Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    LIGHT SKINNED MANDINGO G-mane12's Avatar
    G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000)

~The OFFICAL Ohio State FOOTBALL thread~

Yep boyce, its almost that time of the year again

THE PLAY MAKERS

HEISMAN HOPEFUL CHRIS "BEANIE" WELLS HB

LAST YEARS STATS

ATT 274 | YDS 1,609 | TD 15

TODD BOECKMAN QB

LAST YEARS STATS
    RAT 148.9 | YDS 2,379 | TD 25

BRIAN ROBISKIE WR

LAST YEARS STATS
    REC 55 | YDS 935 | TD 11

JAKE BALLARD TE

LAST YEARS STATS
    REC 13 | YDS 149 | TD 2

BRIAN "WHITE CHOCOLATE" HARTLINE WR

LAST YEARS STATS
    REC 52 | YDS 694 | TD 6

RAY "ITS HIS LAST NAME BUT NEVER CALL HIM" SMALL WR/KR

LAST YEARS STATS
    REC 20 | YDS 267 | TD 2
    Last edited by G-mane12; 07-17-2008 at 12:13 PM.
    Stickam: ronniecoleman22

"One morning I woke up and found my favorite pigeon, Julius, had died I was devastated and was gonna use his crate as my stickball bat to honor him. I left the crate on my stoop and went in to get something and I returned to see the sanitation man put the crate into the crusher. I rushed him and caught him flush on the temple with a titanic right hand he was out cold, convulsing on the floor like an infantile retard." -Mike Tyson

G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    DEFENSIZE PLAY MAKERS

JAMES "MOMMA DEY GO DAT MAN AGAIN" Laurinaitis LB

LAST YEARS STATS

121 TACKLES

MARCUS FREEMAN LB

LAST YEARS STATS

109 TACKLES

MALCOLM JENKINS CB

LAST YEARS STATS

47 TACKLES

KURT COLEMAN S

LAST YEARS STATS

64 TACKLES

CAMERON HEYWARD DE

Anderson Russell FS

Last edited by G-mane12; 07-17-2008 at 11:46 AM.

"One morning I woke up and found my favorite pigeon, Julius, had died I was devastated and was gonna use his crate as my stickball bat to honor him. I left the crate on my stoop and went in to get something and I returned to see the sanitation man put the crate into the crusher. I rushed him and caught him flush on the temple with a titanic right hand he was out cold, convulsing on the floor like an infantile retard." -Mike Tyson

PEOPLE THAT NEED TO PERFORM OFF THE BENCH

TERRELL "DA BEST MAYNE" PRYOR

BRANDON SAINE

MAURICE WELLS

Poster above me is a phag Dennis71's Avatar
    Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    in b4 tOSU loses another NC

btw, u just cant give people nick-names
    Misc'in since '07

2x cancer survivor

Location: BBN U KNOW WHAT IT IS, KILLA CALI........U MAD?, Samoa
    bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    see u sept 9th
    bOOgie

THE HORSE SHOE

SCHEDULE

Sat, Aug 30 Youngstown Columbus, Ohio 12:00 p.m.

Sat, Sep 06 Ohio Columbus, Ohio 12:00 p.m. Hall of Fame Day

Sat, Sep 13 USC at Los Angeles, Calif. 8:00 p.m.

Sat, Sep 20 Troy University Columbus, Ohio 12:00 p.m.

Sat, Sep 27 Minnesota * Columbus, Ohio TBA

Sat, Oct 04 Wisconsin * at Madison, Wis. 8:00 p.m.

Sat, Oct 11 Purdue * Columbus, Ohio TBA

Sat, Oct 18 Michigan State * at East Lansing, Mich. TBA

Sat, Oct 25 Penn State * Columbus, Ohio 8:00 p.m. Homecoming

Sat, Nov 08 Northwestern * at Evanston, Ill. TBA

Sat, Nov 15 Illinois * at Champaign, Ill. TBA

Sat, Nov 22 Michigan * Columbus, Ohio TBA
    Last edited by G-mane12; 07-17-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Heisman To Do List for Beanie Wells

1. Show up against Southern Cal.

The Buckeyes don't have to win this game, but it sure would help the cause. Last year, Wells ran for 146 yards in the loss to LSU and seemed to gain respect in doing so, so the same would hold true this year. Anything over 100 yards against the mighty, mighty Trojans would be seen as an individual success. With 100 yards and a victory, Wells immediately becomes the "1B" to Tim Tebow's "1A". However, with 170 yards or more, Wells becomes both "1A" and "1B". At least for a week.

