Thread: home vs gym

LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10)

home vs gym

I cant decide here which to go with. I got some money to buy atleast a decent amount of weights and a bench/squat combo and then go from there. But Im just wondernig am I limiting myself with home setup?

For those who lift at home any advice to offer?

lambeau31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lambeau31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lambeau31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lambeau31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lambeau31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lambeau31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Go with a gym membership man. Tons more equipment available, and it will cost you less, as long as you're not at a fancy club gym or something. You'd have to buy a TON of different weights (this means 45 lb plates, dumbbells, barbells benchs etc), not just a bench/squat rack to do it at home. Not worth the hassle at all. You'd limit the type of exercises you could do at home based on only what you have. Not good for any gains. Gym all the way.

Mark_2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mark_2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mark_2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mark_2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mark_2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mark_2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mark_2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mark_2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mark_2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mark_2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mark_2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yea! The gym is a great way to learn from other guys and to break from the manotiny of going it alone. You'll also have a very wide selection of machines and dumbells to work with. Sure it costs a couple hundread dollars a year but in my opion it's worth it!

TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Unless its a case where youll never go to the gym. I found myself unmotivated to go to the gym every day, so I eventually wound up picking up a universal smith machine, bench, barbell, 500# of plates and a metric assload of DBs.

I probably have over two and a half grand invested in the setup, but it made all the difference in the world. So much easier just to walk down the stairs than to drive to the gym.

magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    go with gym dude, i dont know where ur at but in NJ and NY 25lbs plate=25$ iots like 1lb 1$ so unless u have 5000$ to spend then ok.

Dynamiik is just really nice. (+1000) Dynamiik is just really nice. (+1000) Dynamiik is just really nice. (+1000) Dynamiik is just really nice. (+1000) Dynamiik is just really nice. (+1000) Dynamiik is just really nice. (+1000) Dynamiik is just really nice. (+1000) Dynamiik is just really nice. (+1000) Dynamiik is just really nice. (+1000) Dynamiik is just really nice. (+1000) Dynamiik is just really nice. (+1000)
    The gym is alot better than working out at home.

Weasel10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ya the gym all the way. and when you want to start to do some new workouts you don't have to go out and buy more equipment.
    My Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=158125241#post158125241

I try.

Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Both, i have failed to find any difference.

My workouts consist of exercises that involve dumbbells and barbells, with the exception of maybe weighted wide grip pull ups. If you want to workout from home buy dumbbells where you can add extra plates, like on a barbell. Then buy around 300-400lbs of plates...if you are a beginner you will only need 150lbs max to start with. Buy a bench that can switch from incline, flat and decline. Buy a barbell bar, and if you really must, invest in a squat rack (although personally i prefer to use a bench press bench as my squat rack..). This should cost you around 600-700 dollars.

Or you could just join a gym.

Each have their benefits. Working from home is easy, no 'pressure' to bench more than other guys...so you get better results because you bench a weight that you can manage with perfect form. But the gym has it's positives too. Easier to get motivated, you get training tips from other members, you have people to spot you...and there are always good looking girls there...the latter always seems to attract 90% of men to a gym. LOL.

Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I enjoy working out at home. I bought all my stuff at a school auction. Saved a ton of cash.
    BULKING AND NOT WANTING TO GAIN FAT IS LIKE HAVING SEX AND NOT WANTING TO GET OFF. IT IS NOT VERY PRODUCTIVE.

DeXyrus is just really nice. (+1000) DeXyrus is just really nice. (+1000) DeXyrus is just really nice. (+1000) DeXyrus is just really nice. (+1000) DeXyrus is just really nice. (+1000) DeXyrus is just really nice. (+1000) DeXyrus is just really nice. (+1000) DeXyrus is just really nice. (+1000) DeXyrus is just really nice. (+1000) DeXyrus is just really nice. (+1000) DeXyrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    gym membership is cheap, even if your considering a lifelong stay, but i would DEF go with home.

just go on craigslist and get a bench/squat combo, and a total gym. you'll be set with everything. maybe a pull up bar too (15$)

X
    On the first day, man created God. - Anonymous
    Canada is America's hat.

