Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Unhappy Pullups; close grip and wide grip

Well when I go to the gym I do the pull downs, which are relatively easier. But at home, I try and do pullups since I can't do the pulldowns without a machine.

Anyway, I got myself a pullup bar . Anyway, I tried to do the close grip pull up, and I managed to do 4 sets of 8 reps. Was a bit difficult but I managed.

But then I tried to do the wide grip version:

And I just couldn't hurl myself upwards. At most, I did 2-3 reps, than literally could not continue my sets on it. Well I did finish the 4 sets, but the reps weren't "full" reps if you know what I mean.

Is this normal? I will try them every week, HOPEFULLY I'll improve. I do hope in some way I did actually work out my back muscles today and these pullups weren't a waste of time (since I could not really complete the Wide grip ones).
    "Get up, and don't ever give up".

NtownJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NtownJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From what I understand wide grips will work your back more and close grips will work your arms more.

I recently got a pull up bar for my home gym as well to better hit my lats. I found a few different exercises and one great one said to use a wide grip and almost lean back to bring your midsection/lower chest to the bar rather then your chin above it.

If you are having trouble getting reps you could do negatives where you jump to the contracted position and then slowly let yourself down to the start position.

xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NtownJ View Post
    From what I understand wide grips will work your back more and close grips will work your arms more.

I recently got a pull up bar for my home gym as well to better hit my lats. I found a few different exercises and one great one said to use a wide grip and almost lean back to bring your midsection/lower chest to the bar rather then your chin above it.

If you are having trouble getting reps you could do negatives where you jump to the contracted position and then slowly let yourself down to the start position.
    Negatives sound something I could do, probably easier.

About that better exercise you mentioned, how do you perform it exactly? I can't quite make out what you mean. The underlined part.

NtownJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NtownJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I appologize it was this (Chins not Pullups):

Gironda Sternum Chins

Exercise Data
    Main Muscle Worked: Lats
    Other Muscles Worked: Biceps,Middle Back
    Equipment: Other
    Mechanics Type: Compound

Tips: Many have dubbed this the single best lat exercise ever invented! This involves leaning back throughout the entire movement. In this variation, the lower portion of the chest should touch the bar. Begin by grasping the pull-up bar with an underhand grip, approximately shoulder width apart. Now hang with your arms fully extended. As you pull yourself to the bar, have your head lean back as far away from the bar as possible and arch your spine throughout the movement. At the upper end of the movement, your hips and legs will be at about a 45-degree angle to the floor. You should keep pulling until your collarbone passes the bar and your lower chest or sternum area touches it. By the time you've completed the concentric portion of the movement; your head will be parallel to the floor.

Found here:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...ip=&order=Name

R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution 19george's Avatar
    19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The reason that chins (the close grip) variation is easier is because your biceps are involved a lot more in the exercise. Its entirely natural to be able to do more chinups than pullups.
    Repay no evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. - Romans 12:17

Thank you Ntown for that I'll try it out on my next workout.

@george: Yes it was my first time I attempted a pullup at home, or anywere else for that matter.

FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You are probably only going to get a few when you first start(I was doing sets of 1-2), and over time you will be able to do more and more. When you get up to doing 3 sets of 12 you need to look into doing weighted pullups. What hes talking about is arching your back when you do the pullups and trying to touch your chest to the bar, not your neck.
    FAO

Stay Healthy...

Originally Posted by FAO View Post
    You are probably only going to get a few when you first start(I was doing sets of 1-2), and over time you will be able to do more and more. When you get up to doing 3 sets of 12 you need to look into doing weighted pullups. What hes talking about is arching your back when you do the pullups and trying to touch your chest to the bar, not your neck.
    Thank you for clearing that up. It is my understanding that this helps hit the lats better and less on the arms, my whole reason for adding them into my workouts.

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    As mentioned, the underhand grip works the biceps more.

However, you must also take into consideration that you did the wide overhand pull-up AFTER doing 4 sets of chin-ups. So general fatigue is a factor.

Since pull-ups (overhand grip) are harder, I would do them first.

Here's to a big, strong back!
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

Thanks all for you help

It could be due to the fatigue too. So next time I'll start with pullups.

porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    When I started, (6 ft, 150 lbs), I tried to do wide grip chins and couldn't even do one.
    So I did lat pulldowns 3 times a week. 2 months later, I could do about 4 wide grip chins. Each back workout, I would do as many chins as I could until I got 20 total reps. I think it took me almost 10 sets to get it. Then I got better. Once I could get 20 reps in 5 sets, I moved up to 30 total reps in as many sets as it took. Then I moved up to 40 reps, then 50.

When you can get 50 total reps in 5 sets, you will have a very different back. it took me 6 months to get there.

Yeah I guess I'll need a couple of months to get used to pullups.

