Is gonna look amaaaazing brandynq's Avatar
    brandynq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brandynq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brandynq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brandynq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brandynq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rounded Shoulders = Stop Working Chest For A While?

So after doing a lot of research online, it looks like I have rounded shoulders and winged scapula due to the fact that my posture was/is garbage and my upper back is very weak. So my question is, now that I've added some back exercises to my routine, should I cut back on my chest exercises until everything balances out or does it matter? Thanks

honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The personal training cert. NASM is big on corrective exercise and proper posture. When your shoulders protract and shoulders round forward, your rhomboids/upper back stretches out and weakens, while the chest muscles shorten and tighten up. I've seen a lot of dudes in my gym who have this issue and get huge ass front delts but an underdeveloped chest.

Depending on the severity of the issue, I would limit your chest work and focus on obviously strenghtening your rhomboids and upper back. Not sure but I also believe in this case your lats will also be tightened because of their insertion point in your body, in that case stretch them out as well.

Focus on a lot of narrow rows at a slow tempo, hold the contraction of the muscle for 1-2 seconds and let they weight come back slow. Cobras also work great on your back.

Is gonna look amaaaazing brandynq's Avatar
    brandynq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brandynq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brandynq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brandynq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brandynq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the tips. Anybody else?

huwwaters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) huwwaters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think they say do 3 back exercises for 1 chest, to help your back catch up.

Do face pulls (rows to your face) to exercise the rhomboids. Plenty of door frame stretches for the pecs and anterior delts and throw in some rear deltoid work etc. Front pull downs will help as well as sit down rows.

Registered User Vincent VJ Hils's Avatar
    Vincent VJ Hils has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vincent VJ Hils has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vincent VJ Hils has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vincent VJ Hils has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vincent VJ Hils has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vincent VJ Hils has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vincent VJ Hils has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vincent VJ Hils has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vincent VJ Hils has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vincent VJ Hils has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vincent VJ Hils has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

yep

Originally Posted by huwwaters View Post
    I think they say do 3 back exercises for 1 chest, to help your back catch up.

Do face pulls (rows to your face) to exercise the rhomboids. Plenty of door frame stretches for the pecs and anterior delts and throw in some rear deltoid work etc. Front pull downs will help as well as sit down rows.
    + 1

blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    can some one post a picture of this rounded shoulder topic i keep hearing about, tryin to figure out if i have it, i cant tell by the mirror

DustnBones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DustnBones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DustnBones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DustnBones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DustnBones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DustnBones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DustnBones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DustnBones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DustnBones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DustnBones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DustnBones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Along with the advice so far, I'd also stretch out the entire chest cavity 1-2 times a day.

Hart18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hart18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hart18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hart18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hart18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hart18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hart18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hart18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hart18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hart18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hart18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As I do agree with everyone here on the stretches and building up the back, I also have this issue. But mine is from injuries I got from hockey and being a grunt in the Marine Corps. Theres not a whole lot I can do about it. I dont by any means have a weak back. My back is huge compared to my chest. Some people just naturally have this problem and some get it from injury. So I would say try these excercises and if it soesnt work see a doc and see what he/she has to say about it.

mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have it to, its called a protracted shoulder girdle, I read about it here on exrx.net. Mine was brought on by years of waterskiing/wakeboarding (like 1 or 2 times per week!) pulling my shoulders forward. (Also developed massive lats but week rhomboids from this, go figure)

As seems your case they say it can also be associated with a winged scapula, or in my case associated with shoulder transverse adduction / flexion inflexibility.

Like everyone says chest stretches are key, including stretching the subscapularis which can be short. Also strengthening rhomboids. Exrx.net recommends some preventative / corrective exercises:
    I've been doing all the above every workout (for 2 weeks now, lol, but already the squat bar feels better where previously it really stretched my shoulders to get in the right position). Also just started shoulder dislocations, as seen here on stronglifts.com. This is a pretty good site too.

