metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

A question for all you PTs out there...

How do you deal with a difficult client?
    Last edited by metaldrummer; 04-26-2008 at 11:29 PM.

Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Care to elaborate a bit more than difficult? Like down syndrome or deaf or what?>

metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) metaldrummer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Nooo lol I mean difficult to work with. For instance, say someone who doesn't really want to be there? Or what about someone who doesn't want to listen? Sort of a psychological question
    Last edited by metaldrummer; 04-26-2008 at 11:26 PM.

Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    oh hai, im actually curious too, would you just tell them you dont want to work with them or does it depend on how much they pay etc
    Consistency

Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If they dont want to be there or listen then why do u have them?

Refer?

Deadlifts make you grow mrgeecue's Avatar
    mrgeecue has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mrgeecue has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mrgeecue has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mrgeecue has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mrgeecue has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mrgeecue has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mrgeecue has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mrgeecue has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mrgeecue has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mrgeecue has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mrgeecue has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    work the **** out of them.

if they don't want to be there. dont waste ur breath and energy on designing a workout routine and explaining to them how, why, when to do it and that. if they dont want to listen. just work the **** out of them.

u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lol, interesting advice, but how do you about about working the **** out of them?
    "Like those in the valley behind us, most people stand in sight of the spiritual mountains all their lives and never enter them, being content to listen to others who have been there and thus avoid the hardships."

WNBF Pro Bodybuilder NextProtege's Avatar
    NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by metaldrummer View Post
    How do you deal with a difficult client?
    Read up on promoting motivation through a clients contemplation processes in an ACSM handbook.
    US Marine 0311 Combat Vet
    Owner - Genuine Fitness LLC
    ACSM/ISSA Personal Trainer
    Competitive Natural Bodybuilder

Follow my log to a natural pro card in 2014
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158337103

dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000)
    if you cant break through to them and it is just becoming unbearable to work with them explain that you dont think that your type of training is a great fit for their needs and refer them to someone who might be of help to them.

adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nooo lol I mean difficult to work with. For instance, say someone who doesn't really want to be there? Or what about someone who doesn't want to listen? Sort of a psychological question
    I FIRE THEM
    why let my self be all stressed over a small amount of money

edit : if they dont want to be there - then they just need to be fired but
    if they just dont do their home work , well i just keep reminding them of what needs to be done
    some times its just really small steps they take
    Last edited by adoniscomplex; 04-28-2008 at 12:17 PM.
    my blogs
    howigotripped.wordpress.com
    submissiongrappling.wordpress.com

Wow some interesting responses... I would've thought that as long as they were shelling out the $$$ that one would just put up with them.

Life=Red Sox/Pit Bulls NDame616's Avatar
    NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    One of my clients refuses to follow diet advice, off-day (with me) training advice, cardio advice, etc. She swears, every week, that "she is NOW starting"

I've made a $100 bet with her that she won't lose weight (..I won)
    I've threatened to fire her.

She's been training me for over a year, and has GAINED weight since then...most of my clients lose 15 lbs or so in the first 5-6 weeks.

She just bought another 20 pack. I'm gonna make her donate $20 to a charity of my choice every week she doesn't hit her weight loss goal.

Then, if that doesn't work, she's getting canned. Some people just have a lot of money to blow....

dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wow some interesting responses... I would've thought that as long as they were shelling out the $$$ that one would just put up with them.
    your clients are a product of your services. so if they are not following your instructions and are not seeing results it will look bad on you. People wont think that the client was unsucessful because they didnt follow the diet or training program they will automatically assume the trainer was ineffective at producing results so while you might loose money from dropping the client you could potentially lose more from not getting any new clients by keeping the client who is not listening and not seeing results

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by u5711 View Post
    lol, interesting advice, but how do you about about working the **** out of them?
    about 3 trips of duck walks across the floor generally does the trick
    "Humility comes before honor"

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    totally depends on the trainer.

for me, with my personality etc, its just not possible....I am not going to stand there and pretend to go thru the motions etc. I am going to confront at soem point, lol.

A lot of trainers get into training because they hate "working a job". Well if u train people like u describe, then basically u r just "working a job"

I got into training more for the challenge of it..to see if I could hack it and for my own personal growth...but also to help people and to exercise my creative powers. But if they wont let me help them then there is just nothing there to start with.