Still...I kinda enjoyed ''hangin' around''

pkirk330 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pkirk330 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pkirk330 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pkirk330 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pkirk330 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pkirk330 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pkirk330 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pkirk330 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pkirk330 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pkirk330 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pkirk330 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NtownJ View Post
    I appologize it was this (Chins not Pullups):

Gironda Sternum Chins

Exercise Data
    Main Muscle Worked: Lats
    Other Muscles Worked: Biceps,Middle Back
    Equipment: Other
    Mechanics Type: Compound

Tips: Many have dubbed this the single best lat exercise ever invented! This involves leaning back throughout the entire movement. In this variation, the lower portion of the chest should touch the bar. Begin by grasping the pull-up bar with an underhand grip, approximately shoulder width apart. Now hang with your arms fully extended. As you pull yourself to the bar, have your head lean back as far away from the bar as possible and arch your spine throughout the movement. At the upper end of the movement, your hips and legs will be at about a 45-degree angle to the floor. You should keep pulling until your collarbone passes the bar and your lower chest or sternum area touches it. By the time you've completed the concentric portion of the movement; your head will be parallel to the floor.

Found here:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...ip=&order=Name
    I rarely do them anymore but i used to get a great back pump from these. Hard to exactly master but once you can do a solid set you will really like them.

SluttySamantha is not very well liked. (-100) SluttySamantha is not very well liked. (-100) SluttySamantha is not very well liked. (-100) SluttySamantha is not very well liked. (-100) SluttySamantha is not very well liked. (-100) SluttySamantha is not very well liked. (-100) SluttySamantha is not very well liked. (-100) SluttySamantha is not very well liked. (-100) SluttySamantha is not very well liked. (-100) SluttySamantha is not very well liked. (-100) SluttySamantha is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by xuerebx View Post
    Well when I go to the gym I do the pull downs, which are relatively easier. But at home, I try and do pullups since I can't do the pulldowns without a machine.

Anyway, I got myself a pullup bar . Anyway, I tried to do the close grip pull up, and I managed to do 4 sets of 8 reps. Was a bit difficult but I managed.

But then I tried to do the wide grip version:

And I just couldn't hurl myself upwards. At most, I did 2-3 reps, than literally could not continue my sets on it. Well I did finish the 4 sets, but the reps weren't "full" reps if you know what I mean.

Is this normal? I will try them every week, HOPEFULLY I'll improve. I do hope in some way I did actually work out my back muscles today and these pullups weren't a waste of time (since I could not really complete the Wide grip ones).
    OP, Both versions work the lats as a whole with the narrow version emphasizing the lower lats while the wider version focuses more on the upper lats.

If you performed 4 sets of narrow grip pullups - naturally the next 4 sets of wider grip pull ups are going to be harder because your lats are fatigued. Simple as that. Keep doing them and getting stronger.

Greg1975 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greg1975 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greg1975 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greg1975 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greg1975 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greg1975 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greg1975 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greg1975 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greg1975 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greg1975 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greg1975 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by porcupinetree View Post
    When I started, (6 ft, 150 lbs), I tried to do wide grip chins and couldn't even do one.
    So I did lat pulldowns 3 times a week. 2 months later, I could do about 4 wide grip chins. Each back workout, I would do as many chins as I could until I got 20 total reps. I think it took me almost 10 sets to get it. Then I got better. Once I could get 20 reps in 5 sets, I moved up to 30 total reps in as many sets as it took. Then I moved up to 40 reps, then 50.

When you can get 50 total reps in 5 sets, you will have a very different back. it took me 6 months to get there.
    The 'Arnold Technique'. I've thought about trying this but figured I'd just burn out doing all those reps to failure at the start of my routine (I do back/bis with wide grip chins being the first exercise).

Also, do you happen to have before and after pics? I've always been curious just how dramatic the results are.

Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by porcupinetree View Post

Great post.

OP just keep at it, and try the pullups first, at least for a while. Pullups feel great for me, never could feel lat pulldowns very much. When I started doing pullups again, I was good for a couple sets of 8-9 reps. Progressed well to the point of repping 12-15 pretty easily. Now doing sets of 8 with 35-45 lbs. added. Just try to keep the same focus and intensity you put in to other exercises. Personally I feel 4 sets of 8 is not bad for just starting. If you start to plateau, experiment with different grips and mix in chins underhanded as well.
    If it feels good its good for you.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    xurebx, as stated, everyone is worse at wide grips. Also you did them after close grip (was it chin ups, or pull ups? the picture you linked is of chin ups - underhand).

Do wide grips first, if you start struggling, try going to a shoulder width over hand. Then an underhand grip. Finally the easiest grip is a neutral grip (palms facing each other) if your bar allows.

When doing the negatives, hold a dumbbell between your feet, so heavy that you can only get 1 rep, then pull yourself up and perform the negative.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    sternum chins are like half chins, half rows

porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Greg1975 View Post
    The 'Arnold Technique'. I've thought about trying this but figured I'd just burn out doing all those reps to failure at the start of my routine (I do back/bis with wide grip chins being the first exercise).

