puretonic11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

An ideal workout plan for elderly people?

Hi, I'm going to be training my mom with her workout. She is 60 years old and often suffers from back pain. I think her pain is related to her weak core muscles. However, I'm not familiar with designing workout routines for elderly people that just want to improve their health condition as opposed to bodybuilding.

Any suggestion on which exercises I should include for her to overcome her back pain? how many sets/reps/per week? and intensity? and any other recommendation would be appreciated, Thanks!

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That would depend upon the cause of her back pain. That isn’t something you can just assume.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    60 year old woman with back pain. May I suggest rippletoes heavy squats and gomad routine

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    In general most of the same training principles apply, the biggest difference is that it can take longer to recover. So I'd consider training each muscle group 2x per week but not more frequently. I would also avoid failure. Does she have arthritis at all? Exercises can be modified to accommodate pain-free range of motion. I cover some other considerations here: https://www.healthierwithscience.com...aneous-topics/

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Start with one push
    One pull
    One squat

Start with weights that can be done with perfect form in the 12-20 rep range.

Gradually add sets and always try to increase reps. As a new 60 year old lifter who may have been sedentary for years, progression to second, third set and beyond should be auto regulated based on recovery.

If four sets can be done
    Try a second push
    Second pull
    Second lower body compound

Now back to 3 -4 sets per

Example:

Week one
    Monday- Wed-Fri. Push, pull squat 1 set each

Week 2- two sets each

Week 3 - 3 sets each

Week 6- add second push, second pull, second lower body compound *if* she seems ready.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Back pain. Might want to start with her doctor / get a referral to a physical therapist, go with her and then help her mimic what the PT teaches her.

For the non back stuff. Join a gym. Start with maybe five minutes, lowest level on a recumbent bike (easy on the back).

Then, maybe, design her a "circuit" based on stationary weight machines (no free weights). The machines will help with proper position, form and stabilization.

Start with little, or even no weights just to get the the movements right, and just one set. As she moves up towards 20-ish reps start adding weight.

Just one set on each on just a few machines to start but move towards more machines, each representing a different muscle / muscle group in big muscle to little muscle order, until you have a decent "circuit".

The final circuit might look something like; Seated leg curl, seated leg extension, seated leg press, seated upper back row, seated chest press, seated shoulder press, biceps / preacher curl machine, triceps extension machine, ab machine.

(Notice I set the sample circuit in pull/push pair order? It is my belief that the "pull" tends to "warm up" the joint for the "push".)

It's just a start, it's just a suggestion. As she progresses you'll know what to do based on her interests and progress. Who knows, she might find herself moving towards yoga or modern dance as time moves on ...
    Last edited by joewattie; 09-28-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    joe Henry

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by safcpaul View Post
    60 year old woman with back pain. May I suggest rippletoes heavy squats and gomad routine
    Definitely GOMAD, but I'd suggest a 6-day PPL - get jacked or die trying. Add another half gallon if progress is too slow.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by puretonic11 View Post
    Hi, I'm going to be training my mom with her workout. She is 60 years old and often suffers from back pain. I think her pain is related to her weak core muscles. However, I'm not familiar with designing workout routines for elderly people that just want to improve their health condition as opposed to bodybuilding.

Any suggestion on which exercises I should include for her to overcome her back pain? how many sets/reps/per week? and intensity? and any other recommendation would be appreciated, Thanks!
    As we all know, you have to hinge, squat, push, pull, lunge and do loaded carries. The hinging, squatting and lunging should be taught without added weight. Proper hinging technique will shift bodyweight onto the muscles and away from the skeleton and will go far in reducing back pain. Don't add weight to the squat until she can go ATG with a straight back. Invest or get your mother to invest in an inexpensive suspension trainer, so she can gradually load pulls. For pushes she can start standing against a wall and gradually move to a prone position. A chin up bar is invaluable for decompressing the spine at the end of a workout. Deadhangs rule.
    Start at 10-15 easy reps. That's my 2 cents.

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    As we all know, you have to hinge, squat, push, pull, lunge and do loaded carries. The hinging, squatting and lunging should be taught without added weight. Proper hinging technique will shift bodyweight onto the muscles and away from the skeleton and will go far in reducing back pain. Don't add weight to the squat until she can go ATG with a straight back. Invest or get your mother to invest in an inexpensive suspension trainer, so she can gradually load pulls. For pushes she can start standing against a wall and gradually move to a prone position. A chin up bar is invaluable for decompressing the spine at the end of a workout. Deadhangs rule.
    Start at 10-15 easy reps. That's my 2 cents.
    I'd listen to this guy, he is like 100 years old himself!