2. No injuries.

Had Maurice Clarett not battled injuries and missed games in 2002, I have no doubt that he would have been invited to New York as a freshman. Given that Chris Wells played the season throughout with injuries last season and was given a game off to heal up (Kent State, where he had four carries), avoidance of injuries is paramount. If we take off Wells' game against Kent and instead replace his 17 yards with what he averaged every other game last season, his 1,609 yards would become 1,725 yards--which is right about the minimum of what you need to win the Heisman. Don't believe me? Over the last twenty years, six running backs have won the award (averaging 2,020 yards rushing per season), with USC's Reggie Bush having the lowest rushing total at 1,658 yards, but Bush also added nearly 400 yards receiving onto that. Chris Wells won't have 400 yards receiving, so he'll need to keep his eyes on the 1,700-yard mark. However, Darren McFadden finished second in the Heisman voting in 2006 (1,647 yards ) and 2007 (1,725 yards), so maybe 1,800 yards would be a more remarkable target.

3. Be big in big games.

In the four games against Big Ten opponents who filled out the rest of the top five in the conference standings last season, Chris Wells averaged 150 yards rushing, including 222 against Michigan when everybody knew he was getting the ball. Of course, also in those four games was a 76-yard outing in the loss to Illinois. Had this been a win, his poor numbers could be forgiven, especially considering he scored two touchdowns in that game. However, a game in which Wells is perceived to have gotten "shut down", especially in a loss, could be disastrous. In 2006 and 2007, McFadden had a few of these types of games, and it may have cost him the award last season. If Beanie can start the season with a strong game at USC and finish it equally as strong against Michigan, this could be his year. And if he manages to put up good numbers at Wisconsin, the Michigan game may be the perfect way for Wells to finish his campaign.

4. No duds.

This follows right along with the above item. Last season, Beanie had games of 46 yards against Youngstown State and 17 yards against Kent State. I don't think anybody's asking for 200 yards per game against opponents that he could certainly get it against. Rather, just needs not to look bad. Not that Wells looked bad against Kent State, because he didn't. He was barely in long enough to earn his letter. But the Youngstown State game was definitely not Beanie's best effort. He would be best served to approach 100 yards if he gets the same 16 carries that he got last year. Against Auburn last season, McFadden was held to 43 yards rushing on 17 carries in a 9-7 loss. Two weeks later, Florida International held him to 61 yards on 19 carries. It took a 206-yard rushing day at LSU to get him back in the race. It's doubtful that a 200-yard day against Michigan in 2008 will carry as much weight as one against LSU's 2007 team, so Beanie may not have as much leeway as McFadden did last year.

5. Be consistent.

There are two ways to average 150 yards rushing per game. The first would be to have 200-yard games mixed in with various 80-yard games. The second would be to always be around the 150-yard mark. If you're always putting up good numbers, you're never going to find yourself on somebody's Heisman Watch article with a downward-pointing arrow next to your name. (Not that the majority of you would ever find yourself on anybody's Heisman watch list.)

6. Nickname your stiffarm.

This isn't a necessity, but it couldn't hurt. I may have written in the past about how we need to come up with a name for Beanie's stiffarm, but I'm not sure anything mentioned really suffices. Just some options to think about: The Dehumanizer; The Punisher; The Emasculator; The Crucible; The Annihilator; and The Bean Pole (we may have nixed that one a while back). I don?t want to be the only one using this nickname, so we need to come to some sort of collective agreement.

7. Have a signature game.

In 2005, Reggie Bush compiled 513 all-purpose yards, including 294 yards rushing, against Fresno State. It was this game that put him on top of the Heisman list. Ten years earlier, Eddie George rushed for 314 yards against the Illini--who at that time were the Buckeyes? second rival. This game put him on top of the list after his 200-yard rushing games against Washington and Notre Dame put him on it. Even Rashaan Salaam had a signature game. In 1994, one week after rushing for 165 yards in Michigan Stadium, Salaam nearly doubled that output with a 312-yard game against the Texas Longhorns. As you can see, a 300-yard rushing game would be a John Hancock-like signature.

