darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Getting db's into position for flat dumbell bench

This is a weird question but how the heck do you get heavy db's into position for flat dumbell benching?
    I'm now pressing the 110's for incline presses for more than 10 reps for several sets but everytime i fall back on the bench to attempt some flat db benching for the same amount of weight as the inclines, I overbalance and drop the dbs or worse case scenario I fall over (that happened several times).
    How do you guys keep it tight while falling back? Any technique to this? I don't think pressing the same amount of weight is a problem, just getting them into position.
    *Someday I want to meet this "Everyone," he seems to have written so very much, yet all of it is wrong.
    *Nature is the master of design, and knowledge is the master of nature.
    *Uncertainty is the seed of all knowledge - it is the catalyst of investigation

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    hey there DARK: have you heard of those custom hook like thingies that attach to the DBs and then, you can actually hang them on an overhead bar and lift them off the bar to do your reps??

I'll look around on the net and see if I can find these....

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    here you go:

Mind over Muscle Leyton Stone_old's Avatar
    Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

"I not only don't use gloves, I file the skin off my palms before each workout. I also wrap double sided tape about the bar, sprinkle broken glass on it, dip it in acid, then wrap it in razor wire. I also plug the bar into an outlet, and stand in a bucket of water." - Defiant1

darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    hey there DARK: have you heard of those custom hook like thingies that attach to the DBs and then, you can actually hang them on an overhead bar and lift them off the bar to do your reps??

I'll look around on the net and see if I can find these....
    here you go:

Hey John, how's it goin'? Thanks... but damn... i need such equipment? I'll definitely consider it though. But I've seen vids of pros like Ronnie doing flat db benching, the way they fall back on the bench without the db's tipping over. There must be some technique there.
    *Someday I want to meet this "Everyone," he seems to have written so very much, yet all of it is wrong.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ramoayiraka View Post

The first vid. Holy crap. That old guy makes it look too easy. Very humbling to watch but i keep getting distracted by that babe doing SLDL's in the background.

Second vid, one of my most favourite vids of all time.

Sound Mind & Sound Body BLSjacked's Avatar
    BLSjacked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLSjacked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLSjacked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLSjacked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLSjacked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLSjacked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLSjacked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLSjacked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLSjacked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLSjacked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLSjacked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i used to have the same problem. I now use my chest as sort of a trampoline. Bounce it up enough so you don't have problems. With that being said...... do not overdo it. has potential for disaster, I know.
    Lifetime Athletic - Rockville
    Personal Trainer
    ISMA - Complete
    NASM - Next

Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by BLSjacked View Post
    i used to have the same problem. I now use my chest as sort of a trampoline. Bounce it up enough so you don't have problems. With that being said...... do not overdo it. has potential for disaster, I know.
    Definitely sounds dangerous. I would try something else, haha.

Btw, that old guy is crazy!

liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by darklight79 View Post
    The first vid. Holy crap. That old guy makes it look too easy. Very humbling to watch but keep getting distracted by that babe doing SLDL's in the background.
    x2!! Emphasis in bold!

Mike

killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yea if you keep them tight and close to your body and your elbows tucked in tight. They should stay close to your body when you lay down and shouldnt cause you to lose balance. If your elbows are tucked in tight and underneath you, it puts you in an immediate position to press the weight up when you get your body situated.

Originally Posted by killatiger View Post
    Yea if you keep them tight and close to your body and your elbows tucked in tight. They should stay close to your body when you lay down and shouldnt cause you to lose balance. If your elbows are tucked in tight and underneath you, it puts you in an immediate position to press the weight up when you get your body situated.
    Thanks. Ok... I'm gonna try this and see. If it doesn't work, I'll have to seriously consider getting the equipment John suggested. Lemme go take a vid on my next chest session. If i fall down again, I'll still post it.

Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100)
    I always thought you bounce them off the thighs to get the momentum and go from there to lift.

Originally Posted by Flair4TheGold View Post
    I always thought you bounce them off the thighs to get the momentum and go from there to lift.
    Not really possible. I would like to say that the db's in my gym are pretty long. Here's a shot of me halfway pressing them for inclines:-

Due to their length, you can see why i have a tendency to overbalance and tip over when i fall back. If i had db's like the ones in the old guy's gym, then maybe it wouldn't be that difficult. I don't know....

anonymous
    Hey John, how's it goin'? Thanks... but damn... i need such equipment? I'll definitely consider it though. But I've seen vids of pros like Ronnie doing flat db benching, the way they fall back on the bench without the db's tipping over. There must be some technique there.
    I have a pair and hate them.

When I do db benching with 160's+ I get 2 spotters to lift them for me, that way you can lock your shoulders down when you press

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Personally its all about at what point in my workout on chest day do I perform db presses. At the start I will go really heavy (wont say numbers because its subject to ego) at the middle I will go alittle lighter and at the end if i perform them I will go much lighter. I swap it all around to give my workout some dynamics so sometimes my friends at the gym wonder why I struggle with X weight when last week they saw me pushing Y weight with ease (x<y). After a good number of sets etc..my arms and chest start feeling like tight jelly (lol) and they are unstable so obviously its much harder to position the db's.

So I guess I could ask when during your workouts are you trying to push these up? Im just taking a wild stab because thats the case for me, and may not be the case for you.

Good luck!
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game

uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000)
    The first vid. Holy crap. That old guy makes it look too easy. Very humbling to watch but i keep getting distracted by that babe doing SLDL's in the background.

Second vid, one of my most favourite vids of all time.
    Notice that old guy gets up with them and puts them down NOT like the YAHOOs at LA Fitness where I train that let out a groan and let them bounce off the floor
    I know muscle has a memory but I think mine has Alzheimers

uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000)
    here you go:

That is what I need

I can do 27 reps with 50s on the flat but can't clean and get 55s up
    Damn downright embarrassing
    I know muscle has a memory but I think mine has Alzheimers

skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    here you go:

What brand name is that? Where do you get them? Thanks.

greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Or put one chair on each side of the bench to hold the dbs.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sir_Malak View Post
    Personally its all about at what point in my workout on chest day do I perform db presses. At the start I will go really heavy (wont say numbers because its subject to ego) at the middle I will go alittle lighter and at the end if i perform them I will go much lighter. I swap it all around to give my workout some dynamics so sometimes my friends at the gym wonder why I struggle with X weight when last week they saw me pushing Y weight with ease (x<y). After a good number of sets etc..my arms and chest start feeling like tight jelly (lol) and they are unstable so obviously its much harder to position the db's.

So I guess I could ask when during your workouts are you trying to push these up? Im just taking a wild stab because thats the case for me, and may not be the case for you.

Good luck!
    Hi. I work my chest every 6 days. One session I'll start of with incline db benches and next session it'll be Smith incline benches. As you can see I put priority on incline work for chest everytime. Flat db benching is always my second exercise done on every session.
    Due to the db length and stability issues, I always go light on them. Just for once i'd like to go a lil heavier, that's why i posted a thread asking for advice on the techniques of setting them up. As for the numbers... heh. There's tons of crazy people here pressing way a lot more than me but i like the feeling of pushing myself to go heavier if i can, within safety limits of course.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Lemme see what i can do the next session.