Page 1 of 151 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

MJW's Most Excellent Workout Adventure

Welcome to MJWís Most Excellent Workout Adventure, my second workout journal on this forum. I hope all of you that were with me on my last ride will be on board for this one. New readers are welcome, as well. Iím excited about starting off the new year with a new workout program and journal. In an effort to answer as many questions ahead of time as possible, Iím going to go into some detail about my background and training plans below.

Background
    My last journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=829750
    Although I had lifted on and off throughout my college years, my first experience with a tried and true program began in June 2006 when I took on Mark Rippetoeís Starting Strength. Not only did all of my lifts improve tremendously in the five months I spent on this program, I gained a much needed sense of direction with my training and a new perspective on my own abilities. I learned that patience and persistence does pay off, and that I should never underestimate myself. After 20 weeks of Starting Strength, I ďgraduatedĒ to a Bill Starr 5x5 beginner program for seven weeks. My lifts continued to improve, but my back and hamstrings were taking a beating from the volume and frequency of lower body work. Iím ready to switch gears and try something new.

Injuries/Ailments
    This is old news to those that read my previous journal, but I have a history of back problems. Back in 2000 I was in a car wreck and my back was jarred pretty badly. Since then, my back has gone out on me a number of times and is a weekly annoyance with stiffness and tightness. This makes squatting and lower body work a challenge at times, but thus far Iíve been able to do a pretty good job of working around my limitations and not allowing them to stop me. However, I must always be mindful of my back, and some of the changes/adjustments I make to my training will often reflect this.

Current Stats
    My lifts are far from earth shattering, but I have come a long way from where I began in June and have worked very hard and am miles from where I began. My starting lifts from June are shown in parenthesis (all lbs x 5 reps):

Squat: 205 (95)
    Deadlift: 265 (115)
    Bench press: 165 (105)
    Bent row: 145 (70)
    Overhead press: 100 (55)

Ht: 5í11
    Wt: 202 (176)
    BF%: Yes

Obviously, I still have a lot of work to do and I am very much a beginner in terms of where my lifts are at. Based on the reports Iíve seen, the program I plan on starting out with should do a great job of pushing those numbers up even further.

The Plan
    I will kick things off with the Ďsimple, power-based routineí found on Iron Addictís site:
    http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8050. I am making a few slight adjustments, but nothing major. Iíll be doing 45 degree hyperextensions for my posterior chain exercise after squats. Front squats will replace leg presses on deadlift day for now. For the supplemental dumbbell presses, I am starting off with 3x8 rather than 4x8 because I want to try a set/rep rotation with them. Due to the amount of pressing movements on the upper body days, Iím going to replace one of the shoulder presses with lateral raises.

This is a change of pace from the Rippetoe/5x5 methodology Iíve been using for the past seven months. The lifts are spread out on a nine day schedule and each muscle group is hit directly every five days. I am hoping this format will be a little more forgiving on my back and lower body. As time goes on and I gain experience, I will start making changes based on what I like, what is working for me, and what I know has worked for me in the past. Eventually, Iíd like to piece together a system of training that utilizes some of the methodologies Iíve liked about everything Iíve tried so far. For example, I might someday follow a 5x5 program on a nine day rotation. This journal is all about me trying out new things in order to better set the stage for the years to come . Keep this in mind as you read my journal and, when appropriate, feel free to make suggestions based on what has worked for you.

Diet
    This is not something I am going to belabor in my journal Ė at least not for now. Judging by the weight Iíve gained in the last seven months, as well as my progress in the gym, eating enough food usually isnít a problem for me. Yes, I do have some body fat I need to keep at bay. No, I am not planning on going on any sort of strict ďcuttingĒ diet any time soon. Instead, I plan on making subtle adjustments as I see fit and will accept the fact that there are tradeoffs. Specific questions about my diet, as well as any unsolicited diet advice, will be directed back to this paragraph.

