Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    groundkontrol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bent over rows: overhand or underhand?

I usually do them underhand because it feels more natural. Is there a difference between doing them with an overhand grip as opposed to an underhand one? Thanks.

SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I do them overhand. I'm pretty sure that's the way you're supposed to do them. Or at least the recommended way.

Khromosone is just really nice. (+1000) Khromosone is just really nice. (+1000) Khromosone is just really nice. (+1000) Khromosone is just really nice. (+1000) Khromosone is just really nice. (+1000) Khromosone is just really nice. (+1000) Khromosone is just really nice. (+1000) Khromosone is just really nice. (+1000) Khromosone is just really nice. (+1000) Khromosone is just really nice. (+1000) Khromosone is just really nice. (+1000)
    I switch them up everynow and then

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    In my personal experience

Overhand helps to beef up the upper back

Underhand helps to beef up the lats.

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    either way.

underhand uses the lats a little more IMO but puts the biceps into a position where they naturally wanna do more of the work, so ya gotta make a conscious effort not to use them as much and just pull with the shoulder blades. I feel overhand allows you to pull with the back muscles while not using the biceps as much. I also find that I am slightly stronger on underhand(like can lift maybe 5 pounds more or I can get just like a few reps more with the same weight...but it might just be the biceps coming into play more,lol)

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Isn't the underhand version kind of like a Yates row?

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm going to assume you're talking about Yates rows here.
    If that is the case, then the only major difference between under and overhand grips is that you are forced to keep your elbows tucked (as opposed to flared) with an underhand grip, which keeps more emphasis on the lower lats. Some also get more biceps involvement with an underhand grip, although I don't.
    Who was this love of yours?

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts View Post

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how rotating the forearms changes anything back there. An underhand grip automatically forces you to keep the elbows tucked which puts the lats in their strongest position, but you can achieve the same thing with an overhand grip by keeping them tucked.

Rotate your forearm from an underhand to an overhand grip while feeling your lat on that side. Nothing happens. All it affects is biceps recruitment. And in the weakest position (overhand) it might force your back to work harder (which is why I like that grip for all my back work) but the same muscles are going to be involved.

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It would seem Yates rows do emphasize lats more since Dorian Yates was well Known was his credible lat sweep.

Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I want to minimize biceps involvement so i do mine overhand

Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how rotating the forearms changes anything back there. An underhand grip automatically forces you to keep the elbows tucked which puts the lats in their strongest position, but you can achieve the same thing with an overhand grip by keeping them tucked.

Rotate your forearm from an underhand to an overhand grip while feeling your lat on that side. Nothing happens. All it affects is biceps recruitment. And in the weakest position (overhand) it might force your back to work harder (which is why I like that grip for all my back work) but the same muscles are going to be involved.
    You are right but the tendency is to flare out the elbows on the over hand grip. On the underhand grip the alignment for a closer grip is more natural.

What doesn't kill me..... AbAbber2k's Avatar
    AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do rows to hit my back, not my biceps, so I always go overhand.
    ACSM Certified Personal Trainer
    AKC Kettlebell Coach, CST Coach
    BS Kinesiology, Washington State University

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

one possible thing, is I think (not confirmed....haven't paid enough attention really) that underhand you row to a lower location than overhand. Would that make a difference?
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Vadim Beliaev View Post
    I want to minimize biceps involvement so i do mine overhand
    Ditto.

I just hear a lot of people (pro bodybuilders included) suggesting that underhand/overhand/hammer grips all affect which back muscles are emphasized. In my experience it's elbow position/grip width and torso angle which make a difference.

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    one possible thing, is I think (not confirmed....haven't paid enough attention really) that underhand you row to a lower location than overhand. Would that make a difference?
    You can duplicate it with both grips. I think an underhand grip might help beginner-intermediate lifters get a feel for engaging the lats since it automatically forces the elbows into a tucked position where they're strongest, but like I said it can easily be duplicated with an overhand grip.

I do all my back work with an overhand grip and haven't noticed any difference, other than the biceps are in a weaker position so I'm using a little less weight (but I feel the back working harder), but the same muscles are targeted nonetheless.

You can duplicate it with both grips. I think an underhand grip might help beginner-intermediate lifters get a feel for engaging the lats since it automatically forces the elbows into a tucked position where they're strongest, but like I said it can easily be duplicated with an overhand grip.

