Shut up and train. stealth_maven's Avatar
    stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500)

Do muscles actually TEAR when you workout??

I personally don't believe this anymore. It's some kind of simple and horrible way to explain what goes on with muscle fibers. But I honestly don't see them tearing, for tissue to tear, it should hurt extensively, cause scar tissue, and take long than a few days to heal. Over time if the muscles did tear, all the muscle tissue would be replaced with scar tissue.

So seriously here, whats going on to the muscle? I can handle the mumbo jumbo of physiology.

bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by stealth_maven View Post
    I personally don't believe this anymore. It's some kind of simple and horrible way to explain what goes on with muscle fibers. But I honestly don't see them tearing, for tissue to tear, it should hurt extensively, cause scar tissue, and take long than a few days to heal. Over time if the muscles did tear, all the muscle tissue would be replaced with scar tissue.

So seriously here, whats going on to the muscle? I can handle the mumbo jumbo of physiology.
    They tear much more different than say your skin tearing. When you workout, the stress you put on your muscles causes the small muscle fibers to break as it contracts. You don't feel this pain because they are very minor, unless you do something incorrectly and pull muscles. That is why it is so important to have the proper nutrients and amount of protein before and after your workout. The muscle fibers will begin to repair themselves, hopefully growing bigger.
    VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS " Courage Grows Strong At the Wound"

I wanna be freaky big at 6'5''

ACE certified PT

liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    From what basic understanding I have....

You tear down the muscles in the gym through resistance training, creating micro-tears in the muscles. You then eat to fuel muscle repair and you rest so your muscles actually repair themselves, bigger and stronger than before.

^^This is what I've always understood it to be.

Mike

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The first phase of muscle injury is immediate mechanical damage. Muscle cells / fibers can get injured from the repeated stretch and strain that the training loads inflict. It's more like micro-trauma because it occurs at a cellular level.

The second phase of muscle injury is associated with changes in the biochemical processes within muscle tissue following intense exercise - which includes inflammation, immune suppression, etc...
    Last edited by in10city; 07-10-2008 at 09:04 AM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.