Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Challenge 3 (C3): Friends don't let friends atrophy

To all:

Welcome to the third installment of the Challenge or C3 for short. For those still thinking about it, I would highly recommend joining our band of fitness nuts. I have personally found that I have been pushed farther and harder than I have ever on my own. I'm more muscular and stronger than I ever thought possible. The community here is a very supportive and friendly environment that will both encourage and challenge you. Down below are the guidelines we follow. Please keep in mind that these are not hard and fast rules.

1)You must have a goal stated in your profile somewhere ( I want gain 5 pounds or I want to get BF to 7%) I recommend the goals to have the characteristics of being specific, challenging, have a positive approach, be measurable, are proximal and inspirational. This should help in determining what you want and ensure they become a reality.

2) You must have an updated photo at the start, and at the end of the time post an updated photo. You may also post a monthly update if desired. This really helps the group to help one another.

3) You must post your updated measurements and/or lifting stats (get as many as you can). Please pay particular attention to those stats you'll be working on.

4) This is all about motivation and helping each of us meet out goals. You will be held accountable not only too your self but each person doing this.

5) Have fun (Most important goal of all)

When determining goals, I would recommend using the SCAMPI acronym to help. Please keep in mind, this is merely one of many ways to form goals. If you have a way that works for you, then by all means still use it. But if you found yourself in a rut or have never really made goals before, please give this a try and see how it goes.

S-Specific: Goals are specific rather than vague. Add 2in on arms or 5lbs of muscle vs. be bigger or look leaner

C-Challenging: Goals should be stretch to complete, but still doable. Our bodies need to be challenged continuously in order to grow.

A-Approach: Goals should be positive oriented rather than avoidance goals. e.g. I will be lower in bf vs. I will stop eating sweets and desserts

M-Measurable: Progress can be measured. Great way to see if program is working. Not only can you make adjustments, but get excited seeing the tape measure move or you look more muscled.

P-Proximal: Goals should be a subsection of your ultimate goals. Gaining 30-40lbs of muscle for some can see like a daunting challenge. Rather than try for that all at once, try for 5-10lbs. This is another term for baby steps

I-Inspirational: Goals should inspire you to do your best and to be fully involved in your particular program. Trying for 18in arms, 50in chest or benching 315lbs inspires you to make sure your program is its best and excite you what you are doing.

In the interest of community, here is my current list of participants. This will be updated as more join.

Tim (tswills), Brian (PulgasStrongMan), Jeff (jackedinMI), Adam (Trixter747), Brook (beefyemt), Josh (jcon40), Courtney (GeminiJedi), John (dunkou9), Mikail (Mikschu), Ronald (Ronald A. Strahan), Quang (mquang), castironshore??, Dave (digger771), Dave (dpaul4553)

Here is also the link back to the journal for the second Challenge (C2):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6393681

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks and good luck.

Tim

The dates of C3 will be from 3/31 to 6/27 or 6/30 (tentative). Please note, we request that this event be a by invitation only. If you are interested in joining us, please let us know who you are so we can get to know you before letting you onboard. Thanks for your understanding.
    Last edited by tswills; 03-26-2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Updates
    You have to let it all go...fear...doubt...and disbelief. Free your mind.

I like to think I'm scary Brian92028's Avatar
    Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking A clean slate ... I like it!

Alrighty then!
    Relentless ... No retreat, no surrender!

MissionOfMassConstruction trixter747's Avatar
    trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

C3 Is GO!

Sweet! Can't wait for the last day of the month... I've got some ideas for goals but need my exact measurements first to try and set more reasonable ones. Gonna be an awesome 3 months! I have figured out my diet though... May as well get straight to some of the numbers!

Meal 1 ~5:15am
    Big Max 50 Gainer - 596 cal, 50g pro, 90g carb (26g sugar), 4g fat
    Whole Milk (16oz) - 300 cal, 16g pro, 22g carb (22g sugar) 16g fat

Pre/During Workout ~5:45am
    Full Blown Xtreme (1 scoop) - 72 cal, 0g pro, 18g carb (5g sugar), 0g fat
    SizeOn (1 scoop) - 125 cal, 0g pro, 31g carb (14.5g sugar), 0g fat

Meal 2 ~Post-Workout
    Egg Whites International (1 cup) - 120cal, 26g pro, 2g carb (2g sugar), 0g fat
    Whole Eggs (2x Medium Size) - 140cal, 12g pro, 2g carb (2g sugar), 8g fat
    Picante Sauce (2 tbsp) - 32cal, 0g pro, 6g carb (2g sugar), 2g fat
    Shredded Cheese (1/4 cup) - 100cal, 7g pro, 1g carb (0g sugar), 8g fat
    Quick Oats (1 cup dry) - 300cal, 12g pro, 52g carb (2g sugar), 5g fat
    Honey (1 tbsp) - 60 cal, 0g pro, 17g carb (16g sugar), 0g fat
    Sliced Almonds (1/4 cup) - 190cal, 7g pro, 6g carb (1g sugar), 15g fat

Meal 3 ~10:15am
    Big Max 50 Gainer w/water: 596 cal, 50g pro, 90g carb (26g sugar), 4g fat

Meal 4 ~Whenever Work Gives Me My Break
    Sirloin (8oz, top cut, trimmed to 0" fat) - 414cal, 48g pro, 0g carb (0g sugar), 24g fat
    Pasta (cooked, very light on the sauce, 10oz): 390cal, 12g pro, 77g carb (0g sugar), 7g fat
    Frozen Baby Broccoli (1/2 cup) - 15 cal, 0g pro, 2g carb (1g sugar), 0g fat

Meal 5 ~6:45pm
    Same as Meal 4

Meal 6 ~9:30pm
    Elite 12 Hour (2 scoops): 250 cal, 42g pro, 12g carb (0g sugar), 3g fat
    Quick Oats (1/2 cup dry): 150 cal, 6g pro, 27g carb (1g sugar), 2.5g fat

C3 Diet Totals: 4669 Cal, 348g Pro, 534g Carb (121.5g Sugar), 127.5g Fat
    VS
    C2 Diet Totals: 4954 Cal, 355g Pro, 538g Carb (138g Sugar), 153g Fat

So the main goal this time was to reduce the fat intake more while keeping most everything else the same. If it turns out to not be quite enough I can bump it up easily by adding a few more ounces of milk to the Meal 1 shake and also making the Meal 3 shake with milk, too. Or more oats, extra whole egg, etc. I think it'll be a bit better though and avoid raising the bodyfat much like last time. Time will tell...
    "I am responsible. Although I may not be able to prevent the worst from happening, I am responsible for my attitude toward the inevitable misfortunes that darken life. Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have - life itself." - Walter Anderson

~ Iron Troubadour ~ Ronald A. Strahan's Avatar
    Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000)

Quick Intro!

Greeting and salutations,

I just wanted to throw up a quick post to get on the board. Basically July of 2007 I hit my fattest ever and I've been cutting since then. March 14 I was 227.4, Sunday the 23 I was 244.4. I imagine I'll be at or just above 250 on April 1. I'm looking forward to concentrating on strength, growth and balls to the wall bulking for at least six weeks, when I hit 275 I'm going to have to throttle back just because I'm not ready to hit 280 again.

My goal was to gain 30 pounds in six week, and hell I'm half way there in two weeks because I stopped cardio and high rep-lifting, I'll probably get some new goals set on the first. And like I said, I'm a hard-core vLogger... Check this one out.

here's a link if you have problems palying it here,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_jQGTQo7wA

See you all in few days!
    Training for Strongman Nationals: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=563799041#post563799041

digger711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) digger711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Intro

Hey, I posted in C2, but I was invited by the Brian to do C3 and I think it would be a great thing to help work to my goals. Right now I have some general goals but for this I'd like to make them more specific--they call them SMART goals at work. I've been into bodybuilding in increasing measure for the last 2 years. I've never really been overweight but since I've been pushing the iron I feel a lot better about myself and confidence has been increasing! In general I want to gain greater control over my body, mind and spirit. I feel like if you can get control over one area of life, other areas become easier--so I'm starting with body. One thing to note, my wife if pregnant and will deliver near the end of May--so after that it's going to be hard to keep up, but I'm going to try.

When I have new info ready I'll post it up with goals and some new pics.
    www.onebuffdad.com

tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tswills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Welcome onboard Dave. I totally agree with you how much bodybuilding really changes your life and really builds confidence to tackle all the areas in our lives. I think it is a great idea to write down more specific goals. By doing so, you will have a much clearer picture of what you want and then have a better idea how to accomplish those goals. Keep us posted of what you come up with. If you need ideas or want us to review your goals, please let us know.