Good luck!!
    New workout journal: The Running and Lifting Experiment
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117095521
    :: 34 days till my first marathon ::

blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blinky99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i still dont know if i have it or not

mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mclad has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by blinky99 View Post
    i still dont know if i have it or not
    Picture below is worth a thousand (or at least a hundred) words if you know whats going on. On the right is the normal position of the upper arms, collar bones and shoulders in relation to the spine. On the left is a protracted shoulder girdle, with the collar bones and shoulders forward of the spine (note your spine is at the back of your body).

If you have difficulty with the correct barbell position on squats or military/upright presses, you probably have it. If you have difficulty with the wall shoulder girdle stretch, you probably do. (I have some difficulty with all of these).

Good luck!

ps reps anyone? I got none : (
    New workout journal: The Running and Lifting Experiment
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117095521
    :: 34 days till my first marathon ::

mattv09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattv09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattv09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattv09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattv09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattv09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattv09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattv09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattv09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattv09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattv09 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    lots of t bar rows

Dr.Lecter is not very helpful. (-500) Dr.Lecter is not very helpful. (-500) Dr.Lecter is not very helpful. (-500) Dr.Lecter is not very helpful. (-500) Dr.Lecter is not very helpful. (-500) Dr.Lecter is not very helpful. (-500) Dr.Lecter is not very helpful. (-500) Dr.Lecter is not very helpful. (-500) Dr.Lecter is not very helpful. (-500) Dr.Lecter is not very helpful. (-500) Dr.Lecter is not very helpful. (-500)
    Arg, I have this same problem!

Toonafishman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cobras and seated reverse flys FTW
    "The only difference between a rut and grave is depth."

huwwaters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) huwwaters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

good articles thanks, i do tbar rows love em
    Last edited by blinky99; 04-28-2008 at 07:00 PM.

BethaneyJayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) BethaneyJayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) BethaneyJayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) BethaneyJayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) BethaneyJayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) BethaneyJayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) BethaneyJayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) BethaneyJayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) BethaneyJayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) BethaneyJayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) BethaneyJayne will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I have a similar problem

basically i am round shouldered due to a desk job, tight pecs and internal rotators, weak stretched rhomboids, etc etc etc...

I have been advised to ad plenty of pec and internal rotator stretching and external rotation work everyday, and stick to exercises that emphasise external rotation, so upright rows are out of my program, along with a few other changes, mostly in my grip and changing my rowing technique to retract and drpress my scapula, I believe this would also help you too, it sounds like we have similar problems, hope you can turn the problem around, im trying pretty hard too,

good luck!

Kramerica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kramerica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kramerica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kramerica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kramerica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kramerica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kramerica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kramerica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kramerica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kramerica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kramerica has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Marked

Will read later

Need bigger/rounded shoulders

aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I used to have this problem, although not too severe. I started doing reverse pushups (that's what I call them, I'm not sure of the technical name). I put the smith machine to the next to lowest setting. Then lie on my back on the ground in a bench press position, and instead of pushing, I pull my chest up to the bar, squeezing my shoulder blades together at the top, while keeping my body straight. If done right, it stretches your chest and front delts, while strengthening the opposing muscle group. Works great.
    Starting weight: 225lbs (January 2007)
    Current weight: 178lbs (5/16/09)

Stuck at ~10-11% BF for 2 months. Starting carb cycling on June 1st to try to break through that plateau.

Battabbadabattbetoopot FattyPants's Avatar
    FattyPants is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyPants is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyPants is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyPants is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyPants is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyPants is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyPants is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyPants is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyPants is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyPants is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyPants is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do the door way streches for your chest and start doing some serious seated rows.
    Do you SEA what I did here?

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    With rounded shoulders, in fact, your shoulder tends to sit in a bit of external rotation, so the external rotators need stretching.

The lats can also pull the shoulders downwards and inwards so don't forget to stretch them as well.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au