Supplements
    Iím not a big supplement guy. Hereís what Iím currently using:

Protein powder: Nitrean (all purpose); Syntrax Nectar (post-workout)
    Carb/creatine/taurine mix from True Protein (post-workout Ė switching to something else after my supply runs out)
    Multivitamin
    Fish oil caps
    Vitamin C

If you canít tell by now, I tend to be a little long winded. Hopefully Iíve covered most of my bases here. Now itís time to get to down to businessÖ.

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

week one, day one

Power-based Program by Iron Addict
    Rotation One, Workout A

Back Squat
    5x95
    4x115
    3x140
    2x160

5x185
    5x185

Weighted Hyperextensions -45 degrees-
    10x(BW+40)
    10x(BW+40)
    10x(BW+40)

Yates Rows
    6x115
    6x115
    6x115
    6x115

Incline Dumbbell Curls
    8x20s
    8x20s
    8x20s

Donkey Calf Raise
    15x360
    15x360
    15x360

NOTES
    So it begins. I got to squat today for the first time in the new Chuck Taylor’s my girlfriend bought me for Christmas. They felt great. Very comfortable and light. They really help to keep me from leaning forward and allow me to push more through my heels. I started at 90% of my five rep max and plan to work my way back up over the next four weeks using the 2x5 scheme. I’m doing the same for deadlifts. Everything went fairly easy today. I got a good burn in my lower back and hamstrings from the weighted hypers. Yates rows will take a little getting used to. The range of motion was a lot shorter than I thought it would be. If I don’t like them I won’t keep them, but I wanted to try them out. I wanted to use the 25s for incline curls but they were already in use and I was getting impatient. The 20s were really easy.

The gym was packed today. All the treadmills and machines were in use, so I guess the New Years resolution crowd is in full force already – a sea of unhealthy, out of shape people making empty self promises. When you see a need for change in your life, make the change when you identify the problem rather than on some arbitrary calendar date.

That’s all for today. Chest, shoulders and triceps on Wednesday.
    Last edited by mjw8204; 01-01-2007 at 02:13 PM.

-chris2- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -chris2- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -chris2- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -chris2- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -chris2- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -chris2- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -chris2- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -chris2- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -chris2- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -chris2- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -chris2- is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    *subscribed* Good luck with the new program!

Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Subscribed. You're going to really like this routine. As much as I know 5x5 and Rippetoe work great, they don't allow for much flexibility. I know that once I've exhausted my gains on programs such as the above I'm going to be doing something simple along the lines of this again and just play with exercises and volume that I know I can "feel", or handle, or progress with the easiest - instead of what a spreadsheet says (obviously not straying from the basic compounds). This program is flexible as you have already realized so you should learn a lot more about yourself most definately. Best of luck Matt.
    Last edited by Khryz; 01-01-2007 at 03:28 PM.
    I've still got a lot to learn.

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Cool, a new mjw journal. I'm in.

Loves heavy stuff Yorkshire Lad's Avatar
    Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The Chuck Taylor's are indeed great for squatting for the reasons you say.
    My Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=968826

PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000)
    *subscribed* good luck with the new year sir!

Love the journal name. lol.
    Excellence is the result of Caring more than others think is Wise; Risking more than others think is Safe. Dreaming more than others think is Practical and Expecting more than others think is Possible.

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yea!

*subscribed*
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

Location: On the Ho Chi Min Trail Sippin on a 40oz of Old English 800, Vietnam
    MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I thought the title would be "MJW's Biceps Journey to being Swole Biaatcchees"

Definitely subscribed
    Death is winning. Do something.- Sam Boyd

PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MISSINGLINK View Post

Definitely subscribed

Or atleast something involving the smith machine... =P

Im going to try the smith this week for shoulder pressing! mwahaha
    Excellence is the result of Caring more than others think is Wise; Risking more than others think is Safe. Dreaming more than others think is Practical and Expecting more than others think is Possible.

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mjw8204 View Post
    When you see a need for change in your life, make the change when you identify the problem rather than on some arbitrary calendar date.
    LOL. Totally. I never understood all the excitement around New Years. Sure, new year. Big deal. You're most likely still the same person you were last year, so what's gonna change? Unless you get off your ass and decide that everyday is important, not just January 1, nothing is gonna change.

Good workout. Can't wait to see how you respond to a little more lower back recovery. I think it will be a good thing for you. Wanna see 3 plate deads here.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

Originally Posted by -chris2- View Post
    *subscribed* Good luck with the new program!
    Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    Cool, a new mjw journal. I'm in.
    Originally Posted by PhreEkGarden View Post
    *subscribed* good luck with the new year sir!

Love the journal name. lol.
    Originally Posted by Lencho View Post
    Yea!

*subscribed*

Definitely subscribed
    Thanks for subscribing guys. I'm glad to have all of you aboard.

Phreek: I thought the journal title had a nice vintage feel to it, lol. My girlfriend helped me name it.

Link: You should try those incline dumbbell curls sometime. They really hit teh biceptz.

Originally Posted by Khryz View Post
    Subscribed. You're going to really like this routine. As much as I know 5x5 and Rippetoe work great, they don't allow for much flexibility. I know that once I've exhausted my gains on programs such as the above I'm going to be doing something simple along the lines of this again and just play with exercises and volume that I know I can "feel", or handle, or progress with the easiest - instead of what a spreadsheet says (obviously not straying from the basic compounds). This program is flexible as you have already realized so you should learn a lot more about yourself most definately. Best of luck Matt.
    Thanks, Khryz. I think I'll like this format. Like you said, it's very flexible and will allow me to make adjustments in the volume/programming without changing the entire face of my training. There are so many different things I can do with this, and the wheels in my head are already turning, lol. I can see myself using this basic setup indefinitely.
    Originally Posted by Yorkshire Lad View Post
    The Chuck Taylor's are indeed great for squatting for the reasons you say.
    They're like the gift that keeps on giving. I really like them.
    Originally Posted by VikingMan View Post
    LOL. Totally. I never understood all the excitement around New Years. Sure, new year. Big deal. You're most likely still the same person you were last year, so what's gonna change? Unless you get off your ass and decide that everyday is important, not just January 1, nothing is gonna change.
    I don't get caught up in all the New Years hype either. I spent a quiet evening with my girlfriend on NY Eve. We just cooked dinner together and watched a movie. Last year I went to bed early without even watching the ball drop. I turned on the TV, saw some countdown hosted by Carson Daily and promptly turned it off, lol. It's just a bunch of commercialized nonsense. Nothing more.
    Originally Posted by VikingMan View Post
    Good workout. Can't wait to see how you respond to a little more lower back recovery. I think it will be a good thing for you. Wanna see 3 plate deads here.
    Thanks. I really think the extra lower body recovery time will do well for me. I may add some more intensive stuff later, but I want to see how a lighter impact exercise like hypers work for a while. Working on those three plate deads. I'm starting with lower weight since I'm doing 2x5 now, but I'll get there.

Analysis paralysis Lifting N Tx's Avatar
    Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Another subscriber here. I always enjoy your posts and am looking forward to following this.

I'd seen that program before and thought it interesting. I'll have to give it another look.

tattoojay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tattoojay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tattoojay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tattoojay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tattoojay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tattoojay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tattoojay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tattoojay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tattoojay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tattoojay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tattoojay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yep yep, *subscribed* over here too. i like watching matt change workouts a lot, that way i dont have to do it
    -Jay

training journal: good ol starting strength again--
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111971781

alexk330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexk330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexk330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexk330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    * subscribed * again

Analysis paralysis Lifting N Tx's Avatar
    Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I did a little tabulating. Counted work sets and got this, if I interpreted your changes correctly:

Original:

Squat/Leg Press/DL - 4/week
    GHR not incl DL - 3/week
    Calves - 4.5 / week
    Rowing/Pulldowns - 6 / week
    Bi/Tri isolations - 4.5 each or 9 total / week
    Abs - 4.5 / week
    Pressing - 15 / week

mjw8204 version:

Squat/Fr Squat/DL - 4/week
    Hypers - 3/week
    Calves - 4.5 / week
    Abs - 4.5 / week
    Pressing - 12 / week
    Shoulder Isolation - 1.5 / week

Makes sense to me. Even so, it's still a little press heavy. Other than that it generally seems a lot lower than 5x5 in workload, except on presses and arm work. However, some of your squat warmups probably are as heavy as some of the lighter sets in Madcow's intermediate 5x5. If you count only the top couple of sets in the 5x5 as work sets you're somewhat closer.

This interests me, because I had good luck with my one 5x5 run, but wanted to have a routine that was a bit more well rounded, yet didn't take all night to finish. This routine seems a bit more well rounded than a stock 5x5 with a few less sets per workout, so I'm interested to see if its use of a bit less volume but higher intensity will give similar results.

Originally Posted by Lifting N Tx View Post
    Another subscriber here. I always enjoy your posts and am looking forward to following this.
    I'd seen that program before and thought it interesting. I'll have to give it another look.
    Originally Posted by tattoojay View Post
    yep yep, *subscribed* over here too. i like watching matt change workouts a lot, that way i dont have to do it
    Originally Posted by alexk330 View Post
    * subscribed * again
    Thanks for dropping in! The more the merrier.

I did a little tabulating. Counted work sets and got this, if I interpreted your changes correctly:

Original:

Squat/Leg Press/DL - 4/week
    GHR not incl DL - 3/week
    Calves - 4.5 / week
    Abs - 4.5 / week
    Pressing - 15 / week

mjw8204 version:

Squat/Fr Squat/DL - 4/week
    Hypers - 3/week
    Calves - 4.5 / week
    Abs - 4.5 / week
    Pressing - 12 / week
    Shoulder Isolation - 1.5 / week
    Yep. I'm not sure of the set/rep scheme for front squats yet, but that pretty much sums it up.
    Makes sense to me. Even so, it's still a little press heavy.
    Yeah, it is a little press heavy, and my shoulders are going to be hit pretty hard on those days. Still, in terms of muscle groups that are hit directly, this layout does a pretty good job of balancing things out -- legs/back/bis and chest/shoulders/tris. It made sense to me since the traps and lats are both worked during deadlifts. This is where it's a bit different than the typical upper/lower split, as the upper back work is done on the "lower" day.
    Other than that it generally seems a lot lower than 5x5 in workload, except on presses and arm work. However, some of your squat warmups probably are as heavy as some of the lighter sets in Madcow's intermediate 5x5. If you count only the top couple of sets in the 5x5 as work sets you're somewhat closer.
    I'll probably be doing the same number of warmup sets for my primary lifts, except I'll be pyramiding down to my worksets. In terms of overall tonnage with a particular lift, let's say squats, I imagine the 5x5 is a bit higher; but when you factor in the higher top-end intensity with the 2x5 I'd imagine the work done is pretty close to the same. Aside from the higher intensity, I also won't have my third and fourth warmup set to fatigue me before my worksets. It really comes down to me finding what methodology I prefer.
    This interests me, because I had good luck with my one 5x5 run, but wanted to have a routine that was a bit more well rounded, yet didn't take all night to finish. This routine seems a bit more well rounded than a stock 5x5 with a few less sets per workout, so I'm interested to see if its use of a bit less volume but higher intensity will give similar results.
    I bet you could pretty easily set up a 5x5 type program following this format and schedule. That's actually something I've been thinking about trying out after doing my current program for a while. You could have seperate days for 5x5 squat, bench, and deadlift, while adding a 3x8 supplemental lift on each day. The fourth day could be an auxiliary bench day along with 5x5 overhead pressing. For example, it might look something like this:

Monday
    5x5 squat
    3x8 pc dominant exercise
    rows
    biceps
    calves

Wednesday
    5x5 bench
    3x8 incline db press
    shoulder work
    tricep work
    abs

Friday
    5x5 deadlift
    3x8 quad dominant exercise
    vertical pull
    biceps
    calves

Monday
    5x5 overhead press
    Supplemental bench press (barbell or dumbbell flat bench with 5x5, 4x6 or 3x8 w/static weight)
    triceps
    abs

That's just a rough sketch, but I bet something like that could work pretty well in terms of improving strength as well as gaining some size. The only issues is that it would be more work, so one might have to approach the supplemental lifts with caution and use the accessory stuff sparingly if they don't recover well.
    Last edited by mjw8204; 01-02-2007 at 11:22 PM.

chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    subscribed!

2007, here we go!!!
    On Day, Off Day...I just look forward to when I get to train.

daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    *subscribed*
    Government is for slaves
    Free men govern themselves

BJJ + Navy log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164870361

Originally Posted by chasm143 View Post
    subscribed!

2007, here we go!!!
    Originally Posted by daYDreAmErX View Post
    *subscribed*
    Welcome to the show!

week one, day two

Rotation One, Workout B

Flat Barbell Bench Press
    5x75
    4x95
    2x120

5x142.5
    5x142.5
    5x142.5

Incline Dumbbell Press
    8x45
    8x45
    8x45

Overhead Barbell Press -standing-
    8x75
    5x75
    8x65

Incline Skull Crushers
    10x40
    10x45
    10x45

Decline Sit-ups
    10xBW
    10xBW
    7xBW (lol)

NOTES
    First, I gotta tell everyone about this guy I spotted today at the gym. I had just walked into the weight room and was getting set up for bench when a guy at the smith machine called me over and asked for a spot. He was an older guy and I’d venture to guess a little on the slow side. He told me he was going to do about 20 shrugs and might need some assistance on the last few. I had no idea how I was supposed to spot someone doing smith shrugs, and I wasn’t about to get behind him, so I just sorta stood beside him. He then proceeds to do these tiny ROM smith shrugs and by the time he hit his 10th rep or so, it got really colorful. The expression on his face and the accompanying shrieks on each rep looked and sounded as if someone had stuck electrodes on his testicles. I can’t even describe the sound he was making, except to say it was tortured. Everyone was looking at us. It was pretty embarrassing.

All right, now to the workout. No lower body work today! I must say, it was very different not beginning my workout with some sort of squat. I did a pretty good job of selecting the starting weights for everything but overhead press. By the time I got to it, my shoulders already felt hammered. I ended up having to drop the weight on my third set. I’m sure it’s just because I’m not used to the volume of upper body work in a single workout yet. Today was also the first time I’ve done ab work in quite a while. It will be a work in progress for me. Not a bad day overall. It was one of my shortest full sessions in quite a while. I liked the dumbbell work and look forward to trying it for flat bench on Monday.

Geek Giving Crappy Advice SchemeSC's Avatar
    SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mjw8204 View Post
    Rotation One, Workout B

Flat Barbell Bench Press
    5x75
    4x95
    2x120

5x142.5
    5x142.5
    5x142.5

Incline Dumbbell Press
    8x45
    8x45
    8x45

Overhead Barbell Press -standing-
    8x75
    5x75
    8x65

Incline Skull Crushers
    10x40
    10x45
    10x45

Decline Sit-ups
    10xBW
    10xBW
    7xBW (lol)

NOTES
    First, I gotta tell everyone about this guy I spotted today at the gym. I had just walked into the weight room and was getting set up for bench when a guy at the smith machine called me over and asked for a spot. He was an older guy and I’d venture to guess a little on the slow side. He told me he was going to do about 20 shrugs and might need some assistance on the last few. I had no idea how I was supposed to spot someone doing smith shrugs, and I wasn’t about to get behind him, so I just sorta stood beside him. He then proceeds to do these tiny ROM smith shrugs and by the time he hit his 10th rep or so, it got really colorful. The expression on his face and the accompanying shrieks on each rep looked and sounded as if someone had stuck electrodes on his testicles. I can’t even describe the sound he was making, except to say it was tortured. Everyone was looking at us. It was pretty embarrassing.
    Hahahaha. I've never even heard of a smith shrugger before. Unreal.

All right, now to the workout. No lower body work today! I must say, it was very different not beginning my workout with some sort of squat. I did a pretty good job of selecting the starting weights for everything but overhead press. By the time I got to it, my shoulders already felt hammered. I ended up having to drop the weight on my third set. I’m sure it’s just because I’m not used to the volume of upper body work in a single workout yet. Today was also the first time I’ve done ab work in quite a while. It will be a work in progress for me. Not a bad day overall. It was one of my shortest full sessions in quite a while. I liked the dumbbell work and look forward to trying it for flat bench on Monday.
    Dumbbell work will toughen anyone up real fast. For me, half the battle is just getting the damn things into position. Rippetoe sort of insinuates that dumbbell pressing might be better than barbell pressing. Oh, and yeah, flat bench followed by incline followed by overheads will hammer your upper body. That's a lot of delt work. Your body should adapt quickly though.
    Intermediate 5x5 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=974394

"Bodybuilding and powerlifting are two different sports, but there are undeniable similarities. I would go so far as to state that, for the novice or early intermediate, they are the same sport." -Dave76

Originally Posted by SchemeSC View Post
    Hahahaha. I've never even heard of a smith shrugger before. Unreal.
    It's not uncommon. Lots of people at my gym use the smith for shrugs and I see it in a few journals here and there. The theatrics this guy displayed when doing them were beyond absurd. I've seen this guy doing the same thing with tricep pushdowns. I'm pretty sure he's a little slow. You can just tell by his behavior around the gym that something is off with the guy.
    Originally Posted by SchemeSC View Post
    Dumbbell work will toughen anyone up real fast. For me, half the battle is just getting the damn things into position. Rippetoe sort of insinuates that dumbbell pressing might be better than barbell pressing. Oh, and yeah, flat bench followed by incline followed by overheads will hammer your upper body. That's a lot of delt work. Your body should adapt quickly though.
    The more I think about it, the more I'm not so sure I like that overhead pressing is almost treated as an afterthought with this. My strength on overheads was really improving and now I'm doing them after my delts have already been fatigued. I'm pretty sure I know exactly how I'm going to fix this in a few weeks. I really would like to give the program a shot without making too many changes, but I think this one would make a lot of sense.

Location: On the Ho Chi Min Trail Sippin on a 40oz of Old English 800, Vietnam
    MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great workout Matt. How does the incline skull crushers work? Are they harder than regular?
    Death is winning. Do something.- Sam Boyd

Great workout Matt. How does the incline skull crushers work? Are they harder than regular?
    With the way I do them, the extension looks similar to that of an incline bench press. My elbows are out past my face in front of me. Then, I extend back to where my hands are about even with my ears. I'm not sure how they are in relation to the regular because it's been so long since I've done any I really have no base of reference.

Man, am I sore today. My shoulders and triceps are fried - triceps especially.

Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Working at the gym that I lift at you wouldn't believe some of the horrendous forms and techinques I see people exhibiting when they lift, not to mention the older folks who seem to make up exercises as they go. The type of people you mentioned is what makes my job so much more interesting instead of just walking around in circles trying to find girls. Although I especially love the teenagers who will max out the plates on the pulley and do some sort of a lateral raise for 2 reps screaming and moaning and then letting go of the cable to let the plates crash down. Okay I could go on and on.. Hehe.

Nice lift too. I know that if I went to the gym and didn't do any lower body work I'd feel weird too. That's how I felt when I did this routine.
    I've still got a lot to learn.

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Didn't see this till today. Good luck MJW!

Not a bad workout, although after bench and especially incline db's.. shoulder pressing is going to be really hard. You going to be rotating the exercises so some days you shoulder press first.. etc?