James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How often to a Olympic lifters deadlift with regards to Frequency/ Volume/ Intensity

I like to konw what elite lifters do compared to your average club lifter and regualr posters here

Thank you

Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Elite lifters have been known to train 3x a day sometimes.

Your average club goer can make progress with 3 times a week.

Edit: lol

I didn't see the deadlift part

I thought you were talking about training in general
    Last edited by Lavoisier; 06-20-2008 at 02:46 PM.
    Workout Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107713181

SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Most of them don't deadlift as far as a I know.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by James456 View Post
    I like to konw what elite lifters do compared to your average club lifter and regualr posters here

Thank you
    we don't have any elite lifters at my club but for the most part it depends, bulgarians like going up to a max for the day each session and then do some singles at 10kg less than the max and then some more singles at 20kg below the max, they usually train snatch, clean&jerk, and front squats but will do power snatches, power clean&jerks, back squats, and jumping (for beginners mostly) to switch it up sometimes.

russians like more variety as they'll obviously do the classic lifts along with front squats and back squats but will also do more stuff like box jumps, high jumps, long jumps, push presses, military press, lat work, bench presses, kettlebells, deadlifts, pulls off blocks, pulls from a deficit, things of that nature.

I mostly do snatch, clean&jerk, and back squat 3x a week with singles and doubles in the lifts and 5's in the squats. ; the way my coach likes to cycle it so it is 2 weeks medium-heavy, 1 back off light-medium week, and 1 PR week, repeat till it stalls.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're just asking about deadlifting, I agree with slamma - most of them don't.

James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by J.L.C. View Post
    If you're just asking about deadlifting, I agree with slamma - most of them don't.
    Yeah I just concerned with deadlifts

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by James456 View Post
    Yeah I just concerned with deadlifts
    true but some do, IMO they're aren't in the workout to increase the clean directly they're there to increase posterior chain strength and getting used to heavy weights, though for an oly lifter the oly lifts and squats are more important so something like deads and pulls will take somewhat of a back seat.

I have read of one example of one lifter from the US who didn't deadlift regularly in training but did 704 for a single just trying it one day, he was able to squat 550 x 3 and clean&jerk 400, this was John Davis.

- Stizzel

Walkin'tall machinegunman PrivateBaldrick's Avatar
    PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Olympic lifters do deadlifts a lot, they just do them with a shrug at the top and call them pulls. You can't clean big weights without the pulling strength. Getting a big deadlift will definitely help you in Olympic lifting.

A few numbers I heard recently from American Olympic lifters:
    Innocent Ukpong pulled a 320kg single and he weighs 85kg.
    Kendrick Farris, also 85kg, pulled 270kg for 8, I believe.
    Last edited by PrivateBaldrick; 06-20-2008 at 11:00 PM.

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by PrivateBaldrick View Post
    Olympic lifters do deadlifts a lot, they just do them with a shrug at the top and call them pulls. You can't clean big weights without the pulling strength. Getting a big deadlift will definitely help you in Olympic lifting.

A few numbers I heard recently from American Olympic lifters:
    Innocent Ukpong pulled a 320kg single and he weighs 85kg.
    Kendrick Farris, also 85kg, pulled 270kg for 8, I believe.
    A clean/snatch pull is not a deadlift.

Most o-lifters do not train deadlifts.

PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What do you know--I found some videos!

Farris (top U.S. 85kg lifter) doing heavy deads, 280kg for 2:

And a snatch grip set, 230kg for 5:

An amateur lifter who is pretty good doing Olympic clean-style deadlifts.

It's just a matter of terminology. My coach calls pulls "clean deadlifts."

And the ones that I know do. Olympic "pulls" and regular deads.
    Last edited by PrivateBaldrick; 06-20-2008 at 11:03 PM.

madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's not just a matter of terminology. Clean and snatch pulls are fundamentally different exercises to deadlifts, with different form and a different purpose. Olympic lifters sometimes do clean/snatch-pulls to mid-shin or the knees to work the 1st pull at a slight overload, working on keeping the bar in the proper position and strengthening that. The bar and body are in a completely different position to a proper deadlift. These can be done with up to about 120% of the lifter's max clean, usually with doubles or triples.

Olympic lifters also do "clean/snatch pulls", to work the 2nd pull at a slight overload. The bar is brought above the knees, and then the lifter accelerates, standing up hard, just as if they will clean it. The hips pop, the arms bend, and the momentum on the bar keeps it travelling up just a bit. Some lifters shrug at this point, while some don't. The bar is NOT received as a clean, however. The point is to work the explosion. These are generally done with up to 110% of the lifter's top clean, usually doubles or triples.

Anything called a "clean/snatch deadlift" would be identical to a pull without the pop at the top. These are rarely done by top lifters. The video of Farris is interesting for just that reason. They aren't a part of his regular training (as far as I know); he was merely demonstrating strength for fun. Lifters can "clean/snatch deadlift" far more than they can clean or pull, and they are done quite slowly. They don't seem to carry over with any degree of effectiveness to the Olympic lifts, or at least they are not believed to, so they are not really used.

The point of a deadlift is to lift as much weight as possible, keeping the bar close to (even scraping up against) the shins on the way up. The bar follows a significantly different path to an Olympic pull, the movement tends to be quite slow, and the body's positions are quite distinct. Most deadlifters rip the bar off the floor and have trouble locking it out at the top. Pulls are done slow and controlled off the floor, and the lifter accelerates as fast as possible when the bar passes the knees.

Deadlifts are rarely part of an Olympic lifter's training for all the above reasons, though of course some lifters will use them as part of a strength-building cycle well out from an actual competition.
    Last edited by madaozeki; 06-21-2008 at 05:10 AM.

