Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Straight into keto heaven

This will be my keto log.

Just started today, and pics will follow on Saturday.

Measurements will be a problem, but I'll try to provide weekly weights. As far as bf% goes, I'll snap a pic and you be the judge. I'm 5'9" and last time I looked at a scale was a week ago with 169.4 lbs. (I guesstimate that my bf% is around 18%)

I want to thank fitnessman and eileen who have been a great help.

Thursday Jul 10.
    2103kCal
    137g P/ 40g C/ 152g F
    (carbs contain around 50% fiber as I stick to broccoli/spinach)

Had my weightlifting workout today and man was it intense. Maybe I was overhyped about keto, but every rep was felt like never before and I really felt depleted by the time I was done. Mid workout I experienced a feeling of weakness (like the one you get before flu breaks out, or you had a bit too much to drink) and downed my pwo (10g dextrose and scoop of whey). Finished my remaining sets and went home.

I'll switch to a new workout routine in maybe a week or two, as I feel that nearly all areas my body need work. I'm gonna stick to rippetoe's starting strength after my knee is fit again. It's going to be hard without a coach, but the instructors in the gym are effing clueless and the stuff I've seen them do with other people was pretty dangerous. (prone to injury)

I had some eggs and bacon/broccoli/spinach/different kinds of cheese/chicken/tuna/mayo oilve oil/salad....you know the works.
    I can provide a detailed listing if anyone wants to see it.

I love the simplicity of meal management with only protein and fat to be concerned about. Why didn't I discover this way before?

Carb up will be only in a week or maybe even two. I'll try to only increase calories by 10-15%, and see what happens.

Following posts will be a lot shorter and hopefully more entertaining
    This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Self Discipline is telling that little voice in your head to shut the f$%k up.

cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyanize is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well I decided to post more details about my nutrition, maybe I'm doing something wrong....this way you guys can tip me off.

Carb up will be in 2 weeks, and my knee seems to be getting better each day. So cardio will be back in the program sooner than expected.

Any takes on fasted cardio on keto? I'm contemplating adding a LISS brisk walking for 30-45 mins. each day before my breakfast.

Plus rippetoe's starting strength routine on 3 days (later on maybe 3 days of HIIT on the off-days) starting either next week or the week after that (depending on knee).

Keto food is awesome

Ok, I'll integrate morning cardio into the routine, about 30-45 minutes of brisk walking 4-4.5 mph until my knee fully recovers. This will be replaced by a 130-140bpm jogging session later on.

As most of you can see in my profile, I don't have a huge arsenal of muscles and the major muscle groups are underdeveloped as I've been avoiding big weights. (or let's say I was working with the same weights for quite some time) yeah I was a pussie, but my mindset changed over the last few days.

Progress wise...pictures are coming tomorrow, as I don't have the camera charger with me and batteries are dead. From the mirror I could tell that some belly fat was gone after merely two days into keto (maybe it was just water). Love handles are pretty much the same. I'm thinking about doing the carb-up waaay later on, as I'm around 18% bf and there's enough fat to burn.

Overall I don't really feel too much different.

I really need to hit those weights, and the knee is definitely slowing down progress. As I can't do any of the big compounds like squat/deadlift. There's another consideration. A friend of mine who has really nice muscles told me that what he did was to incorporate rippetoe's starting strength into an HST routine. And he had some amazing success with that.

I still think that I should be eating around 2600-2800kCal, but my body got used to 2100 as maintenance and cutting is definitely slower if I just keep at this level. I've considered dropping the cals to say 1900 until more workouts can be done (after knee is ok), maybe that helps.

Pictures coming tomorrow and weight today at the gym.

Ok added a small video of me into my profile....taken a week ago.
    Last edited by cyanize; 07-11-2008 at 11:20 PM.

I've been considering taking my digital camcorder to the gym and taping my workouts. Anybody who's doing that here?

As there's really no coach available, and the gym instructors have no clue, maybe of the more experienced guys here could take on the task....just an idea of mine. I'm not even sure if the gym allows that.

I'll go swimming for an hour today and do my workout in the evening as usual. At least the gym is totally empty on saturdays and sundays so I can do work on the form without interruptions.

Just got back from the gym and made two important realizations, but first....man was the workout AWESOME today. I totally forgot that my knee was injured and did all the leg exercises too. (guess the doc's powder works better than expected)

1. Keto rocks, I had sustained energy through the whole workout (no ups and downs as with carbs), and man was it intense. ( I was sweating the same as HIIT) I went through the whole HST routine and managed to incorporate Rippetoe's regimen into it.

2. I might be one of the people whose muscles can handle more load than their joints/ligaments. My knee injury wasn't the first one, and all happened when I was trying to set new PR's. The muscles were sore, but nothing extraordinary, after 2 days the joint pain set in.

So I just decided to start from a safe weight and make 5lbs increases between workouts so my body can better adapt to the load, instead of the 5/10/15 RM's.

The last two workouts were the best ina long time, lifted more weight then ever before and kept strict form, even on the pendaly rows.

this is great

HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    U should check out fitday.com and setup an account. Then you're able to post a link to your daily food intake and such. You can also custom build foods to exactly what you're eating. I love it
    Bachelor and Master of Exercise Science at Miami University

Doctorate of Physical Therapy Student at Jefferson College of Health Professions

Stayin' Shredded is what I do

I already considered fitday.com, I'm just too lazy to switch from my trusty excel sheet. Plus I'd have to really enter each an every food I eat, as most stuff here in Europe has different values and is measured in grams, not cups/tbsp./oz....I just hate the whole conversion stuff.

Anyway, 3 days into keto, my stomach is a lot flatter and the love handles seem to be shrinking, although definition isn't as nice as a week before (must be the lighting conditions and the crappy digicam).

I'm probably moving the carb-up back another week so it's going to be 3 weeks of keto before the first. It just seems to give me way more sustained energy than carbs. And I love it. Plus I'm sticking to my HST/Rippetoe hybrid routine, as I really enjoyed the workout yesterday.

I can't get any ketostix here unfortunately, but with my carb consumption there's no way I'm not in keto.

Let the fat melt away.....I'm so looking forward to my keto bulk, as soon as I drop to 8-9% bf.
    Attached Images

Ok, I got my lazy ass off and did the fitday.com thing.

For your enjoyment.:

Did a 35 minute brisk walk yesterday in the morning....I enjoy fasted cardio for some reason.

Today, I couldn't do a morning session, so I'll just add like 30 minutes on the stationary bike or elliptical after my workout in the gym. I already see how it's gonna be packed again.

Knee is a lot better now, I'll go through the complete HST/Rip routine again, the next two weeks will be 15rep sets, and the lower weight will help my joints/ligaments to adapt.

Don't have BF measurements, but stomach is definitely more flat. I'm considering that Omron BF tester, to at least track changes (even if it's not precise).

Weight went down from 169.4 to 167. Awesome.

I'm gonna reformat the reporting in the log, so it'll be easier to track progress both for moi and all you die hard ketoer's out there.

Day 5
    energy Intake: http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJourn...?Owner=cyanize

2055kCal
    155g FAT (1395kCal)
    26.7g net CARBS (107kCal)
    138g PROTEIN (553kCal)

Energy expenditure:
    weightlifting: 50 mins. ~ 390kCal
    warm-up and post weight cardio: 30 mins. ~ 210kCal
    Total: 600kCal

Balance for the day: 1455kCal

PS: stats will be provided on a weekly basis, makes no sense to stand on the scale each day. BF% will be visual only.
    Last edited by cyanize; 07-14-2008 at 07:32 AM.

I managed to dig up some older pics, just to give you an idea what I used to look like before. These date a couple years back, so you can imagine that my progression was not positive until the beginning of this year.

This on is more recent, from about 3 years ago. Yeah I know, should have taken pics before I started, but didn't really occur to me back then.
    I always shied away from photos, because I didn't look good on them. Cause I was a fat mofo.

You can add like 10lbs to that last picture and that would sorta be me beginning of 2008 (clocking in at 209lbs).

Magic-MJ-Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Magic-MJ-Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Magic-MJ-Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Magic-MJ-Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Magic-MJ-Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Magic-MJ-Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Magic-MJ-Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Magic-MJ-Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Magic-MJ-Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Magic-MJ-Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Magic-MJ-Music is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey dude

So far, it looks awesome.

Please be kind, to post about your muscles.
    Do you feel you've lost any kind of muscles?
    Perhaps later you will, I dont know.
    Please keep that updated

Anyway, DAMN!!! That picture in your profile..
    You look like that guy from the movie "Supersize Me"
    Holy ****..

Keep going strong

Check out my own keto diet log. Just started.

rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    will be reading this with great interest bud. best of luck to you!

Day 6

1894kCal
    141g FAT (1271kCal)
    14.2g net CARBS (57kCal)
    141g PROTEIN (566kCal)

Energy expenditure:
    had to ditch the morning workout, 'cause my knee was hurting like hell again. I'll do an hour of biking in the afternoon. ~450kCal

Balance for the day: 1444kCal

EDIT: yesterdays workout wasn't as great as on the weekend, energy was lower, so I had to lower weights a little on the major compounds. Since I'm doing 15 rep sets, it's fine anyway. As I started squatting my knee pain came back and I wasn't able to finish the set. I think I'll tone down the weights to prevent further damage to my knee and maybe there's another opportunity to strengthen form with some exercises. Had trouble with pendaly rows yesterday....but the most disappointing thing was...I couldn't do a single chinup...what a shame. Maybe I can use the weeks until my knee fully heals to get perfect execution of all exercises.

EDIT2: Stomach and love handles were reeeeally flat this morning, I was so proud
    Last edited by cyanize; 07-15-2008 at 01:31 AM.

As far as muscle is concerned... I'm not losing any, in fact ever since I began my journey in January, I've packed on some lean muscle mass...and I did a lot of stupid mistakes. Last few months, the process is a lot slower since I'm constantly on a cut, burning more than I get through food. Muscles still grew to accommodate the increasing load. I'm pretty sure, when I start my keto bulk, I'll be packing some serious muscle in a year or so.

What I really hate is that 10 years of inactivity, caused my right arm to be slightly more developed than the left one (I'm right handed), and it sucks every time I look in the mirror. (But I can't change too much until I start bulking)

I'll drop all leg exercises for the next two weeks. Makes no sense to repeat yesterday before the knee is fully recovered. It was stupid of me to think it could handle the load after such a short time.

This unfortunately means, I'll have to skip cardio too. I'll do my gym routine without the leg exercises. And try the rowing simulator/bike on low intensity.
    Calories will have to go down too, at least on the off days, I'm thinking 1800 should be fine and shouldn't provoke a starvation response.

I'm getting tired of this knee issue, but I should have listened to my doc.

rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    shame you have to drop all cardio. helps so much!

also- do you have a carb-up every week when using dextrose pwo?
    Last edited by rhysox; 07-15-2008 at 05:18 AM.

I'll wait with the carb-up, on the 2nd of August I'll have a full day of carbs. That'll be 3 weeks into keto, as my dad's brother will be 60 yrs old and I have to attend.

As far dextrose goes I only used 10-12g for PWO, so no biggie. But after reading some more, I'll ditch the dextrose for the next couple of weeks. As I don't need the glycogen refresh and I sure as hell don't need the additional insulin spike. So it'll be a whey only shake for PWO.

I'll still try to do some cardio, but it'll be very low intensity to prevent further joint irritation. (walking 3.5mph for an hour or biking as it has less impact) As I'd probably go insane if I didn't burn those extra calories.

Edit: Just noticed that I didn't answer your question. Well my take on the whole dextrose for PWO issue is that, you don't need it. The dextrose only fulfills tow functions...enhances the transportation of nutrients (negligible) and refills a small part of muscle glycogen. But since you already super-compensate for glycogen depletion on your carb-up day, there's no reason for the dextrose in the PWO (unless you take at least 30g to replenish more glycogen) and are lifting relatively heavy weights. If you do PWO dextrose then I'd recommend a longer than weekly carb-up cycle, so you actually reach depletion with the last workout and stay longer in ketosis. If you don't do dextrose for PWO, then you can hit it on the carb-up day.

Personally the 10-12g are just messing things up. That's why I ditched it.
    Last edited by cyanize; 07-15-2008 at 09:46 AM.

Just came back from 1.5 hrs of low intensity cycling, it was like a scenic ride (around 95-105 bpm). I must have burned ~400kCal and this is way more than I hoped for today, after the knee disaster I woke up to this morning.

And I got some seriously good news, as I was cycling I met up with a friend of mine who happens to be a doctor that specializes in this kind of injuries. He quickly diagnosed that it wasn't anything serious, hence the relatively quick recovery I experienced. No damaged menisci or cartilage as it seems, only ligaments seem to be affected as the pain appears only in certain motions and there might be some "trauma" in the patellar tendon, posterior cruciate ligament and the medial collateral ligament....and a slight inflammation in the joint itself due to trauma. (my last leg press PR attempt).

Hopefully it won't take more than 3 weeks to completely recover if I leave out "serious" weights in the gym and keep to low impact cardio.

fair do's mate, thanks for clearing that up! glad your injuries aren't too bad! just get on the LISS cardio and keep your diet as clean as you can & you'll be fine

You could call me Mr.Clean when referring to diets. I had no cheat meals for the past 6 months. I have no cravings...which is a good thing I guess. I love keto more and more, since I just do 1 shopping session a week and then slice the cheese/meat/whatever into portions and eat them over time, hitting my macros. (no need for hitting the store every other day).

Day 7

1869kCal
    132g FAT (1188kCal)
    18.2 g net CARBS (73kCal)
    152g PROTEIN (608kCal)

Energy expenditure:
    Weights: 45 minutes ~ 300kCal
    Cardio: 40 minutes LISS ~ 200kCal

Balance: 1369kCal

I'm thinking about eating a few slices of some salami to up the caloric intake about 100kCal.

Visual progress: love handles and stomach are shrinking even more.
    Pics and stats coming this weekend.

wow, I started feeling like crap after a ride in the centrifuge, around noon. Energy is at an all time low at the moment. I even had to suppress thinking about carbs (first time this happened in a long time). My mental processes are so slow right now...and I'm getting these slow-mo like impressions (they're like the ones I used to have when I drank a lot of alcohol...like mini-blackouts).

