Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10)

audioescape's quest for the single digit BF% - Body-for-Life

audioescape's quest for the single digit BF% - Body-for-Life

Hi everyone! First of all, thanks for reading this. Let's get this rollin'...

The Starting Point - How did I get here

Heres my story: I started lifting weights (not bodybuilding) a few years ago. I was a vegetarian back then so I didn't gain much muscle. Then, I started eating lean white meats and my progress improved a bit. Last year I followed Rippetoe's and a couple of other programs on and off.

This year, I did 4 weeks of Bill Phillips' Body-For-Life and obtained some good results. Lowered my BF by 2.5 points in that time and managed to mantain some muscle. I got injured in my foot, and I've been recovering for over a month.

Now, I'm ready to follow the program by the book and get my training and nutrition in check. Will do it for 12 to 15 weeks (more details later).

The Goal - Why am I doing this?

Simply stated: To reach a single digit BF% while still maintaining as much muscle as possible.

Why? Because my BF% has never gone under the 14% mark. I want to reach less than 10% so I can start a "clean bulk" after everything's said and done. Also, -I know it sounds superficial, but- I've never seen my abs in my life.

Motivation - The driving factor

Believe it or not, one major factor of me falling off the wagon is my lovely girlfriend. (I don't blame her, the responsability is all mine, but she's a factor). As some of you have experienced with your significant others, she thinks I get obsessed too much with food (portion sizes, etc) when I start a program. She's more into the "do-it-for-health" approach to fitness. I'm 100% goal oriented. If I do something, I need a goal to keep me goin' till I reach it or die tryin'.

Well, it turns out, she'll be in Texas for the next 16 weeks. So when she gets back, I wanna surprise her with the results of my "obsession".

The Plan - Timing is everything...

Start: Monday, May 12th 2008

Finish: Sunday, Aug 2nd 2008

That's 12 weeks. Just in case, I left 3 extra weeks before GF comes home to do some extra work. So I might be ending the program 'till Sunday, August 23rd. 15 weeks total.

The Program - Drop down and gimme 20!

Body for Life is a 12-week diet and exercise program, and also an annual physique transformation competition. It was created by Bill Phillips, a former competitive bodybuilder and the founder of EAS, a manufacturer of nutritional supplements. It has been popularised by a bestselling book of the same name.

There are really two keys to the BFL Challenge:

1) Daily, brief, progressive workouts: Alternating 20 minute aerobic workouts using intervals, and 46 minute weight training workouts using the "high-point" technique.

2) Frequent, limited, high-quality meals: Six meals a day, consisting of a portion of protein, and a portion of carbohydrates, and about a gallon of water daily.

This ain't nothing new or revolutionary. Basically, Mr. Phillips took some of the proven principles of good ol' bodybuilding and packaged them into a book for the average joe. It is a no non-sense, no BS, no excuses program. Easy to follow by almost anyone.

The weight training follows a half-pyramid style and works upper body and lower body on separate days. Whereas, the cardio training consists in 20 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), 3 times a week.

I'll be lifting weights in my local gym and doing my cardio session with a Spinning Bike I have at home.

The workouts will be splitted this way...

- Monday - Wednesday - Friday: Weight Training

- Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday: Cardio Training (HIIT)

- Sunday: Well earned rest

The key to this program is intensity in every workout and comittment in every meal. If you wanna dig deeper into the BFL Program/Challenge, visit:

http://www.bodyforlife.com - Official Website

http://www.hussmanfitness.com/html/TPBodyforLife.html - The science behind it

http://www.webmd.com/diet/body-for-life-what-it-is - Program overview

Nutrition - You are what you eat...

As in any workout program, nutrition is key. Some say 90% of success comes out of it. As I stated before, Bill Phillips made it easy for the avg. joe to get in shape. Regular people don't know much about nutrition, calories, body mass index, maintenance calories, counting calories... most don't even know what a calorie is! (See "Super Size Me" for a proof of that).

So he just came up with a list of "kosher" foods and a simple way to put them together in a balanced, well-rounded, small meal. Not by counting calories, but my measuring portion sizes. What is a portion size, you ask? Something similar to the palm of your hand if you're measuring lean protein, and something like the size of your closed fist, if measuring carbs.

See how simple it is? If you can see your hands, you can measure portions.

So the program requires 6 small meals a day, made up of "good" carbs (complex), lean protein, and some 'good' fats.

It also allows for 1 free day a week (tipically on Sunday), when you can eat whatever you've being denying yourself during the week. Although I don't advocate for 'binge days', I believe a planned "cheat" has its benefits, physically and psycologically.

When it comes to nutrition, a 'cheat' ain't cheatin' if you're strategically planning it as a part of your program.

Here's how to create a meal in BFL, plus a list of "authorized" foods:

http://www.bodyforlife.com/nutrition/createmeal.asp

A side note: Something I still don't understand about BFL, is that Bill advocates for working out on an empty stomach. I won't be doing that, for I have read it is highly catabolic and desastrous for whatever muscle mass I have.

Supps - The icing on the cake

Are this bad boys absolutely necessary? No. Can they be beneficial? Yes, if used wisely and with the right timing.

I personally don't consider Whey Protein to be a suplement. It is part of a nutritious breakfast... I mean, program. I'll be chuggin' whey pre and post WO only. You won't be seeing whey showing up the rest of the day in my logs. I'm more into food for meals. I'll be having protein bars whenever I'm on the run.

I have a couple of unoppened bottles of Fat Loss Supps I got as gifts. One is Cut 25 by GNC, and the other one is a TwinLab's Ripped Fuel 5x. Since my goal is leaning towards fat loss, I'll be using those (I might start with Cut 25, give it a week or two after I finished the bottle and start with RippedFuel).

Other supps:

GNC's Mega Men Sport Multivitamin
    Omega 3 Fish Oil Caps
    BCAA's - preWO, postWO and preBed
    Glutamine
    EAS 100% Whey Protein
    EAS Myoplex bars
    Detour Protein Bars
    MRM Response Bars

The Stats - Numbers don't lie

Weight: 176 lbs
    Height: 5'11

Bodyfat %: 14%

BMI: 24

Measurements:

Chest: 102 cm / 40.15 in
    Waist: 80 cm / 31.5 in
    Biceps: 35.5 cm / 14 in
    Thighs: 58 cm / 22.83 in
    Calves: 35.5 cm / 14 in

The Pics - What you see is what you get...

The BFL Program strongly encourages to take before and after pics. (The actual competition is actually based on the pics). Well, here they are:

January 21 - Before Starting BFL 1.0

Mar 24, 2008 - Before left foot injury

May 10, 2008 - Today

Today

For a guy who's relatively active, it doesn't show much for me, you know what I mean? But they ain't terrible either. I think I'm at a decent -realistic- starting point for what my goal is.

I'll be posting new pics every week to monitor my progress. Also, I'll take some better "before" pics tomorrow at home.

The Obstacles - Roadblocks in the way...

A lot of things can happen in 15 weeks. This will not be the exception. I have a major roadblock in the way. During week 5 (starting Monday 9th) I'll be on a business trip in Colorado -the whole week. I still don't know the hotel I'll be staying at, or if it has a gym.

That's the major roadblock I can forsee right now. I'm sure I'll work a way around it. From a nutrition point of view, I'm pretty sure I'll stick to my diet 100%.

The Wrap Up - See you on Monday

Well, that's it folks. That's my plan and those are my goals. I know this was long, so thank you so much for taking the time to read/browse through this. Prepare for a wild ride, for I'll be updating every single day of the week, and logging everything - workouts, meals, supps, comments and more. I won't promise any videos (no camera), but you'll be seeing progress pics every week.

Thanks again!

-audioescape.
    .::. .::. .::. .::. .::. .::. .::. .::. .::.
    nothing worth achieving comes easy .::.

audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10) audioescape is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up Week 1 - Day 1

Week 1

Day 1 - Upper Body

Man, it feels good to be back in the gym after 3+ weeks! I started on the low end, you know, the safe side. I hope my lifts will progress with time. Don't wanna burn out on day 1.

Sidenote: BFL requieres two excersises to be performed at the end of each body part with no rest in between, for lack of a better name, I'm calling them "Pump Sets".

