theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

squat plateau help

my squat has been stuck at 245x5 for the last 3 weeks while my bench and deadlift have been increasing. My bench is right around 240 and i just pulled 405 a few days ago. my sticking point is just a few inches out of the hole. Ive been wanting to try box squatting but the only PT's at my gym have been busy with clients

my leg workout usually looks something like this:

Squat no more than 8 reps on working sets
    Lunges or hack squats (every other)
    leg press
    leg extensions
    calf raises

Id classify myself as more of a powerbuilder.

Ive consider running the smolov squat program (probably jr) but ive been told that with my squat lbs it wouldnt be much of a benefit.
    475/330/545 @ 242

45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Box squats set an inch below parallel.

Pause squats.

Deep squats (as deep as you can comfortably go)
    Monday Bench
    Tuesday Rest
    Wednesday Drink beer
    Thursday Drink more beer
    Friday Bench
    Saturday celebrate benching by drinking beer
    Sunday plan for benching

swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000)
    a 3 week sticking point is not a plateau

that said. squat MORE. squat every workout, stop deadlifting entirely. wake up everymorning and think about squatting. Just squat, hell do it 7 days a week. Make squatting such a natural motion that you ask your mother to check depth when you take a ****.

Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by swolegantor View Post

that said. squat MORE. squat every workout, stop deadlifting entirely. wake up everymorning and think about squatting. Just squat, hell do it 7 days a week. Make squatting such a natural motion that you ask your mother to check depth when you take a ****.
    I like this man.

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz
    you're sorely lacking in a lower back/posterior chain lift.

Good Mornings, RDLs, SLDLs, GHR, something...you gotta hit your hamstrings and glutes, all your lifts are quad dominant.

and your "sticking point" is a few inches out of the hole? well before your quads really activate into the lift, at that point its your posterior chain that's lifting the weight (assuming of course that your depth is good), and you're not doing jack for it.

that's where I'd start at least. I hammer the crap out of my lower back and posterior chain every squat day.
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they change your username, so don't ask*
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they mass delete your post history, so don't ask*

UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by swolegantor View Post

Do that ^
    485/285/495 @ 200
    Ed Coan told me I had nice squat form.

smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by isaku900 View Post
    you're sorely lacking in a lower back/posterior chain lift.

Good Mornings, RDLs, SLDLs, GHR, something...you gotta hit your hamstrings and glutes, all your lifts are quad dominant.

and your "sticking point" is a few inches out of the hole? well before your quads really activate into the lift, at that point its your posterior chain that's lifting the weight (assuming of course that your depth is good), and you're not doing jack for it.

that's where I'd start at least. I hammer the crap out of my lower back and posterior chain every squat day.
    X2.

Good post.

I'll add Pullthroughs and Reverse Hypers.

You need to hammer your Hamstrings. Work the hell out of your lower back and your Glutes. Definitely.
    Bench (raw): 325 lbs. X 1
    Incline Bench Press (raw): 225 lbs. X 8
    Squat (single ply): 355 lbs. X 3
    Deadlift (single ply): 441 lbs. X 1
    Powerlifting Total (single ply): 1116 lbs.
    Barbell Curl: 140 lbs. X 1
    Standing Military Press: 190 lbs. X 1
    Weighted Dips: BW + 110 lbs. X 3
    Weighted Pullups: BW + 90 lbs. X 1

Rob_Muscle75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob_Muscle75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob_Muscle75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob_Muscle75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob_Muscle75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob_Muscle75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob_Muscle75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob_Muscle75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob_Muscle75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob_Muscle75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob_Muscle75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whenever I'm at a plateau I just add more weight and usually get 2 reps less so in your case I'd try 255 for 3 for 2 sets. Usually when I do my next leg workout I'll be able to gain 2 reps on that 5 rep set.

EDIT: OP I'll hit you on recharge thanks.

theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theend2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    solid

i just got back from the gym and was working with an ex- pler thats now a PT. He checked my form on box squats (ended up being 1-2 inches above parallel) and i did 330x 3,5 and a set of 345x3.

edit: I should probably add in that my diet has been consistent for the past month of my bulk. 4200 calories/ day with 1lb being gained per week. Same supplements. All of my lifts have been increasing. I squat again in another 4 days. Hopefully with some progress
    Last edited by theend2; 06-27-2008 at 07:15 PM.
    475/330/545 @ 242