I do all my back work with an overhand grip and haven't noticed any difference, other than the biceps are in a weaker position so I'm using a little less weight (but I feel the back working harder), but the same muscles are targeted nonetheless.
    You can take any grip you want and place your elbows in the correct alignment for the targeted muscle whether it's traps, lats, etc...., but it may be easier to do so with different grips.

If one can really make that mind muscle connection the underhand grip with its better elbow alignment can still take the biceps out of it and place full emphasis on the lats. This, of course, would be for someone who was advanced. This would be very true of Dorian Yates.

Maybe the average body builder should stick with the over hand grips. That's what I do.

The underhand grip is alien to me but it's intriguing.

Originally Posted by SquatTilYouDrop View Post
    If one can really make that mind muscle connection the underhand grip with its better elbow alignment can still take the biceps out of it and place full emphasis on the lats. This, of course, would be for someone who was advanced. This would be very true of Dorian Yates.
    I personally wouldn't want to row heavy weight with an underhand grip. Whether Dorian's biceps tear from that exercise was a freak accident or not, I'd rather not test it out. I can't see any advantages over an overhand grip.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    Some also get more biceps involvement with an underhand grip, although I don't.
    Since supinating the hand activates the biceps, I would imagine that you do, you just don't notice it.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm going to assume you're talking about Yates rows here.
    If that is the case, then the only major difference between under and overhand grips is that you are forced to keep your elbows tucked (as opposed to flared) with an underhand grip, which keeps more emphasis on the lower lats. Some also get more biceps involvement with an underhand grip, although I don't.
    Can you tell me where the "lower" lats are located? I thought they were just one muscle on each side.

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/LatissimusDorsi.html
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

true, I'm sure it is just like with bench press. People use close grip bench press to target tris, when really the main thing is elbow position, etc. It is just easier to get the alignment you want with varying grips.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Through experimentation, I've found that I get much more back stimulation from using an overhand, thumbless grip while rowing the bar to the solar plexus region. I tend not to go very heavy on these, focusing instead on quality of muscle stimulation, the highest I've gone being 190x5 or so.
    "Everyday, Jesus humbles himself just as He did when He came from His heavenly throne into the Virgin’s womb; everyday He comes to us and lets us see Him in abjection, when He descends from the bosom of the Father into the hands of the priest at the altar." -- St. Francis of Assisi

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    Since supinating the hand activates the biceps, I would imagine that you do, you just don't notice it.
    My theory is that (like with most back exercises) those with higher biceps insertion points generally are going to to get less stimulation.

Originally Posted by BG5150 aka Kool-aid chugging parrot View Post
    Can you tell me where the "lower" lats are located? I thought they were just one muscle on each side.

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/LatissimusDorsi.html
    you should stop posting

My theory is that (like with most back exercises) those with higher biceps insertion points generally are going to to get less stimulation.

In before "the no insertion point" police come in.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ah.. less stimulation.

I would imagine you are of course coming from this in a BB'ing perspective, in terms of meaningfully working the muscle in that context.

I am coming at it from an exercise physiology perspective.

So I think we are both correct in what we mean.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    Ah.. less stimulation.

I would imagine you are of course coming from this in a BB'ing perspective, in terms of meaningfully working the muscle in that context.

I am coming at it from an exercise physiology perspective.

So I think we are both correct in what we mean.
    right on

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you should stop posting
    Just so we are clear: It is possible for me to work the lower part of a single muscle? Maybe I should stop posting, because I did not think it was possible.

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Maybe I should stop posting, because I did not think it was possible.
    agreed

probably best to wait until you have a basic understanding of training

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts View Post

I'm with the wide man. With overhand, the tendency is to keep your elbows out; with underhands, the tendency is to keep you elbows in.

It's more about the elbow position than the specific grip as to what part of your back is worked. I assume however, you get more bicep work as well with the underhand.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

agreed

probably best to wait until you have a basic understanding of training
    So, please enlighten me. How is it possible to target the "lower lats"? I'm here to learn and get a basic understanding of training.
    Last edited by BG5150; 06-30-2008 at 11:03 AM.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I personally wouldn't want to row heavy weight with an underhand grip. Whether Dorian's biceps tear from that exercise was a freak accident or not, I'd rather not test it out. I can't see any advantages over an overhand grip.
    I think this is the bigger issue; biceps and biceps tendons heal slowly.Why take a chance, for little or no improvement over a conventional overhand grip?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733