Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Grevl View Post
    Originally Posted by Prophylaxis View Post
    Body Chart: (Where exactly does it hurt?) - Lower back, no leg pain or pins/needles, although the top of my foot hurts a little sometimes.
    Mechanism of injury: I was squatting and deadlifting, tight hamstrings and bad posture (anterior p-tilt) caused major buttwink, way before even parralell on the squat. This i think was what caused it, although it was never serious, just a little stiff.
    skip forward, 2 weeks off gym, removing wheel nuts off a car which where so tight i was spinning the back wheel.
    Back then went extremely stiff and painful, couldnt put socks/boxers on for a week.
    Stretching helps relieve it but only if its just stiff and not too painful.

Aggravating factors: What makes the pain worse? Barbell rows. I washed my car and felt my spine click, went stiff and painfull had to lay down for ages.
    Sat up quickly in the bath, back went, got stuck, laying in the bath for 20 mins in pain and couldnt move

Easing factors: I have luckily not felt the above for about, 4 weeks now. i had about 3 months off gym (going maybe 4 times in those 3 months, doing barbell rows and leaving in pain everytime)

I have now been going gym 3x a week for 2 weeks, doing only pull ups and T-bar rows (supported back) for back exercises. Also training abs alot more, Leg raise, planks, stomach vacuums, trying to fix my anterior pelvic tilt. Also not training chest or shoulders currently to fix my rolled forward shoulders.

I feel like its working alot, my tilt is better already, however im currently getting a strange feel in my lower back. like a nerve occasionally pinching on something

Stretches that help are lower back stretches and hamstring stretches. i think my lower back muscle is tight and over acting causing both my pain and pelvic tilt.

Hey,

Thanks for the info. I have quite a few more questions for you to help me determine if there's a specific pattern to your back pain. I also want you to do some movement testing for me- it's described below.

Questions:
    - Do you have pain DURING the barbell rows or only after?
    -Does your pain get worse or better if you change the pelvic tilt during your barbell rows?
    - Sounds like the movements that have led to your flare ups mostly involve bending- e.g sitting up in the bath, bending over to wash your car.... any others?
    - How long did these flare ups last. You said "ages" lying in the bath before you could get up- how long.
    - During your flare-ups, have you ever been stuck in a position (e.g couldn't stand up straight, bent to one side?)

Movements:
    Do these movements a few times each and tell me which EXACT movements make your pain worse…even if it’s just a bit.
    spinesurgeon.com.au/Neurological_Conditions/images/movements(DOT)jpg

Let me know how you go.

Prophylaxis

KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by KingofLifts View Post
    Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for doing this btw!

I overstreched it a few months ago.
    Never got checked out.
    It was a hamstring stretch. I put my leg on the top of a low fence/wall and reach for my toes.My leg was out in front of my body.
    It clicks only when I squat almost to parallel.
    No instability no recurrent pain. I'm concerned because there was pain at the onset of the clicking. My knee also swole up for a week.
    Full functionality of the knee. Im concerned about the knee clicking and popping. It never used to happen.
    I can bend the knee all the way back and it feels fine.
    Body Chart: Front Part of the right Knee

Mechanism of injury: Started when I "overstretched" my leg after a track workout. The front part of my knee swole up after that. Pain subsidied but a horrendous knee popping sound started occuring when doing squats. My knee still pops when i squat. It feels like im squatting on a bubble of pressure at the front part of the knee.

Aggravating factors: No pain, but knee is still popping.

Easing factors: None that I know of, knee doesn't pop if the knee joint isn't flexed. Knee only pops when I hit parallel.

Another nagging injury:

Body Chart: Anterior Part of Right Shoulder, Could be rotator cuff.
    Mechanism of Injury: I remember waking up one day with a horrible pain in my shoulder. I couldn't move it very much. I think I slept on the shoulder in an awkward position. Now the shoulder seems to shift when I raise it overhead. It pops in and out of place. There isn't a smooth motion in my shoulder. When I do arm circles to the side, it shifts in and out of place to get to the desired motion.
    Aggravating Factors: Upright Rows seem to make the pain worst.
    Easing Factors: Weirdly, I found a spot on my scapula where there is a pain. When i massage that spot the anterior part of my shoulder feels the pain, but after my shoulder gets a bit smoother.