We'll see how the workout goes tonight.

do you use any fat-burners at all? or take any caffeine supplements? they'll really take the edge off you feeling like crap!! i'm so close to my holiday now that i'm really going full on with the cardio.. low calories & fat burners are really helping me stay awake! i'm finding that i'm needing sleep more than ever at the moment. my joints really hurt and really need a rest! you're taking in quite a lot of protein, but if it's working- don't change it! i found that if i took in too much protein, it really affected my keto results. good progress tho dude, if you're losing weight, you're doing it right! regarding the salami.. do you really need it??

Got back from the gym, workout turned out ok. Only had to lower weights a little bit. But managed to do all my favorite compounds, deadlift, squat, bench and even 35 mins. stationary bike with 120bpm avg.

I think it burned more then I had planned for today. The "stupid" feeling went away as soon as finished warming up. I'm not a big fan of fat burners, but might consider some just for the stim effects. Or maybe I'll just start using my purple wraath intra workout, the beta alanine should take care of things.

Rhys....I have the same symptoms, but we'll get over it. Sleep is unfortunately something I've been lacking lately, I net out at 6hrs. max. Hmm...I try to take in 1g prot/1lbs of lean body mass, that's somewhere around 140g, shouldn't be that much, and the ratios fit. And the salami is like 37g per serving, and I needed a filler

The Whey PWO, caused that I had a bit more protein today. No biggie.
    Last edited by cyanize; 07-17-2008 at 12:46 AM.

do you have a goal date? i.e. a target date you want to be at a certain weight/body fat %?

I set 8 weeks from the beginning of keto, that would be somewhere around the 1st week of September. (actually at first I set it to Sept. 30th)

If it continues like this....shouldn't be a problem at all. I have to do morning cardio though, as I hate doing it after weights. And I def. get better results if I split the weights and cardio.

As soon as my knee is back in business, I'll up the intensity again and the fat should be melting away. It's about 13-14lbs now anyway. Not that much.

Day 8

I'm too lazy to write the split here. So just a screen shot.
    (net carbs are 10g)

Energy expenditure
    Cardio: 90 minutes LISS ~ 450kCal (another scenic bike ride)

Balance: ~1550kCal

I'm considering adding green magnitude to my intra workout shake, as many people tell me the creatine will help.

As you can see, I've been gradually lowering caloric intake down to around 1800kCal/day. This will be the lowest I will go, it's simply a psychological barrier for me, as I don't advocate super low calorie approaches.

I had to skip today's cardio workout, so I'll do cardio for the rest of the week instead. Workouts seem to be stabilizing again, and I aim for a 500kCal average deficit through exercise each day (6 out of 7 days).

Carb cravings seem to be more frequent i.e. I often think about eating sweets, but my mental routine gets me through this without any problems. I won't give in for the next two weeks, but I see myself getting at least 1-2 cheats on carb-up day.

I'm still not quite sure how much calories I could eat before my body would start storing fat again during keto. Maybe I'll do a small 2 week experiment later on, when I increase intake to my "recommended intake", say 2500kCal. This will be beneficial for the long-term bulking I intend to do later on. I hope it will help determine how much I can eat to gain lean muscle without a lot of fat.

Day 9

(net carbs are 16g)

Energy expenditure
    Weights: 45 mins ~ 250kCal
    Cardio: 40 mins ~ 250kCal

Balance: ~1300kCal

Weight and pics coming again this weekend.

Experiment

remember me mentioning that I want to test out a few things. Here it comes.
    The following week I'll increase caloric intake on workout days to ~2600kCal and on off-days to ~2400kCal. I will retain a strict 1.5g:1g ratio on FAT:PROTEIN, while keeping carbs purely incidental.

I'm looking for a heavy ketosis state, and want to check if my body responds by burning even more fat. (in preparation for my upcoming "slow bulking"). This is long overdue as I've been eating between 1800-2100kCal for the last 5 months, and want to test if my body is able to handle the load...plus I'm constantly hungry anyway. (after that week I'll be back to regular "cut" intake).

I may even create a new version of keto (without carb-ups), but with caloric increases every 2-3 weeks instead of weekly carb-ups. I'm not a carb person, they make me feel bloated and I produce more gas than a power plant could use up.

After some extensive reading I will deviate from my previous recommendations of doing weekly carb-ups for regular people. As it's counterproductive and just creates a lot of "guesswork" for the body. I mean generally...why would you want your body to use glycogen for powering your workouts anyway, when ketones can do the same job. It's like filling diesel once in a while into a unleaded car.

I'm also reducing the cardio to off-days only during next week.
    Hopefully this will work out as intended and give me a good boost.