8. Improve from last season.

This should go without saying, but I?m saying it anyway. Beanie rushed for 1,463 yards in the regular season last year, averaging 121.9 yards per game. That?s not good enough to make it to New York. I?m not asking for 150 yards per game--since no Buckeye has ever managed that, but he will need to average around 140 yards per game to have an argument. You could probably make that one of the items on the checklist: Average at least 140 yards rushing per game.

9. Beat Michigan.

This isn?t a necessity, as Eddie George found out. However, item #9 should be on all Buckeyes? lists--Heisman candidate or not. Plus, you always like to have those goals that are easy to reach--they make you feel better about yourself. It?s like shooting for a C in gym class. However, you can?t just focus on USC and Michigan, because two or three losses throughout the rest of the schedule would likely spell doom for Beanie?s chances.

10. Quarterback candidates need some slip ups.

Not counting Tim Tebow, only six running backs have won the Heisman Trophy over the last twenty years. Quarterbacks have won the award twice as much during that same span, so it?s obvious that the award is geared towards the single-callers. So not only does a running back like Beanie have to battle his opponents, he has to hope no quarterback blows up (Tim Tebow in 2007) or is the best player on the best team (Troy Smith in 2006). If the Florida Gators are undefeated, it will be tough for Wells to win the award over Tebow, as he?d meet both the 2006 and 2007 criteria. Also, with quarterbacks of potential championship teams like Sam Bradford at Oklahoma, Chase Daniel at Missouri and Jimmy Clausen at Notre Dame already well-known, the potential is there for a Troy Smith-type of year. Beanie can?t do anything about this piece of the list, but if he handles eight or nine of the other items, it may not matter what anybody else does this season.

(ARTICLE BY TODD GERDEMAN)

VernonWellsFargo is not very helpful. (-500) VernonWellsFargo is not very helpful. (-500) VernonWellsFargo is not very helpful. (-500) VernonWellsFargo is not very helpful. (-500) VernonWellsFargo is not very helpful. (-500) VernonWellsFargo is not very helpful. (-500) VernonWellsFargo is not very helpful. (-500) VernonWellsFargo is not very helpful. (-500) VernonWellsFargo is not very helpful. (-500) VernonWellsFargo is not very helpful. (-500) VernonWellsFargo is not very helpful. (-500)
    this thread is relevant to my interests

Originally Posted by macnificent View Post
    see u sept 9th
    Yep, that game will decide both of our teams season... its gonna be a great game, I'm predicting a Ohio State win 24-21 (cestor prediction)

Location: BBN U KNOW WHAT IT IS, KILLA CALI........U MAD?, Samoa
    bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bOOgie CurlZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by G-mane12 View Post
    Yep, that game will decide both of our teams season... its gonna be a great game, I'm predicting a Ohio State win 24-21 (cestor prediction)
    bOOgie

ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Saine is faster than Teddy Ginn and much more likely to actually hit someone trying to tackle him

Biggest suprise may be the two unhyped freshman coming in, Mike Adams and Jacob Stonebruner, from Dublin Coffman
    Buckeyes / Indians / Cavs / Browns

Originally Posted by LSH chaplain View Post
    Saine is faster than Teddy Ginn and much more likely to actually hit someone trying to tackle him

Biggest suprise may be the two unhyped freshman coming in, Mike Adams and Jacob Stonebruner, from Dublin Coffman
    Yeah man, Saine is going to be a special player... I'm so exicted for this year, we're stacked at EVERY position and our incoming freshmen class is great from top to bottom

Last edited by G-mane12; 07-17-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Ejjw18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ejjw18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ejjw18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ejjw18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ejjw18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ejjw18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ejjw18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ejjw18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ejjw18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ejjw18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ejjw18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I cannot wait for Sep 13th. This is the year.
    -Misc Firearms Crew-

*Bears, Blackhawks, Buckeyes, Bulls and Sox*

**-Chicagoan Crew(chief of staff)-**

MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    In. This thread is also relevant to my interests.

tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You have go to be pumped about the fact that we already have 24 recruits signed for the 2009 season too. Jim Tressel will be a bigger legend than Woody Hayes by the time its done.

ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ObedEdom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tralexander25 View Post
    Jim Tressel will be a bigger legend than Woody Hayes by the time its done.
    and it couldnt happen to a better person. Youve got to be impressed with Coach's character...class act
    Buckeyes / Indians / Cavs / Browns

tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tralexander25 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Agreed. I know a guy who was down on campus about a month ago and saw Tress and asked him to sign something for his kid. Not only did Tress sign, you took him into the facility and had someone of the guys who where lifting sign to. Plus, whenever you see him on TV or the media, he always is professional, regardless of the situation.

