Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Punching the heavy bag bad for joints?

so I have heard that if you punch alot you may get arthritis because it is bad for the joints, thats why they suggest you dont punch walls. But punching the heavy bag is a really great at home workout and plus you develope muscle memory and punch harder. So is this a risk or not?

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

i think the pros outweigh the cons..... kick his ass seabass!
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dune Messiah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    they may at the momment but not when your 50 and you feel like your hands are falling off

I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)

Wink

Originally Posted by Dune Messiah View Post
    they may at the momment but not when your 50 and you feel like your hands are falling off
    ok so dont then.

your good at this answering questions thing

Wink

your good at this answering questions thing
    better than all the other replies youve gotten.

CycloneJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycloneJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycloneJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycloneJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycloneJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycloneJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycloneJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycloneJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycloneJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycloneJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycloneJack is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ballys Trainer View Post
    better than all the other replies youve gotten.
    Haha reps

To the OP: everything has a downside somewhere, decide if punching the bag is worth chancing arthritis later in life...Man up and make a decision
    Straps and wraps

de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CycloneJack View Post
    Haha reps

To the OP: everything has a downside somewhere, decide if punching the bag is worth chancing arthritis later in life...Man up and make a decision
    IMO it would be worth it to build the hands and wrists up enough to not break your hand whenever you need to fight.

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by de_barathrum View Post
    IMO it would be worth it to build the hands and wrists up enough to not break your hand whenever you need to fight.
    QFT

Besides, i'm sure that if you punch mainly the softer part(the higher up you go, the softer) then it wouldn't be quite so bad.

I was practicing some combos with some leg kicks last time and one of my low kicks hit the very bottom of the bag. Needless to say i needed to rest a good 15 seconds before going at it again.

M_Ainsworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) M_Ainsworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) M_Ainsworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) M_Ainsworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) M_Ainsworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) M_Ainsworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) M_Ainsworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) M_Ainsworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) M_Ainsworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) M_Ainsworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) M_Ainsworth will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    now someone correct me if im wrong, but i heard that the inside of your bones have kinda of a honeycomb look about them and when punching on hard objects like a heavy bag that u crush those little honeycombs inside your bone, BUT the good news is that when they build back up they build back stronger and ready for even more punishment then before.....i personally have worked on heavy bags for more then 5 years, busted several blood vessels in my hand, and my knuckles are so rough now from being cut and scraped i could probably rub them together and start a fire, my opinion is it will make your hands stronger so punch heavy bag and punch it hard

akbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) akbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) akbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) akbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) akbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) akbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) akbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) akbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) akbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) akbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) akbar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i really don't know if you'll get arthritis by punching the bag, maybe scrape the skin off your knuckles how M Ains did and/or punch it wrong and hurt your wrist if your didn't type it right. If you don't want to risk it... do shadow boxing with dumbbells like the random noobs you see at the gym.

one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "a honeycomb look about them and when punching on hard objects like a heavy bag that u crush those little honeycombs inside your bone, BUT the good news is that when they build back up they build back stronger and ready for even more punishment then before."

I've read this also. You need to warm up before going all out, it's important to protect your wrists from sprains. You could also tape your wrists or use gloves with wrist supports. The speed bag is a killer work out, if you want to burn some calories.

I sweat BCAAs and sea H2O JoeyTS's Avatar
    JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    everyone is different, but when I was hitting the bag alot, that is the same period of time when I got a serious shoulder injury in the weight room. I think it is hard on the joints, and in my case, left me more open for the injury.
    Upper/Lower program write-up:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160554001&p=1215242691&viewfull=1#post1215242691

Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am currently in wrist rehab after 2 weeks off lifting thanks to a punch bag injury. Its impact on the joints and when you get tired there is a chance you could hit it wrong and jar your wrist like I did.

Is it worth it? Will I be going back to my heavy bag?

Yeah, otherwise I would have to run or something. Just make sure you stay focused at all times. A slackening of the wrist or tried "flailing" could lead to your wrist being jarred like mine.
    My powerlifting and death/thrash metal log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141720221&p=843503391&posted=1#post843503391

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    so I have heard that if you punch alot you may get arthritis because it is bad for the joints, thats why they suggest you dont punch walls. But punching the heavy bag is a really great at home workout and plus you develope muscle memory and punch harder. So is this a risk or not?
    Is this something you heard from some guy on the street or was there a study done?

Learn proper boxing mechanics and you chance for injury will greatly decrease. Watch something by Bas Rutten. He is an excellent coach and uses the heavy bag in his workouts.

If you are still worried, why not kick box the heavy bag? Instead of just using punches, you would use elbows, knees, kicks, etc.

Registered User STDsInUrHardDrive's Avatar
    STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Lay a padded bench against the wall, and have at it. Also, professional boxers RARELY extend their arms all the way in a punch, most joint damage comes from fully extended limbs taking stress.

pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anything in excess can cause some kind of problems. Dont hit it for hours on end. Get a speed bag, double ended bag, etc and alternate between each one. Each has its strengths and all of them provide a good workout.

You dont puch walls because it is your joints taking 99.99% of the impact. With a bag there is some give and your hand is not taking nearly as much of the impact. For even less impact use gloves.

Registered User STDsInUrHardDrive's Avatar
    STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) STDsInUrHardDrive has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Talking

Heh, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Punching a wall, unless you break the wall, is just coming right back at you through your arm. Sound healthy much?

Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Wrap your wrists.

Originally Posted by xxoddxx View Post
    Heh, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Punching a wall, unless you break the wall, is just coming right back at you through your arm. Sound healthy much?
    thats true but a hard heavy bag I dont think will be that much different from a wall, unless you send it swinging

Originally Posted by Vadim Beliaev View Post
    Wrap your wrists.
    hmm will that absorb the impact?

X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hmm will that absorb the impact?
    No, but it offers a lot of hand and wrist support and will greatly reduce your chance of getting an injury. Boxing gloves would also be a good idea, because they will absorb a lot of the impact.

thats true, I might punch in boxing gloves

X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thats true, I might punch in boxing gloves
    I train for MMA and myself and all of the other MMA fighters that I train with use wrist wraps and boxing gloves (not MMA gloves) whenever working the heavy bag. Simply because the boxing gloves give the extra shock absorption, and because it's pretty easy to get a hand/wrist injury without the wraps.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Talking

Originally Posted by papi93 View Post
    Is this something you heard from some guy on the street or was there a study done?

Learn proper boxing mechanics and you chance for injury will greatly decrease. Watch something by Bas Rutten. He is an excellent coach and uses the heavy bag in his workouts.

If you are still worried, why not kick box the heavy bag? Instead of just using punches, you would use elbows, knees, kicks, etc.
    Nothing like going Tung Po style on the ol' heavy bag.

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    shouldn't punching bags be hung from a sealing so you can move around it?

mattman is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattman is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattman is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattman is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattman is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattman is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattman is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattman is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattman is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattman is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    there is an ex-navy seal at my gym and after his workouts he goes home and punches a heavy bag for 1 to 2 hours! he enters fighting competitions and kicks his opponents asses in seconds and wins trophys. he is bad ass lol.

i'd love to do other physical stuff like this other than working out buy my muscles don't allow it cause they are always sore from working out.

SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Mike Tysons was known for having horrible joints, that's why he fought with his teeth.

aikmanr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would suggest to not punch walls as a general rule in life. Broken hands suck.

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I love heavy bag work. I always wear gloves. It's a big part of my cardio and lets me focus on using my stronger muscles to pack a more powerful punch.

I'm a Tae Kwon Do black belt, so I do some hand and foot strikes and combinations. Keeps that part of my training sharp.