Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs down

I dont wanna sound like capt obvious but I think its time a sticky was make for adjustable DB's. Might help slow the reoccurance of this topic, in the form of new threads, every friggin day.
    "People are bastard covered bastards, with bastard fillings"

www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by need2eat View Post
    I dont wanna sound like capt obvious but I think its time a sticky was make for adjustable DB's. Might help slow the reoccurance of this topic, in the form of new threads, every friggin day.
    I agree.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by need2eat View Post
    We've had a rack sticky for what? 4 months now? People don't even look at them...

Continually every day people ask questions that are covered in that sticky.

However... I'm for a db sticky.

berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    add another vote to the Ironmasters... they are amazing. I got the bench and the 120 lb add on and they are fantastic... high quality materials and good construction. The shipping job was even impressive, everything is double boxed and carefulyl wrapped

berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) berardi1111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I never understood why people complain of the same topic being created. It's a forum, not a book. Are we only supposed to talk about NEW equipment prior to creation of said stickies? I understand people being annoyed at repetitive subjects, but that is pretty much what a forum is. Part of the nice part of that is you get a continual evolving consensus which is generally pretty useful.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by berardi1111 View Post
    I never understood why people complain of the same topic being created. It's a forum, not a book. Are we only supposed to talk about NEW equipment prior to creation of said stickies? I understand people being annoyed at repetitive subjects, but that is pretty much what a forum is. Part of the nice part of that is you get a continual evolving consensus which is generally pretty useful.

I can't speak for everybody, and I have to admit that some get angrier than others about this.

That said, have you actually seen some of the redundant and ill informed posts in this forum? I think people are bothered by the fact that a person finds this sight, registers, then they immediately ask "I want to build a home gym, what should I get?" or "What kind of power rack should I get?" or "What's better powerblocks or iron masters?"

Come on man, can anybody use the search function? Its not that you can't talk about something that's already been discussed, but at least educate yourself a little....do a little work on your own! I spent at least 2 months lurking before I had something to say. I spent that time looking at the old posts and searching for the answers to questions if they were out there. It also gave me a chance to "meet" the cast of characters here!

Nobody should feel obligated to wait 2 months either, that's not the point. I just think people are too lazy to research and ask the most mundane questions.....

Anyway, discourse & discussion are good things, no arguement here. But you don't have to be a member here very long to get bored with yet another question about whether or not that sweet ass Golds bench press at Walmart is a good deal for me because I swear I'll never want to bench more than say 27.5 lbs.......

If this wasn't an internet truth there would be no such thing as a FAQ!
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    ......If this wasn't an internet truth there would be no such thing as a FAQ!......

Hey DD! Maybe a FAQ is what we need here as a primer for new people. Nothing elaborate or comprehensive.....maybe even a locked "read this first" section. Of course it should be called the "Bench, rack, weights" section.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    I can't speak for everybody, and I have to admit that some get angrier than others about this.

That said, have you actually seen some of the redundant and ill informed posts in this forum? I think people are bothered by the fact that a person finds this sight, registers, then they immediately ask "I want to build a home gym, what should I get?" or "What kind of power rack should I get?" or "What's better powerblocks or iron masters?"

Come on man, can anybody use the search function? Its not that you can't talk about something that's already been discussed, but at least educate yourself a little....do a little work on your own! I spent at least 2 months lurking before I had something to say. I spent that time looking at the old posts and searching for the answers to questions if they were out there. It also gave me a chance to "meet" the cast of characters here!

Nobody should feel obligated to wait 2 months either, that's not the point. I just think people are too lazy to research and ask the most mundane questions.....

Anyway, discourse & discussion are good things, no arguement here. But you don't have to be a member here very long to get bored with yet another question about whether or not that sweet ass Golds bench press at Walmart is a good deal for me because I swear I'll never want to bench more than say 27.5 lbs.......

If this wasn't an internet truth there would be no such thing as a FAQ!
    Well said.

I totally agree with everything you are saying, but I guess I'm trying to say that it is the total and complete nature of the idea of a "Forum". I don't think I've ever been to an "orderly" forum without newbies posting out of control. This is where moderators and administration come into play - they determine the quality of the content based on their selection of "stickies" and censorship.

