Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 125
  1. #1
    Banned nashjocic's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 58
    Posts: 74
    Rep Power: 0
    nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nashjocic is offline

    The Story Of Carbs And Energy

    THE STORY OF CARBS AND ENERGY

    It was late 1982. My new friend, dedicated bodybuilder Dusko Popovski, and me were spending hours trying to discover the secret of muscle growth and strength increase. We would sit in my room, and with the heating all the way up, in the winter days, reading and translating bodybuilding magazines from all around the world.

    The dominant information that you could have learned from those magazines regarding nutrition, and in those days undisputed truth, was that energy equals carbohydrates. The message was clear; if you want to become stronger you will have to eat lot of carbohydrates! And if you want to become even stronger you will have to really get serious and try to staff yourself with carbohydrates until they start purring through you nose! Since every one in those days, and probably now to, wanted to get as strong as possible, the outcome was easily predictable. On the end of the day, food rich with carbohydrates was and still is very chip, and if it gives you so much energy and strength, bingo! Magic answer was there, available for every one.

    After long hours and many months of discussions we have concluded that carbohydrates are the way forward. Complex and simple, rice, potatoes, bread, sweets, cakes, ice cream; that would mean more strength and ultimately more muscles. Once mathematically proven, the theory had to be also proven in practice. And the ordeal started. 5 slices of brown bresd in the morning, big portion of rice for lunch, 20 scoops of ice cream after training, cereals with nuts and raisins in the after noon, potatoes in the evening and more cakes late at night. There were a lot of eggs, meat, fish and chicken too. Add time factor on top of that and try to guess the results after 6 months.

    My bench press went from 80 kg to 120 kg, shoulder press from 35 kg to 50 kg, squats from 100 kg to 150 kg; biceps curls from 35 kg to 50 kg. That was great! Strength went up! What about my body weight? From starting 85 kg I ended up weighing astonishing 112 kg in 6 months! I was gaining in average 4,5 kg per month. And everything would be absolutely perfect if we ignore the major reason of getting involved in bodybuilding; getting bigger, stronger and LEANER! Not to mention proportions, which are only visible once your body fat level becomes very low.

    I have achieved everything planed, apart from getting leaner. For the first time in my life I gained fat tissue around my waist, my buttocks were beyond recognition, and I had no trousers that I could have wear. After reaching that weight of 112 kg and my new shape, I become suspicious about the whole energy myth. On the end of the day that was undisputable truth! Carbohydrates were energy. More carbohydrates mean more energy, more energy means more strength, more strength means more muscles, so what I did wrong? At that stage and that point of time I couldn't find an answer. I thought that getting 'bigger' was the first stage in bodybuilder's carrier and that the time will help me find the right answer, and still indulging tasty carbohydrate foods get in shape and proportion that I wanted. Full of optimism and belief I continued with my first stage for next 3 years.

    Than came March 1985.

    There was a bodybuilding show in near by town that was expected to attract top competitive athletes from all around the country. My friends and me decided to go and see it. For me that was the first bodybuilding show, I haven't seen anything like that ever before. My expectations were huge, I was expecting lot of big guys, lot of big muscles and I already have made a picture in my mind how would they look. Fanny enough, the picture in my mind wasn?t that different of my than current shape. Tough I was big, my massive 18 stone physic wasn't really perfect, and I new it. Still expectations were that those top guys wouldn't look much different than me.

    The start of the show was a complete shock! All of those athletes were in amazing shape, very defined, every one of them had six pack very refined and sharp, and the most striking discovery was that all of them seemed to know how to exercise properly and how to eat properly! Otherwise, I thought then, it would be impossible for them to end up with such great look. But, still, the heavy weight category was the one that I was anxiously expecting. Those were the guys of my weight, my height; this was the class that I will compete in eventually. It seemed to me then that I would have to wait for that at list another 3 to 4 years?

    And than, the host announced the most popular, heavy weight class, with some 15 competitors. Since the moment the guys started walking out on the stage I had my ayes wide open, I don?t event think that I was blinking for next 20 minutes. The biggest guys in the show, were in the same time the hardest, the most refined, their waistlines were so small, shoulders so wide and big! The condition of these guys was so striking, they were looking totally unreal to me and most shockingly, they didn't look anything close to me! If I considered myself big, then I thought they are giants. Being big and defined with very little body fat on them those guys looked like out of this world!