Hey Prophylaxis, i just quoted the above to make it easier for you. Again, thanks a bunch for taking the time to do this! Would be great to get an opinion.
    *Reps everyone who negs crew*
    *Track Crew*

MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm studying to go into PT myself. I think I know what my problem is but I thought I'd check with you.

On all overhead pressing movements and sometimes incline presses, I'll have a very sharp pain throughout the bottom of my triceps. I think that means a pinched ulnar nerve? Like maybe some tightness in my chest/shoulder area? Its been going on for about 6 months now and I just work through the pain. And I just realized it actually hasnt happened for the past week. A physical therapist I volunteer for had me do this little test. He basically had me palm the left side of my face with all my fingers pointing down. It hurt and he said that confirmed it.
    WBFF Pro Muscle Model | Questions? Send me a private message.

Online Training/Coaching Application: https://www.gettfit.com/online-coaching/

Google Reviews of GettFit Online Coaching: https://g.page/r/CeuQw8grjXrzEAE

Instagram: mike.gettier

Join the ******** Group - Build Muscle, Lose Fat, and Become Stronger: https://www.********.com/groups/buildmusclelosefat

Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by insatiablebulk View Post
    Are you mckenzie certified or have you taken classes? Just curious. I have only skimmed a few posts but sounds like it with your process.
    Hey,

Not McKenzie certified, but a couple of my mentors are. I wouldn't say it's the main theory behind my clinical reasoning in the low back. The evidence is strong for McKenzie for acute low back pain- so I usually start there- if the history makes sense. For subacute and chronic, I if there's not pathoanatomical explanation for the pain (e.g. imaging that matches clinical signs and symptoms), in the absence of suspected neurological involvement- I look for patterns, drawing on work by many authors and clinicians (O'Sullivan, Monahan, Maitland to name a few...depends what's relevant to the case).

Originally Posted by bubba289 View Post
    All 3 of those cause pain just below the ilium, especially on my left side.

The quad pain is more like burning than shooting. It just feels like that muscle in both legs is extremely pissed off and does not want to be used.

No pins and needles or numbness.

The quad pain is not any worse after sitting or standing for long periods.

My lower "back" pain is just below the ilium on both sides and I've had it for years. No amount of stretching, rolling, or chiropractors has fixed it. So yes, it started way before the quad pain, I've just learned to live with it....and not deadlift lol.
    Hey it sounds like your chronic lower back pain may be contributing to a mechanical overload around your hip.

Can you clarify if the quad pain is on both sides or just on your left?
    Can you circle EXACTLY where your pain is? wps.ac.nz/Portals/9/Documents/Screening%20Tools/pain-chart-blank(DOT)JPG - as it makes a big diff where exactly your quad pain is
    Does doing an active straight leg raise bring on your quad pain? - exercise-ball-exercises.com/images/ASLR(DOT)jpg

Originally Posted by Jecoma View Post
    Hi PT brah, I really don´t want to ba a PITA. But shouldn´t you leave the diagnosing to an MD? Here in Europe a PT can´t diagnose. He can only be referred to by an MD.
    Hey Jecoma,

Fair question. My advice and recommendations should not be substituted for seeing a health-care practitioner. Different countries have varied scope of practices and regulations.

Originally Posted by hcat300 View Post
    HI Op i had Gluteal amnesia untill recently and have a slight hip impingment on both sides. My plan is to strengthen glutes and stretch/foam roll piriformis and TFl's

any experience with femoral acetabular gliding syndrome?
    Hey,
    I've dealt with 'femoral acetabular impingement' sounds like it might be what you're talking about. What are your symptoms now? Any pain? If so, where do you get it? When does it come on?
    Are there any particular exercises/ movements you have difficulty with because of your hips? Things you want to improve or get back to?
    Also, did you have any hip problems as a kid? clicking? pain?

Prophylaxis

Originally Posted by ISurfNudeBrah View Post
    Body Chart: (Where exactly does it hurt?) - sacral/coccyx area (lower back)
    Mechanism of injury: Injured lower back doing a warm up set of bent over rows 2 summers ago. Still hurts often to this day.
    Aggravating factors: Deadlifting heavy objects obviously, I try to avoid that as much as possible. Sleeping incorrectly can aggravate it or make it stiff.
    Easing factors: Smoking and inversion table therapy
    Hey,

couple more questions...
    -Any other movements or activities that bring on the pain besides the deadlift- more daily things like sitting/bending...etc..?
    -Do you have any leg pain or pins and needles?
    -Is the pain on one side or in the middle?