GROPEGRABOSHITWTFBBQ! Hard Drive's Avatar
    Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

It's picking a weight up off the ground, which is otherwise defined as a deadlift.

A pull is a deadlift, but a deadlift is not a pull.
    Rice Power Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=332791061

Success requires single-mindedness of purpose.
    ---------------
    tofu/rice/ranch---no meat

Originally Posted by PUU<3 View Post
    It's picking a weight up off the ground, which is otherwise defined as a deadlift.

A pull is a deadlift, but a deadlift is not a pull.
    See madaozeki's post above, he's does a better job at explaining the clear-cut differences between the two.

madeozeki - it's my opinion that deadlifts wouldn't be used to train speed for the O-lifts, rather to train core, hip, back, and grip strength which will indirectly aid the lifts; I did my first bit of deadlifting in a while yesterday and even though it was only 150kg for a top single (after 8 sets of squats and 10 sets of OL's, lol) I can't say my abs had ever felt that hard afterwards in a while.

- Stizzel

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think a lot of the non-elite types, especially lifters in the US, tend to forget about the strength aspect of olympic lifting, and its a shame because it seems to limit their progress.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    I think a lot of the non-elite types, especially lifters in the US, tend to forget about the strength aspect of olympic lifting, and its a shame because it seems to limit their progress.
    I tend to agree, I don't believe in the mantra of technique, technique, technique. It is essential no doubt but too many people forget that the big names of weightlifting are not squatting only 10kg above their clean&jerks, more like 100+kg.

dimas could clean&jerk 215kg and back squatted 320kg, taranenko clean&jerked 266kg and back squatted 380kg with a pause, kurlovich could clean 266kg and missed the jerk on a technicality (he still did 260kg c&j) and he could supposidly squat 400kg, reza c&j's 263.5kg and with the ease he did his 280kg double in the front squat I have no doubt he could do more and back squat even more (he plays with 305+kg).

technique being equal the stronger lifter wins, the sport is about who lifts the most weight and just improving technique and speed just isn't going to get the weights up sometimes, I think too many lifters are afraid of going heavy and making their lifts slow.

another thing about our lifters being weaker compared to the international guys however is the fact that our lifters don't roid, alot of the international guys do but cycle it so they don't get caught.

- Stizzel

madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    madeozeki - it's my opinion that deadlifts wouldn't be used to train speed for the O-lifts, rather to train core, hip, back, and grip strength which will indirectly aid the lifts; I did my first bit of deadlifting in a while yesterday and even though it was only 150kg for a top single (after 8 sets of squats and 10 sets of OL's, lol) I can't say my abs had ever felt that hard afterwards in a while.
    Haha! I agree with the sentiment of your post. Just stating the facts about Oly lifters in this country and their training protocols I'm doing clean-grip deadlifts in my current cycle for just that reason.

Agree 100%, but I don't think it's limited to the non-elites. In fact, I'd guess more non-elites (as a % of total lifters) would train deadlifts than elites, especially those at Colorado Springs!

I tend to agree, I don't believe in the mantra of technique, technique, technique. It is essential no doubt but too many people forget that the big names of weightlifting are not squatting only 10kg above their clean&jerks, more like 100+kg.

dimas could clean&jerk 215kg and back squatted 320kg, taranenko clean&jerked 266kg and back squatted 380kg with a pause, kurlovich could clean 266kg and missed the jerk on a technicality (he still did 260kg c&j) and he could supposidly squat 400kg, reza c&j's 263.5kg and with the ease he did his 280kg double in the front squat I have no doubt he could do more and back squat even more (he plays with 305+kg).

technique being equal the stronger lifter wins, the sport is about who lifts the most weight and just improving technique and speed just isn't going to get the weights up sometimes, I think too many lifters are afraid of going heavy and making their lifts slow.

another thing about our lifters being weaker compared to the international guys however is the fact that our lifters don't roid, alot of the international guys do but cycle it so they don't get caught.
    Cool post, and good points.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I tend to agree, I don't believe in the mantra of technique, technique, technique.
    Good, because I'm waiting for you to squat 400 and pull 450. C'mon goju!
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

Good, because I'm waiting for you to squat 400 and pull 450. C'mon goju!
    haha, believe me I'm trying; not so sure about 400 but I think I could be repping 320-330 by the end of the year, we'll see about deadlifts as I might start training them again and 450-500 would be great to hit.
    Last edited by GoJu; 06-22-2008 at 08:34 AM.

- Stizzel

wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bump of peace
    Zeus be with us

misc is an official wk's nest
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166436181

5 times mod negged crew

FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    6 1/2 year bump of peace?

Are you interested in if/when/how much oly lifters deadlift? The real and final answer is, it depends......

Can't embed fo chit, so here's the link.

http://instagram.com/p/pzTnPCIfi7/?modal=true

EDIT: Haven't seen a lot of dedicated "deadlifting" in programs but have seen "clean" or "snatch" deadlifts and especially pulls. But that depends on the individual and their weaknesses.

Reading through the posts from '08, it's like it was a Starting Strength troll thread.
    Last edited by FNG37; 12-28-2014 at 05:47 PM.

wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50) wouldsmashten will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thnks man

i found that thread via google
    the question i have is this
    is it even optional to deadlifting?
    it should be a must
    a clean/snatch deadlift of course
    i m not talking about the pulls right now

dont we all agree the that deadlift has benefits for the oly lifters?
    Zeus be with us

misc is an official wk's nest
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166436181

5 times mod negged crew