Ok, onto the workout...

Chest

Dumbbell Bench Press
    12 x 50
    10 x 60
    8 x 70
    6 x 80

-Pump set-
    12 x 60 - Dumbbell Bench Press
    12 x 40 - Dumbbell Flys

Shoulders

Military Press
    12 x 30
    10 x 40
    8 x 50
    6 x 60

-Pump set-
    12 x 40 - Military Press
    12 x 20 - Lateral raises

Back

Pull-downs
    12 x 60
    10 x 70
    8 x 80
    6 x 90

-Pump set-
    12 x 80 - Pull-downs
    12 x 35 - Dumbbell rows

Triceps

Dumbbell Tricep Extension
    12 x 20
    10 x 25
    8 x 30
    6 x 35

-Pump set-
    12 x 25 - Tricep Extension
    12 x 20 - French Press

Biceps

Seated Dumbbell Curls
    12 x 20
    10 x 30
    8 x 40
    6 x 50

-Pump set-
    12 x 30 -- Dumbbell Curls
    12 x 30 -- Hammers

NOTES/COMMENTS:

It was a good start. The chest excersise weren't as challenging as they should, but I figure, since I'm starting out, it's ok. Back was challenging towards the end. Almost failed with the bicep hammers and I sacrificed a little form there. Not cool. I'll do better next time.

NUTRITION LOG:

Meal 1
    5:00 a.m.

1 scoop of whey
    5 oz. of skim milk
    1/2 cup of oats/flax seed/granola (no sugar) blend

Meal 2 (pre workout)
    7: 00 a.m.

2 scoops of whey
    5 oz. of distilled water

Meal 3 (post workout)
    9:30 a.m.

Omelet (3 egg whites/1 egg yolk)
    Whole wheat flour tortilla

Meal 4
    12:30 p.m.

Grilled chicken breast (1 portion)
    Green salad with olive oil
    1 1/2 slice of whole wheat bread

Meal 5
    4:00 p.m.

Small can of tuna
    2 slices of whole wheat bread

Meal 6
    7:00 p.m.

Swordfish (1 portion)
    Steamed veggies

Meal 7 (prebed)
    9:30 p.m.

1/4 cup of yogurt
    1/2 cup of cottage cheese

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

Pre workout:

BCAA's (2 caps)
    L-Glutamine (1 cap, 1000 mg)

Post workout:

BCAA's (2 caps)

Fatburners:

GNC's Cut 25 (2 caps / 1 before breakfast and 1 before lunch)

Multi:

GNC's Mega Men Sport (2 caps / 1 before breakfast and 1 before lunch)

EFAs:

1 cap of flaxseed (1000 mg) before lunch

Prebed:

BCAA's (2 caps)

FINAL THOUGHT:

Well, that's it for the first day. THANKS so much for stopping by! Remember, any advice is greatly appreciated (and of course... repped).

Don't be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves.

~Dale Carnegie

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

Cool Day 2 - HIIT Cardio

Day 2 - HIIT Cardio

I'm sure many of you know about Hight Intensity Interval Training. The name says it all, right? Well, there's tons of info on the subject, here at bb.com and all over the net. HIIT has become very popular among bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts as an effective way to shed unwanted body fat.

Basically, instead of staying on the threadmill for 1 hour at a regular pace, you push your cardio boundries to the limit, alternating with lower intensity intervals. Hence, the name. It's quick. If done properly, after 20 minutes you're out. Can't do more. It's effective. It's intense... and it ain't boring.

You can read more about it in here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...erval_training

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

http://www.hiitsource.com/getting-started/

20 Minute Aerobic Solution

Yeah, I know it sounds cheese. But that's the name of BFL's HIIT workout. Dr. John P. Hussman explains it like this:

You start with two minutes of warmup at a level 5, then move to level 6 for a minute, then 7. This portion of your workout is aerobic. You should be able to carry on a broken conversation, breathing deeply but not out of breath. Your level 8 should have more bounce and push to it, taking you slightly out of your comfort range. Your level 9 effort is a "high point" and should be somewhat anaerobic. The goal is not extreme exertion. If you aren't getting somewhat winded and you don't feel a modest burn in your muscles near the end, it's probably too easy, but no gasping as if you've been held underwater.

After your level 9, you drop back down to a level 6 (that's a level 6, not a 2 or 3). As noted on my main fitness page, you're shooting for "active recovery", or what physiologists sometimes call "recovery under stress."

The fourth time through this cycle, you add a "high point" - a level 10, after your 9. No gasping allowed, but you should be getting winded. Though you are taking in a lot of oxygen at this point, the energy demands are still greater than can be produced aerobically, so you are challenging your lactate system. After your 10, you'll get the most benefit from your 10 if you get your breath back to a fully conversational level before stopping. That may take an extra few minutes, but "Twenty-three-and-a-half minute aerobics solution" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    I have a Spinning Bike at home, so I'll be performing my cardio on it. I like running but it tends to hurt my knees.

NOTES/COMMENTS:

My iPod is my faithful companion during my intense cardio sessions. I just love to get pumped up with the music and follow the rhythm (ala spinning class). However, I left my iPod at work, so I had to workout without music. I didn't like it, but what the hey... gotta do what you gotta do.

As I stated before, I was recovering for over 3 weeks from a foot injury. Before that, I was lifting but doing no cardio. So today was like my first cardio session in about 8 weeks. And man, I felt it!!!! The base of my throat still hurts a little when I breath deeply.

My legs were shaking at the end of the workout. But I enjoyed it very much.

NUTRITION LOG:

Well, it is almost 9:30 right now, but I'll post everything I'll be eating during the day right away. I have it all here at work, packaged and ready to eat when the time comes. So you can be sure I'll stick to what's written down 100%.

Meal 1 (pre cardio)
    6:15 a.m.

1 scoop of whey
    5 oz. of water

Meal 2 (post cardio)

1 scoop of whey
    5 oz. of skim milk

Meal 3

1 plum

Meal 4

Black beans (1 portion)

Meal 5

Small can of tuna
    1 slices of whole wheat bread
    1 plum

Meal 6

1 Myoplex Bar

Meal 7 (prebed)

1/4 cup of yogurt

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

Fatburners:

Multi:

EFAs:

Prebed:

BCAA's (2 caps)

SIDENOTE: I'm not taking any BCAA's or L-Glutamine pills before cardio or afterwards... but should I? Dunno. I hope somebody shed some light on this one.

FINAL THOUGHT:

That's it for the first cardio session of the program. Man, it feels great! HIIT makes me feel very energized and positive during the day. Thanks so much for reading... here's a quote for ya:

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another.

~Walter Elliott

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

Wink Day 3 - Lower Body

Day 3 - Lower Body

First lower body workout... Legs were shakin' when all was said and done. I guess that's a good thing.

I woke up with some serious DOMS from last Monday's workout. Nothing major, you know... the usual.

On to the workout!

Quads

Dumbbell Squats
    12 x 60
    10 x 60
    8 x 70
    6 x 90

-Pump set-
    12 x 70 - Dumbbell Squats
    12 x 70 - Leg Extensions

Hamstrings

Dumbbell Deadlifts
    12 x 50
    10 x 60
    8 x 70
    6 x 80

-Pump set-
    12 x 80 - Dumbbell Deadlifts
    12 x 65 - Lying Leg Curls

Calves

Standing Calf Raise
    12 x 50
    10 x 60
    8 x 70
    6 x 80

-Pump set-
    12 x 60 - Standing Calf Raise
    12 x 60 - Standing Dumbbell Calf Raise

Abs

Ab Crunches
    35 x 4

-Pump set-
    35 x 1 - Ab Crunches
    35 x 1 - Leg Raises

Forearms

Barbell Wrist Curls
    20 x 10
    15 x 15
    15 x 20
    15 x 25

-Pump set-
    15 x 15 -- Barbell Wrist Curls
    15 x 15 -- Reverse Barbell Curls

NOTES/COMMENTS:

I'm not a big fan of working legs. I do it, I push myself every time. But is not like "whoopeee I get to work legs, today!" My GF, for instance, she loooves to workout her lower body and she ain't a big fan of upper body workouts.