Finally, can you do these back movements and tell me which ones (if any) give you the pain you are describing?

Thanks,
    Prophylaxis

-

Originally Posted by asdf89 View Post
    I had a rod placed in my humerus and femur. i have 2 suture scars - one at the top of my ass and one on the hip. the other two are above the knee on the outer quad. AFAIK i had no hip surgery...if thats even possible with the rod..im not sure how the procedure works. My left leg which i broke is definitely weaker, and i had inner knee pain which my ortho told me was from weak hips on that side. this is also the side that the hip is higher on. So for certain i need to strengthen my hips unilaterally anyways which i am doing..my glutes are also slightly imbalnced. sometimes i get hip pain just walking and during leg exercises as i go deeper down on leg press, squats, etc.

the mobility of the hip on that side is very limited. like sitting indian style i can press my right leg to the ground but my left side doesnt want to go past a 45. sitting down if i had one leg straight and the other bent in with my heel at my thigh is the same thing

my upper and outer portion of my quads on my weaker leg is alot smaller than on the right side..i guess that would be my tensor fascia lata. im thinking that the hip being uneven makes it hard to get the best contraction of my muscles on that side.

what i am hoping to do is even out my hips which in turn i hope would fix my scoliosis and therefore fix my shoulder height discrepancy. having a high shoulder/hip/scoliosis makes it hard for me to hit muscles evenly and train properly..i want to avoid any related injury at all costs.
    Keeping your hips strong is a must in your case. It sounds like the movement is limited in your left hip in to ‘external rotation’ (you described that it won’t go down like the right in ‘Indian’ sitting). External rotation is one of the jobs of your glute muscles. If you start from a limited range in your hip, it will be harder to build the same strength as the right….but you have to keep them strong to improve alignment and avoid injury. Sounds like you’re doing glutes exercises already- here are some tips:

- try to do you glute exercises through your full range e.g clam exercise so you get in to more external rotation

mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/overusekneeinjuries/clam1-2(DOT)jpg

- when glutes are weak, you might find that other muscle groups kick in when you try to do glues exercise- try NOT to compensate with other muscle groups like: hip flexors, and your back.

-stretch often, and always after your strengthening exercises, it’s important to keep as much flexibility in your hips as you can.

-do exercises on BOTH sides of your hips. You might have to adjust how much you do on each side but the right glutes are important for protecting the right side of your hip as well.

Shoulder exercises:

Scapular exercises are important for keeping back muscles balanced. You’ll have to find what level is right for you… seated rows, scapular setting (see below), and watch for compensations like slumping to one side, arching through the spine, tensing neck, or shrugging shoulders:

Physiohub.com/activities/104

Scoliosis:

It’s hard to know how much of it is cause of the altered mechanics around your hip and leg, or how much is secondary muscle imbalance- no matter what, it’s a good idea to stretch your torso to keep the mobility in your back.

womenshealthmag.com/files/images/Side-Lying-Thoracic-Rotation(DOT)jpg

physioadvisor.com.au/assets/256/images/13072256(300x300)(DOT)jpg

In general:

When you increase loads at the gym, you should always do it gradually. Also, if you find certain muscle groups get tight after work-outs (like hip flexors, or upper back), make sure you stretch them/ foam rollers and massage can help too.

Hope that helps,

Prophylaxis

Will get to the others shortly!

adoamd will become famous soon enough. (+50) adoamd will become famous soon enough. (+50) adoamd will become famous soon enough. (+50) adoamd will become famous soon enough. (+50) adoamd will become famous soon enough. (+50) adoamd will become famous soon enough. (+50) adoamd will become famous soon enough. (+50) adoamd will become famous soon enough. (+50) adoamd will become famous soon enough. (+50) adoamd will become famous soon enough. (+50) adoamd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey adoamd,

I would say that your anterior shoulder pain could be caused by an 'impingement' driven by poor scapular position - this would also explain the pain you get around your scap.