To all:

I forgot to put this in the main header. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to C3. Please keep yourself on track at all times and give it all you got. Six Flags Tim will not be held responsible for clothing not fitting anymore or suddenly being asked to help people move heavy objects. Dispatch and enjoy your ride.

Sorry the rollercoaster enthusiast in me came out there. Hope this makes at least some of you laugh.

Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brian92028 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ronald A. Strahan View Post
    Greeting and salutations,

I just wanted to throw up a quick post to get on the board. Basically July of 2007 I hit my fattest ever and I've been cutting since then. March 14 I was 227.4, Sunday the 23 I was 244.4. I imagine I'll be at or just above 250 on April 1. I'm looking forward to concentrating on strength, growth and balls to the wall bulking for at least six weeks, when I hit 275 I'm going to have to throttle back just because I'm not ready to hit 280 again.

My goal was to gain 30 pounds in six week, and hell I'm half way there in two weeks because I stopped cardio and high rep-lifting, I'll probably get some new goals set on the first. And like I said, I'm a hard-core vLogger... Check this one out.

See you all in few days!
    Quite a set of goals there Ronald! Aiming high ... NICE. We'll see how it cThat was a very cool video production too. It is cool to be Irish, eh? The only bummer having heritage from such a cloudy land - tanning is tough. lol ...

Originally Posted by digger711 View Post
    Hey, I posted in C2, but I was invited by the Brian to do C3 and I think it would be a great thing to help work to my goals. Right now I have some general goals but for this I'd like to make them more specific--they call them SMART goals at work. I've been into bodybuilding in increasing measure for the last 2 years. I've never really been overweight but since I've been pushing the iron I feel a lot better about myself and confidence has been increasing! In general I want to gain greater control over my body, mind and spirit. I feel like if you can get control over one area of life, other areas become easier--so I'm starting with body. One thing to note, my wife if pregnant and will deliver near the end of May--so after that it's going to be hard to keep up, but I'm going to try.

When I have new info ready I'll post it up with goals and some new pics.
    New munch kin ... very cool! Weight gain during pregnacy is not just for the ladies! I put on about 15 lbs with each kid it seems, got it off now, but we'll keep track of you! Glad to have you in!

Originally Posted by trixter747 View Post
    Sweet! Can't wait for the last day of the month... I've got some ideas for goals but need my exact measurements first to try and set more reasonable ones. Gonna be an awesome 3 months! I have figured out my diet though... May as well get straight to some of the numbers! ...

So the main goal this time was to reduce the fat intake more while keeping most everything else the same. If it turns out to not be quite enough I can bump it up easily by adding a few more ounces of milk to the Meal 1 shake and also making the Meal 3 shake with milk, too. Or more oats, extra whole egg, etc. I think it'll be a bit better though and avoid raising the bodyfat much like last time. Time will tell...
    Quite a diet Adam... I am going to level things off on my end when C3 kicks in. Up the protein some and level off the carbs. The carb cycling thing is great for taking the weight off - and it did! [next pics I am thinking are gonna be awesome], but the days when the calories dip down to 2200 are tough!

C3 is gonna rock guys ...

Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hell, why not. You guys need the oddball lifter in here and I think I fit that role well. I have photos that I took last night in my own lifting log, and plan on updating those every two weeks. As to my goals, I want to train with: 130+sandbag bench press though I am aiming for 150lbs, 150+bear hug/zercher/front squat and a 240+ deadlift/rack pull all while maintaining a weight of around 160lbs which is around my current weight right now. I'm close to some of them, but I am doing a reset for my weights and progression is much harder with sandbags, but come hell or high water I'm going to get them.

I'll be doing that with this following workout
    Back Dead 3*5, Shrugs 3*8 Pull ups 3*6 Looser form Bent over rows 3*6 Strict form one arm rows 2*6 each arm
    Chest/Shoulders- Flat Bench 5*5 Incline Bench 5*5 Overhead Press 4*6, Rear Delt flies 4*6, Lateral Raises 2*10 Front Raises 2*10
    Legs Front/Zercher Squats 5*5 Bulgarian Squats 2*5 each leg Short Stroke Static Lunges 3*6 each leg Standing Calf Raises 3*8
    Arms Skull Crushers 4*8 Tricep Dips 2*8 Strict Standing Bicep Curls 3*6 Strict Sitting Bicep Curls 2*8 Wrist Curls 3*6

I have some other goals though and that is to at least get one of my IT certs by the end of this and have an internship as well.
    New journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121476491

Originally Posted by Kion View Post
    Hell, why not. You guys need the oddball lifter in here and I think I fit that role well. I have photos that I took last night in my own lifting log, and plan on updating those every two weeks. As to my goals, I want to train with: 130+sandbag bench press though I am aiming for 150lbs, 150+bear hug/zercher/front squat and a 240+ deadlift/rack pull all while maintaining a weight of around 160lbs which is around my current weight right now. I'm close to some of them, but I am doing a reset for my weights and progression is much harder with sandbags, but come hell or high water I'm going to get them.