    And to come back to our 'undisputable' source of energy, the mighty carbohydrates that are, according to medical and sport establishment, responsible for your energy and strength. Let see what happened to that blind believe whose most devoted follower, at that time happened to be nobody else but me!

    I was lucky enough to speak to few of the top guys after the show. Regarding training intensity, frequency and selection of exercises I wasn?t far from most of them. But than, confusing enough why on earth didn?t I look like them? It didn?t take long for the conversation to switch to nutrition. And it wasn?t me who initiated it, it were the big and hard guys who started asking each other about the most difficult, exiting and challenging issue of sport in general; food. It was the competitive diets that steal the show. And when they started talking about all those protein food, fresh vegetables, fruit, and lot of water I almost exploded from anxiousness to hear a word about rice, pasta, porridge, and potatoes.

    I needed it beadily to justify my world of carbohydrates, my realm of energy and strength. And guess what; none of them mentioned any of that food! Then I started asking them about the great benefits of starchy foods, and high levels of strength and energy that are unimaginable without that type of food. The answer to my religious obsession came in form of friendly laughter from my new friends. They all had one thing in common; non of them was eating starchy carbs, and diet high in protein and vegetables with a bit of fruit in combination with high intensity daily weight training was every one's recipe for top condition.

    The ultimate shape only comes from ultimate approaches in diet and training.

    Although not the happiest person after all that experience, I managed to put myself together and decide to strip of my old, ignorant and single-minded skin and try something new, something different! On the end of the day, you can criticize theories but you cannot deny reality the ultimate power of convincing. And especially when the reality is so big, hard and extremely good looking.

    Once on the right pat, eating more fresh vegetables then ever, making fish, chicken and lean steaks my priority protein food, I ended up on the stage within 8 months! Some 4 stones lighter, with the 6 pack that I couldn?t even dream about, and the waist line smaller than in my wildest dreams, I started my competitive carrier that culminated with 17 victories in 46 shows. Time and consistency in right diet and right training brought my competitive body weight to 17 stones with extremely low body fat level.

    So if you are ready to shade some pound or stones of fat reconsider your understanding of healthy eating. They may be tasty, but foods rich in carbohydrates are not the best choice to give you consistent level of energy throughout the day, and definitely the worst when it comes to lean, shaped and defined body. Ultimateshape.com is welcoming every one who cares about the quality of life. And don't forget; every body can!
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Banned nashjocic's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 58
    Posts: 74
    Rep Power: 0
    nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nashjocic is offline
    Originally Posted by nashjocic View Post
    THE STORY OF CARBS AND ENERGY

    It was late 1982. My new friend, dedicated bodybuilder Dusko Popovski, and me were spending hours trying to discover the secret of muscle growth and strength increase. We would sit in my room, and with the heating all the way up, in the winter days, reading and translating bodybuilding magazines from all around the world.

    The dominant information that you could have learned from those magazines regarding nutrition, and in those days undisputed truth, was that energy equals carbohydrates. The message was clear; if you want to become stronger you will have to eat lot of carbohydrates! And if you want to become even stronger you will have to really get serious and try to staff yourself with carbohydrates until they start purring through you nose! Since every one in those days, and probably now to, wanted to get as strong as possible, the outcome was easily predictable. On the end of the day, food rich with carbohydrates was and still is very chip, and if it gives you so much energy and strength, bingo! Magic answer was there, available for every one.

    After long hours and many months of discussions we have concluded that carbohydrates are the way forward. Complex and simple, rice, potatoes, bread, sweets, cakes, ice cream; that would mean more strength and ultimately more muscles. Once mathematically proven, the theory had to be also proven in practice. And the ordeal started. 5 slices of brown bresd in the morning, big portion of rice for lunch, 20 scoops of ice cream after training, cereals with nuts and raisins in the after noon, potatoes in the evening and more cakes late at night. There were a lot of eggs, meat, fish and chicken too. Add time factor on top of that and try to guess the results after 6 months.

    My bench press went from 80 kg to 120 kg, shoulder press from 35 kg to 50 kg, squats from 100 kg to 150 kg; biceps curls from 35 kg to 50 kg. That was great! Strength went up! What about my body weight? From starting 85 kg I ended up weighing astonishing 112 kg in 6 months! I was gaining in average 4,5 kg per month. And everything would be absolutely perfect if we ignore the major reason of getting involved in bodybuilding; getting bigger, stronger and LEANER! Not to mention proportions, which are only visible once your body fat level becomes very low.