I want to play a game... JIGSAW's Avatar
    JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Talking

God made Ohio State #1.

Florida made them #2.............TWICE.

I walk amongst you.......but I am not one of you.

Got to love these ****ing SEC jackoffs

JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JIGSAW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Got to love these ****ing SEC jackoffs
    SEC PWNS ALL.

So go post in a SEC thred and talk about how you guys POWN all. Don't come here and talk about it. I respect the SEC, just respect us back.

So go post in a SEC thred and talk about how you guys POWN all. Don't come here and talk about it. I respect the SEC, just respect us back.
    Damn......what happened, can't talk a little smack with Ohio State fans anymore.....???

u soft now?

wagz125 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wagz125 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wagz125 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wagz125 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wagz125 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wagz125 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wagz125 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wagz125 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wagz125 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wagz125 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wagz125 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Looking forward to another great year from the Buckeyes
    ++ Positive Crew ++
    With great sacrifice comes great reward.

Jim Tressel will be a bigger legend than Woody Hayes by the time its done.
    Originally Posted by LSH chaplain View Post
    and it couldnt happen to a better person. Youve got to be impressed with Coach's character...class act
    Yep... Have you guys heard about his book that just came out?

http://www.theozone.net/football/2008/bookrelease.htm

I'm planning on buying it next time i make it out to barnes & noble

http://www.amazon.com/Winners-Manual.../dp/141432569X

^^ amazon link
    Last edited by G-mane12; 07-18-2008 at 11:11 AM.

Yeah, I am def going to pick this up. As a future football coach, I would love to hear what Tress has to say about running a program.

BigDreams21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDreams21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDreams21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDreams21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDreams21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDreams21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDreams21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDreams21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDreams21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDreams21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDreams21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lets go bucks, strong thread

20 Questions You Were Dying to Have Answered About the Buckeyes

By Tony Gerdeman

1. Can Todd Boeckman be a National Champion quarterback?

Let me answer that question with a question. Do these numbers look like the numbers of a championship quarterback: 14-29 for 129 yards and two interceptions; 4-10 for 79 yards; and 7-21 for 122 yards and two interceptions? Well, they are. Those are Craig Krenzel's stats against Cincinnati, Washington State and Miami in 2002. As you can see, having the best single-season won-loss record in recorded college football history doesn't necessarily mean it's always going to be pretty. Would it help if Boeckman didn't have three interception games? Of course. Are quarterbacks generally better their second year of starting as opposed to their first? Absolutely. Will that also hold true for Todd Boeckman? I don't see why not. Boeckman will cut down on his turnovers this season and you will see marked improvement in that area. I have no doubt that Boeckman can be a championship quarterback.

2. How much Terrelle Pryor will we see?

Well, everybody likes to presume that the Buckeyes will use Pryor a lot like Florida used Tim Tebow in 2006. And if we look back to 2006, Tebow had 122 touches in 14 games. He threw 33 passes and carried the ball 89 times for an average of 8.7 touches per game. Of course, he had more actual snaps than that, because he would also hand off on rare occasions. So this gives us a base of what we might see from Pryor. However, Tebow was used as the team's power back?and the Buckeyes already have that. Tebow was also the team's second leading rusher. I doubt the Buckeyes need that, either. Basically, Tebow was used out of necessity. Pryor will be used out of luxury. But he will still be used. The number most are tossing around would be 10-15 snaps, and that's what I'm going with as well. I think that could be low, however, based on whether or not Pryor is going to be given a series or two, or whether he's going to be substituted in. If he is going to get an actual series or two, then those numbers could go up because he would also be used for situational plays throughout the game. However, I think we've found that siding conservatively with statistical projections of Jim Tressel's teams is usually the wiser course.

3. How do you replace Vernon Gholston's 14 sacks?

With depth. Yes, Vernon Gholston is gone, but the Buckeyes will be deeper at defensive end than they were a year ago. Consider that at this time a year ago, many believed that Lawrence Wilson was the best player on the defensive line. Wilson is now healthy. Also ready to go should be Robert Rose, who was injured nearly all season, yet still started four games. And then there's the surprise of the freshman class last season, Cameron Heyward. Heyward made an impact quickly and ended up starting the last eight games of the season while Robert Rose spelled him when possible. Oh, and we can't forget Thaddeus Gibson. All you need to know about Gibson's potential can be summed up in one sack in the Wisconsin game last season where he tossed aside a 320-pound right tackle and leveled Tyler Donovan with extreme prejudice. And then there's the blitzing. Oh, the blitzing?