Bench: 235
    Squat: 275
    Deadlift: 335
    Power Clean: 200

Powerlift: 845

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=106696351

lambeau31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lambeau31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lambeau31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lambeau31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lambeau31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lambeau31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    gym, gym, gym, gym, gym.

What can you do at home that you can't at the gym?? Plus I forgot to mention that, even though most exercises should be compound dumbbell and barbell, the gym has great machines like the leg press machine, calf raise machine, lat pull down machine etc. that you should incorporate for good gains. The home is too monotonous anyways.

Really the only advantage of doing it at home is if you don't feel like driving to the gym. But if you're not motivated to do that.....

LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    motivation is not the thing it was just cost in the long run. I mean right now I'd have to go out and buy the weights and bench and cardio equipment. And I was looking at well if I go with home Im kind of restricted.

reading some of this im thinking that perhaps I should get a membership and then save up as I go to buy a really good home setup.

The only thing thats gonna suck is when winter comes.

dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've worked out in bunches of gyms over the years, and now work out at home. Gyms are nice if you're the type that needs to get out and around other folks to get motivated. I personally don't like having to rush my sets, not use chalk, wait for equipment, listen to the oldies, NOT have a power rack, and so on. I only use a power rack, barbells and my elastic workout bands when I lift, so I don't need all of the hammer strength type stuff. Though gyms have girls....

Push It has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've met people that lack the motivation to workout at home, but can motivate themselves to workout at a gym simply because their paying for a membership each month. I prefer a gym, there's such a wide selection of machines and free weights, you just can't beat it as far as I'm concerned.
    Shut up and PUSH!

Charlac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Charlac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Charlac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Charlac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Charlac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Charlac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Charlac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Charlac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Charlac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Charlac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Charlac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I almost signed up for LA fitness tonight because my cardio bunny girlfriend wanted to do the yoga and cycling classes. But I didn't like the silly fees and also gas prices in Southern California is about 4.05 cents, that would be about 2 dollars for the gym a day even on days off and about 2.50 to drive back and fourth.

My advice get a squat rack, bench, olympic barbell, weights and if you can afford it the Powerblock dumbells used.

I use chalk, flex in front of the mirror with my shirt off, and listen to whatever music. Priceless.

awebayt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awebayt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awebayt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awebayt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awebayt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awebayt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    id rather spend 1x $500 on plates, racks and bars than $50/month to have access to **** i dont even need.

NtownJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NtownJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Home gym can be limited depending on your budget, but I work out at home. I would like to work out at the gym due to the other options availiable to me, but I find it much easier to walk down to the basement to lift whenever I want and to be able to cut down my workout time drastically to fit into my schedule which is huge for me right now.

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you can afford a decent rack, an olympic bar, plates, some rubber flooring, and have a sufficient amount of space, that's all you need.
    The guys who claim "I did GOMAD and got fat" are just stupid. - Dave76

J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i believe you people are missing some things that you CANT have at a home gym... unless your rich. like an indoor pool (not all but alot of gyms have this) sauna, jacuzzi, steam room, indoor bball court, indoor tennis court. ya i know its not nessesary for working out but i like that i am able to have access to these things when i want to.

TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by J1n View Post
    i believe you people are missing some things that you CANT have at a home gym... unless your rich. like an indoor pool (not all but alot of gyms have this) sauna, jacuzzi, steam room, indoor bball court, indoor tennis court. ya i know its not nessesary for working out but i like that i am able to have access to these things when i want to.
    The gym by me charges 60/month, and does not have a pool or a steam room. They do have a half court BBall court, and a handball court, and even a boxing ring, but they charge extra for each use.

Im back to where I was now. Im sort of using this bench http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...nches+%26+Sets and I have about 180-200lbs in weights. Also I have no idea what the capacity on the bench is so if anyone cares to give a guestimate that would be appreciated.

the thing that I was thinking of doing if I stayed home was to buy 300lb set and once I reach the 300 lbs mark on the squat look into buying either a power rack or powertec bench w/squat and lat tower.http://www.fitnesszone.com/Merchant2...de=002-001-015

Im currently doing a version of starting strength so my workouts are basic. for cardio I go for a jog in the morning and I lift later in the day.