    I have achieved everything planed, apart from getting leaner. For the first time in my life I gained fat tissue around my waist, my buttocks were beyond recognition, and I had no trousers that I could have wear. After reaching that weight of 112 kg and my new shape, I become suspicious about the whole energy myth. On the end of the day that was undisputable truth! Carbohydrates were energy. More carbohydrates mean more energy, more energy means more strength, more strength means more muscles, so what I did wrong? At that stage and that point of time I couldn't find an answer. I thought that getting 'bigger' was the first stage in bodybuilder's carrier and that the time will help me find the right answer, and still indulging tasty carbohydrate foods get in shape and proportion that I wanted. Full of optimism and belief I continued with my first stage for next 3 years.

    Than came March 1985.

    There was a bodybuilding show in near by town that was expected to attract top competitive athletes from all around the country. My friends and me decided to go and see it. For me that was the first bodybuilding show, I haven't seen anything like that ever before. My expectations were huge, I was expecting lot of big guys, lot of big muscles and I already have made a picture in my mind how would they look. Fanny enough, the picture in my mind wasn?t that different of my than current shape. Tough I was big, my massive 18 stone physic wasn't really perfect, and I new it. Still expectations were that those top guys wouldn't look much different than me.

    The start of the show was a complete shock! All of those athletes were in amazing shape, very defined, every one of them had six pack very refined and sharp, and the most striking discovery was that all of them seemed to know how to exercise properly and how to eat properly! Otherwise, I thought then, it would be impossible for them to end up with such great look. But, still, the heavy weight category was the one that I was anxiously expecting. Those were the guys of my weight, my height; this was the class that I will compete in eventually. It seemed to me then that I would have to wait for that at list another 3 to 4 years?

    And than, the host announced the most popular, heavy weight class, with some 15 competitors. Since the moment the guys started walking out on the stage I had my ayes wide open, I don?t event think that I was blinking for next 20 minutes. The biggest guys in the show, were in the same time the hardest, the most refined, their waistlines were so small, shoulders so wide and big! The condition of these guys was so striking, they were looking totally unreal to me and most shockingly, they didn't look anything close to me! If I considered myself big, then I thought they are giants. Being big and defined with very little body fat on them those guys looked like out of this world!

    And to come back to our 'undisputable' source of energy, the mighty carbohydrates that are, according to medical and sport establishment, responsible for your energy and strength. Let see what happened to that blind believe whose most devoted follower, at that time happened to be nobody else but me!

    I was lucky enough to speak to few of the top guys after the show. Regarding training intensity, frequency and selection of exercises I wasn?t far from most of them. But than, confusing enough why on earth didn?t I look like them? It didn?t take long for the conversation to switch to nutrition. And it wasn?t me who initiated it, it were the big and hard guys who started asking each other about the most difficult, exiting and challenging issue of sport in general; food. It was the competitive diets that steal the show. And when they started talking about all those protein food, fresh vegetables, fruit, and lot of water I almost exploded from anxiousness to hear a word about rice, pasta, porridge, and potatoes.

    I needed it beadily to justify my world of carbohydrates, my realm of energy and strength. And guess what; none of them mentioned any of that food! Then I started asking them about the great benefits of starchy foods, and high levels of strength and energy that are unimaginable without that type of food. The answer to my religious obsession came in form of friendly laughter from my new friends. They all had one thing in common; non of them was eating starchy carbs, and diet high in protein and vegetables with a bit of fruit in combination with high intensity daily weight training was every one's recipe for top condition.

    The ultimate shape only comes from ultimate approaches in diet and training.

    Although not the happiest person after all that experience, I managed to put myself together and decide to strip of my old, ignorant and single-minded skin and try something new, something different! On the end of the day, you can criticize theories but you cannot deny reality the ultimate power of convincing. And especially when the reality is so big, hard and extremely good looking.

    Once on the right pat, eating more fresh vegetables then ever, making fish, chicken and lean steaks my priority protein food, I ended up on the stage within 8 months! Some 4 stones lighter, with the 6 pack that I couldn?t even dream about, and the waist line smaller than in my wildest dreams, I started my competitive carrier that culminated with 17 victories in 46 shows. Time and consistency in right diet and right training brought my competitive body weight to 17 stones with extremely low body fat level.