That being said, I think all trainers experience the point where they are conflicted between cutting someone loose and continuing to get the check, lol.
    "Humility comes before honor"

rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If they are a pain the ass, fire em. I have before and I would again. Losing moeny sucks, but I can be hella productive in a hour anyway and I've always got other **** to take care of. Plus everyone else is getting results so it's usually not open that long.
    CSCS
    MS Exercise Science, Colorado State University

http://patrickperformancetraining.com

Mentorship under Alwyn Cosgrove in August!

Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NDame616 View Post
    Then, if that doesn't work, she's getting canned. Some people just have a lot of money to blow....
    You should be very glad to have those kinds of people around. I could sure use a few of them.

NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Al Shades View Post
    You should be very glad to have those kinds of people around. I could sure use a few of them.

A handful of my business coaches swear people don't just have "money to blow" and if they hire a PT, they WILl give you their max effort...but that's just BS.

Two of my clients really don't care about the results. One, the one I mentioned, keeps syaing "now we are gonna start, now I'm on track" etc. Another one really doesn't care about results either. but she needs me to talk about her divorce, her friends, etc. She gets her butt kicked at the gym, but then she will eat like hell, get her nails done, hair done, etc. She's a princess. We both know where she stands.

Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NDame616 View Post
    A handful of my business coaches swear people don't just have "money to blow" and if they hire a PT, they WILl give you their max effort...but that's just BS.

Two of my clients really don't care about the results. One, the one I mentioned, keeps syaing "now we are gonna start, now I'm on track" etc. Another one really doesn't care about results either. but she needs me to talk about her divorce, her friends, etc. She gets her butt kicked at the gym, but then she will eat like hell, get her nails done, hair done, etc. She's a princess. We both know where she stands.
    How is your business set up, if you don't mind me asking? Are you at a commercial gym? Did these people approach you for training or did you scope them out somehow?

I would like to have your problem.

I'm at a commercial gym for now. I'm trying to build up my clientele base as much as I want and then gonna switch to boot camps or a studio....maybe/probably both.

afb0032 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afb0032 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afb0032 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afb0032 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afb0032 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afb0032 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afb0032 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afb0032 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afb0032 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afb0032 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afb0032 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If they do not wish to be there, then so be it. I will tell them either fix their act or find a new trainer. My time is too valuable and I have many other people wanting to get on my schedule, so I'm not about to waste my time on them. Working with good clients makes the job quite enjoyable, and yes at first building up reputation is very important especially at a new gym or just starting out, but retaining clients you like working with is the valuable part in the long run for your personal benefit especially in enjoying the job.

johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Smile

Originally Posted by NextProtege View Post
    Read up on promoting motivation through a clients contemplation processes in an ACSM handbook.
    X2!! Its easy from a "human nature" stand point to have the attitude of screw them its their body that's not getting trained BUT you have a certain responsibilty (as their trainer) to MOTIVATE!!!! I've trained ALOT of different "personalities" over the years and I can't say that I've EVER Been in a short of finding people that weren't motivated!!! You need to remember that, as a trainer, you're there to provide more than just nutritional and workout knowledge. (that is IF you want to be a successful trainer) Take heed on the advice that Nextprotege has given, and look into books like the ACSM handbook, it'll only make you THAT MUCH BETTER of a trainer!!!!
    Good luck to ya brother...............Johnny
    You're never too old to be the person that you were meant to be.

Some good replies, I'm actually not a pt, but it does interest me.

It's later than you think EMISGOD's Avatar
    EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When I trained people, they paid up front and I would very bluntly tell them what they needed to do on their end to continue to have me train them. If they blew off sessions, they basically just gave me what I was charging them and got nothing out of it as I explicitly said there were no refunds and very seldom re-schedules.

If they were a client or type of client I did not want to have, I would either drop them as soon as their pre-paid time was over or double, triple, etc. my fee. Most of the time, the promise of them being dropped was enough.
    Ongoing Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=106420991

Come here and open your mouth, S103/Syntrax, I gotta take a piss: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3569901

MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm assuming the client is obese? If so, it's all emotional for them. Everyone is watching and they have zero confidence. You build a special relationship with each client, having to change your personality with each one. You are their teacher, friend, and sometimes a shrink