View Poll Results: What's best for reading?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stationary Bike

50 74.63%
  • Stair Stepper

2 2.99%
  • Ellipticals

6 8.96%
  • Treadmills

5 7.46%
  • Other

4 5.97%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TheMarsVolta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What's the Best Cardio Machine for Reading?

I want to start getting into cardio after weight training but its always been so boring/painful for me. I want to take my mind off what Im doing and onto something I can learn from. Does anyone know what machine has the least amount of "bouncing" so you can focus on small print?

I drop vagina panties. Wintermule's Avatar
    Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do HIIT. That'll make you focus.
    I rep back 1,000+.

o me so strong..

Workout Journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108859061

**EHUDD IS MY E-HUS** (no homo)

Registered User BoxingAthlete08's Avatar
    BoxingAthlete08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxingAthlete08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxingAthlete08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxingAthlete08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxingAthlete08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxingAthlete08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxingAthlete08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxingAthlete08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxingAthlete08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxingAthlete08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxingAthlete08 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd say stationary bike, ive tryed with elliptical and your head is moving so you can't focus on small letters.

Originally Posted by Wintermule View Post
    Do HIIT. That'll make you focus.
    you cant focus on anything when you do HIIT

Registered User SilvrBckGorilla's Avatar
    SilvrBckGorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SilvrBckGorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SilvrBckGorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SilvrBckGorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SilvrBckGorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SilvrBckGorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SilvrBckGorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SilvrBckGorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SilvrBckGorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SilvrBckGorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SilvrBckGorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stationary Bike or walking on a treadmill.

But in all honesty, if you can read while doing cardio your not putting enough effort into it. Whenever i see someone reading im thinking their either warming up, cooling down, or doing next to nothing.

Back from 2 year break! Atheimetal's Avatar
    Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    EW

If I saw you doing that at my gym I would file you into the "Old lady" or "Douche" category. When I visited a new local gym for two weeks I had never seen a reader (someone reading during cardio) but couldn't believe how many tool-bags did it.
    Pennsylvania State University Alumni: Nutritional Sciences

I drop vagina panties. Wintermule's Avatar
    Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000) Wintermule is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TheMarsVolta View Post
    you cant focus on anything when you do HIIT
    That's the point.

It wouldn't be so boring anymore, now would it?
    I rep back 1,000+.

o me so strong..

Workout Journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108859061

**EHUDD IS MY E-HUS** (no homo)

scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Newton911 View Post

But in all honesty, if you can read while doing cardio your not putting enough effort into it. Whenever i see someone reading im thinking their either warming up, cooling down, or doing next to nothing.
    agreed

I get bored doing LISS, so I do HIIT mainly with the occcasional medium-intensity run or swim.

Thats bogus. When I read on a stationary bike my heart rate is exactly where I want it to be. Its stupid not to read if its possible for you.

scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50) scitalian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thats bogus. When I read on a stationary bike my heart rate is exactly where I want it to be. Its stupid not to read if its possible for you.
    Where do you want your heart rate to be?

Real Join Date: Feb 2005 OneLoveLiftHard's Avatar
    OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000)

That makes no sence for a person on a treadmill...the treadmill makes you go a certain speed or you will fall off, reading just helps some people pass the time. and in my experience most people I see reading on an elliptical or bike are either girls, or over 40 years old. and all their doing is just trying to maintain what they look like and stay healthy.

Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    When I would go on long stationary bikes at my gym (40 min to an hour) I would always bring a magazine and lay in on the panel to read.

TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000)
    I want to start getting into cardio after weight training but its always been so boring/painful for me. I want to take my mind off what Im doing and onto something I can learn from. Does anyone know what machine has the least amount of "bouncing" so you can focus on small print?
    wtf are you reading for while doing cardio, thats sissy material, if your too bored while doing cardio try switching up machines, or actually putting an effort into what your doing so you burn calories instead of sitting there jacking off

OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TMckinlay View Post
    wtf are you reading for while doing cardio, thats sissy material, if your too bored while doing cardio try switching up machines, or actually putting an effort into what your doing so you burn calories instead of sitting there jacking off
    Actually you would burn more calories if you were jacking off during cardio.

SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Read at home. You go to a gym to workout, not find out who Timberlake is dating.

Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twist3dJok3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    People in here are so tough...

Theres nothing wrong with reading a magazine or book while on a stationary bike at the gym. Half of you probably have never biked more than a half hour at the gym and dont realize how boring it gets. You can put out the same amount or very close to the same amount of effort while reading. However, this is just for a bike. Running in the gym on a treadmill or doing the stair master is not a place to be reading.

SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilvrBckChimp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I look at if differently if someone is on a bike. If you are reading on a treadmill you are doing nothing at all.

Originally Posted by ChrisElliot View Post
    I look at if differently if someone is on a bike. If you are reading on a treadmill you are doing nothing at all.
    The treadmill makes you move a certain speed, and if you don't then you fall off, so how could you be doing nothing if your on a treadmill. If your reading on a bike then it may take you focus away from your rpm, and thats when it would be a bad thing to read.

Hey, that is just my opinion, and it is shared by lots. If your reading on a treadmill you are doing 1 of 3 things...

1. About to start working out and just warming up to get the blood flowing
    2. Just ended your workout and are cooling down
    3. Wasting time and doing nothing at all

Hey, that is just my opinion, and it is shared by lots. If your reading on a treadmill you are doing 1 of 3 things...

But it doesn't make sence, i'm trying to think of what your trying to say, but if the treadmill is forcing you to go a certain speed then you will keep up with it so you don't fall off. If you have it set on speed 4 for example, then if your reading or not you will walk speed 4 so you don't fall off the back end.
    Last edited by OneLoveLiftHard; 06-01-2008 at 11:19 AM.

jake777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i swimm 40 lengths cut and bulk after a workout takes about half an hour perfect for ta muscle and joints

and run 3 times a week / do cardio at the gym
    i want meaty traps

Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If you can read while doing cardio you're wasting your time. Cardio must be tough.

kevin49 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin49 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin49 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin49 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin49 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin49 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin49 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin49 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin49 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin49 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin49 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I studied for finals one day riding the seated bike. By seated i mean stationary obviously, but not the upright one.

Wrong. If your doing cardio for 20 - 30 minutes why not do something for your brain as well? As long as you hit your target heart rate your fine.

TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000) TMckinlay is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wrong. If your doing cardio for 20 - 30 minutes why not do something for your brain as well? As long as you hit your target heart rate your fine.
    What we mean is that a) The bike is the worst form of cardio anyways b) if your doing real cardio you should be pretty out of breath for most of the time and pushing yourself c) Reading while doing cardio is what bitches and sissys do so man up and throw the ****ing book away, and if you read while your doing exercise your brain doesnt even absorb all the information your reading so its better to do them seperatly if your reading something to learn, if your reading a magazine or something your just a bitch in my books anyways.. if your getting bored of cardio try ****ing putting an effort into it or change what you do every few days.

What we mean is that a) The bike is the worst form of cardio anyways b) if your doing real cardio you should be pretty out of breath for most of the time and pushing yourself c) Reading while doing cardio is what bitches and sissys do so man up and throw the ****ing book away, and if you read while your doing exercise your brain doesnt even absorb all the information your reading so its better to do them seperatly if your reading something to learn, if your reading a magazine or something your just a bitch in my books anyways.. if your getting bored of cardio try ****ing putting an effort into it or change what you do every few days.
    How is biking the worst form of cardio? Your whole statement is full of ignorance.

Jbert112 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jbert112 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jbert112 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jbert112 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jbert112 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jbert112 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jbert112 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jbert112 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jbert112 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jbert112 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jbert112 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    dude i used to love the mars volta

if your doing real cardio you should be pretty out of breath for most of the time and pushing yourself
    If you wanna burn pure fat then you don't wanna be out of breath by the end of your cardio because that means that either your heart rate is too high and your training your cardiovascular system (not burning pure fat efficiently) or you've put your body into an anearobic state which means your body cannot burn fat at all because your body needs oxygen to break down fat to use as energy, and if you've put your body into ananearobic state then that means its not using oxygen to fuel its energy systems.

Your whole statement was pretty opinonated, but this point that I quoted was 100% false advice if someone wants to burn fat, but if they wanna train their cardiovascular system then they should be doing a high intensity exercise and they wouldn't be able to read anything anways because they would be moving around too much to see the words, and they would be to tired to concentrate on anything else.

Last time I checked reading doesn't mean your a "bitch" or a "sissy", your trying to either pass the time or are trying to learn something. Why do you think they have tv's in the gym? so people can pass the time by watching them wile doing cardio...
    Last edited by OneLoveLiftHard; 06-01-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boarding has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Wrong. Only way your gonna get anything done with cardio is if it's hard. Man up.

SanDee619 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why dont you just get an mp3 player, and listen to music, rather than read?