    So if you are ready to shade some pound or stones of fat reconsider your understanding of healthy eating. They may be tasty, but foods rich in carbohydrates are not the best choice to give you consistent level of energy throughout the day, and definitely the worst when it comes to lean, shaped and defined body. Ultimateshape.com is welcoming every one who cares about the quality of life. And don't forget; every body can!

    Carbs are silently killing more people then smoking and drinking together and sadly there is no information or knowlidge about it. Thousends of peoople are droping dead every day from carbs related diseases and funny enough there are still teories and "experts" that advice people to eat up to 70% of daily calories from carbs!
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User JTringer's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2007
    Posts: 2,543
    Rep Power: 654
    JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    JTringer is offline
    did u just quote yourself??? lol, and could you name a few of these diseases?

    Other than that I thought it was very well written and is a good warning for people not to take what they hear being thrown around as proven law(teen section).
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User -JR's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Age: 34
    Posts: 1,180
    Rep Power: 564
    -JR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -JR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -JR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -JR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -JR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -JR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -JR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -JR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -JR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -JR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -JR has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    -JR is offline
    Originally Posted by JTringer View Post
    did u just quote yourself??? lol, and could you name a few of these diseases?

    Other than that I thought it was very well written and is a good warning for people not to take what they hear being thrown around as proven law(teen section).
    He probably meant to hit the reply button, or is unfamiliar with the boards.

    Diseases? Diabetes for one. Anything obesity related, which includes a LOT. Fat ain't what's makin' America fat... I've been prone to believe in quite a few myths, but I check around these parts and other forums. So much information is available these days, almost an overload tho. Consequence-massive mis-information... Takes a sharp mind and patience to sift through everything, I guess just like in the old days...
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User VANE101's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2008
    Age: 33
    Posts: 0
    Rep Power: 0
    VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    VANE101 is offline
    Originally Posted by nashjocic View Post
    Carbs are silently killing more people then smoking and drinking together and sadly there is no information or knowlidge about it. Thousends of peoople are droping dead every day from carbs related diseases and funny enough there are still teories and "experts" that advice people to eat up to 70% of daily calories from carbs!
    Do you have carbs pre-workout and post-workout?
    Have you cut out fruit aswell?
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    it's a good addiction Muscle-T-17yrs's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: UNDER, LAND DOWN, Australia
    Age: 33
    Posts: 508
    Rep Power: 192
    Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Muscle-T-17yrs is offline
    Originally Posted by VANE101 View Post
    Do you have carbs pre-workout and post-workout?
    Have you cut out fruit aswell?
    i think hes refering to masss amounts of starchy carbs....

    fruits dont have much carbs.... and they also contain vitamins etc so its a win win
    "Your food should be your medicine and your medicine should be your food"

    "Training is nothing, WILL is everything"

    "a religious person says, "i don't know." and is content to place god in that gap of knowledge. a scientist says, "i don't know." and then seeks out the answer."

    GOALS: To get my...

    Forearms: 35cm (14inch)
    Biceps/Tricep: 45cm (17.5 inch)
    Calves: 47cm (18inch)

    APRIL 9TH 2009 - THE SHOW DOWN !!
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Banned nashjocic's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 58
    Posts: 74
    Rep Power: 0
    nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nashjocic is offline
    Originally Posted by Muscle-T-17yrs View Post
    i think hes refering to masss amounts of starchy carbs....

    fruits dont have much carbs.... and they also contain vitamins etc so its a win win
    You have got it right! Fruit is a natural food and has no more than 10% of fructose. That sugar doesn't need insulin in order to be transported to the cells so is the safest sugar that you can eat. But don't over eat fruit. 2-3 fruits per day is enough and preferably fruit that contains mainly fructose (apples, pears, oranges, cheries, berries etc.). Stay away from dried fruits, they are uo to 70% sugar, to much.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Banned nashjocic's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 58
    Posts: 74
    Rep Power: 0
    nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nashjocic is offline
    Originally Posted by -JR View Post
    He probably meant to hit the reply button, or is unfamiliar with the boards.