I'll be doing that with this following workout
    Back Dead 3*5, Shrugs 3*8 Pull ups 3*6 Looser form Bent over rows 3*6 Strict form one arm rows 2*6 each arm
    Chest/Shoulders- Flat Bench 5*5 Incline Bench 5*5 Overhead Press 4*6, Rear Delt flies 4*6, Lateral Raises 2*10 Front Raises 2*10
    Legs Front/Zercher Squats 5*5 Bulgarian Squats 2*5 each leg Short Stroke Static Lunges 3*6 each leg Standing Calf Raises 3*8
    Arms Skull Crushers 4*8 Tricep Dips 2*8 Strict Standing Bicep Curls 3*6 Strict Sitting Bicep Curls 2*8 Wrist Curls 3*6

I have some other goals though and that is to at least get one of my IT certs by the end of this and have an internship as well.
    Welcome onboard Sam/Kion. I noticed on your page you have no size stats. We do ask at the beginning of the Challenge for everyone to update their stats as much as possible. This helps to give us and yourself a better picture of where you are. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Tim (C3 Admin)

Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Goals

Hi Everyone! I'm Lisa, and it appears that I'm the first woman to join (so far)!
    So here's what I would like to work on: (I'm new to this so I'm very open to suggestions/ideas).

1. I currently weigh ~126 and by the end I would like to weigh 115 - 120. Ultimately I would like to cut back on body fat which is currently ~27%. I would like is to be 15% - 18%. I don't know if in the process of replacing fat with muslce if I will lose any weight or not.

2. My hips currently measure 37.5" and I would like to get them down to 35".

3. My arms measure 11.5" but they're pretty much all fat (I used to swim competitively and they were big then but once I stopped they stayed the same size but turned to fat). I would like to have them be solid muscle and possibly even drop an inch/tighten up. I can curl 8 lbs (I can do 10 but can't complete a full set), I would like to be able to do 12lbs by the end.

4. I want to aim to eat 80+grams of protein a day.

5. I have a work out routine (thank you Trixter!!) which I like and want to stick to. I would like to add more weight onto my routine every 3 weeks (is that too often or not often enough?). I currently can bench press 50 lbs and would like to be able to do 75 for 3 sets, 12 reps. I currently leg press 160 and would like to be able to do 250 by the end as well.

So those are my goals! If you think they're too hard or too easily attainable or not realistic or just have some ideas in general for me please let me know! I'll take some start pics soon and post them but all the ones on my page right now are pretty recent.

Thanks!
    - Lisa

trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trixter747 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Lisakay007 View Post
    So those are my goals! If you think they're too hard or too easily attainable or not realistic or just have some ideas in general for me please let me know! I'll take some start pics soon and post them but all the ones on my page right now are pretty recent.

Thanks!
    - Lisa
    I think all your goals are very reasonable. I've also got a few tricks that will increase that leg press much quicker if need be. Just ask Pixi what happens when you really slow the reps down... I know she's been thinking about hopping in here, too, and I know GJ is in as well. It'll be nice having some gals involved this time. The more the merrier and all the more knowledge to go around!
    "I am responsible. Although I may not be able to prevent the worst from happening, I am responsible for my attitude toward the inevitable misfortunes that darken life. Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have - life itself." - Walter Anderson

Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by tswills View Post
    Welcome onboard Sam/Kion. I noticed on your page you have no size stats. We do ask at the beginning of the Challenge for everyone to update their stats as much as possible. This helps to give us and yourself a better picture of where you are. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Tim (C3 Admin)
    Alright, I put up some of my stat's. Just so people don't have to go to my page, here they are. 5'8'' 159lbs, 33 waist roughly though this is an estimate given that my 34 size pants are loose, though 32's are just a little tight so 33 is my guesstimate. Is there anything else I need to put?
    New journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121476491

~Go Big or Go Home!!~ hbk442000's Avatar
    hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So what is this thread all about?