It's funny, one of my strongest body parts are my quads and hamstrings. Unproportionally large compared to the rest of my body. My calves, however, are one of my weak spots. I train those 'till it hurts. Hopefully, by the end of this programme, I'll achieve a little bit more balance.

You may have noticed I included a Forearm workout. ?What's that about? Well, BFL doesn't work the forearms that much. And that's a weak spot for me too. I gotta work it out. For me, not working out my forearms is like not working out my calves.

I'll throw my forearm workout on lower body day (just because the workout is shorter).

I liked the Abs... it's good to workout abs again. More comments on that next week.

NUTRITION LOG:

Meal 1 (pre workout)
    5:00 a.m.

1 scoop of whey
    5 oz. of skim milk

Meal 2 (post workout)

1 1/2 scoops of whey
    5 oz. of distilled water

Meal 3

1 tiny apple

Meal 4

Black beanz (1 portion)

Meal 5

Small can of tuna
    2 slices of whole wheat bread (no crust)

Meal 6

Tuna salad
    Black beans (1 portion)

Meal 7 (prebed)

1/4 cup of yogurt

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

Pre workout:

BCAA's (2 caps)

Post workout:

BCAA's (2 caps)

Fatburners:

Multi:

EFAs:

Prebed:

Crud! I was so tired I felt asleep and didn't take my BCAAs

FINAL THOUGHT:

And there it went the first lower body workout... aka third day on the program. Still just the beginning, but a good start nontheless.

Big shots are only little shots who keep shooting.

~Christopher Morley

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.
    Last edited by audioescape; 05-15-2008 at 08:21 AM.

Day 4 - Cardio

Day 4 - HIIT Cardio

Morning... sunshine? Not from where I'm sitting, but anyways... thanks for stopping by!

I woke up with soreness in my legs today (no surprise), abs and... traps? What the... I guess the standing calf machine did some damage yesterday. I also woke up late, but see, that's what I like about the 20 Minute Aerobic Solution, you ain't got NO EXCUSES ... it's only 20 minutes!

So I did it. On a Spinning Bike. With my iPod this time. Goodstuff.

NOTES/COMMENTS:

My calves hurt when I got on the bike. Then, as the blood started flowing pain went away, but it is back, of course. It was a good workout. I do this sort of in my back yard, and it was kinda chilli today, but at the end of the workout I was pouring sweat like crazy.

NUTRITION LOG:

Here's my lunch box for today... If anything changes slightly along the way I'll edit it tonite or tomorrow.

Meal 1 (pre cardio)
    6:45 a.m.

1 scoop of whey
    5 oz. of water

Meal 2 (post cardio)
    7: 20 a.m.

1 1/2 scoop of whey
    5 oz. of skim milk

Meal 3

1 tiny apple

Meal 4

Black beanz (1 portion)

Meal 5

Small can of tuna
    1 slice of whole wheat bread
    1 piece of fruit (mango!)

Meal 6

1 Myoplex Bar

Meal 7 (prebed)

1/4 cup of yogurt
    1/2 Leanbody Protein Bar

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

Fatburners:

Multi:

EFAs:

Prebed:

BCAA's (2 caps)

FINAL THOUGHT:

LOL. Today was "free pancakes b-fast" at the office. I just got back. People were looking at me funny while I was enjoying my egg-white omelet breakfast burrito.

I felt better in this second cardio session than I did on the first one. My hope is to improve my cardiovascular strenght and of course... shed some fat. I leave you with a quote I stole from dvsness journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post165798961

"Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is."

~Vince Lombardi

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

Exclamation New Roadblock - Prescription Skin Treatment

Hello... anybody?

Well, couldn't go to the gym first thing in the morning (5:30 a.m.), which is my favorite time of the day to go. Should I skip today's workout? NO WAY, JoSe?!

I got my gym bag here with me and I'll go to the gym right after work. Working out at evenings kinda suck... too crowded, energy levels are not that high, etc. But hey, at least is Friday.

I'll log the workout when I get home.

I said in my opening post that a lot of things can happen in 12 weeks, well, one thing just happened. I was prescribed with a medication called (Ro)Accutane, to treat the acne breakouts in my back (I'm friggin' 27... not in puberty anymore). I've fought that for years and nothing has worked permanently. This does and for good.

Treatment goes for about 5 months. Around 2 pills a day. Side effects? You bet. The usual: dryness of lips, skin, eyes and nose. The unusual: muscle/bone fatigue (rare cases). We'll see how I feel during and after my workouts. There are other possible side effects, that are not typical. You can read about them online.

As far as this workout program goes, I must suspend my multivitamin intake, for it contains Vitamin A, and this medication derivates from vit. A, so that kind of overload ain't good at all. No multi for me 'till the treatment is over.

Everything else remains the same. (Actually, good nutrition is great during this treatment, because some of the fat cells from the epidermis go into the bloodstream, causing a possible -but controllable- raise on cholesterol).

Another typical side effect is a temporary breakout. I promise not to post progress pictures if I get one of those. :P

Ok, that's it for now.

Thanks for stopping by!

Thumbs up Day 5 - Upper Body

Day 5 - Upper Body

Well, as I said in the previous post, I woke up really late today so I couldn't workout first thing in the morning. The only options were to hit the gym after work... or go home.

Was I to miss a workout? Not in my shift!

Let's punch some numbers... (in red, whenever I upped weight).

Chest

Dumbbell Bench Press
    12 x 50
    10 x 60
    8 x 70
    6 x 90

-Pump set-
    12 x 70 - Dumbbell Bench Press
    12 x 50 - Dumbbell Flys

Shoulders

Military Press
    12 x 30
    10 x 40
    8 x 50
    6 x 60

-Pump set-
    12 x 50 - Military Press
    12 x 20 - Lateral raises

Back

Pull-downs
    12 x 60
    10 x 70
    8 x 80
    6 x 90

-Pump set-
    12 x 75 - Pull-downs
    12 x 35 - Dumbbell rows

Triceps

12 x 20
    10 x 25
    8 x 30
    6 x 35

-Pump set-
    12 x 30 - Tricep Extension
    12 x 30 - French Press

Biceps

Seated Dumbbell Curls
    12 x 20
    10 x 30
    8 x 40
    6 x 50

-Pump set-
    12 x 40 -- Dumbbell Curls
    12 x 30 -- Hammers

Abs

Ab Crunches
    35 x 4

-Pump set-
    35 x 1 -- Ab Crunches
    35 x 1 -- Hammers

NOTES/COMMENTS:

Chest is one of my strongest body parts. I'm still not feeling as challenged as I probably should there, but I wanna take it a bit slow and not burn out or plateau right away.

I think I sacrificed a little form in the very last biceps excercise (hammers).

Shoulders were really challenging!

Since I had a little extra time for working PM, I did the Ab Training.

NUTRITION LOG:

Meal 1
    6:30 a.m.

1/2 Lean Body Protein Bar

Meal 2
    9: 15 a.m.

1 small kiwi

Meal 3
    12:30 a.m.

Black Beans (1 portion)

Meal 4
    4:30 p.m.

Small can of tuna

Meal 5

2 scoops of whey
    6 oz. of distilled water

Meal 6

Black Beans (1 portion)
    A lil' bit of cottage cheese... couldn't help it

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

Pre workout:
    BCAA's (2 caps)

Post workout:
    BCAA's (2 caps)

Fatburners: GNC's Cut 25 (2 caps / 1 before breakfast and 1 before lunch)

Multi: No multi

EFAs: 1 cap of flaxseed (1000 mg) with lunch

Prebed: BCAA's (2 caps)

FINAL THOUGHT:

I was feeling really bad today... low energy levels, little motivation, no spirit, you know? But everything changed once I hit the gym I'm feeling great now. I'm sure I'll have a good night sleep! It pays off not to miss workouts.

When the world says, "Give up,"
    Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

~Unknown

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.
    Last edited by audioescape; 05-16-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Day 6 - HIIT Cardio

Day 6 - HIIT Cardio

What's going on, silent lurkers?

I had to go to the hospital to get some blood tests, so I had to postpone eating 'till 10:30 a.m.