    Diseases? Diabetes for one. Anything obesity related, which includes a LOT. Fat ain't what's makin' America fat... I've been prone to believe in quite a few myths, but I check around these parts and other forums. So much information is available these days, almost an overload tho. Consequence-massive mis-information... Takes a sharp mind and patience to sift through everything, I guess just like in the old days...
    Great post!
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User VANE101's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2008
    Age: 33
    Posts: 0
    Rep Power: 0
    VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VANE101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    VANE101 is offline
    Originally Posted by nashjocic View Post
    Great post!
    Thanks
    Whats your pre-workout and post-workout.

    I have been eating 5-6 pieces of fruit a day and about 30% fats somtimes 20% and the rest protein throughout the day.

    Pre workout and post workout i have in total of around 600 calories of oatmeal, in the space of an hour. I for one truly believe sugar is the "devil".

    Since reading your article maybe you might answer this question for me, sugar, grains (oatmeal) pre work and post workout, yes or no?
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Banned nashjocic's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 58
    Posts: 74
    Rep Power: 0
    nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nashjocic is offline
    Originally Posted by VANE101 View Post
    Whats your pre-workout and post-workout.

    I have been eating 5-6 pieces of fruit a day and about 30% fats somtimes 20% and the rest protein throughout the day.

    Pre workout and post workout i have in total of around 600 calories of oatmeal, in the space of an hour. I for one truly believe sugar is the "devil".

    Since reading your article maybe you might answer this question for me, sugar, grains (oatmeal) pre work and post workout, yes or no?
    Energy that you will use for your training will not come from your preworkout meal. Glycogen needed for the intense muscle contractions will be stored in your muscles days before you train them. So, even if you train on an empty stomach (as many people do) you will still have a great training session.
    Post workout meal should be at least 45 minutes after your session and mainly made of protein. Frank Zane use to drink protein shake before and affter training, interestingly enough he won Mr.Olympia 3 times!
    Carbs after training will triger masive insulin production and this is the last thing that you want in the time when you produce the most of your GH, most powerful muscle building hormon.
    Best regards,
    Nash
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User chrismclauch's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 54
    Rep Power: 142
    chrismclauch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chrismclauch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chrismclauch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    chrismclauch is offline
    hi nashojic i took this from a site and it says carbs are good?. for a post meal with protein

    Why carbohydrates and protein? When carbohydrates is taken with protein, there's a blast of insulin. Insulin kicks the body's glycogen making machine into high gear. Glycogen is considered the principal storage form of glucose and is found mainly in liver and muscle. Glucose supplies the bodies active tissues with energy.

    Therefore, insulin will speed up the movement of glucose and amino acids into cells which is what you definitely want and secondly, it activates a special enzyme which is essential for glycogen synthesis.

    Additional research has shown that ingesting a protein/carbohydrate supplement after exercise triggers the release of growth hormone. Great news for building muscle.

    If you want to build muscle, always consume a power drink that is rich in whey protein and carbohydrates after your workout and include it in your weight training diet.

    Try using the following drink for your post workout meal.

    ? cup low fat yogurt
    1 scoop(2oz) vanilla whey protein powder- 30 grams protein
    1 tbsp honey
    1 ? cup low fat or 1% milk
    1 cup orange juice
    5 grams creatine monohydrate
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Nothing productive to say FitzChivalry's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: United States
    Posts: 1,708
    Rep Power: 531
    FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    FitzChivalry is offline
    Massive carbophobia.
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Banned nashjocic's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 58
    Posts: 74
    Rep Power: 0
    nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nashjocic is offline
    Not realy, just the statement from my own experiance and thousends of others who are enjoing been leaner and healthier since they started controling their carb intake.
    Best,
    N
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    honor him... lth's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: Miami, Florida, United States
    Age: 33
    Posts: 10,765
    Rep Power: 13722
    lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lth is offline
    Originally Posted by nashjocic View Post
    Not realy, just the statement from my own experiance and thousends of others who are enjoing been leaner and healthier since they started controling their carb intake.
    Best,
    N
    Ok. Im so sick of hearing this ****. In the 80's and 90's fat was the enemy, now its carbs. Sorry to tell you man, but people are obese because they eat to damn much period!! There are so many people that i know have tried using the Anabolic Diet to bulk and it didn't do ****. There is much difference in how insulin acts in a healthy, fit body than it does from a sedentary fat****.
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Banned nashjocic's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 58
    Posts: 74
    Rep Power: 0
    nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nashjocic is offline
    Originally Posted by lth View Post
    Ok. Im so sick of hearing this ****. In the 80's and 90's fat was the enemy, now its carbs. Sorry to tell you man, but people are obese because they eat to damn much period!! There are so many people that i know have tried using the Anabolic Diet to bulk and it didn't do ****. There is much difference in how insulin acts in a healthy, fit body than it does from a sedentary fat****.
    Thanks for your nice comments,
    sorry to remind you, but is not the 80's and the 90's that direct my advice but rather the millions of years of human evolution during which we have evolved. The food that has been available for humans was the one that our digestive and other systems evolved around. I didn't hear of any porridge, brown rice, potatos or corn flakes during our evolution years. This is where problems started some 10.000 years ago. With introduction of those foods into the human food chain we were also rewarded with obesety, diabetes, cancer, coronary diseases etc. And because of eating that food, people get fat! And this is why they eat too much; you will never be able to eat too much of fish, meat and vegetables. Just try and see what happens.
    Try to remember this and eat this way while you still don't have to and before you come to the point that you will have to.
    Best wishes,
    Nash
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Registered User jermag27's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Posts: 142
    Rep Power: 159
    jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    jermag27 is offline
    Nash,