Poor scapular positioning minimises the available space within the shoulder and can 'pinch' certain structures - see how when you retracted the shoulder, you had less pain? This is because by pulling the scapular (slightly) back you increased the space at the front of the shoulder. Here's an image to help you better visualise - physiopro.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/image4(DOT)jpg

So first thing is to make sure you scap is in a good position (slightly up and back) - during all workouts. At the gym whenever I see people do arms - even curls - when they fatigue they drop their shoulders forward - more form like this is what contributes to bad scap positioning.

Exercises:

1) Begin with resetting the shoulder blade - Here is a quick - basic video which describes (more or less) how to reset your shoulder blade - youtube(DOT)com/watch?v=ycKEFDoNPh8. While maintaining this position gently flex the shoulder up to 45 degrees and back again - repeat 30 of these every few hours throughout the day - it's a basic exercise but will do wonders for your scap position

2) Stretch the bicep (since 'Speeds' Test brought on some pain - you want to relieve any tension through long head of bicep - can make these dynamic neural glides as well - ergomomma.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/median-nerve-stretch1(DOT)jpg) and stretch post cuff (sports-injury-info.com/image-files/shoulder-stretching-cross-body-post-capsule(DOT)jpg

3) Adduction strengthening - great with pulleys at the gym - again this will help you strengthen the rotator cuff with minimal delt involvement ukhealthcare.uky.edu/uploadedImages/image_shoulderrc4(DOT)jpg

Try out for me and let me know how you go!

Because you have neck pain as well, take it easy on the neural glide stretches - and these should definitely not be hurting.

I will aim to answer all other responses over the next day!
    Hey man, I don't think it's working. The adduction exercise is good, but after like 9-12 reps, I start to get the pain again. Also stretching the biceps... as soon as i bring my elbow in just a little, I get the same pain. With the resetting the scapula, i think it's doing a bit of help. I just came back from the gym after doing it for ~3 days. Before I did a set of light (12kgs) dumbbell incline presses, I reset my shoulder blade and then went down to press. no improvements really.
    notpartofacrew crew

veikejas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) veikejas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) veikejas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) veikejas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) veikejas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) veikejas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) veikejas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) veikejas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) veikejas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) veikejas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) veikejas is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    and not a single respond to my post was seen
    miscsmusic.com

Lithuania Crew

Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey,

Thanks for the info. I have quite a few more questions for you to help me determine if there's a specific pattern to your back pain. I also want you to do some movement testing for me- it's described below.

Questions:
    - Do you have pain DURING the barbell rows or only after? - After. Its not an instant snap pain it will feel extreamly fatigues over time and stiffen up badly, again to a point to not being able to bend to put socks on.
    -Does your pain get worse or better if you change the pelvic tilt during your barbell rows? - Im not going to try them again yet, as i believe i could have a weak core and over tight lower back, and my current routine (made it myself and im sort of still a beginner) should fix my problem. I think hyper extensions would cause the fatigueing very quickly and lead to pain also.

my current routine (trying to strengthen core and upper back to fix rolled forward shoulders
    3 times a week pull up 5x5 weighted
    t-bar row 3- 8-12, and occasional 3x5 reps
    Shrugs - 3x 8-12 reps
    Rear delt fly's machine, might try db's
    Hanging knee raises 3x failure (i believe lower abdominals the weak link for me)
    then curls, skull crushers,
    Planks x 2 tightening my glutes to hit my abs harder
    finish off with broom stick shoulder dislocations and some light rotator cuff movements
    That ive been doing for 3 weeks now, with my back feeling like it just has minor sciatica maybe? i can just feel the occasional pinch at my lower back, no serious pain or becoming immobile.

- Sounds like the movements that have led to your flare ups mostly involve bending- e.g sitting up in the bath, bending over to wash your car.... any others? - Tbh, i think it is only bending over that brings the pain back, or prolonged stress on my lower back muscle. i.e, working in the engine bay on my car bending over to get to certain places. (This kinda makes me think that my lower back is just very weak, but stretching and avoiding training it seems to be helping!)
    - How long did these flare ups last. You said "ages" lying in the bath before you could get up- how long. In the bath i think i couldnt move out of a certain position for 10-15 minutes, but forced myself up as i had to get out, the pain was still bad for the rest of the night. next day just very stiff and prone to going like the above again.
    - During your flare-ups, have you ever been stuck in a position (e.g couldn't stand up straight, bent to one side?) Standing up straight is usually the most comfortable, maybe in a kinda relaxed way though. bending down is not possible unless only bending at the knees.