4. Can the Buckeyes be the first team since the 1927 Wolverines to win a fifth consecutive game in this series?

Yes. This will only be the Buckeyes' third attempt at winning a fifth consecutive game in this series. In 1938, Michigan came into Columbus and undoubtedly cheated and gouged their way to an 18-0 win. Then in 1964, given the extreme homefield advantage that Michigan enjoyed, they stole one from the Buckeyes 10-0. (This was a pretty easy question to answer.)

5. Is the Pony Back a token set, or will it actually be used?

Yes. (These options aren't exactly mutually exclusive. The Pony Back set will just be a token set, but it will also actually be used. Next time, maybe you should formulate the questions better.) If you're not sure what the "Pony Back" set is, it's basically just split tailbacks--much like we saw in the mid-90's when Walt Harris was the quarterbacks coach for the Buckeyes. As we saw when the coaching staff went to New Orleans last year to learn about using two tailbacks together, just because they study it doesn't mean they implement it. However, with the added emphasis of dumping the ball off, having a running back or two in the flats is always a great option. Keep in mind, Eddie George had 47 receptions his senior season--most via the dump off, so flipping the ball into the flats doesn't always need to be a fall-back plan.

6. Who will be the third linebacker?

It depends. There will be plenty of different situations which warrant different combinations. When it's a passing down, we may see somebody like Tyler Moeller who is a little bit better in pass coverage. When it's a running down, we could see Curtis Terry in there as a run-stopping specialist. And then you also have to have Ross Homan out there somewhere. And who knows how often the Buckeyes will even need a third linebacker. In 2006, the Buckeyes started five defensive backs about nine times. Of course, in 2006, they were also replacing Bobby Carpenter, Anthony Schlegel and A.J. Hawk, so there weren't as many choices back then as there are now.

7. Who is going to be Ohio State's starting right tackle?

Bryant Browning. He was with the ones in the spring and I don't expect that to change this summer. He held up well in the spring and proved to be a pretty immovable force. Many were expecting incoming freshman Mike Adams to win the right tackle job and handle that side for a year before moving over to left tackle--much like Orlando Pace did back in the day. However, Adams missing the spring due to surgery has foiled those plans...for now.

8. Where will Chris Wells finish (assuming 2008 is his finisher) on the all-time Ohio State rushing list?

Second. Wells currently has 2,185 rushing yards in his career--good enough for 16th all-time (even though Ohio State's record book has him 15th). He is currently 1,583 yards behind Eddie George, who has held down the second spot since his graduation. Last season, Wells rushed for 1,609 yards, which was the fourth-highest total in the history of Ohio State. He would have to be a pretty good bet to match or better those numbers this season--if Jim Tressel wants him to. In case you were wondering, Chris Wells would only have to rush for 3,405 yards to claim the top spot from Archie Griffin.

9. Aside from Terrelle Pryor, which freshman will make the biggest impact this season?

If he was healthy, Mike Adams would probably be the easy answer here. Just looking at the freshmen, it's amazing that for a class so highly-rated, the Buckeyes could choose to redshirt the vast majority of them because they won't necessarily be needed this year. However, since the Buckeyes will lose so many players after this season, getting the incoming freshmen on the field this season will pay dividends in 2009. I really have no idea who to pick here. I'm thinking the answer is probably going to be tackle J.B. Shugarts since he's been here since the Spring and has been healthy and completely immersed in football. But then how can you name the third or fourth or fifth tackle as the freshman that's going to have the biggest impact? So let's go with wideout Jake Stoneburner. At 6'5" 230-ish, he's a match-up problem wherever he lines up. I can see him getting a handful of touchdown catches this season.

10. Who will lead the Buckeyes in interceptions?

Free safety Anderson Russell. Yes, I know he dropped the ball like he was Braylon Edwards on a crucial third down all season long, but I don't care. He was in a position to make interceptions, and he will be in that same position this season. Except now, hopefully, he is no longer dealing with acute manus iratus ("angry hands"). It is probably safe to assume Anderson Russell has been working on catching the ball like he's never done before--and I'm predicting that it will pay off this year. Besides, who's gonna throw at Malcolm Jenkins now that Anthony Morelli is gone?