Regarding HIIT, legs ae still sore from Leg Day and the last HIIT session. However, the cardio session was great.

NUTRITION LOG:

Today's my mum's birthday, so we'll be going for dinner with her. I don't know where we'll be eating tonight, but I'm sure I'll find something that aligns with my diet. Only 5 meals today, I started eating too late in the day. :O

Meal 1 (pre cardio)
    10:30 a.m.

1/2 cup of natural yogurt (no fat)

Meal 2 (post cardio)
    1: 00 p.m.

1 1/2 scoops of whey
    5 oz. of skim milk

Meal 3

1 Lean Body Protein Bar

Meal 4

1 MRM Response Bar (200 cals!)

Meal 5
    9:00 p.m.

Unknown yet... :P

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

Fatburners: GNC's Cut 25 (2 caps / 1 before breakfast and 1 before lunch)

Multi: None

EFAs: 1 cap of flaxseed (1000 mg) w/ breakfast

FINAL THOUGHT:

This wraps up this week of training. Tomorrow is my first day off. Because of my skin treatment, I won't be indulgin as much as I would normally. Maybe a cup of Haggen Dasz ice cream, here and there.

I was putting off my weekly Guinness for Sunday... but... no alcohol during my tratment. So, I'll drink it in 5 months. :P

The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong won't. ~Henry Ward Beecher

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

Talking

Day 7 - DAY OFF

What up, what up?

I just have a couple of minutes to post, 'cause GF is calling long distance at 9. Since it was my day off from working out... well... I didn't work out.

NUTRITION LOG:

Today was my first day off of this training. I ate a bunch of "unallowed" stuff, but not in large quantities. I kinda hold back on some stuff because of my skin treatment. But I still felt this urge to eat, eat, eat. Not binge, just wanted to try different flavors, I guess.

Meal 1
    6:30 a.m.

1/2 cup of yogurt
    1/2 cup of flax-oats blend
    1 scoop of whey on 5 oz of skim milk

Meal 2
    9: 00 a.m.

Scrambled eggs (no egg whites, the whole shabang )
    Bread
    4 small oreo cookies
    Coffee

Meal 3
    1:00 p.m.

Shrimp Creole with white rice

Meal 4

4 small oreo cookies
    8 oz. of skim milk

Meal 5
    7:30 p.m.

Mexican Bean Soup
    1/2 cup of Chocolate Gelato (Italian Ice Cream)

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

No supps. Spent the whole day out working (what a Sunday).

FINAL THOUGHT:

Last night, btw, we went to an Italian restaurant for mum's b-day. Not a lot of options. I ate tuna carpaccio (delicious) and a couple of capresce foccacias (they weren't big). It was as well as I could do. Drank bottled water. I wanted som VINO so bad... but can't do alcohol with the pills I'm takin'.

This wraps up week one.

Alright. I'm almost ready to go to bed and start a new week. I'l post some progress pics tomorrow or Tuesday. Don't think I'll have a huge progress, yet, but hey, we're starting off. Motivation's high.

Thanks for reading!

No quote today. (Hey! It's my day off, c'mon).

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

Post Week 2 - Day 8 - Lower Body

Week 2

Day 8 - Lower Body

What is up!?! No showing no love, yet? Alright. I'll keep posting 'till someone does (and afterwards)

Man, I woke up SO tired today. Not sore, or nothing, just sleepy. I had to brew a pot of coffee and drink some preWO to wake up! I didn't performed as well as I liked, but it wasn't all that bad...

Quads

Dumbbell Squats
    12 x 60
    10 x 70
    8 x 80
    6 x 90

-Pump set-
    12 x 80 - Dumbbell Squats
    12 x 72.5 - Leg Extensions

Hamstrings

Dumbbell Deadlifts
    12 x 60
    10 x 70
    8 x 80
    6 x 90

-Pump set-
    12 x 72.5 - Lying Leg Curls

Calves

Standing Calf Raise
    20 x 50
    15 x 60
    12 x 70
    10 x 80

-Pump set-
    20 x 70 - Standing Calf Raise
    20 x 60 - Standing Dumbbell Calf Raise

Abs

Ab Crunches
    40 x 4

-Pump set-
    40 x 1 - Ab Crunches
    40 x 1 - Leg Raises

Forearms

Barbell Wrist Curls
    20 x 10
    15 x 20
    12 x 30
    10 x 35

-Pump set-
    15 x 20 -- Barbell Wrist Curls
    15 x 20 -- Reverse Barbell Curls

NOTES/COMMENTS:

Almost died working the quads. Don't know why, but they were kinda weak today. Very challenging (specially the last 4 reps of the pump-set). Hamstrings were alright. I love deadlifts. My calves, as I said before, are sucha a weak spot, man! They hurt like crazy, and also, my feet hurt when I'm working them.

NUTRITION LOG:

Meal 1 5:00 a.m. (pre workout)
    1 scoop of whey
    5 oz. of skim milk
    Mug of coffee

Meal 2 7: 00 a.m. (post workout)
    2 scoops of whey
    5 oz. of distilled water

Meal 3 9:30 a.m.

Meal 4 12:30 p.m.
    White sea bass (1 portion)
    Black beanz (1 portion)

Meal 5 4:00 p.m.
    Small can of tuna
    1 fruit portion (mango!)

Meal 6 7:00 p.m.
    Tuna salad
    Black beans (1 portion)

Meal 7 (prebed) 9:30 p.m.
    1/4 cup of yogurt

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

I just realized I have a bottle of TwinLab Ripped Fuel 5x that expires in June, so I better down it! GNC's Cut 25 expires in August, so I'll make the switch starting today.

Pre workout:
    BCAA's (2 caps)

Post workout:
    BCAA's (2 caps)

Fatburners: TwinLab's Ripped Fuel 5x (2 caps)

Prebed: BCAAs (2 caps)

FINAL THOUGHT:

And that's it for now. I'll try to post some progress pics later on. Thanks for stopping by.

The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places.

~Unknown

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

Post Day 9 - HIIT Cardio

Day 9 - HIIT Cardio

Woke up late again... and SO sleepy. I don't know how some folks do about sleeping 3 hours and be pumped and full of energy like nothing happened the next morning (my GF's like that). I can't do that. I need my 7-8 hours of sleep, thank you very much.

I stayed a little late 'cause 'Fight Club' was playing on Tv...

But anyways, I still did my HIIT Cardio. I had to down a mug of strong coffee before, though. It went fine. I think my endurance is improving slowly. I still get drained around half way through the training. But I guess that's normal since I'm starting.

What I'm struggling with right now is not drop my level too much when I go from a 9 to a 6.

NUTRITION LOG:

The usual cardio day menu...

Meal 1: (pre cardio) 6:30 a.m.
    1 scoops of whey
    6 oz. of water

Meal 2: (post cardio) 7: 20 a.m.
    1 1/2 scoops of whey
    5 oz. of skim milk

Meal 3: 9:30 a.m.
    2 tbsp of natty yogurt

Meal 4: 12:30 p.m.
    Grilled Chick'n breast (1 portion)
    Green salad
    Black beanz

Meal 5: 4:15 p.m.
    1 small can of tuna
    1 portion of fruit (mangooo)

Meal 6: 6:45 p.m.
    1 Lean Body Protein Bar

Meal 7: 9:30 p.m.
    1/2 cup of oats/flax blend
    1/4 cup of yogurt

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

Fatburners: Twinlab's Ripped Fuel (2 caps with food)
    EFAs: 1 cap of flaxseed (1000 mg) w/ food

FINAL THOUGHT:

That's it for today. Looking forward for tomorrow's Upper Body Workout. Thanks for stopping by!!!

Here's the quote of the day,

Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.

~Author Unknown

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.
    Last edited by audioescape; 05-20-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Post Progress Pics just In - Week 1

Progress Pictures

Week 1

Hey, what's going on? I had to go and get some bloodtests today before work. I had to fast, so I couldn't workout. I'll hit the gym after work. (I don't dig it, but what gotta do what you gotta do). I'll log my workout when I get back from the gym.

I finally took the Week 1 Pics. Without further a due ...

Not much have changed in one week (Just less hair. ). I'm sure that's normal.

Ok, that's it for now. I'll update on workouts/meals in a few hours.

-audioescape.

Thumbs up Day 10 - Upper Body

Day 10 - Upper Body

Hi there. As promised, here you have the numbers for today...

Chest

Dumbbell Bench Press
    12 x 60
    10 x 70
    8 x 90
    6 x 100

-Pump set-
    12 x 80 - Dumbbell Bench Press
    12 x 60 - Dumbbell Flys

Shoulders

Military Press
    12 x 30
    10 x 50
    8 x 60
    6 x 70

-Pump set-
    8 x 60 - Military Press ##INCREASED WEIGHT BUT FAILED##
    12 x 30 - Lateral raises

Back

Pull-downs
    12 x 60
    10 x 70
    8 x 80
    6 x 90

-Pump set-
    12 x 80 - Pull-downs
    12 x 35 - Dumbbell rows

Triceps

12 x 25
    10 x 30
    8 x 35
    6 x 40

-Pump set-
    12 x 35 - Tricep Extension
    12 x 30 - French Press

Biceps

Seated Dumbbell Curls
    12 x 20
    10 x 30
    8 x 40
    6 x 50

-Pump set-
    12 x 30 -- Dumbbell Curls ##decreased weight##
    8 x 40 -- Hammers ##FAILED##

Traps

Shrugs
    20 x 40
    15 x 50
    12 x 70
    10 x 100

-Pump set-
    20 x 30 - Shrugs
    20 x 30 - Lat Raises

Abs

Ab Crunches
    40 x 4

-Pump set-
    40 x 1 -- Ab Crunches
    40 x 1 -- Hammers

NOTES/COMMENTS:

I enjoyed today's workout very much. I had to increase some weights I had not planned to, just because the gym was crowded and the dumbbells I needed were either taken or just misplaced all over the place. I go to a big gym, there's plenty of space, and today it was a big mess.

The one excercise I failed was biceps. For some reason, my larger bicep (left) is always the first one to give out.

One of the cool things of working out after work is that there's no hurry. Since I wasn't in my usual morning rush, I worked out my traps and my abs.

NUTRITION LOG:

They had cake at the office today... one of the employees is leaving, so they had the whole goodbye cake and all. It looked good. I just watched it. As I said, I had to go to get blood tests in the morning, so I didn't have breakfast until 9.30 a.m. Man was I hungry...

Meal 1: 9:30 a.m.
    2 tbsp of natty yogurt
    1/2 portion of pineapple

Meal 2: 12:30 p.m.
    Lean beef chili (about 1 1/2 portion... carbs and protein all in one. Gotta love it)
    Green salad

Meal 4: 4:45 p.m. (pre workout???)
    1 1/2 MRM Response bars (300 cals)

Meal 4: 8:00 p.m. (post workout!)
    1 1/2 scoops of whey
    6 oz. of distilled water

Meal 5: 9:00 p.m.
    Lean beef chili (1 portion... so good!)
    1/4 cups of cottage cheese
    Small salad

Meal 6
    11:00 p.m.
    1/4 cup of yogurt

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

Pre workout:
    BCAA's (2 caps)
    Post workout:
    BCAA's (2 caps)
    Fatburners: TwinLab Ripped Fuel 5x (2 caps)

FINAL THOUGHT:

Some dude came up to me and said: "are you a trainer?" And I'm like... "well, no, why?" "Because you're writing down everything you do!" And I'm thinkin', "isn't that what everyone's suppose to do?"

I remember once, in other gym, my GF and I were working out and logging our progress, and some lady asked us if we were Phy. Ed. teachers. I guess many people go "by feel" when they hit the weights...

Anyways, I'm not saying one cannot make progress without loggin your workouts, but man, it helps me a lot! With so many stuff in my mind, I wouldn't be able to remember what I did last time and what I'm I supposed to do next, if it wasn't for a piece of paper telling me so.

Ok, that's it for today. I really appreciate you taking some time to read (some of) this. Here's a quote from the great FDR:

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

on progress pics...

Hey, I have pictures disabled in my User Panel Options (don't wanna run into inappropiate content), so I hadn't checked how my progress pics came out. They ain't good. Too small!

I'll get that fixed tomorrow (I have the pics in other computer).

Alright, off to get some rest now.

Good afternoon, good evening and good night.
    Last edited by audioescape; 05-21-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Smile Day 11 - HIIT Cardio

Day 11 - HIIT Cardio

Woke up late again!!!! What's late? Well, I have to be at work by 8:00 a.m., and my carpool buddy comes to get me at 7:40. If I wake up at 6:00 a.m. on cardio days I'm more than fine. I woke up today at 6:40. And I was tired for last evening's workout.

But I did my cardio anyways. (One of the beauties of having your bike right across the hallway... no excuses!). I almost postponed it for tonight, but I usually get home by 8:30 on Thrusdays... too late for cardio.

As far as the training itself, I think I was hitting my "active recovery intervals" (aka level 6) better than last time, when I felt I was droping from a 9 to a 4 or a 3. I think active recovery is one of the keys when it comes to HIIT, and specifically, the 20 Minute Aerobic Solution, as seen on TV!

NUTRITION LOG:

NOT the usual cardio day menu... I ran out of eggs for my usual breakfast omelet burrito. (Have you noticed I never get bored? I eat pretty much the same stuff all the time... ). So I had to eat a D-Tour Bar for breakfast. Man, D-Tour bars taste delicious. It's like a candy bar. I felt like when I was a kid and had this sort of things early in a Saturday morning.

Meal 1: (pre cardio) 6:45 a.m.
    1 scoops of whey
    6 oz. of water

Meal 2: (post cardio) 7: 15 a.m.
    1 1/2 scoops of whey
    5 oz. of skim milk

1 D-Tour Bar (340 cals).

White Sea Bass (1 portion)
    Green salad
    Black beanz

1 small can of tuna
    1 portion of fruit (pineapple)

1 D-Tour Bar (too much of a good thing?)

Meal 7: 9:30 p.m.
    1/4 cup of yogurt

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

FINAL THOUGHT:

That wraps it up for the day. I'll try to get the progress pics fixed and repost them in the course of the day.

Here's a nice quote I love, and I know you'll love to:

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.

~Josh Billings

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

Thumbs down Day 12 - Lower Body

Day 12 - Lower Body

Day 12 already!? Man, time flies! I'm done for week two as far as weight training is concerned. Last time I gave BFL a shot, some visible results started kicking in after week 3 and on. Today's workout wasn't as good as I would have like it to be. More on that in the "note/comments" section. Now let's punch some numbers...

Quads

Dumbbell Squats
    12 x 60
    10 x 70
    8 x 80
    6 x 90
    -Pump set-
    12 x 75 - Leg Extensions

Hamstrings

Dumbbell Deadlifts
    12 x 60
    10 x 70
    8 x 80
    6 x 90
    -Pump set-
    12 x 75 - Lying Leg Curls

Calves

Standing Calf Raise
    20 x 55
    15 x 65
    12 x 75
    10 x 85
    -Pump set-
    20 x 75 - Standing Calf Raise #kinda had to pause halfway through -- feet hurt like crazy##
    20 x 60 - Standing Dumbbell Calf Raise

Abs

Ab Crunches
    40 x 4
    -Pump set-
    40 x 1 - Ab Crunches
    40 x 1 - Leg Raises

Forearms

Barbell Wrist Curls
    20 x 15
    15 x 25
    12 x 35
    10 x 40
    -Pump set-
    15 x 20 -- Barbell Wrist Curls
    20 x 20 -- Reverse Barbell Curls

NOTES/COMMENTS:

I didn't feel I went 100% today. Some factores contributed to that. For example, some dudes were using the leg extension machine, right when I was about to do my pump set, so when I finished the last squat, I still had to go and set up the machine real quick to fit my height and all.

As far as the quads in general, I felt kinda weak, BUT I didn't feel I worked them all the way. It was weird. I might drop a little weight next time and see how it goes. A similar thing happened with Hamstrings, only in this case, I could have gone higher on weight, but I wanna take it slowly. I know the lower back is a very sensitive area to overtraining. Abs were kinda... meh... and I extenuated my forearms, and I don't think in a good way, 'cause my right wrist hurt a little.

NUTRITION LOG:

My GF's parents are in town (they travel a lot) and tye invited me for dinner at their house. Fortunately, they eat pretty clean. Dad's a competitive cyclist. There's always chicken, salad, veggies and stuff like that around. That'd be meal #6. I'll keep you posted.

Meal 1: 5:00 a.m. (pre workout)
    1 1/2 scoops of whey
    5 oz. of skim milk

Meal 2: 7: 00 a.m. (post workout)
    2 scoops of whey
    5 oz. of distilled water

Marlin (1 portion)
    Small Green salad with olive oil
    Pasta w/ natty red sauce (1 portion)

Meal 5: 4:00 p.m.
    3/4 of a Myoplex Mass Gain Support Bar (quite a name)
    1 fruit portion (mango!)

Meal 6: 7:00 p.m.
    Dinner at my GF's parents house... contents... unknown.

Meal 7: (prebed) 9:30 p.m.
    1/4 cup of yogurt

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

I just realized I have a bottle of TwinLab Ripped Fuel 5x that expires in June, so I better down it! GNC's Cut 25 expires in August, so I'll make the switch starting today.

Pre workout:
    BCAA's (2 caps)
    Post workout:
    BCAA's (2 caps)
    Prebed: BCAAs (2 caps)

FINAL THOUGHT:

Ever had one of those days you feel you didn't quite hit the jackpot? Well that's me today. But no worries. I'm sure I'll do better next time. The most important thing is keep on trying. Week 2 is almost done, and I feel fine. The good stuff is just starting out.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.

~Japanese Proverb

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

Post Blood tests results just in...

Blood Test Results...

Hi again. As I posted somewhere up there (or down, if you're reading this at blog.bb.com), one week ago I started a skin treatment call Accutane (pills) - I suffer from moderate-to-bad acne in my back and I wanna get rid of it for good. I should have taken this blood tests before starting, but what the hey... my dermatologist didn't advise me to until I already started chuggin' those bad boys.

Accutane can have an effect on cholesterol levels (by raising them) and it taxes the liver quite strongly. I can see the effects already, my bilirrubin levels and on the high end of the spectrum (nothing to worry about, though. That's normal during this treatment). It is just a matter of managing the dose well (which my doc will do as we progress on the treatment).

I'm really surprised with my cholesterol levels...

I have a total blood cholesterol of 136 mg/dL (miligrams per deciLiter), while minimum reference is 140 (maximum being 200). Meaning I'm below the minimum. Is it that a bad thing? Any MDs in the house? Well, I'll ask my doctor, anyways. As far as "bad" cholesterol, I'm in the lower end of the spectrum, while when it comes to the "good" one, I'm doing fairly OK:

- "Good" cholesterol (HDL): 65 mg/dL (min: 35 / max: 80)
    - "Bad" cholesterol (LDL): 53 mg/dL (min: 50 / max: 130)
    - "Who the heck knows what this is" cholesterol (VLDL): 14 mg/dL (min: 8 / max: 50).

So, I know this isn't an Accutane Log, but I figured I'd post this anyways.

I'll check with my doctor regarding the supps I'm taking, just to make sure they don't conflict with my treatment.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by audioescape; 05-24-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Red face random comment... Saturday...

Morning!

Man, Saturdays are different for so many reasons... you don't get to go to work (at least I don't), you get to wake up a little later (at least I do), and you lose all your drive to workout... (at lest I do ).

I woke up felling like someone beat me up with a stick. Not muscle soreness, just some back/neck pain like when you don't get a good night sleep. I might need to get a new pillow.

Also, since Saturdays are "officially" the weekend, an urge to eat like it was my cheat day arises. Is a day with less structure, so it takes actually more effort to stick to the diet. (No worries, tho, I haven't cheated )

Since my energy levels were kinda low today, I drank some coffee, ate half a small banana and some whey in skim milk. Feeling better now. I'll do my cardio session in a few minutes. After that, I'll be working all day in my laptop at home (I'm so much productive when I'm not tied up to a desk wearing a business casual attire ).

Stay in tune. I'll post the official Day 13 thread, in a little bit.
    Last edited by audioescape; 05-24-2008 at 08:38 AM.

Post Day 13 - HIIT Cardio

Day 13 - HIIT Cardio

Feeling much, much better now that I did my workout. I was feeling lazy... no energy, you know how it is. But I feel better now. As far as the training goes, I had problems breathing in some of my level 9s. Some time I get allergies, so that makes breathing hard. It's been humid lately. That's why, in my very last 10, I could't breath well and I started gasping like crazy. So I lowered the intensity around :40.

Other than that, it went pretty well. For those of you who don't remember how the 20 Minute Aerobic Solution works, it is just a series of intervals, based on personal intensity levels that you switch as you go along.

0:00 - 1:00 - level 5
    1:00 - 2:00 - level 5
    2:00 - 3:00 - level 6
    3:00 - 4:00 - level 7
    4:00 - 5:00 - level 8
    5:00 - 6:00 - level 9
    6:00 - 7:00 - level 6
    7:00 - 8:00 - level 7
    8:00 - 9:00 - level 8
    9:00 - 10:00 - level 9
    10:00 - 11:00 - level 6 ... and so forth...

I usually have trouble going from 9 to 6, although I did pretty well today. The thing is, when it's time to move up to 7, I still don't feel fully recovered, but I think that's part of the process, as my endurance improves with time.

NUTRITION LOG:

Meal 1: (sort of cardio) 9:15 a.m.
    1 1/2 scoops of whey
    6 oz. of skim milk
    1/2 small banana

Meal 2: (post cardio) 11: 50 a.m.
    1 1/2 scoops of whey
    6 oz. of skim milk

Meal 3: 2:30 a.m.
    Omelet (3 egg whites / 2 egg yolks... hey it's Saturday!)

Meal 4: 5:30 p.m.
    Small can of tuna
    2 slices of "light" bread

Meal 5: 8:30 p.m.
    1 Detour Bar

Meal 7: 10:45 p.m.
    1/4 cup of yogurt

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

FINAL THOUGHT:

That wraps up WEEK 2, as far as training goes. Still have a day-off to go. I'll post my cheat meal(s) tomorrow.

[read this in an American Airlines flight attendant tone]:

"Thank you for visiting audioescape's quest for the single % body fat digit. We understand you have other options of logs to visit, so we appreciate you reading us. On behalf of al the audioescape's transformation crew, have a nice day here at [insert city], or wherever your final destination will be."

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

Cool Day 14 - Free Day

Day 14 - FREE DAY

Yay! Day 14 is here... Week 2 is over!

It is Sunday and I had to wake up super early (6:00 a.m.) because I went to do some voluntary work at a local church. Because of that, I had a big breakfast. However, I wasn't aware that they'd give us breakfast at the church a few hours later.

So I had two breakfasts. (about 4 hours apart, though). Whole eggs... bread... juice... you know how it is. Absolutely Blasphemous.

No workout today, either.

I love Dr. Hussman's take on "free days"...

...the free day may help counter the risk that your body senses a fasting state. Metabolically, you're trying to convince your body that it doesn't have to lower its metabolism, shed muscle, or defend its fat stores in response to the change in its "environment". You don't need a huge number of extra calories to do that. It's good if your free meals make you feel warm, and it's great if you actually break a light sweat. The free day gives you something to look forward to, keeps your body "confused", and gives you a chance to have that pizza and ice cream you've been eyeing all week, but don't go way overboard.

-John P. Hussman, Ph.D.
    For me... a free day is an opportunity to eat similarly to everyone else. You know what I mean. Normal people don't measure portions, pick from a list of authorized foods, count calories, read labels... etc.

I know, I know... we are not normal people. We are into fitness. (I won't say "we are bodybuilders" 'cause I'm ages away to be even close to that title), So, you see... Sundays are my chance to hang out with the pack for a little while.

This evening I'll go to my GF's parents house. We'll watch some sports and maybe eat some mexican food (I love spicy food). Before that I have a business meeting at 2.30 (yeah... on a Sunday ). I might get a little something there with my coffee... or not.

I don't know what else I'll be eating, but even though is my free day, I won't go crazy or nothing. You don't have to worry about that.

NUTRITION LOG:

Not posted.

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

No supps. I'm giving my liver a break today...

FINAL THOUGHT:

Alrighty! That's it for week 2. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's workout (upper body). I'll post week 2's pics tomorrow evening. Today's quote belongs to Dr. Hussman... it ain't inspirational, but very informative. If you missed it, scroll up!

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

quick post...

Sup there?

I usually write on this thing earlier than this, but I left my stats for the day at home. So I'll update them later this evening. Overall, it was an OK workout. I didn't feel like hitting my 10s, other than in the CHEST workout.

My eyes were absolutely DRY because of the Accutane (typical reaction), so my contacts got all dry also, I barely could see at the gym. I think that may have had some sort of effect on my mood. I'm wearing my glasses, now. ALSO... It was raining like crazy today (the kinda day you just wanna sleep in).

Anyways, you'll see this thread bumped with the complete info of the day later on the day.

Thanks for stopping by.

Post Week 3 - Day 15 - Upper Body

Week 3

Day 10 - Upper Body

What is up!? Week 3 is starting, that is up. Day 15 already. And as promised, here you have the numbers for today... (extra comments below).

Chest

Dumbbell Bench Press
    12 x 70
    10 x 90
    8 x 100
    6 x 110
    -Pump set-
    12 x 90 - Dumbbell Bench Press
    12 x 50 - Dumbbell Flys

Shoulders

Military Press
    12 x 30
    10 x 50
    8 x 60
    6 x 80
    -Pump set-
    12 x 60 - Military Press
    12 x 30 - Lateral raises

Back

Pull-downs
    12 x 60
    10 x 70
    8 x 80
    6 x 95
    -Pump set-
    12 x 85 - Pull-downs
    12 x 35 - Dumbbell rows

Triceps

12 x 25
    10 x 30
    8 x 35
    6 x 40
    -Pump set-
    8 x 40 - French Press ##INCREASED WEIGHT BUT FAILED##

Biceps

Seated Dumbbell Curls
    12 x 20
    10 x 30
    8 x 40
    6 x 60

-Pump set-
    12 x 40 -- Dumbbell Curls
    12 x 30 -- Hammers

NOTES/COMMENTS:

It was raining today by the time the clock started buzzing... I wanted so badly to stay under the covers, but that made this very workout so much more valuable to me. However, as I said in the previous post, I didn't feel I was hitting my high points all the time. But I believe that's normal. Even though we strive for the best, we not always achieve it.

The key here is try and keep trying.

Chest was the best today! My shoulders felt sort of weak, though.

NUTRITION LOG:

I haven't been feeling very hungry today. It may have something to do with the Accutane. Actually, I had my last meal almost 3 hours ago and I'm not feeling hungry. But I'll get something anyways. Here's the menu...

Meal 1: 5:15 a.m.
    2 scoops of whey
    6 oz. of skim milk

Meal 2: 7:00 a.m.
    2 scoops of whey
    5 oz. of water

3 tbsp of natty yogurt
    1 slice pineapple

Chicken salad
    Black beans (1 portion)

Meal 5: 4:45 p.m. (pre workout???)
    1 portion of tuna in water

Meal 6: 7:30 p.m. (post workout!)
    Chicken salad wrap

Meal 5: 10:00 p.m.
    1/4 cup of yogurt

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

Pre workout:
    BCAA's (2 caps)
    Post workout:
    BCAA's (2 caps)
    Prebed:
    BCAA's (2 caps)

FINAL THOUGHT:

Alright! That's if for today. I just took some week-2 pictures, but I can't find the USB cable to transfer them to the computer. So, I'll post them tomorrow.

Awesome quote for today...

Success will never be a big step in the future, success is a small step taken just now.

~Jonatan M?rtensson

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

Day 16 - HIIT Cardio

Day 16 - HIIT Cardio

Bunch o' problems hindered my performance today. I woke up feeling well and rested, but as I was pedaling and hitting my high points, I started running out of air. You know, my allergies. My right nostril was clogged, and the other one wasn't doing good either.

You know, the key for cardio ... aerobic exercise... is in a word: oxygen. I couldn't get enough oxygen to support my workout, and that got me all p-ssed off! But I finished it anyways. I'm thinking of getting some claritin or something on those lines, and see if it helps.

Eyes are gettin' dry like nobody's business. I think Accutane is to blame.

Afterwards I did some ab crunches (obliques).

NUTRITION LOG:

Meal 1: (pre cardio) 6:15 a.m.
    1 1/2 scoops of whey
    6 oz. of water

Meal 2: (post cardio) 7:10 a.m.
    1 1/2 scoops of whey
    6 oz. of skim milk

Omelet (3 egg whites / 1 egg yolks)
    Whole wheat tortilla

Chicken Salad
    Black beans

Meal 5: 4:30 p.m.
    1 small can of tuna

Meal 6: 7:00 p.m.
    1 Lean body Gold protein bar

Meal 7: 9:30 p.m. (pre bed)
    1/2 cup of flax/oats blend (thats 85% flax, 15% oats)
    1/4 cup of light yogurt

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

Prebed: BCAA's (2 caps) / L-Glutamine (1 cap)

FINAL THOUGHT:

Ok, so this was Day 16. I don't feel great today. I don't think I succeded in my workout... BUT! I'll keep pressing on and trying until I get there. Here's some motivational words for ya...

Fall seven times, stand up eight.

~Japanese Proverb
    I just uploaded week2's pictures to the computer. I'll be posting them in a little while.

Thanks for visiting!

-audioescape.

Cool just in! ... progress pics / Week 2!

Week 2 - Progress Pictures

Alright! As promised, here you have some Week 2 progress pics.

WEEK 2

Comparison...

Man, I was checking the starting pictures, and brother... I didn't realize I was so skinny. No wonder my starting BF read 14%-ish. Talk about distorted body image. LOL. In the first pic it really seems that I need to be bulking or something. But if you notice, in the other pics there's some progress being made on body composition. It's not a HUGE difference, but it is something.

Start --------------------- Week 1 --------------- Week 2

Thanks for visiting and see you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

Red face not workout yet... but...

Hi folks!

Today it was raining by the time I woke up. But I'm not talking "singin' in the rain" rain (although it was funny how they played that song on the radio on my way to work). It was more like "the-perfect-storm" rain. ... well, not quite, but it was intense.

And I was so lazy ...I stayed under the covers... couldn't help it...

No worries, though. I got my gym bag and I'll do my workout session after work. I'll post the stats for that when I get home.

Thanks for stopping by.

Thumbs up Day 17 - Lower Body

Day 17 - Lower Body

What is up, fellow trainees!?

As I stated in my previous post, I went to the gym right after work... and I feel GREAT now. Working out has that, you know. It makes you feel great like few things can. Enough poetry. Here's some numbers (be sure to check comments below).

Quads

Dumbbell Squats
    12 x 60
    10 x 70
    8 x 80
    6 x 90
    -Pump set-
    12 x 90 - Leg Extensions

Hamstrings

Dumbbell Deadlifts
    12 x 60
    10 x 70
    8 x 80
    6 x 90
    -Pump set-
    12 x 90 - Lying Leg Curls

Calves

Standing Calf Raise
    20 x 70
    15 x 80
    12 x 90
    10 x 110
    -Pump set-
    20 x 80 - Standing Calf Raise
    20 x 70 - Standing Dumbbell Calf Raise

Abs

Ab Crunches
    40 x 4
    -Pump set-
    40 x 1 - Ab Crunches
    45 x 1 - Leg Raises

Forearms

Barbell Wrist Curls
    20 x 25
    15 x 30
    12 x 35
    10 x 40
    -Pump set-
    15 x 25 -- Barbell Wrist Curls
    25 x 20 -- Reverse Barbell Curls

NOTES/COMMENTS:

YES!!! This workout felt like a workout should feel! I was hitting my high points everywhere, my legs where wobbling after squats, I pushed myself as much as I could... by the moment I did calves, they were already a little sore from the previous exercises. lol.

Talking about calves, I didn't calculate the weights right and I put too much darn weight on every set! lol. But what the hey, my sad tiny calves are weak and they need some challenges and stimuli to grow.

