imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Everything to know about PT for beginners

I was wondering about PTing, how do I go about getting certified? I go to uni, do i have to take coureses here? or will a gym offer it?
    [I REP back.]

ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    for the most part u find a cert u want and then buy there study package (a text, sometimes a dvd, ect) study on ur own and take the test when ur ready. . usually cost between $500 and $800. . .
    Certified NASM Personal Trainer

Workout Program (P/RR/S):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6398381

imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) imawake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    how do i find a cert?
    [I REP back.]

tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ISSA is one of the best IMO, but there is ACE and like 3 others that for real.

xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm currently going through ISSA..it's not too bad, they give you some decent study tips and every things open book. Once you finish the exam and send it in, they reply within a few days whether you passed or failed. It takes a 75% to pass. You get your certification in the mail within a 3week period...and obviously you can then start training clients!

Just understand that one cert. isn't going to cut it. Your going to need to keep furthering your education so it catches the clients eye when they are going through your credentials, and comparing yours to other trainers. Nutrition is the next thing I am going to get into, then who knows...

I've already got a few clients lined up waiting for me to finish my cert.(thats my motivation) all of which are around my age(I'm 21) so it's easier for me to relate to them and train them...Find a friend who's wanting to get better in the fitness world that would want a trainer, and help them out. In a sense "practice" being a PT with them. Don't act like you know everything under the sun, but use what you've learned. They are a workout partner as it is, and your obviously not going to charge them, so its a win-win situation.

Once you purchase your study materials through a company start putting word out that your going to be a PT. All of my friends know that I'm the one to come to when it involves working out and nutrition..So that has definitely helped as well.

Word of mouth is the best marketing tool IMO..

Goodluck man!
    Training for spec. ops

thanks man awesome post, can i have some links to the ebst certs out there? i didnt know it was a through the mail thing, that makes it easy for me.
    [I REP back.]

A big gym near me says this on their website:
    Our personal trainers come from varied educational backgrounds. All of the trainers, however, hold one of the following certifications: NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine www.NASM.org), ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine www.ACSM.org), or NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association www.nsca-cc.org). At Tilton Fitness, we encourage our trainers to continue to learn, be creative and attain new certifications.

those anygood? imma check them out
    [I REP back.]

xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xJKAx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by imawake View Post
    A big gym near me says this on their website:
    Our personal trainers come from varied educational backgrounds. All of the trainers, however, hold one of the following certifications: NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine www.NASM.org), ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine www.ACSM.org), or NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association www.nsca-cc.org). At Tilton Fitness, we encourage our trainers to continue to learn, be creative and attain new certifications.

those anygood? imma check them out

Yeah those are some of the best out there! Which shows that the gym is making sure there trainers are very knowledgeable. But you can have a great cert. and be a crappy trainer and also have a crappy cert. and be a great trainer. In the end its up to you to keep doing research and push yourself and those you train!
    Last edited by xJKAx; 04-25-2008 at 09:35 AM.
    Training for spec. ops

rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Get a good certification first and make sure you know the ins and out of what your recommend. Read as much outside of the textbook as possible to learn about training. My advice is be the best beginner trainer you can because most people are not that advanced.

Learn to fix major issues almost any client is sure to have--low back pain/posture issues/fat loss/proper warm up.

From there, learn how to sell personal training to people

PrisonerDilemma is just really nice. (+1000) PrisonerDilemma is just really nice. (+1000) PrisonerDilemma is just really nice. (+1000) PrisonerDilemma is just really nice. (+1000) PrisonerDilemma is just really nice. (+1000) PrisonerDilemma is just really nice. (+1000) PrisonerDilemma is just really nice. (+1000) PrisonerDilemma is just really nice. (+1000) PrisonerDilemma is just really nice. (+1000) PrisonerDilemma is just really nice. (+1000) PrisonerDilemma is just really nice. (+1000)
    To help on the business side, also read up on marketing, consumer analysis, and accounting. Once you're working under a private firm, you'll be in charge of finding clients and dealing with finances--if you don't know how to conduct yourself professionally, your clientel will be lacking.