    I'm in a clean buking phase, which I'm planning on doing for the rest of this year. It's my first bulking phase so I'd like to give it enough time to build a solid foundation. I'm making good progress, but wanted to make sure my nutrition is on track. You look like you know what you're doing!

    I'm 235 lbs., 6'1", and around 19% bodyfat. What would you suggest my macros be to minimize fat accumulation during this bulk?

    I've been eating about 500 calories above maintenance, using clean sources of proteins, carbs, and fats. Thanks in advance!
    IF NOT NOW, WHEN??
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Registered User kris-carney's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Australia
    Age: 29
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    kris-carney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    kris-carney is offline
    Sweet write up man! You look great these days!

    Thanks for the insight very intriguing!
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    Banned nashjocic's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 58
    Posts: 74
    Rep Power: 0
    nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nashjocic is offline
    Originally Posted by kris-carney View Post
    Sweet write up man! You look great these days!

    Thanks for the insight very intriguing!
    Thanks for your responce. I hope that you train with high intensity and eat right diet which is high in protein and fibre, with controled amount of carbs and enough essential fats.
    Best,
    Nash
    Reply With Quote

  19. #19
    Registered User GTmauf's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts: 670
    Rep Power: 4096
    GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    GTmauf is offline
    Good post.
    "A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself" - The One and Only
    Reply With Quote

  20. #20
    Registered User titebuoy's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Posts: 326
    Rep Power: 174
    titebuoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) titebuoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) titebuoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) titebuoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) titebuoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) titebuoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) titebuoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) titebuoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) titebuoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) titebuoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) titebuoy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    titebuoy is offline
    Originally Posted by nashjocic View Post
    Carbs are silently killing more people then smoking and drinking together and sadly there is no information or knowlidge about it. Thousends of peoople are droping dead every day from carbs related diseases and funny enough there are still teories and "experts" that advice people to eat up to 70% of daily calories from carbs!
    I'm curious to know your thoughts other unrefined sweet potatoes, black beans, brown rice, etc. These foods are known to possess various nutrients and phtyochemicals, as does the white potato. Personally I prefer low carb diets, but there is no denying the nutrient content of some carbohydrate dense foods.
    Reply With Quote

  21. #21
    Registered User ezrollin's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: Texas, United States
    Age: 36
    Posts: 882
    Rep Power: 212
    ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ezrollin is offline
    Originally Posted by nashjocic View Post
    you will never be able to eat too much of fish, meat and vegetables. Just try and see what happens. Nash
    I thought these also had carbs? I'm confused.
    vegetable = potato = carb
    Reply With Quote

  22. #22
    Registered User aoba's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Age: 30
    Posts: 1,900
    Rep Power: 581
    aoba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aoba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aoba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aoba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aoba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aoba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aoba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aoba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aoba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aoba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aoba has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    aoba is offline
    ummm fructose doesn't raise blood sugar very high at all like you said, but it is the most likely to be stored as bodyfat, and cannot be used to replenish muscle glycogen...