In all seriousness the group should seriously consider a incentive plan. C1 n 2 were fun...but it lacked something. We are all competive folk and nothing really drives competition like knowing there is a prize to be won. I know I would be willing to invest some BB.com Greens to folks to meet C3 challenges.

Enjoy your transformation everyone.

Abe
    "If the bar ain't bendin ur just pretendin"

Chi10-10-10

Thumbs up

Hi Everyone! I'm Lisa, and it appears that I'm the first woman to join (so far)! ...
    Thanks!
    - Lisa
    Welcome Lisa!!!

There is another lady, GeminiJedi, that is fix'en to join us as well.

Congrats on the goals ... that is the first step!

GeminiJedi will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeminiJedi will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeminiJedi will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeminiJedi will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeminiJedi will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeminiJedi will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeminiJedi will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeminiJedi will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeminiJedi will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeminiJedi will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeminiJedi will become famous soon enough. (+50)

A Little Slow...

Yea, yea, I'm here. Just a bit slow on the posting part

Ummm...goals. <10% body fat for competition, mainly. That will drop some size, but hopefully not too much. Exact numbers to come; they'll be up by the 1st (or are we starting that Monday instead?)

Hi Everyone! I'm Lisa, and it appears that I'm the first woman to join (so far)!
    So here's what I would like to work on: (I'm new to this so I'm very open to suggestions/ideas).

1. I currently weigh ~126 and by the end I would like to weigh 115 - 120. Ultimately I would like to cut back on body fat which is currently ~27%. I would like is to be 15% - 18%. I don't know if in the process of replacing fat with muslce if I will lose any weight or not.

2. My hips currently measure 37.5" and I would like to get them down to 35".

3. My arms measure 11.5" but they're pretty much all fat (I used to swim competitively and they were big then but once I stopped they stayed the same size but turned to fat). I would like to have them be solid muscle and possibly even drop an inch/tighten up. I can curl 8 lbs (I can do 10 but can't complete a full set), I would like to be able to do 12lbs by the end.

4. I want to aim to eat 80+grams of protein a day.

5. I have a work out routine (thank you Trixter!!) which I like and want to stick to. I would like to add more weight onto my routine every 3 weeks (is that too often or not often enough?). I currently can bench press 50 lbs and would like to be able to do 75 for 3 sets, 12 reps. I currently leg press 160 and would like to be able to do 250 by the end as well.

Thanks!
    - Lisa
    Welcome aboard Lisa. Those are some very good goals you got there. I totally think those goals are realistic. I think one of the biggest obstacles to people not achieving their goals is thinking they can't do it. That is, we develop barriers in our minds to what is possible. One of the biggest goals of these Challenges is challenging those preconceptions.

Another important thing to know about goals is they are never static, especially short term goals. My goals get adjusted quite a bit. By setting these first set of goals, you can make adjustments as necessary to make goals that are both challenging and achievable. This is where I have fun with tweaking my program around.

You have to let it all go Lisa. Fear...doubt...and disbelief. Free your mind.

Originally Posted by Kion View Post
    Alright, I put up some of my stat's. Just so people don't have to go to my page, here they are. 5'8'' 159lbs, 33 waist roughly though this is an estimate given that my 34 size pants are loose, though 32's are just a little tight so 33 is my guesstimate. Is there anything else I need to put?
    That is a good start. It may be good for you to obtain measurements on other areas such as chest, arms, thighs, etc. You can either get a tailor's tape or you can get a MyoTape from BB.com (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/acc/myotape.html). The last one is my personal favorite and is pretty cheap ($5) here on BB.com. The Myotape is really great at doing measurements on your own. I find it very helpful in seeing how my overall program is working. Nothing compares to the excitement as seeing that tape measure move over time. When I saw the tape measure on my arms hit 16.5in, I was driven even more to really hit my arms nice and good. If you need any help with the measurements, there is lots of good articles here on BB.com and I am willing to answer any questions. You may have to pass on bf% and shoulders as those aren't that easy to get a measurement.

Thumbs up Fear...doubt...and disbelief. Free your mind.

Had an episode of fear, doubt and disbelief just yesterday... I was loading up the bar at the squat rack with what I thought was the right - 245. I was shooting for 15 reps. 12 reps was a struggle last week. Three more reps would make my day. Did a couple of sets of warm ups prior and got in a good set of leg extentions in for pre-exhaust. Stepped under the bar and got 14 good reps and didn't think I should go further... "Cr@p!" I thought. Then, after the blood got back into my head and I could think, I stepped away from the bar and realized my math was a bit off. I was acutually pushing up 265 not 245. NICE!

Fear - that I didn't get the daily goal done.
    Doubt - what I am up to ain't working.
    Disbelief - I was actually working out with 20 lbs more than I thought I could.
    Freeing one's mind - tricking it looks too be a good idea. I didn't struggle with the extra 20 lbs. The mind is where the battle is. The body is capable.

Next week - 290 lbs on the bar is obviously the place to go.

Goals for C3? Going for strenght this lap around the track and keeping the body fat where it is at. Size will come. Specifics to follow.

Looking forward to working with you all ... very cool!
    Last edited by PulgasStrongMan; 03-27-2008 at 06:50 AM.

SWEET! Sounds like we shall have some challenging goodness with squats this round, my friend!

Originally Posted by PulgasStrongMan View Post
    Had an episode of fear, doubt and disbelief just yesterday... I was loading up the bar at the squat rack with what I thought was the right - 245. I was shooting for 15 reps. 12 reps was a struggle last week. Three more reps would make my day. Did a couple of sets of warm ups prior and got in a good set of leg extentions in for pre-exhaust. Stepped under the bar and got 14 good reps and didn't think I should go further... "Cr@p!" I thought. Then, after the blood got back into my head and I could think, I stepped away from the bar and realized my math was a bit off. I was acutually pushing up 265 not 245. NICE!

Fear - that I didn't get the daily goal done.
    Doubt - what I am up to ain't working.
    Disbelief - I was actually working out with 20 lbs more than I thought I could.
    Freeing one's mind - tricking it looks too be a good idea. I didn't struggle with the extra 20 lbs. The mind is where the battle is. The body is capable.

Goals for C3? Going for strenght this lap around the track and keeping the body fat where it is at. Size will come. Specifics to follow.

Looking forward to working with you all ... very cool!
    Excellent job Brian! This totally follows about the barriers in our minds. It is events such as this that challenge those barriers and even blows them clean out of the water. Ok man, lets see you do 290lbs for 10 next time. Lets see it big man!

Originally Posted by hbk442000 View Post
    So what is this thread all about?

In all seriousness the group should seriously consider a incentive plan. C1 n 2 were fun...but it lacked something. We are all competive folk and nothing really drives competition like knowing there is a prize to be won. I know I would be willing to invest some BB.com Greens to folks to meet C3 challenges.

Enjoy your transformation everyone.

Abe
    This could be a good idea. I, however, would personally be opposed to it. The Challenge is more about competing against oneself and having others encourage that person. Also, my financial status is possibly going to be a bit shaky in the coming months. So I really couldn't contribute.

However my opinion aside, I would encourage people if they want to to develop and participate in some sort of incentive plan, but make it optional for those participating in the overall Challenge. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

~ Iron Troubadour ~ Ronald A. Strahan's Avatar
    Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronald A. Strahan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by PulgasStrongMan View Post

Brian, it's so cool that you got that lift and then got the rush of realizing your strength

Originally Posted by tswills View Post
    This could be a good idea. I, however, would personally be opposed to it. The Challenge is more about competing against oneself and having others encourage that person. Also, my financial status is possibly going to be a bit shaky in the coming months. So I really couldn't contribute.
    I second that,

I was led here under the understanding that is was a group of guys who just loved to lift. From a new-commers point of view, realizing goals is incentive enough. And, I'm going to lose my job soon...

-Mr. Strahan
    Last edited by Ronald A. Strahan; 03-27-2008 at 12:52 PM.
    Training for Strongman Nationals: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=563799041#post563799041

Swinging on to a new diet

Hey Guys -

I am going to hop off the carb cycling here soon ... it has worked well, but I am certain that I need to get some more protein in me. Carb cycling had me between 150 and 180g a day for protein, carbs were 300 to 550g a day and fats were pretty low overall 60 to 90g daily. Calories were between 2000 and 3600 daily up to this point.

Here are the new diet numbers:

Calories: 3463, Protein: 199.5g, Carbs: 421g, Fats: 142.5g

Intake percentages: Protein 26%, Carbs 55%, Fats 19%

Carbs are coming from brown and white rice, yams and barley.
    Protein is coming from protein powders, chicken tuna and milk products.
    Fats are coming from milk products [cottage cheese and yogurt] and dressings I use to make the bland tasty.

No cycling going on in the new.

Let me know if that looks about right or if I should tweak it. I might add a bit more protein later if I find the new stable intake does not result in any weight gain. I am about a gram per pound of protein in the new diet.

Thanks!
    Brian

hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Incentives

When I stated incentives I didn't mean using real money. I meant adding reputation notification to a persons profile for a job well done, increasing their fitness and/or nutional knowledge. Yes that would be the green squares in your profile.

As for challenges I disagree with the group. A problem with these type of set up is that the group is not encouraged or able to seek additional information. I'm talking about additional info beyond their workout. These challenges can be built around fitness, nutional information, etc and encourage folks to grow their knowledge base beyond their own workout routine, etc.

I know of plenty professional bodybuilders (male/female), supp reps, nutrional scientist who could provide info. The challenge would be limited to C3 cast. Its a fun way of educating oneself and having some fun.

Again as person who has gone through two challenges I was adding some input...from what I experienced and saw. The theme is to free the mind..right

Just adding another opinion to the mix.
    Last edited by hbk442000; 03-27-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Chi10-10-10

Abe!

I have actually been greatly encouraged by what we have been doing and getting some great tips and others I have invited are quite excited about what we are up to and are hopping in.

It has been pretty cool picking each others brains about what the others have been up to and how they are doing what they are doing. I am not sure how "greens" could be an incentive. I have been passing them out pretty liberally to everybody that hops in and makes an effort to participate. Maybe I have not been doing that right [?].

Originally Posted by hbk442000 View Post
    When I stated incentives I didn't mean using real money. I meant adding reputation notification to a persons profile for a job well done, increasing their fitness and/or nutional knowledge. Yes that would be the green squares in your profile.

As for challenges I disagree with the group. A problem with these type of set up is that the group is not encouraged or able to seek additional information. These challenges can be built around fitness, nutional information, etc and encourage folks to grow their knowledge base beyond their own workout routine, etc.

Again as person who has gone through two challenges I was adding some input...from what I experienced and saw. If you want to free the mind one has to be willing to learn.

Anyways I won't beat a dead horse.
    Last edited by PulgasStrongMan; 03-27-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Registered User pixiglittrpants's Avatar
    pixiglittrpants is on a distinguished road. (+10) pixiglittrpants is on a distinguished road. (+10) pixiglittrpants is on a distinguished road. (+10) pixiglittrpants is on a distinguished road. (+10) pixiglittrpants is on a distinguished road. (+10) pixiglittrpants is on a distinguished road. (+10) pixiglittrpants is on a distinguished road. (+10) pixiglittrpants is on a distinguished road. (+10) pixiglittrpants is on a distinguished road. (+10) pixiglittrpants is on a distinguished road. (+10) pixiglittrpants is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi everyone... Trixter and GJ gave me the heads up on this challenge, so I hope you don't mind if I join in on the fun, too! From what I read on C2, everyone definitely seems encouraging and the accountability aspect is great, so it's hard to not want to join! Since my main objective is to get back to marathons without getting re-injured (as well as gaining some big ol' guns), here are my goals for C3:

1) Run 80 miles in April, and then 100 miles in May and June, and bike 100 miles each month (probably 120 in April thanks to my obsession with 4's ). I'm currently running 60 miles/month (probably 70+ by end of this month), biking 100+.

2) Trixter constantly designs workouts that I'm very fond of (at least after the fact!), so I'm going to stick with upper body weights at least 2x a week and legs 1x a week (alternating cardio days with weights days). The goal is to do 1 unassisted pull-up by the end of C3, though I'm not gonna lie - I would love to bicep curl 25 lb. db's and use the 30 or 35 lb. barbell for skullcrushers by the end! Right now I'm doing most exercises (shoulder presses, bicep curls, tricep extensions) with 17.5 db's comfortably, though back, chest, and legs are stronger (80 lbs. for upright row, 60 lb. chest press, 50 lb. booty kickbacks, 180 leg press, etc.).

3) Diet of 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat, though carbs will probably higher for the day or so before a long run. Keep it as unprocessed as possible (protein's the biggest challenge, since I'm a pescatarian and allergic to whey (I've recently learned!)).

4) Currently 120-121, so if I could drop 5 pounds that would be awesome, but I'm more concerned with dropping bf% - I'm thinking 14-15% is realistic (about a 3-4% drop? I'm going to take stats and pics on Sunday), though 12-13% is most ideal.

I think the best way to help keep me accountable with all 4 aspects is daily logging of every input and output, so I intend to do so (most likely using fitday.com for the cardio/diet and the workout tracker here for the weights).

Any suggestions or concerns is greatly appreciated! And responding to Trixter's comment to Lisa about torture tempo workouts (where you count 6-0-6 on the leg press especially) - it's BRUTAL!! But you most definitely get results... even if it is cursing Trixter out at the moment.

Can't wait to get this started and to get to know everyone better!
    Last edited by pixiglittrpants; 03-27-2008 at 03:51 PM.

I've added by .02 cents. The subject is dropped.

Chi10-10-10

Welcome Pixi! You are even in my neck of the woods ... I'm up in Fallbrook.

Very cool ... look forward to seeing how you do!
    Brian

Originally Posted by pixiglittrpants View Post
    Hi everyone... Trixter and GJ gave me the heads up on this challenge, so I hope you don't mind if I join in on the fun, too! From what I read on C2, everyone definitely seems encouraging and the accountability aspect is great, so it's hard to not want to join! Since my main objective is to get back to marathons without getting re-injured (as well as gaining some big ol' guns), here are my goals for C3:

1) Run 80 miles in April, and then 100 miles in May and June, and bike 100 miles each month (probably 120 in April thanks to my obsession with 4's ). I'm currently running 60 miles/month (probably 70+ by end of this month), biking 100+.

2) Trixter constantly designs workouts that I'm very fond of (at least after the fact!), so I'm going to stick with upper body weights at least 2x a week and legs 1x a week (alternating cardio days with weights days). The goal is to do 1 unassisted pull-up by the end of C3, though I'm not gonna lie - I would love to bicep curl 25 lb. db's and use the 30 or 35 lb. barbell for skullcrushers by the end! Right now I'm doing most exercises (shoulder presses, bicep curls, tricep extensions) with 17.5 db's comfortably, though back, chest, and legs are stronger (80 lbs. for upright row, 60 lb. chest press, 50 lb. booty kickbacks, 180 leg press, etc.).

3) Diet of 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat, though carbs will probably higher for the day or so before a long run. Keep it as unprocessed as possible (protein's the biggest challenge, since I'm a pescatarian and allergic to whey (I've recently learned!)).

4) Currently 120-121, so if I could drop 5 pounds that would be awesome, but I'm more concerned with dropping bf% - I'm thinking 14-15% is realistic (about a 3-4% drop? I'm going to take stats and pics on Sunday), though 12-13% is most ideal.

I think the best way to help keep me accountable with all 4 aspects is daily logging of every input and output, so I intend to do so (most likely using fitday.com for the cardio/diet and the workout tracker here for the weights).

Any suggestions or concerns is greatly appreciated! And responding to Trixter's comment to Lisa about torture tempo workouts (where you count 6-0-6 on the leg press especially) - it's BRUTAL!! But you most definitely get results... even if it is cursing Trixter out at the moment.

Can't wait to get this started and to get to know everyone better!

beefyemt is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefyemt is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefyemt is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefyemt is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefyemt is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefyemt is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefyemt is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefyemt is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefyemt is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefyemt is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefyemt is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Hello to all!

For those who don't know me yet. I had recently gain 30 pounds. Mostly fat it seems!
    I have changed up my diet during C2 and am now down 20 pounds at 173.
    My goal will simply be to end up at 8% BF by the end of C3.
    I am currently at about 14% or so. I spent 2 days eating hospital food with the birth of my second child who was born on the 25th! We are back home an the diet is in full effect again.
    I will post a pic at the end of C2 and this will be my begining pic for C3.
    I wish you all the best on your goals!
    5x5

frydaddy4668 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would liek to take this challenge with you guys if possible...

thanks

sf
    GO LEAN...STAY TIGHT...KEEP THE GOAL IN SIGHT

Phil 4:13

Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisakay007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by pixiglittrpants View Post

Oh no! Is this the dreaded torture tempo I've been hearing all about?? If it gets results I want to do it! Since I've only been lifting for a couple weeks now is it too early for me to try some of this stuff? I don't want to hurt myself but I do want to see some of those results Pixi's got!

Originally Posted by beefyemt View Post
    I am currently at about 14% or so. I spent 2 days eating hospital food with the birth of my second child who was born on the 25th! We are back home an the diet is in full effect again.
    Congratulations!! How exciting!! However, hospital food is the worst. I'm glad that you're all back home and I'm sure you'll be able to get back on track very shortly.