yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Making friends at the gym

Hi everyone

I was wondering what you all think about making friends at the gym? I know this seems lame to ask, but I have drifted away from my school friends and I'm quite shy.

I'd like some friends that have similar interests to me but I've never tried making friends in the 'real world'.

Has anybody here met friends at the gym?

user4894514884 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user4894514884 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user4894514884 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user4894514884 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user4894514884 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user4894514884 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user4894514884 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user4894514884 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user4894514884 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user4894514884 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user4894514884 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    some of my best friends i have met at the gym!
    I think it's a great place to meet people with similar interests!
    Same lifestyles and goals!
    GO HARD OR GO HOME

yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50) yaymelissa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    but how!

my boyfriend said i have to smile at people and ask them a question to start a conversation

what if they dont want to talk to me or think im weird? usually i walk with my head down and avoid eye contact

how can i become more confident? should i take a public speaking class lol

ALWAYS double taps. carbonmade78's Avatar
    carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by yaymelissa View Post
    but how!

my boyfriend said i have to smile at people and ask them a question to start a conversation

what if they dont want to talk to me or think im weird? usually i walk with my head down and avoid eye contact

how can i become more confident? should i take a public speaking class lol
    Hmm. I've asked this myself sometimes.. I'd love to make some gym buddies, but if they're anything like me, they would HATE to be interrupted while lifting!

I guess maybe you could chat some people up in a cardio/yoga class? (If you go to those, that is..)
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

Flaringo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flaringo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flaringo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flaringo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flaringo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flaringo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flaringo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flaringo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flaringo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flaringo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flaringo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    but how!

They will and they won't.

Just try and practise, it's the only way you are going to get better at it.

mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Making friends at the gym

Don't think that way bout yourself, the reason why you go to the gym is also to boost your self esteem and be confident.

If you always think that people would think your crazy then youre gonna have a hard time making friends there.

Just smile and ask questions, like: "So how long did it take for you to reach your goal?" Is it possible I could do that too?" Then smile...

Don't walk starin at the ground... =) Chin up chin up!!! =)

AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yah I have met ppl at the gym mostly woman who have the same interests in me I have taken core classes, and I think that smiling is a must, sometimes people will come to you. Yah I wouldn't interupt ppl when they are working out, I know alot of males more so than woman get frustrated when ppl try to talk to them when they are lifting but if you see someone stretching or something, I think that smiling or acting interested in the workouts they are doing to start convo would help. I have the same problem as you in the sense that all my friends have gone away to school it sucks. And if ppl think your weird for being out going and a genuine nice person thats their problem!! Hope this helps good luck!
    "Nothing happens until I make it happen"

Amanda

Atheena will become famous soon enough. (+50) Atheena will become famous soon enough. (+50) Atheena will become famous soon enough. (+50) Atheena will become famous soon enough. (+50) Atheena will become famous soon enough. (+50) Atheena will become famous soon enough. (+50) Atheena will become famous soon enough. (+50) Atheena will become famous soon enough. (+50) Atheena will become famous soon enough. (+50) Atheena will become famous soon enough. (+50) Atheena will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i've made a lot of guy friends at the gym. im there so much that i have my morning group and my evening group. just appear friendly works for me
    ~*~A sound healthy body and a light happy spirit are worth more than gold or treasury.~*~

lol how can i appear friendly and approachable, its so intimidating at my gym because theres the ladies room and the regular room.

In the ladies room its mainly women who are way older than me and in the regular section its 99% guys. I get nervous and keep my head down or look straight ahead. i don't mean to seem like a snob or anything its just intimidating being around so many men

ahh what to doo

nurseerikam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nurseerikam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nurseerikam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nurseerikam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nurseerikam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nurseerikam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nurseerikam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nurseerikam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nurseerikam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nurseerikam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nurseerikam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

I will tell you what happened with me:

I met my best friend at the gym exactly how someone else told you to approach someone: How do you do that? Bam! A lifting partner and friend.

I made friends with a man at the gym and BAM! I am sleeping with him (regardless of the fact that he is a trainer).

STAY AWAY FROM THE MEN.

Find a girl, one that has the type of body you want and ask her for advice! Not only will you have a friend but someone who can teach. I love it when I get asked. Benefits you both!

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I go there to train...not looking to make friends.

Good luck!

Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by carbonmade78 View Post
    but if they're anything like me, they would HATE to be interrupted while lifting!

I guess maybe you could chat some people up in a cardio/yoga class? (If you go to those, that is..)
    I'm the same way, when I go to the gym I'm there to lift. Honestly not somewhere that I want to make friends, it's just too distracting. Half the people at my gym seem to spend more time talking then lifting, and personally I'd rather not spend all day at the gym. I just want to finish my work out and get out. I go with my husband most the time and hardly talk to him there.

I'm a nice person, and I could use more friends, but the gym just isn't my kind of social scene.

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    I go there to train...not looking to make friends.

Good luck!

I go to the gym to train too obviously but I've got no school friends left, so if I meet a somebody with similar interests to me then whats the harm in making a friend.

SonKev has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SonKev has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SonKev has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SonKev has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SonKev has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SonKev has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I go to the gym to train too obviously but I've got no school friends left, so if I meet a somebody with similar interests to me then whats the harm in making a friend.
    Well you've gotta have atleast one good friend left at school right? :P Or a neighbor and friends at church? (my case)

What im getting at (im like really shy, dont have a gf...lol) is if i have a really good friend with me, its easier to talk to other people at the gym to make friends, so when i have a buddy with me its really nice and not so intimidating for me...

Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've made friends at the gym but it is often other who approach me. Mainly it is guys looking over going "how much are you lifting?". It takes a while before they will start to talk to you but i have met quite a few people at the gym and i don't mind talking to them.

Again, depending on the gym i go to i make different friends. If i go to a real gym, i usually make training friends and i am the only girl in the group (we train strongman style so it can get hardcore). At LA Fitness i usually end up talking to the gym who are the powerlifters or some bodybuilders and we talk business and other such fun stuff.

I actually have to Email one of them tomorrow because we are trying to get a group together to go to the ronnie coleman classic in April.

Fitness-Chic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitness-Chic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitness-Chic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitness-Chic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitness-Chic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitness-Chic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitness-Chic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitness-Chic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitness-Chic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitness-Chic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitness-Chic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi everyone

I was wondering what you all think about making friends at the gym? I know this seems lame to ask, but I have drifted away from my school friends and I'm quite shy.

I'd like some friends that have similar interests to me but I've never tried making friends in the 'real world'.

Your a pretty girl and you sound friendly.... I am sure you will have no problem meeting people. Put a smile on your face and hit the gym. I am sure you will draw in some people.

I agree with one of the other poster thou. Stay with the female friends. You are more likly to workout with a female then a male anyways only.

For anyone who took offeense to the not lifting with a male comment. I didnt mean that no women should or do lift with men I just ment that it is more likly that she will find a female with her goals and at her strength then she is to find a man with the same goals and strength.

tsiparlanaeht has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tsiparlanaeht has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tsiparlanaeht has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tsiparlanaeht has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tsiparlanaeht has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tsiparlanaeht has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tsiparlanaeht has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tsiparlanaeht has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tsiparlanaeht has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tsiparlanaeht has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tsiparlanaeht has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    what gym you go too?

you look very familiar
    Owe 2 reps to: BBNobu

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.Stercs.▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Φ8----------------OΦ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

futbolista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futbolista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futbolista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futbolista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futbolista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futbolista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futbolista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futbolista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futbolista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futbolista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futbolista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have more gym acquaintances than friends, but the relationships I do have all happened fairly organically. I have people I exchange a few words with whenever I see them, but then we both get down to our workouts (or back to work if they're employees). If you recognize someone who's there at the same time as you often, start giving them a smile or a nod. Doesn't detract from either of your workouts, but you're acknowledging them as someone you "know".

CTpump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CTpump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CTpump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CTpump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CTpump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CTpump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CTpump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CTpump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CTpump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CTpump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CTpump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'd say making friends at the gym is a good confidence booster

Julie01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Julie01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi everyone

I am in the "making friends" phase at the gym. I used to walk around the gym w/ my head down and now that I have been going there religiously for 8 months (5 - 6 days a week @ the same time) I see the same people. I have been smiling at people that I see everyday. Now I say hi and sometimes I ask how they're doing.

This is what has been happening to me: I find that guys will come up to me and say "you should be doing this, instead of this", or some guy (never met/seen before) bought my smoothie for me @ the juice bar... And then I see them around and say hey how are you... Or I'll ask them, if I want to work out my back, what would be a good back exercise?

Another way to make friends is by sharing the equipment. If you have a girl waiting on your machine and you have quite a few sets left, ask them if they want to rotate... I've made some girl friends like this.

I go to the gym by myself because my 2 gym partners are either working or school and can only make it like 1 day a week. So, I get bored by myself w/ no one to talk to.. This helps me get through my workout routine.

happily married hottie! aznprincess's Avatar
    aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000)
    it's like making friends anywhere else.
    if you see the person more than once smile at them and say hi. next time you see them strike up a quick conversation like: hey, just thought i'd say that i wish i could get results like you. you look great. then after they smile and say thank you get out of their way. or if they want to talk your in.

then ask them if they train at your gym regularly. if they say yes ask them if they had ever thought about a training partner cause you could help one another... you could do this after seeing them like 10x's (ie, a lot)

best thing is not to move too fast as this come off hella weird.

we usually make friends with people who have similar interests, are also looking for a friend, people we find ourselves around frequently.

1. be interested in the other person and their goals
    2. ask questions specific to training
    3. don't ever get in their way or interrupt them or take up too much of their time
    4. smile
    5. always acknowledge them when you see them

also, make friends with the ladies. you're really pretty and i can guarantee you the guys are going to be interested. if that's what you want then go for it but for the most part if you're really looking for friends, stick with the ladies.

now if a guy approaches you, you can control the direction of that relationship so befriend away. i just wouldn't approach the guys unless you really need advice about a lift.

happily married hottie! aznprincess's Avatar
    aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000)
    lol how can i appear friendly and approachable, its so intimidating at my gym because theres the ladies room and the regular room.

In the ladies room its mainly women who are way older than me and in the regular section its 99% guys. I get nervous and keep my head down or look straight ahead. i don't mean to seem like a snob or anything its just intimidating being around so many men

ahh what to doo
    btw, friends come at all ages and a woman vs a girl might take much more interest in your training and getting to know you than a girl your age. don't discriminate based off of age.

if you want to make clubbing friends, go to the club or a bar and be friendly ^^^rules above apply.