GymbagJamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Protein makes you fat!!!!

I've been participating in the BB.com transformation and completely changed my diet, work out six days a week and my body fat on the the electronic hand-held caliper was reporting an increase in my bodyfat!!! SO I went to my personal trainer and asked him what I was doing wrong....his answer...too many protein shakes(2-3 a day was my intake). He said protein shakes make you fat!!! I don't have my protein with chocolate sauce and ice cream. Just water and protein. Funny!!!
    Gymbag Jamie::
    HOLLA!

kellorie83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Protein doesn't make you fat, an excess of calories makes you fat. What does the rest of your diet look like?

Also, I only have one protein shake a day (if that). For me, protein from whole foods nets better results.

edit- Handheld calipers should not be trusted for accurate body fat estimates. Check out www.bodyfattest.com and see about getting dunked now, and again at the end of your transformation (hopefully it doesn't have an end to truly see how much progress you've made.

Good luck!
    Results Only

JJanet is on a distinguished road. (+10) JJanet is on a distinguished road. (+10) JJanet is on a distinguished road. (+10) JJanet is on a distinguished road. (+10) JJanet is on a distinguished road. (+10) JJanet is on a distinguished road. (+10) JJanet is on a distinguished road. (+10) JJanet is on a distinguished road. (+10) JJanet is on a distinguished road. (+10) JJanet is on a distinguished road. (+10) JJanet is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    LOL... Reeeeeeeeeeeally?? Then my weight is going to skyrocket ANY DAY now!!

gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    LOL

EEEEK I just ate a chicken breast!! *explodes*

Trainers like that make me SO fricking angry. I am going to college for this...I'm taking exercise physiology, exercise prescription, nutrition classes...I am putting so much time and effort into becoming a personal trainer. To think I might be working side by side with an idiot like that is just sickening.

the bigger the better nicoledominique's Avatar
    nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I normal whey isolate or concentrate won't make you fat, but a gainer could.

I think some people get these confused because gainers DO contain protein. Just make sure you read the nutritional info!

Registered User DMBsAmricanBaby's Avatar
    DMBsAmricanBaby is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DMBsAmricanBaby is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DMBsAmricanBaby is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DMBsAmricanBaby is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DMBsAmricanBaby is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DMBsAmricanBaby is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DMBsAmricanBaby is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DMBsAmricanBaby is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DMBsAmricanBaby is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DMBsAmricanBaby is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DMBsAmricanBaby is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    they only make you fat if you don't use up the energy from the protein..
    "Obsessed is the word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

**Outdo Yesterday!**

A∑∑ - The Squat Booty Sorority

Although it's hard to get back to everyone, I love you all, you're my motivation! <3<3 Thank you! <3<3

HI MISC! RED'S MY FAVORITE COLOR! :D

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What an idiot your trainer is. I would get rid of him immediately.
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hmmmm, I lost 100 lbs. drinking four a day.

Official Fitness Fanatic trainwithrae's Avatar
    trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    have you looked at the macros for the protein powder you are using? Just wonder if it is high in fat... really not the point here because you aren't going to get fat drinking them unless you are going above your maintenance calories. However, there is something to be said for eating real foods vs shakes, you will be fuller longer. It's more prep work but you'll get more benefit from the whole food.
    MuscleTech Sponsored Athlete
    Want your best body?
    www.trainwithrae.com

Im not short I'm fun size pirouette's Avatar
    pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kellorie83 View Post
    Protein doesn't make you fat, an excess of calories makes you fat. What does the rest of your diet look like?

Also, I only have one protein shake a day (if that). For me, protein from whole foods nets better results.

edit- Handheld calipers should not be trusted for accurate body fat estimates. Check out www.bodyfattest.com and see about getting dunked now, and again at the end of your transformation (hopefully it doesn't have an end to truly see how much progress you've made.

Good luck!
    QFT......Too much of anything can make you fat. Maybe you need a new trainer who knows better.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe.

"I think I'd make a really good ninja."

In arguments that matter, if you don't choose a side, you lose.

Feels good man

Whiskey for my beer, men for my horses.

****FIERCE*****GRRRRR

Official Fitness Fanatic trainwithrae's Avatar
    trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Plus there are some "protein" shakes that are loaded with sugars and fats...
    MuscleTech Sponsored Athlete
    Want your best body?
    www.trainwithrae.com

the bigger the better nicoledominique's Avatar
    nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ^^ Agreed, like I said in my earlier post -- Maybe it's the type of shake you're ingesting and not the protein itself.

LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    seriously agree to all of the above... anything in excess of what you are burning will be stored, and if that storage doesn't happen as muscle growth or glycogen replenishment it will happen as fat...

but honestly. there are so many people on these boards who are taking in 2, 3, even 4 shakes a day and they are FAR FROM FAT.

perhaps you should kick your trainer.

or you could read the nutritional info on your shakes, as listed above, just to make sure you're not taking a gainer on accident...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109800291

Yammin' it up with the Falcon--- my new journal as I seek to get back in shape and tackle some ultra runs and some forestry.

The world is older and bigger than we are. This is a hard truth for some folks to swallow- Edward Abbey.

kkschaef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkschaef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkschaef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkschaef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkschaef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkschaef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkschaef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkschaef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkschaef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkschaef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkschaef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I suggest checking the label of your protein. Some powders do have alot of carbs and fat. these would be weight gainers. In general protein will not make you fat. What makes someone fat is too many calories. I do find that for myself protein from whole foods is better for me. I do have at least 1 shake a day. Fire that trainer!
    Kim Schaefer
    www.fitbabeslair.com/kim

VERVE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VERVE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VERVE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VERVE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    All the posts here have good points. Also, any time I have ever read/listened to a "Pro's Comp Diet" they usually consist of real foods, never shakes.
    "Whatever You Do, Don't Do It Halfway" -Bob Beamon

Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I drink two a day and I'm losing weight fast as can be Also going to school for Nutrition Science. Get a new PT.

kaspar_19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaspar_19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaspar_19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaspar_19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaspar_19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaspar_19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaspar_19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaspar_19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaspar_19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaspar_19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaspar_19 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by VERVE View Post
    All the posts here have good points. Also, any time I have ever read/listened to a "Pro's Comp Diet" they usually consist of real foods, never shakes.
    I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that this is because it "costs" more calories to digest real foods than protein shakes, which makes sense.
    ~*~*Marie*~*~

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places." -Author Unknown