Originally Posted by TonySturch View Post
    The gym by me charges 60/month, and does not have a pool or a steam room. They do have a half court BBall court, and a handball court, and even a boxing ring, but they charge extra for each use.
    yeah this is one of the reasons why Im thinking about going for a home gym. The gym wants like 400 bucks for a year or 75 bucks a month. I havent worked out in a gym, and it used to be 30 bucks a month that was it. I used to workout at a college gym but its crap, bad hours, 1 rack which is always being used etc etc.

some of you had posted that you tend to lift more at the gym, I actually lift more at home. Im more conservative in the gym.

Originally Posted by vicjg View Post
    If you can afford a decent rack, an olympic bar, plates, some rubber flooring, and have a sufficient amount of space, that's all you need.
    is the rubber flooring necessary? the room I lift in is carpeted.

Originally Posted by LoganX View Post
    is the rubber flooring necessary? the room I lift in is carpeted.
    That works fine for me, however I have cement under the floor, and I worry i might start breaking it up when I deadlift. I try my damndest to be gentle lowering the weight, but occasionally the last inch or two will drop.

Originally Posted by TonySturch View Post
    That works fine for me, however I have cement under the floor, and I worry i might start breaking it up when I deadlift. I try my damndest to be gentle lowering the weight, but occasionally the last inch or two will drop.
    gotcha

JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Smile

My suggestion would be both. Get a more economy based set of weights to keep at home, and a gym membership. If you are pressed for time one day of the week you can do a quick abbreviated work out instead of no workout at all. I find it very nice to have both. And who sais you need the nicest equipment. The weights that I started on at my house were my fathers and they were over 40 years old. Go to a flea market. Personally I like working out with grungy old weights anyways. Some of they gyms now days are like libraries. I've had some of my most intense workouts in the side room of an old garage with an old sound system and old weights... Don't get me wrong though, I like the large variety of tools that are made available to me at gyms.

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would say the ideal situtation you would want both. I have a home gym though and it cost about 1500-2000 range (will be 3-4k when completed) for the stuff I have (squat rack, tons of plates, bench, couple of bars, back extension -- not including treadmil tho can't remember price) and basically if I can get adjustable dumbells I'll be about set. The problem with a home gym is its alot of money up front if you want to have plenty of options as opposed to a membership where you get everything. I like the fact I can workout whenever I want with no waiting and snacks/shakes ect. just up the stairs helps for a busy schedule. For me I know I will still be lifting weights 10+ years down the road so the investment definately outweighs the idea of a gym membership but you have to make sure you aren't going to get the equipment and just stop using it yourself or kids whatever. I tried the gym for a few years but the pro's of a good built home gym out weight those of a membership easily. Anyways as a basic home gym setup you need a squat rack (preferably with dip, pullup and lat attachments), a good multi position bench and probably about a 300lb olympic plate set (usually comes at a good price). A rack like the Powertec one you can get the lat attachment later if you wanted and all that should be under 1k. The gym I went to was $57 per month so the price would equal out to like a year and 3-4 months because of the signup fee they had.
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!
    =============================================

rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    home gym is the best, you can workout when ever you fill like it, no one there to distract you, no waiting for equipment to use, you can listen to the music you want to with out head phones, you can do crazy stretches without people looking at you like your crazy, you can yell all you want and pose in front of the mirror all you want, the biggest negative about working out at home vs gym, is definitly the girls at the gym......though i can get my girl to come watch me workout, if your a dedicated lifter i would go with a home gym, if your not sure your going to be that dedicated i would get a gym membership,
    I have both a gym membership and a home gym, when i do not feel like working out today but i know i have too i go to the gym, but i mostly workout at home.

all you need for a home gym are
    Barbell
    Dumbells
    Weights
    my Bench press has leg curl and leg extension, squat rack, lat pull downs, i also do calf raises on it, incline bench press, decline bench press, decline crunches, and it only costs about $200 bucks, bought it at Sears.
    also may need a rubber mat for the floor.

I thnk Im gonna stick with a home gym. I am in it for the long haul and I guess I can just add on as I progress. Plus there are gonna be times coming up where Im gonna be rushed to get in a workout so I guess the home setup will be nice.

Thanks guys for your input.