Also, do you happen to have before and after pics? I've always been curious just how dramatic the results are.
    Yes, it is the Arnold technique.
    I have pictures, but they are not scanned and I don't have a scanner.
    Let's just say that I started weighing 150 pounds, and now I weigh 200.
    In that first year, I gained 15 pounds. Went from having zero back, to people commenting on it a lot. It really does at width to your back. But then I concentrated more on bb rows to add density. Doing just wide grip chins will grow your lats, but does not build a perfect back.

Thanks guys/gals (sluttysamantha girl right?).

@Chaz: The sets I managed to complete were chin ups. My bad on saying they were close grip pullups.

I know I need time to get used to it, but I was still concerned. I never done these before, and hope I'll see progress since a LOT of people encouraged me to try them out. I also do the T-bar rows on a machine will at the gym.

@Porcupine: When you said bb rows add density, do you mean adding that 'thick' look to the back? I haven't tried BB rows yet.

Though really I think anything right will work for me, I used to work on machine before and always wanted to try out free weights. Changed gyms and only been a week since I started a 3 day split for the first time, and using free weights always (except for the T bar rows, and calf machine).

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks guys/gals (sluttysamantha girl right?).

@Chaz: The sets I managed to complete were chin ups. My bad on saying they were close grip pullups.

I know I need time to get used to it, but I was still concerned. I never done these before, and hope I'll see progress since a LOT of people encouraged me to try them out. I also do the T-bar rows on a machine will at the gym.

@Porcupine: When you said bb rows add density, do you mean adding that 'thick' look to the back? I haven't tried BB rows yet.

Though really I think anything right will work for me, I used to work on machine before and always wanted to try out free weights. Changed gyms and only been a week since I started a 3 day split for the first time, and using free weights always (except for the T bar rows, and calf machine).
    Rows will add more lat thickness, whereas the pull ups, will do more lat width. Make sure to incorporate both to get a good all around back.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

Yes, bb rows and tbar rows add thickness in the back, that studded look. Doing just pullup will give width, but it will just be smooth.

I think bb rows are fantastic. They are not comfortable and they take a lot of practice to do correctly.
    I do them with an underhand grip. I think it is very important to start out with a light weight and learn how to do them correctly and to feel the back doing the work. Too many people use too much weight and heave the weight into the air with a lot of jerking and lower back work.
    You want to pull with your lats. I try to do them as strictly as possible.
    Keeping your lower back arched is also very important.
    Really, keeping your lower back arched in any back exercise is very important. It will put more stress on the lats.
    Last edited by porcupinetree; 05-13-2008 at 09:27 AM.

I will have to try these BB rows!

zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    have someone help you by pushing on your feet or your back until you can do them better. when i started i could only do like 3 wide grip then i needed help to get like 3 sets of 8 (almost all assisted), now i dont need the help and can just do the sets. its still a much better workout than a pulldown machine to just do REAL pullups. theres no cheating with pullups, pulldown machines = crap IMO

I know I feel much better when doing pullups/chinups than when I always do pulldowns. I'll try and ask someone at home to assist me when doing the pullups.

I used to use crappy ass machines before, and now I've turned onto these. Hopefully I see some improvements in these 2 months, better than the improvement in my last 2 months.

Originally Posted by zeppelin8778 View Post
    have someone help you by pushing on your feet or your back until you can do them better. when i started i could only do like 3 wide grip then i needed help to get like 3 sets of 8 (almost all assisted), now i dont need the help and can just do the sets. its still a much better workout than a pulldown machine to just do REAL pullups. theres no cheating with pullups, pulldown machines = crap IMO
    LoL, no cheating on pull ups? That is hilarious. I beg to differ, and have seen many guys cheat on every single rep of every single set. Momentum works wonders when doing half assed pull ups.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zeppelin8778 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    LoL, no cheating on pull ups? That is hilarious. I beg to differ, and have seen many guys cheat on every single rep of every single set. Momentum works wonders when doing half assed pull ups.
    ok well if you dont jump off the ground. i mean real pullups. cool unnecessary response... post something useful

You mean like they 'jerk' upwards while doing the pullup?

i guess... how i do pullups is i go until my chin is even with the bar then i drop down to about an inch or so before a hang, keeping tension the whole time... i dont see how there would be any jerk if youre holding tension the whole time and start going back up just before hitting the bottom hang point.

Originally Posted by zeppelin8778 View Post
    ok well if you dont jump off the ground. i mean real pullups. cool unnecessary response... post something useful
    you can cheat without jumping. I like to think I post a good amount of useful information. Besides, apparently this was useful, since you thought there was no way to cheat on a pullup.
    Yes, there are guys who swing the whole time, never pause "kick" (in the air) with their legs to get momentum going. I am sure you have seen others doing this, as half the people who attempt to due pull ups, due them like that.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -