khaile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Strength loss On squats switching to flat shoes

Been dealing with nagging patellar tendoniitus especially on squat days. One of my potential solutions is to switch from my romaleos to flat shoes (chucks). So I tested it out today on my heavy deadlift day.

Put 315 on the bar (I can get 9 reps RPE 9 at this load) and with flats felt pretty heavy for 2 reps before I racked the bar. It felt like RPE 6-7 with flats. But my knees felt a lot better I think. Is this normal? Should I expect a strength loss or am I just having to relearn squat mechanics going from a heeled to a flat shoe?

I have long femurs and squat a little wider than shoulder width as well.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    it's like changing grip on bench, even if going wider eventually leads to more weight it takes time to acclimate to the new pattern.

my advice is to forget any numbers or reps you've hit in heels and just use RPE to pick correct new weight going forward as you adjust to flats
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by khaile View Post
    Been dealing with nagging patellar tendoniitus especially on squat days. One of my potential solutions is to switch from my romaleos to flat shoes (chucks). So I tested it out today on my heavy deadlift day.

Put 315 on the bar (I can get 9 reps RPE 9 at this load) and with flats felt pretty heavy for 2 reps before I racked the bar. It felt like RPE 6-7 with flats. But my knees felt a lot better I think. Is this normal? Should I expect a strength loss or am I just having to relearn squat mechanics going from a heeled to a flat shoe?

I have long femurs and squat a little wider than shoulder width as well.
    Now try going from flat shoes to barefoot. You will see another drop in performance. The shoes are essentially taking on some of the work your foot muscles would normally do so the muscles are simply not as strong and become a weak link until you build them up. Changing shoe type is basically exposing these weakened muscles in the foot.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by beowulf359 View Post
    Now try going from flat shoes to barefoot. You will see another drop in performance. The shoes are essentially taking on some of the work your foot muscles would normally do so the muscles are simply not as strong and become a weak link until you build them up. Changing shoe type is basically exposing these weakened muscles in the foot.
    I'm actually stronger in socks than flat shoes, because I'm much more stable on the floor. Even a little bit of squish in a shoe sole can throw off your balance.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    I'm actually stronger in socks than flat shoes, because I'm much more stable on the floor. Even a little bit of squish in a shoe sole can throw off your balance.
    I think you need a better shoe
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

khaile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I just had a full squat session today with flats and it was not as bad as I expected.

Put 335 on the bar. Was able to do 3 sets for 6,5,5 all at about RPE 8. So I don’t think there was much strength loss.

However there was a lot of adjustment squatting with chucks with long femurs.

First I have to sit back a lot more to hit depth. I miss the stability of my romaleos but on the other hand, I’m not really tipping forward much anymore.

Looking forward to adjusting with flats and making some serious strength gains.

Also on a positive note - little to no knee pain after the squat session. Looks like changing shoes fixed it all.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    I think you need a better shoe
    Maybe, but rather than fork out loads of cash trying different shoes, I'll just take them off
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Basically your going from a quad dominated squat to more hip/glute dominated.
    As mentioned it's basically two different styles.
    A more upright body with lifting shoes,knees will move forward its like an oly style and puts more pressure on the knees.
    The power squat is more of a sit back type of squat with body leaning a bit forward,legs wider than shoulders and driving with the whole foot rather than more of the front foot with lifting shoes.
    So sitting back where shins are about vertical can be more knee friendly than the squats you were doing.
    Good luck.

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As noted by others, you are likely seeing a difference in your squatting mechanics.

I prefer to lift barefoot. It helps that I have a home gym.
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59