Besides that, also try to be as knowledgeable about all-things-fitness (ie. nutrition, stress management, stretching [dynamic; static], time management, supplementation, periodization, loading/deloading, etc.). Don't just regurgitate the information you crammed for your certification exams--localize your points so that they're relevant and appealing towards your clients.

rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rpatrick5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Another thing, pick a niche market. It's better to be a big fish in a small pond.

And think outside the box, everyone trains 25-45 year old women who have tried everything and are frustrated but looking for fat loss--you'll still get clients like this, but specialize somewhere.
    CSCS
    MS Exercise Science, Colorado State University

http://patrickperformancetraining.com

Mentorship under Alwyn Cosgrove in August!

thanks dfor the info guys.. out of the certs i posted earlier, which can i take online? which are more reccomended out of those? im going to try to get certified asap.
    [I REP back.]

johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Smile

Originally Posted by xJKAx View Post
    I'm currently going through ISSA..it's not too bad, they give you some decent study tips and every things open book. Once you finish the exam and send it in, they reply within a few days whether you passed or failed. It takes a 75% to pass. You get your certification in the mail within a 3week period...and obviously you can then start training clients!

Just understand that one cert. isn't going to cut it. Your going to need to keep furthering your education so it catches the clients eye when they are going through your credentials, and comparing yours to other trainers. Nutrition is the next thing I am going to get into, then who knows...

I've already got a few clients lined up waiting for me to finish my cert.(thats my motivation) all of which are around my age(I'm 21) so it's easier for me to relate to them and train them...Find a friend who's wanting to get better in the fitness world that would want a trainer, and help them out. In a sense "practice" being a PT with them. Don't act like you know everything under the sun, but use what you've learned. They are a workout partner as it is, and your obviously not going to charge them, so its a win-win situation.

Once you purchase your study materials through a company start putting word out that your going to be a PT. All of my friends know that I'm the one to come to when it involves working out and nutrition..So that has definitely helped as well.

Word of mouth is the best marketing tool IMO..

Goodluck man!
    Good advice Brother....
    You're never too old to be the person that you were meant to be.

johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Talking

Originally Posted by rpatrick5 View Post
    Another thing, pick a niche market. It's better to be a big fish in a small pond.

And think outside the box, everyone trains 25-45 year old women who have tried everything and are frustrated but looking for fat loss--you'll still get clients like this, but specialize somewhere.
    More good advice!
    You're never too old to be the person that you were meant to be.

very good advice... out of the certs i posted, which can i get the fastest? i need some time of income asap...need to move out of my rents house.
    [I REP back.]

KieMoxie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieMoxie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieMoxie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieMoxie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieMoxie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieMoxie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieMoxie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieMoxie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieMoxie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not a bad idea to pickup your CPR cert and or EMT-B.

koehler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I currently go to school at a small university in a small town. There are a bunch of locals that come to the gym and are always asking for tips.

So I have a few questions.

Do you have to be certified to train?

Do you have to be hired through the university to train people at their gym?

Thanks.

koehler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ThinkBig05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThinkBig05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThinkBig05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThinkBig05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThinkBig05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThinkBig05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThinkBig05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThinkBig05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThinkBig05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThinkBig05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThinkBig05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    anybody got any infomation on the best cert's in the UK? or would the ones listed above be the best bet i.e recognised internationally

bhoov will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhoov will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhoov will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhoov will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhoov will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhoov will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhoov will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhoov will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhoov will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhoov will become famous soon enough. (+50) bhoov will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by imawake View Post
    I was wondering about PTing, how do I go about getting certified? I go to uni, do i have to take coureses here? or will a gym offer it?
    ACSM.net

they have workshops times and you can set up certification testing times also.
    ACSM is the way to go.
    O's, Bohs, and Joe Flaccos