Movements:
    Do these movements a few times each and tell me which EXACT movements make your pain worse…even if it’s just a bit.

Let me know how you go.

Prophylaxis
    Those movements, all was fine, only bending forward, legs straight my hamstrings are clearly very tight (i do stretch them every other day). Calves are quite tight aswell.

Thanks alot for your help bro
    Hairy chinese kid

hcat300 is just really nice. (+1000) hcat300 is just really nice. (+1000) hcat300 is just really nice. (+1000) hcat300 is just really nice. (+1000) hcat300 is just really nice. (+1000) hcat300 is just really nice. (+1000) hcat300 is just really nice. (+1000) hcat300 is just really nice. (+1000) hcat300 is just really nice. (+1000) hcat300 is just really nice. (+1000) hcat300 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey,
    I've dealt with 'femoral acetabular impingement' sounds like it might be what you're talking about. What are your symptoms now? Any pain? If so, where do you get it? When does it come on?
    Are there any particular exercises/ movements you have difficulty with because of your hips? Things you want to improve or get back to?
    Also, did you have any hip problems as a kid? clicking? pain?

Prophylaxis
    Hi, yes that is the term I mean, i have had an X-ray and didnt have any sort of misshapen hip socket.

I used to squat with no pain, but i had glutes that where switched off and so my hamstring dominated and i never felt my glutes at all, apparently this can lead to hip impingement.

No problems as a kid. Clicking yes, not painful only slightly.

the site of clicking is at the front of my hip socket i believe.

Originally Posted by Mikelawton View Post
    Body Chart: my right shoulder

Mechanism of injury: 5 dislocations. the first time i dislocated it was when i got bodychecked pretty hard to the ice in ice hockey and fell awkwardly. went back to the bench and relocated it within 2 minutes, went back out, dislocated it again, relocated within 5 minutes.

Aggravating factors: whenever i make that "L" shape with my hand, for example when im holding a barbell to squat, or military presses stuff like that

Easing factors: nothing it just seems to ache for a good while

side note: i did consult with professionals before. they did an MRI for my labrum and found there was a small tear. said I could consult with an orthopedic surgeon if i wanted to but it wasnt necessary/emergency. when i first dislocated it in hockey the next day I went to a walk in clinic and they diagnosed it as a pulled muscle since at the time i had no idea what a dislocated shoulder felt like, so i never properly rested it the first time i was injured.
    Hey Mike,

Just need to work out your gameplan. 5 dislocations is a lot! Was this only on your right shoulder, or left as well?

Do you want to get back into hockey? Or any other contact sports for that matter?
    Do you experience any instability in the shoulder throughout a normal day? e.g. reaching for things, turning over in bed?
    Do you ever wake up with pins and needles down the arm or get a dead arm?
    Are you doing any strengthening/stabilisation exercises

Donut Juice is a name known to all. (+5000) Donut Juice is a name known to all. (+5000) Donut Juice is a name known to all. (+5000) Donut Juice is a name known to all. (+5000) Donut Juice is a name known to all. (+5000) Donut Juice is a name known to all. (+5000) Donut Juice is a name known to all. (+5000) Donut Juice is a name known to all. (+5000) Donut Juice is a name known to all. (+5000) Donut Juice is a name known to all. (+5000) Donut Juice is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Body Chart: (Where exactly does it hurt?) - My right glute when i am standing up

Mechanism of injury: I have L5-S1 herniation 8MM induced by vomiting (sigh).

Aggravating factors: What makes the pain worse? When i am standing up for a long time, i can sit all day and not have any pain but when i am standing up for 5+ minutes i feel a twisting pain in my right glute, like something is stabbing and twisting.

Easing factors: What relieves the pain? I have to sit down asap or start pacing so the pain can go away then i can stand for another 5 minutes, rinse and repeat.

I know it is due to my herniated disc, but maybe something else is happening to make it worse? I do suffer of an anterior pelvic tilt...i think...
    “He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself.”- Edward Herbert

Originally Posted by Scruffy77 View Post
    Body Chart: (Where exactly does it hurt?) - Dislocated Pinky finger, every place you can bend except at bottom knuckle
    Mechanism of injury: Did the pain occur during ONE particular event? Basketball hit direct edge of finger
    Aggravating factors: What makes the pain worse? Trying to close it
    Its been about A month and a half to 2 monthes and I still can't bend the very top part of my pinky and the middle part is still super swole. Been icing it and use a splint while lifting but take off splint during day use for mobility. Got xrays theres no fracture or break but its not getting better. Thanks op!
    Hey scruffy,

Great to hear there's no fracture. Did the doctor's tell you it was 'mallet finger'?

