lost some motivation.. but not enough to not go to the gym!

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I read a while back about the symptoms of overtraining and I remember that they sounded a lot like the flu.

Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    I read a while back about the symptoms of overtraining and I remember that they sounded a lot like the flu.
    i googled over training and it said

* Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy yes
    * Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains yes
    * Pain in muscles and joints yes
    * Sudden drop in performance yes
    * Insomnia
    * Headaches
    * Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats) yes
    * Decrease in training capacity / intensity yes
    * Moodiness and irritability yes
    * Depression
    * Loss of enthusiasm for the sport yes
    * Decreased appetite yes
    * Increased incidence of injuries.
    * A compulsive need to exercise

9/14 I think I am going to take a few days off.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    True overtraining is rare and does not occur with one session. It's from chronic & severe overexercising and underrecovering.

If anything, the OP would more likely be experiencing overreaching if he were hammering himself.

OP - Read this: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...ertraining.htm
    Last edited by in10city; 07-23-2008 at 01:51 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As in10city alludes to, that specific session isn't likely the problem -- BUT if that was one in a long series of intense training for awhile it could certainly be the beginning of some overtraining fatigue. But you'd have to have been working REALLY hard for an extended period of time -- as an example I only got really burned out and needed 2-3 days of rest followed by a week of light workouts after almost four months of intense cutting/5 day a week lifting/6 days a week of cardio. But when I did finally realize i needed to rest I had gotten where I had flu-like symptoms (soreness in the joints, couldn't sleep but always tired, elevated heart rate, runny nose, no appetite).
    "Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure." - Thomas Edison

4/6/2008: 237 lbs, 25-27% BF
    6/20/2008: 218 lbs, 17%-ish BF
    6/28/2008: 214 lbs, 16%-ish BF
    7/11/2008: 212 lbs, 15%-ish BF
    7/17/2008: 210 lbs, 14-15%-ish BF
    9/8/2008: 202 lbs, 11-12% BF
    01/10/2009: 210 lbs, 14% BF
    11/17/2009: 232 lbs, 18% BF

No mas bulking

Originally Posted by scrummie2 View Post
    As in10city alludes to, that specific session isn't likely the problem -- BUT if that was one in a long series of intense training for awhile it could certainly be the beginning of some overtraining fatigue. But you'd have to have been working REALLY hard for an extended period of time -- as an example I only got really burned out and needed 2-3 days of rest followed by a week of light workouts after almost four months of intense cutting/5 day a week lifting/6 days a week of cardio. But when I did finally realize i needed to rest I had gotten where I had flu-like symptoms (soreness in the joints, couldn't sleep but always tired, elevated heart rate, runny nose, no appetite).
    what did you do to recover from that state?

BTW, I read the article, it was interesting and I feel I am seeing the beginning stages of over training :/

i've been going to the gym for about 2 months now and only recently has my nutrition been good.. I'd say for a month I was going morning for cardio and night for lifting andI was only getting like 1400 calories :/

Originally Posted by AngryLlama View Post
    what did you do to recover from that state?

BTW, I read the article, it was interesting and I feel I am seeing the beginning stages of over training :/

i've been going to the gym for about 2 months now and only recently has my nutrition been good.. I'd say for a month I was going morning for cardio and night for lifting andI was only getting like 1400 calories :/
    I've been through true overtraining myself (mono, the whole bit) and it takes backing off on volume and intensity for an appropriate amount of time coupled with good nutrition and active recovery techniques. It took me a very long time but you can implement changes now to mitigate and prevent going down that path too far.

You probably should also reevaluate your training program, rest & recovery techniques, and nutrition (especially surrounding your exercise sessions).