Abs went great and I left my forearms at the gym... mad they hurt!

Overall, an awesome workout. Very empowering and motivating.

NUTRITION LOG:

Meal 1: 7:00 a.m. (pre workout)
    1 1/2 scoops of whey
    5 oz. of skim milk

Meal 2: 9: 30 a.m. (post workout)

Meal 3: 12:30 p.m.
    Chicken salad
    Beans

Meal 4: 4:45 p.m. (pre workout, sort of speak)
    1 Lean Body Gold Protein Bar

Meal 5: 8:00 p.m. (definitely post workout)
    2 scoops of whey
    5 oz. of distilled water

Meal 6: 10:00 p.m.
    1/4 cup of yogurt

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

Since it is kinda late and I just took BCCAs/Glutamine a minute ago, I don't think I'm taking them prebed today.

Pre workout:
    BCAA's (2 caps)
    L-Glutamine (2 cap, 1000 mg)
    Post workout:
    BCAA's (2 caps)
    Prebed: none.

FINAL THOUGHT:

As I said, it was a great workout. Tomorrow's cardio, now, I'm gonna do a little experiment... don't stone me over this one... FASTED CARDIO...

(ENTER: VIOLINS FROM Alfred Hitchcock's "PSYCHO")

Now, I'd never EVER lift weights on an empty stomach, but I think I'll try some cardio with just a good amount of water (I always drink two glasses of water right after waking up... first thing in the morning, before anything else), and a BCAA/L-glutamine combo.

I'll try it for a week and I'll keep y'all posted.

Oh by the way, this is the what... 23rd post? 17 days and no replies???????

C'mon people... show some love.

Great minds have purposes, others have wishes.

~Washington Irving

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

Thumbs up Day 18 - HIIT Cardio

Day 18 - HIIT Cardio

Hi everybody. Well, it was raining and foggy again... sort of a London-meets-seattle weather. I was glad to have my spinning bike at home! I woke up a little late, but I still went through my cardio session. I ran out of air here and there (allergies), but not as much as other days.

Most importantly... I did cardio ON A FASTED STATE. I just drank two glasses of water, and took my BCAA-glutamine combo, with some thermogenic serum I got (forgot the brand).

I'm pleased to say I didn't really miss that pre-cardio meal. For some reason, I usually wake up satisfied. No hunger at all. And actually, when I did eat before cardio, I ended up feeling kinda bloated. Anyways, overall, it was a good cardio session.

NUTRITION LOG:

Meal 1: (post cardio) 7:15 a.m.
    1 1/2 scoops of whey
    6 oz. of skim milk

Meal 2: 9:30 a.m.
    Omelet (3 egg whites / 1 egg yolks)
    Whole wheat tortilla

Meal 3: 12:30 p.m.
    Chicken Salad
    Black beans

Meal 4: 4:30 p.m.
    1 small can of tuna w/ mustard
    Whole wheat tortilla

Meal 5: 7:00 p.m.
    1 Lean body Gold protein bar

Meal 6: 9:30 p.m. (pre bed)
    1/2 cup of flax/oats blend (thats 85% flax, 15% oats)
    1/4 cup of light yogurt

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

Prebed: BCAA's (2 caps) / L-Glutamine (2 caps)

FINAL THOUGHT:

That's it for Day #18... even though the day is bleak, I'm feeling very motivated today.

He conquers who endures.

~Persius

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

First day with fasted cardio...

Just a quick comment. Yesterday was my first day doing fasted cardio. I just wanted to write about how I felt as the day progressed. As I wrote before, energy levels were good and the session went fine. I did notice a little bit more hunger during the day (specially the moments approaching my meal times).

I haven't been that hungry this week (I conclude it is because the Accutane treatment), but yesterday I got my appetite back. I'll keep doing fasted cardio and see how it affects fat loss. (I drink water and a BCCA-glutamine stack - if you can call that a "stack" )

Alright. I'll post todays workout in a little bit, so stay tuned.

Thanks for visiting,

-audioescape.

Post Day 19 - Upper Body

Day 19 - Upper Body

I guess this week hasn't been great in terms of Upper Body performance. I'll explain the details below, so keep reading. Now, to the numberz...

Chest

Dumbbell Bench Press
    12 x 70
    10 x 90
    8 x 100
    6 x 110
    -Pump set-
    12 x 90 - Dumbbell Bench Press
    12 x 60 - Dumbbell Flys

Shoulders

Military Press
    12 x 40
    10 x 60
    7 x 70 ##FAILED AT THE 7th REP##
    5 x 80 ## FAILED AT THE 5th REP#
    -Pump set-
    12x 60 - Military Press
    15 x 30 - Lateral raises

Back

Pull-downs
    12 x 70
    10 x 80
    8 x 90
    6 x 100
    -Pump set-
    12 x 40 - Pull-downs
    12 x 40 - Dumbbell rows

Triceps

12 x 25
    10 x 30
    8 x 35
    6 x 40
    -Pump set-
    11 x 40 - French Press ##FAILED @ 11th REP - 3 more than last time##

Biceps

Seated Dumbbell Curls
    12 x 20
    10 x 30
    8 x 40
    6 x 60
    -Pump set-
    12 x 50 -- Concentrated Curls
    12 x 40 -- Hammers

NOTES/COMMENTS:

Chest was good, as usual. It was actually kinda great. I don't know If I'm giving it all out in chest and then I feel it in other exercises. Dunno. Could be. But CHEST felt very empowering. I sense we're making progress in that area.

Now the rest... Shoulders felt WEAK today. I still improved, compared to last time, so that's OK. Gotta take some baby steps before you can run. Triceps weren't bad, and BACK made me sweat like crazy. I liked it, although I think I may have sacrificed on form in the last couple of reps.

I felt I was hitting a wall with biceps, so I switched to concentrated curls this time. I think I'll repeat'em next Wednesday.

NUTRITION LOG:

The usual... with one exception: I'm going to the movies tonite with a couple of friends, so I'm bringing my protein bar with me. Also, I'd probably stay at the office 'till around 7. I brought a Response bar and an apple to eat at that time. I know that's one too many bars, but is either that or a hot dog at the movies.

Meal 1: 5:15 a.m. (pre workout)
    2 scoops of whey
    6 oz. of skim milk

Meal 2: 7:00 a.m. (post workout)
    2 scoops of whey
    5 oz. of water
    Cup of coffee

3 tbsp of natty yogurt

Fish (1 portion)
    Green salad
    Black beans (1 portion)

1 Whole wheat flour tortilla
    1 small can of tuna

MRM Response bar (200 cals)
    1 tiny apple

Meal 7: 9:15 p.m.
    1 Detour Bar

SUPPLEMENT LOG:

Pre workout:
    BCAA's (2 caps)
    Post workout:
    BCAA's (2 caps)
    Prebed:
    BCAA's (2 caps)

FINAL THOUGHT:

And............ that wraps up this week's resistance training. Just one more Cardio session and Week 3 is over. I'm telling you... time goes by faster when you workout... dunno why, it just does. Anyways, thanks so much for visiting. It is Friday today, isn't it? Ain't that cool?

Here's a quote for ya,

There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream.

~Author Unknown

See you tomorrow,

-audioescape.

good news!!!

Remember I said I'd be going on a business trip during WEEK 5 of my personal transformation challenge? Of course you don't. Anyways, I'm going on a business trip during week 5 (starting june 7th), and I just found out the hotel I'll be staying at has a fitness center!

So no lunges, push-ups or situps in the hotel room for me! I'll be using the "gym's" equipment. I know for sure is not top notch by a long shot. Probably just some cardio equipment and low end cable machines. But hey, that's why the BFL training philosophy is based on reaching you HIGH POINTS.

A high point is a high point, no matter how you reach it.

Of course, I wouldn't want to train there for the long run, but in this case of emergency, I think it'll be more than OK.

Other good news is... I'll be getting my laptop for that trip, so guess what... I'll keep on posting about workouts and ... very important... MEALS! You know it ain't easy to eat on the road, but if you are careful enough, you can succed.

Alright, that was just a quick report.

Back to work.