If this ever happens again - you have to splint within 24hours and keep it on 24/7 for 6 weeks! Unfortunately because it's been 2 months since it's happened the soft tissue healing has already occured - meaning it will always be slightly 'bent'.

What I want you to do is splint it 24/7 now to reduce any swelling or irritation and get it as straight as possible. Do this for 2 weeks and let me know how it goes. Avoid bending it too much in the interim as well.

Originally Posted by gangaslayer View Post
    Body Chart: (Where exactly does it hurt?) - right knee/lower part of leg on the outter side
    Mechanism of injury: was from squatting high bar atg without properly warming up
    Aggravating factors: running
    Easing factors: stretching and using a lacross ball on the lower quad where the trigger point is.

squatting nor deadlifting affects the knee.
    Hey,

Can you tell me a couple more things about your knee...

Can you circle exactly where the pain is, sounds below the knee, but it would help if you point it out exactly- use this pic

http://www.bodiesinbalanceleth.ca/im...%20Diagram.jpg

Also, are there any other movements/ activities that give you pain besides running? Up or down stairs? sitting for long periods? Certain stretches
    Does the pain start immediately with running? If not, how long can you run before it comes on? Then how long after the run does it take to go away?
    is it a certain part of the run...e.g. when you push off with that leg/ when you land on that leg?

Thanks,
    Prophylaxis

Hey Prophylaxis, i just quoted the above to make it easier for you. Again, thanks a bunch for taking the time to do this! Would be great to get an opinion.
    Thanks for that man,

Sounds like there may still be some swelling inside the knee joint.

Can I get you perform this test for me (Thesally test) -do this by holding onto a surface - just to work out if the mensicus are causing your problems in the knee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceBtpDXWErU

Does this bring on the 'popping' sound at all?

If this does not bring on the popping sound - I want you religiously stretch/foam roll the muscles around the knee - hamstring/quad/calf for a couple weeks - if it doesn't improve - I'd recommend getting some scans and seeing a physcian to rule out anything nasty. When there is swelling in the knee (or you feel a bubble as you squat) - it's a sign something intra-articular is happening in the knee - so it's wise to just play it safe!

Originally Posted by Shane-0-Mac View Post
    No pain with any of those movements. Only slightly with bending over forwards but only once It begins to actually stretch.
    I do play cricket also. Just incase that may be of some insight to the cause.
    Never had any pre existing leg or lower spinal injuries.
    My legs do tend to hyper extend at the knees and that has been a life long thing.
    Sweet.

Just want to test your adductors now.

Does this test bring on your pain here? Can you feel like when your legs are straight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piD-0AtDMJs

Originally Posted by itsMoeyy View Post
    I saw my local GP and he referred me to a PT. The PT gave me a massage and taught me 2 exercises. One was to put your hands and torso on a wall and kind of pelvic thurst so it targets that area. The other exercise was you lie down on the floor on your stomach and raise your arms and legs to make a U shape and then hold that position for 1 minute. I did these for a few weeks until the pain went away.

And yes, I got the injury yesterday, but from today its been hurting a sht ton more and my back hurts even when I walk, drive, lie down to sleep. And yes I do sometimes get these pins/needles down the leg when the area is aggravated.

When I do flexion, it hurts like hell straight away, I cant even bend down forward 20 degrees without it hurting like hell. I can do extension up to a certain bit but when I go all the way back, then it hurts ALOT. Also it hurts when I do Right-side bending, but not left.

Thanks so much for the help brother.

Hey,

Sounds like you should go back to the EXACT exercises the PT gave you last time. Sounds like the same sort of disc bulge again and those are the best exercises in the beginning stages. AND they worked on you last episode- good reason to do them again. Go back to that PT if you need some hands on work like last time.

