Thread: Weak Back

Bean02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weak Back

I'm fairly new to bodybuilding and weight-training and would really appreciate some advice.

I've been getting a lot of newb gains everywhere except my back, and this is the body part that I think needs muscle the most. Genetically speaking, everyone in my family has a pretty weak back (upper and lower) which causes me to worry about my future health.

What exercises would everyone here on the forum recommend to strengthen my back? I can't do a pull up, but would like to work to get there. My gym is fairly limited though. For back all I have is a lat pull down machine and a seated row machine (and of course basic free weights).

Thanks in advance and any help is greatly appreciated.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lot of different muscles all over the back to hit. You got the lats, erector spinae, lower back, and more.

You have to pull weight down to you from the top, pull it in from the front, use different grips, and it helps to do shoulder work.

I recommend getting good at each exercise. Of course use the lat pull-down, but try to advance on it a little before you start getting good at another exercise. Do the seated cable row, but try to learn how to do dumbbell rows and barbell rows just on the side. Learn supplementary shoulder exercises like upright rows, but don't try to go to heavy on them right now. Shoulder exercises would include the trapezius which covers a lot of area on the back. Hyperextensions are good for the lower back, but me, and from what I've heard, other people get a stressed out and/or sore back from doing those, so just be cautious. Finally, a lot of people do Deadlifts on back day. They are a glute/ham exercise that involves hip extension and erector spinae isolation. Great exercise.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

TrippleA is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrippleA is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrippleA is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrippleA is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrippleA is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrippleA is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrippleA is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrippleA is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrippleA is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrippleA is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrippleA is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Bean02 View Post
    I'm fairly new to bodybuilding and weight-training and would really appreciate some advice.

I've been getting a lot of newb gains everywhere except my back, and this is the body part that I think needs muscle the most. Genetically speaking, everyone in my family has a pretty weak back (upper and lower) which causes me to worry about my future health.

What exercises would everyone here on the forum recommend to strengthen my back? I can't do a pull up, but would like to work to get there. My gym is fairly limited though. For back all I have is a lat pull down machine and a seated row machine (and of course basic free weights).

Thanks in advance and any help is greatly appreciated.
    if you talk about genetic then you should know that if you dont have the right genetic for bodybuilding then you will work harder and dont worry about your future

" if you want it just wait for it its coming "

and about the ex try to as much as you can for pullups cause alot of people can pulldown 300 lb but they cant pull up for 3x10 , so try to do even 4-6 reps each set to get streght in your back and its a mass building ex

seated raw , db raw, bent over raw are good two

and remember if you developed your lower back well then your upper will do the same

good luck

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you should look into one of those doorway pullup bars and install it at home and get your reps up.

You can make it a goal to be able to reach 5 straight pullups in the two weeks.
    Some people have rep targets to meet a day when they are first starting out. Like 20. They may only do them 1 at a time whenever they walk in and out a certain room. In time once you're able to 1 you can do 2. Your body will grow and adapt.

Also just for kicks, deadlifts are one of the best exercise that WILL strengthen your back:

Last edited by k9pit; 07-13-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Pull Ups
    Lat PullDown
    Vertical Seated Row
    Pull Ups
    DeadLifts

These will get your back strong in just a few months. Try to go a bit more then the previous time. The stronger your mid and lower back is the stronger everything els gets.