11. Will 2008 see Ohio State's first 1,000-yard receiver since Michael Jenkins in 2002? (There have only been four.)

I'm torn on this one. On one hand, Todd Boeckman will throw fewer interceptions this season, which means more yards for his receivers--namely Brian Robiskie, who finished with 935 yards receiving last year. On the other hand, there are a lot of people to throw to this season, so I would be surprised to see the numbers so skewed to just Robiskie and Hartline (694 yards) this season. But since the question must be answered, I'll go with "no". In the Buckeyes' final seven games last season, Robiskie only averaged 48.7 yards receiving per game. Perhaps the staff will want the catches to be spread out better so that the defense can't just key on one guy like it appears they did with Robiskie.

12. Will we see a second-team offensive line unit that gets quality playing time this season?

Definitely. The Buckeyes have more depth than they did a season ago and with three starting linemen playing their final season this year, the staff will want to get as much experience for the young kids as possible in an effort to make the 2009 transition an easier one. The scary thing is, if everybody could stay healthy, they'd actually be able to field a third line as well.

13. Will anybody other than Beanie have a 100-yard rushing game this season?

No. With three or four back-up running backs and a back-up quarterback that can run like Terrelle Pryor, there are just too many carries to split up to expect one player to get enough carries to reach 100 yards--without a 65-yarder mixed in somewhere, at least.

14. Is this the year Ray Small "steps it up"?

I'm not in the group that feels he has underperformed to this point, but I'm also not convinced that this is the year he does something outrageous. People are waiting for Ray Small to emerge as the next Ted Ginn, but how many Ted Ginns did we see before Ted Ginn? One? Ray Small has done pretty much what every other quality wide receiver has done at Ohio State in his first two seasons. And with so much receiver depth, I don't really see enough passes going Small's way to think that he'll have a breakout season in 2008. I do, however, think he could add more than he has on special teams. Averaging 17.8 yards on kick returns and 7.3 yards per punt return are very below average. Hopefully, things will improve in this area greatly in 2008.

15. If linebacker Brian Rolle leaves the train station traveling at top speed and the opposing team's kick returner leaves slightly after, also traveling at top speed, when the two meet, which county does the ball-carrier end up in?

Either Delaware or Pickaway County, depending on which direction the kick came from.

16. Who will be the offense's breakout performer this season?

Running back Brandon Saine. He probably won't take too many carries from Chris Wells, but they'll still find ways to get him the ball. Last season, Saine had 72 touches, but that number will definitely go up this season. Brandon Saine was the fourth-leading receiver in terms of yardage for the Buckeyes last season--and he was the third-string tailback. Obviously, the staff wants him involved in many different ways, and they've spent an offseason trying to find ways to put him in positions to succeed. Expect to see him lined up everywhere except quarterback and offensive line.

17. Who will be the defense's breakout performer this season?

Defensive end Lawrence Wilson. I'm not sure people really understand what Wilson is capable of. Wilson should be able to do it all at defensive end this season. He can stop the run and he can rush the passer. And after missing all of last season, save for the Youngstown State game, I'm guessing there isn't a hungrier player on this defense. Without a doubt, Wilson will have to be accounted for on every single down this year.

18. Who will lead the Buckeyes in sacks this year?

Defensive end Lawrence Wilson. He's shooting to pick up the entire Gholston slack this season, so that's fourteen sacks he's looking for. I'll go with twelve.

19. Will the Wisconsin game be a tougher matchup than the USC game?

It won't be tougher, but it will be just as tough. The Badgers are actually in a similar situation to the Trojans in that they've got a ton of offense and defense back, but they're both breaking in new quarterbacks. USC probably has more individual talent, but the Wisconsin game will be a tougher venue. The Badgers have won three of the last five games against the Buckeyes and Ohio State hasn't won consecutive games in this series since 1995 and 1996.

20. Aside from USC, the schedule is cake, right?

Wrong. ESPN and the like will tell you that the coast is clear after the USC game, but four conference road games against probable bowl teams (Wisconsin, Michigan State, Northwestern and Illinois) isn't exactly a breeze. Yes, they'll likely be favored in each game, but go ask USC or Stanford about being favored.

gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500)
    At first I was like...

But then I was like...

ئەنسیکلۆپێدیایFlorida Gators Crewئەنسیکلۆپێدیای

B.S. in Applied Physiology and Kinesiology
    College of Health and Human Performance
    University of Florida