If it’s now giving you pain to bend backwards, you have to be careful- don’t push too far until the pain settles a bit. The lying on your stomach version you described is usually a bit easier to start with.
    You should ideally do them every 1-2 hours, 10 reps each (if they are a bit uncomfortable continue, if the pain is getting worse, STOP)

Keep a close eye on the pins and needles and leg pain – that should be the FIRST thing to improve. Probably best to see a doc ….just to make sure there’s no nerve damage starting. The longest I would wait is one day, if you want to see if the leg symptoms get better by then. Also, GP can give you pain killers/ anti inflammatories to help settle it faster.
    Get up from sitting at least every 20 mins to walk around, use a lumbar support sitting, try to avoid bending for the next few days (especially in the morning).

Good luck, let me know how you go,
    Prophylaxis

Originally Posted by FuarkBrahhhhh View Post
    Body Chart: (Where exactly does it hurt?) - lower back (near upper glute), glutes, and hamstrings
    Mechanism of injury: Was doing BW deadlifts one day and the next day i got the pain
    Aggravating factors: What makes the pain worse? Keeping leg straight and lifting it while standing or lying down
    Easing factors: What relieves the pain? Bending my legs

Orthopedic surgeon said it was lumbar strain but it hasn't gone away in months. Recommended me to go to a PT and i went 3 times, didn't really help it. TBH they were kinda retarded (didn't know what a deadlift was)

Extra info: no pins and needles, can feel everything on my legs fine, pain doesn't go beyond knee. It's the kind of pain that's hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from so it's not a sharp pain.

I srsly can't thank you enough for doing this. You're helping a lot of people thank you so much.
    Hey man,
    Need you to clarify a few things
    - it hurts if you do a straight leg raise, both standing and lying down? Anything else? Bending, sitting? walking?
    - what do you mean when you say bending your knees relieves it? You mean while you're doing the straight leg raise? Does anything else relieve it?
    Can you do these motions VERY CAREFULLY, take note of exactly which movements make it better/ worse?
    spinesurgeon.com.au/Neurological_Conditions/images/movements.jpg

Let me know!
    Thanks,
    Prophylaxis

Originally Posted by veikejas View Post
    and not a single respond to my post was seen

Hey Veikejas,

It’s been tough to keep track- sorry I didn’t respond.

I need you to answer a couple more questions to clarify what’s happening for me.
    -How long ago did you get the injury?
    -When you say aggravating factors ‘now’- what were they before? Did it used to hurt to do other things? Sitting/ bending…etc?
    - Have you ever had leg pain or pins and needles?
    -Can you do the following movements- do them each a few times and take note if any of the movements make your pain worse- even a little bit.
    spinesurgeon.com.au/Neurological_Conditions/images/movements.jpg

Thanks for the MRI results.

Talk to you soon,
    Prophylaxis

Originally Posted by sacc230 View Post
    Body Chart: lower back area

Mechanism of injury: happened once while deadlifting and happened once while leg pressing both happened within about a month of each other ..I let my legs come deep to the point of touching my stomach then heard a crackle pop immediately racked the weight got up was hard to walk normal and stay up straight due to the pain...thankfully the pain only lasted about 3 days both times and then went away...afraid of it happening again and or causing a worse injury whatever this one might be cause certain movements have provoked not good feeling in the area

Aggravating factors: getting up and standing up straight after sitting down or laying down ..walking in general..getting dressed.

Easing factors: laying on a hard flat area like the floor putting legs up stretching ...laying on back in hot sauna

thanks any input appreciated
    Hey,

Your past episodes sound very characteristic of an acute disc injury. The pain went away in 3 days- that’s a good sign.
    The symptoms you’re getting now could be left over from that injury, or they could be from something else in the area getting irritated (e.g a joint of muscle pain).
    Can you do the following movements and tell me exactly which ones make your pain worse? That will help give me a better idea of a pattern to your symptoms.

http://spinesurgeon.com.au/Neurologi.../movements.jpg

In general it’s important for you to warm-up well before heavy lifting. Let me know how you go with those movements and I’ll be able to give you more specific exercises.

Thanks,
    Prophylaxis

Originally Posted by youngbuckets5 View Post
    please respond prophylaxis, thanks.
    Hey,

That's helpful, thanks. I'd still like you to go through the movements, but ALSO, just bend forward to touch your toes now (just normally curve your back- NOT straight back). When you start to get the pain, put your head down chin-to-chest and tell me if it gets worse or better.

