bebyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need help for my sister...

My sister is 5'9" and currently weighs approx. 165 lbs. She carries MOST of her weight in her stomach and back (very large and rounded). She has also developed arthritis in both knees, and any bending of the knee joint is painful. She has had a trainer for the past year, but I don't get the feeling that he is showing her how to train her body properly (based on what she tells me that they do).

I'll be visiting her in a couple weeks and she's asked me to show her a routine that she can work with since she wants to get rid of her trainer. I'm 5'2", 100 lbs. and know how to train myself, but I'm lost as to what to show her. I know that she can lose weight in adjustments to her diet - which I can show her. But as far as exercises with her problem knees and to help her with her torso...I'm clueless.

I don't write much on the forum, but I read through it several times a day. I would really appreciate any help. She has become extremely depressed about her weight and I would really like to help her out. Thanks a lot!

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What is she doing now with her trainer? What is causing her problems?

I strongly believe that the big compound lifts like squat, deadlift, bench press, dips etc are best, but especially if you have dodgy knees, you need to be spot on with your form.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

Her trainer told her NOT to train her legs at all because of her knee pain and so they only train her uppder body. He used to have her do low reps with high weight, but recently told her she should do lower weights with high reps to "burn the weight off her upper body." She meets him twice a week to do upper body, and she does the crosstrainer twice a week.

As far as the pain goes, the doctor says that she has developed arthirits in both knees. Coincidentally, after she put on most of her weight a couple years ago, the knee pain started.

I also agree that with proper form, she shouldn't feel knee pain...but I'm not the one with the pain and I don't want to have her do something that could make things worse. Thanks!

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Her trainer sounds like a twit.

No legs at all??? That definitely doesn't sound right. Even if she's not doing squats, you'd think he would have her doing isolation or isometic exercises.

I've spent years dealing with knee problems, including torn ligaments, worn cartlidge and all sorts of other things. In the end, what has me pain-free was specific isometic knee exercises followed by lots of squats and lunges etc. I love the leg press, but find it can hurt my knees. Squats may hurt my ego, since I can't lift the weights I'd like, but my knees thank me.

Thanks Eileen! I just wanted to see if anyone on the board had experience with this. I will look into some isometric exercises and have her try them out.

For the upper body, are lower weights with high reps the way to go?

They sound great, if you want to make a training session last all day. For an effective workout, I'd lift mostly heavy, with an occasional light day for recovery or change of pace.