Google defines forum as "a public facility to meet for open discussion". It's a discussion, not an end all be all. I think a lot of people would prefer the "wiki" medium where knowledge is obtained, formulated and posted in an agreed format and sometimes modified. Newbies come and read, not come and post. Still, I find that Wiki's (with the huge exception of wikipedia) are largely unpopular when compared to forums.

That said; as a new member, I think this is a great forum with a much more positive than average attitude towards fellow members and newcomers and there is a large wealth of valuable information. I think this may be the strength of this forumbut also the cause of the problems people complain of. There's so much good information that even I (someone who obsesses over nutrition and fitness infromation) was completely overwhelmed as I have been reading stickies, popular posts, etc. There's so many good threads you don't know which to read and end up posting your question which has been answered a dozen times.

Solution to this? Beats me - I think a lot of the stickies are useful but I think there is a lot of repeated material and perhaps useless stickies where they just refer to a previous discussion. Cliff notes threads are the best. The BEST example of a good candidate for a sticky to me is the cholesterol thread by ozigal

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=937460

Take this thread, modify the title to include eggs and you will cut back MANY MANY unecessary "are eggs good for you?" threads. Another thing - titles have to be appropriate to be useful. People aren't so bright - they won't all associate cholesterol and eggs as sad as that is.

Just my thoughts - sorry for the rant
    Last edited by berardi1111; 12-12-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Although we've derailed the post a bit, there is no need to apologize for a rant.

I also don't mean to give the impression I want this to be like "wikipedia". I don't care if people ask questions that have already been asked. Some noob questions could just be covered by looking that's all....like "what is a power rack"?

You'll see what I'm talking about soon enough. Oh, and I don't like the idea of "censorship" either. I mean how does a moderator censor out redundant noob posts? I prefer to ignore the silly posts, use sarcasm, or to just give them useless advice That way everyone can enjoy an otherwise boring rethread!

But I do think a "best of" FAQ would be appropriate.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Def, I agree the sweet spot is the happy medium!

Barefooted HomeGym Lifter new2lifting's Avatar
    new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ironmasters for the win

Registered User ira_est_a_donum's Avatar
    ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    exactly...... who cares if you dont want to add your 2 cents to a new redundant thread, then dont..move on... but most will post in that thread and link it to another thread that has good info... and over time there will be more and more informed answers...the whole point of a forum like this is to share and spread info... that being said people should use the search as well... a good healthy mix of each is fine with me...i would much rather see redundant posts on interchangeable dbs than the same BS we see over and over again and again on the misc or whatever...

i like it when a newbie posts hey ive used the search function on inter change db's and i still wanna ask some people this or that bc its a big investment and i dont wanna make a bad choice...

reposts only can make us more and more informed as a workout equipment forum.....

true true - the most redundant thing is the 100s of people in each stuipd thread that post "use search" or "we've covered this"

take 10 stupid threads x the 100 stupid complaints in each stupid thread and you get:

10 people posting stupid threads
    1000 people complaining

The complaints are wasting more bandwidth than the threads. Or you could have sniping moderators taking down the threads as they popup... lol

need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I get your point. I participate in other forums more openly and spend all my time regurgitating the same crap all the time and I dont mind it. It used to bug me when folks would say, do a search, however, this topic bugs me. There are two threads discussing this issue on the main page right now. All it would require, is one simple search to find information on bowflex, ironmaster, powerblocks and spin locks, not just information but pages and pages. There is little that could be asked, that wouldnt be answered in those threads. And who the hell doesnt know about youtube now, there are demonstrations videos all over the place, people love to feel important and share their new toys. Maybe combine a few threads into a sticky and this might cut down on the excess. As then folks can post their questions specifically in one thread and isolate the topic to those that still give a rats ass to repeat themselves and answer.

I get the idea of a rolling idea, that develops but there is NOTHING MORE TO LEARN here. Its just adjustable dumbbells, not rocket science.

I think the sticky curved the rack threads somewhat.
    Last edited by need2eat; 12-13-2008 at 05:57 AM.
    "People are bastard covered bastards, with bastard fillings"

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I rarely use the search because if you ask someone a question about what they posted they might not ever show up again to answer you.