Here are the movements to do...
    http://spinesurgeon.com.au/Neurologi.../movements.jpg

Talk to you soon,
    Prophylaxis

Originally Posted by adoamd View Post
    Hey man, I don't think it's working. The adduction exercise is good, but after like 9-12 reps, I start to get the pain again. Also stretching the biceps... as soon as i bring my elbow in just a little, I get the same pain. With the resetting the scapula, i think it's doing a bit of help. I just came back from the gym after doing it for ~3 days. Before I did a set of light (12kgs) dumbbell incline presses, I reset my shoulder blade and then went down to press. no improvements really.
    Hey adoamd,

I really want you to unload the shoulder over the next week and focus on optimizing scap function before doing incline or overhead lifting. It can a while (I.e. 6 weeks) to get the proper muscle functioning around the shoulder and if that isnt there, it will continue to pinch.

Another reason is that since you have neck - it could be referring pain to the shoulder. It sounds like some manual therapy (by a health professional) on the neck may help.

All I want you to do is work on gentle shoulder stretches (post cuff and pec) and scap setting unloaded - I.e. just lifting arm up and down (only 45deg flex!) while keeping shoulder back. These exercises should be pain-free. Basically unload the shoulder and get the scap working first.

If your pain continues over the week- id recommend seeing a health care professional as it sounds like you may need some manual therapy to speed things up

Any other questions let me know! It will take some time though

Prophylaxis

MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    in 4 when i get home

djkanna is on a distinguished road. (+10) djkanna is on a distinguished road. (+10) djkanna is on a distinguished road. (+10) djkanna is on a distinguished road. (+10) djkanna is on a distinguished road. (+10) djkanna is on a distinguished road. (+10) djkanna is on a distinguished road. (+10) djkanna is on a distinguished road. (+10) djkanna is on a distinguished road. (+10) djkanna is on a distinguished road. (+10) djkanna is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Body Chart: (Where exactly does it hurt?) - Left wrist. During pressing motions, but only when the hand is bent backwards, its fine if i keep a straight wrist. But for bench press thats impossible. cant put any weight on it, hurts during the lockout part of the lift. (press ups are out of the question too unless using handles to keep the straight arm)
    Mechanism of injury: First started noticing it over the last year, I think it may have been where I came of a motobike at about 15mph, sprained my wrist pretty bad, no insurance so just taped it up for a couple of days. Stopped being painful after 3 or 4 weeks, (Maybe I fractured it slightly?) Ill never know.
    Aggravating factors: If i wrap the wrist up literally in blankets throughout the night to stop it getting cold I dont have my symptons, I can press like normal, dont remember having any of these symptons throughout summer.
    Easing factors: Keeping it warm.

Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grevl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    pls respond post #132
    Hairy chinese kid

Zmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Body Chart: To the front side of my right shoulder.
    Mechanism of injury: Over the last 12 months I've had the odd slight ache and minor pain in the same location especially whilst raising my arm laterally. Two weeks ago I was doing shoulder presses with dumb bells and my right shoulder gave way and I felt something pull slightly but the pain was only momentary and I was able to carry on with a light weight but it has been sore ever since. My shoulder also clicks when raising my arm laterally but isn't really painful.
    Aggravating factors: Lateral raises with dumb bells.
    Easing factors: Periods of rest and avoiding lateral raises (especially heavy).

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.
    Last edited by Zmeister; 02-05-2014 at 11:27 PM.
    My farts hospitalise small children...

☢ Fallout 4 crew ☢

bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey it sounds like your chronic lower back pain may be contributing to a mechanical overload around your hip.

Can you clarify if the quad pain is on both sides or just on your left?
    Can you circle EXACTLY where your pain is? wps.ac.nz/Portals/9/Documents/Screening%20Tools/pain-chart-blank(DOT)JPG - as it makes a big diff where exactly your quad pain is
    Does doing an active straight leg raise bring on your quad pain? - exercise-ball-exercises.com/images/ASLR(DOT)jpg
    I used a different diagram, but as best I can tell, it's mainly inside this triangle.

The active straight leg raise doesn't cause pain, it's definitely more when I'm in the bottom of a squat or hack squat.

I think you're right about the lower back pain being related. I've ordered a stand thing to raise my monitor and keyboard up off my desk so I can stand while I work, which I think will help some with the lower back issues.
    THINK FOR YOURSELF, QUESTION AUTHORITY!

Instagram - @bury_me_in_sm0ke