    With this in mind, moderation is key. Fruit is fine since it has some fiber, but don't just eat fruit ALL day and not have any other carb sources...especially because you want both soluble and insoluble fiber for optimal health. Coming to the conclusion that carbs are terrible after eating 20 scoops of ice cream is far from a good basis for conclusions...
    Revenge they say, is a sucker's game. True love is harder to come
    by.
    Reply With Quote

  23. #23
    Registered User GTmauf's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts: 670
    Rep Power: 4096
    GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    GTmauf is offline
    Originally Posted by titebuoy View Post
    I'm curious to know your thoughts other unrefined sweet potatoes, black beans, brown rice, etc. These foods are known to possess various nutrients and phtyochemicals, as does the white potato. Personally I prefer low carb diets, but there is no denying the nutrient content of some carbohydrate dense foods.
    Most likely, and I can only speak for myself, but those would be fine I would think. Just like veggies would be.
    "A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself" - The One and Only
    Reply With Quote

  24. #24
    Registered User zeppb's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Age: 34
    Posts: 2
    Rep Power: 0
    zeppb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    zeppb is offline
    I agree with you GTmauf. However as long as your not eating too much it should be fine I believe.
    My Reviews Blog: http://healthyfitreviews.blogspot.com/
    Feel free to add me on Digg: http://digg.com/users/zeppb
    As well as Propeller: http://www.propeller.com/member/zeppb/
    ^^
    Reply With Quote

  25. #25
    Banned nashjocic's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 58
    Posts: 74
    Rep Power: 0
    nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nashjocic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nashjocic is offline
    Originally Posted by zeppb View Post
    I agree with you GTmauf. However as long as your not eating too much it should be fine I believe.
    The best think about the Ultimate diet is that with the selection of natural foods you will never over eat! The phenomenon of overeating is happening with the diets that are poor in essential components and fibre (protein, essential fats, enzymes, micronutrients...), so the body is constantly asking for more and more hoping than will get the lacking elements.
    Reply With Quote

  26. #26
    Registered User Bioteknik's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States
    Age: 41
    Posts: 1,941
    Rep Power: 1488
    Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bioteknik is offline
    nash.. why blame carbs for overeating?
    Reply With Quote

  27. #27
    Banned C-Squared's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Location: Orlando, Florida, United States
    Age: 33
    Posts: 8,415
    Rep Power: 0
    C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000)
    C-Squared is offline
    Originally Posted by ezrollin View Post
    I thought these also had carbs? I'm confused.
    vegetable = potato = carb
    The cards in potatoes are no the same as the carbs in, say, broccoli.
    Reply With Quote

  28. #28
    Registered User Bioteknik's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States
    Age: 41
    Posts: 1,941
    Rep Power: 1488
    Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bioteknik is offline
    Originally Posted by C-Squared View Post
    The cards in potatoes are no the same as the carbs in, say, broccoli.
    hardly, just a lot more in the potato
    Reply With Quote

  29. #29
    Registered User ezrollin's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: Texas, United States
    Age: 36
    Posts: 882
    Rep Power: 212
    ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50) ezrollin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ezrollin is offline
    Originally Posted by nashjocic View Post
    You have got it right! Fruit is a natural food and has no more than 10% of fructose. That sugar doesn't need insulin in order to be transported to the cells so is the safest sugar that you can eat. But don't over eat fruit. 2-3 fruits per day is enough and preferably fruit that contains mainly fructose (apples, pears, oranges, cheries, berries etc.). Stay away from dried fruits, they are uo to 70% sugar, to much.
    can you give examples of dried fruit?
    thanks
    Reply With Quote

  30. #30
    The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Location: New York, United States
    Posts: 17,194
    Rep Power: 30357
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    BrotherWolf is offline
    Originally Posted by lth View Post
    Ok. Im so sick of hearing this ****. In the 80's and 90's fat was the enemy, now its carbs. Sorry to tell you man, but people are obese because they eat to damn much period!! There are so many people that i know have tried using the Anabolic Diet to bulk and it didn't do ****. There is much difference in how insulin acts in a healthy, fit body than it does from a sedentary fat****.
    I repped you for that.. common sense is a rare commodity these days ..
    The whole "carb is bad" idea is total ****.
    proof ? dozens of cultures live and thrive on carbs, in fact the healthiest cultures on this planet have diets rich in carbs.. not all carbs are good and not all carbs are bad
    what makes people fat and sick is overeating, eating processed foods and lack of activity... not rice and pasta
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts