commisaro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Bench Press getting *WORSE*! Help!

Hello all, would appreciate some help with this odd problem which has been really bothering me.

First a bit of background. I am 19 yo, 6'2", 92kg. Two years ago I was weightlifting for about a year, and put on 10kg (was 103kg at peak). At my peak I was benching 70lb barbell in each hand. I was also playing rugby for my university. Then last year I had surgery and couldn't do any exercise for 10 months. This ended just end of April, and since then I have been back to working out.

My main goal this summer has been reducing my body fat percentage, and it has worked really well. I am at my lowest percentage and body-weight in 3 years, down to 92kg. Currently I am riding my bike to and from work every workday, about 30 minutes each way on pretty steep hills. I am also lifting 3 times a week.

I have been making steady gains in all my exercises. I go for 3 sets of 5 reps, since my goal with the lifting is strength, not size currently. I was slowly increasing in weight in all exercises over about 2 months. I'm almost back up to the strength I had before the surgery. At my best I was benching 30kg (66lbs) dumbells in each hand.

Then suddenly I hit a problem: my bench press didn't just plateau, but all of a sudden I couldn't even lift what I was doing before. I had to drop down 5kgs (11 lbs) in each hand, just to get 4-5 reps out! I didn't make any progress for several weeks, so today I tried using a bar, but I could barely get out 3 reps with 50kgs (110lbs)! This is really maddening!

The strange thing is none of my other lifts have seen this problem. I am still making gains with all my other exercises, EVEN with pec flies! This makes absolutely no sense to me. It's only the bench press which is slowly DECREASING!

Can anyone suggest any reason why this could be?

Cheers.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Perhaps you're overdoing it. Try something new.

Also, weight loss can lead to weakness in movements somewhat correlated to body weight (such as the bench press).
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you have been doing it for 2 months as previously suggested try something new. Focus on either incline, dips, or decline instead of flat or switch up from db to Barbells. You could also switch up your rep ranges. You may also need a week off so you dont overtrain. low reps/high weight is extremely fatiguing to your CNS.

ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000)
    Its most likely directly related to your lower bodyweight. My bench always went up and down with my bodyweight more than any other lift.

Enstein once said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. This can definatley be applied to lifting.

If it ain't working anymore, do something else.
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142931161

arom27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) arom27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) arom27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) arom27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) arom27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) arom27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) arom27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) arom27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) arom27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) arom27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) arom27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ROFL, i was just about to start a thread and say basically this exactly.. my bench went up steadily and then bam what used to be relatively ez is getting harder... and like you.. my cable flies and dips are still increasing. I alternate between DB and BB too.. switch it up every week.

I think i need a week off but im afraid if i do this ill lose too much and get discouraged.

NewYorkGiants is a name known to all. (+5000) NewYorkGiants is a name known to all. (+5000) NewYorkGiants is a name known to all. (+5000) NewYorkGiants is a name known to all. (+5000) NewYorkGiants is a name known to all. (+5000) NewYorkGiants is a name known to all. (+5000) NewYorkGiants is a name known to all. (+5000) NewYorkGiants is a name known to all. (+5000) NewYorkGiants is a name known to all. (+5000) NewYorkGiants is a name known to all. (+5000) NewYorkGiants is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by commisaro View Post
    At my peak I was benching 70lb barbell in each hand.
    Well there's your problem, you're holding a barbell in each hand...barbells are 7 feet long bro that's gotta be awkward! jk..your real problem is

Originally Posted by commisaro View Post
    My main goal this summer has been reducing my body fat percentage, and it has worked really well. I am at my lowest percentage and body-weight in 3 years, down to 92kg.
    This is a common experience..when people lose weight they lose strength. Yes it has happened to me every single time I lose weight. You aren't getting enough calories/protein to meet your body's demand to grow muscle. You are noticing it mostly on your bench press because it is a huge compound exercise that requires MUCH more energy than little stuff like triceps extensions and bicep curl. Try upping your calorie intake.
    Reppin all Phillies, 76ers, and NY Giants fans

Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Many people will lose strength when on a cut. My bench has pretty much stalled maybe slightly weaker as I've lost 20 LB's. Once you start bulking again, upping the calories you will be ok.
    ****************************G-Money******************************
    -------------------------------- Chicagoan Crew -----------------------------------
    -----------------------Da Vice President of Da Chicagoan Crew--------------------------------
    -----------=[$]MISC. FINANCE CREW[$]=- (Intern on his way to CEOinggg)---------------------

commisaro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by NewYorkGiants View Post
    This is a common experience..when people lose weight they lose strength. Yes it has happened to me every single time I lose weight. You aren't getting enough calories/protein to meet your body's demand to grow muscle. You are noticing it mostly on your bench press because it is a huge compound exercise that requires MUCH more energy than little stuff like triceps extensions and bicep curl. Try upping your calorie intake.
    Hmm, yeah, I am just confused because my other large compound exercises like dead-lift and clean-and-jerk are making gains.