Registered User ProgrammerHunch's Avatar
    ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Landmine press - Overhead Press alternative?

Overhead press pretty much murders both my shoulders. I got diagnosed with torn labrums in both, though they are only minorly torn. Small SLAP tear in left, small posterior tear in right.

Anyway been experimenting. It seems that kneeling landmine press (one handed) is far easier on the shoulders, like almost no pain! But I'm wondering, is this a legit alternative?

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why wouldn't it be?
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Why wouldn't it be?
    I've heard that is more like an alternative to incline bench press than it is an alternative to overhead press. Looking to get the same benefits as overhead press ideally. Or even just most of the same benefits.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ProgrammerHunch View Post
    I've heard that is more like an alternative to incline bench press than it is an alternative to overhead press. Looking to get the same benefits as overhead press ideally. Or even just most of the same benefits.
    The angles are kinda in between both.

But you DO get the free scapula movement on landmine press that you get on Ohp.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It seems that kneeling landmine press (one handed) is far easier on the shoulders, like almost no pain! But I'm wondering, is this a legit alternative?
    If you keep your arm closer to the side rather than in front of you, and if you lean forward a bit as you do it, it'll be closer to an OHP and less like an incline press.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    The angles are kinda in between both.

But you DO get the free scapula movement on landmine press that you get on Ohp.
    That may be good enough for me. My guess is it wouldn't work the lateral delts as well as OHP does, so maybe substituting it with not just landmine press, but also lateral raises? Maybe not a big deal.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    If you keep your arm closer to the side rather than in front of you, and if you lean forward a bit as you do it, it'll be closer to an OHP and less like an incline press.
    That's a good point, I can see how that would make it pretty similar.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That may be good enough for me. My guess is it wouldn't work the lateral delts as well as OHP does, so maybe substituting it with not just landmine press, but also lateral raises? Maybe not a big deal.
    Unless your Ohp is very wide grip or btn.

Is not great for side delts anyway
    FMH crew - Couch.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Landmine pressing irritates the hell out of my elbows.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Really the only true answer for yourself will come from trying them out.
    If it's a bodybuilding thing for you see how they feel on the delts.
    Yes the angle could be like a high incline but we know if we did high incline presses the delts would take much of the stress/work.
    There are also handles you can but to slip over the bar for presses that might feel better.
    Keep experimenting and you may find the type landmine movement thats best for you.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've seen exactly what you're describing recommended for people with shoulder issues. While I was rehabbing my shoulders, I used a Viking press attachment to do landmine presses and that worked pretty well. I'm back to barbell pressing and hopefully going to stick with it. I didn't have any tears though, so YMMV.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As someone with a history of shoulder problems, you should probably get those injuries taken care of ASAP.

Torn labrums and SLAP tears do not heal on their own.

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    As someone with a history of shoulder problems, you should probably get those injuries taken care of ASAP.

Torn labrums and SLAP tears do not heal on their own.
    With the pandemic getting surgery done would be a lot harder, if not impossible. Plus surgery is risky, it needs to be done right and there are a lot of doctors who don't really know what they are doing. And ultimately I could just tear it again. I have a Buford complex which makes SLAP tears far more likely to happen than with most people. And of course I would lose all the muscle I worked hard for. May be best to just cope with what's there.

I've been working out with my SLAP tear for years, hasn't gotten worse. Rotator cuff strengthening got rid of the impingement symptoms, though there is still a good deal of pain. It sucks yea, if I massage it enough it won't hurt. My posterior tear in my right shoulder on the other hand, still figuring out how to deal with that one. It's a newer injury.

2 torn and unrepaired abrums and permanent Ac and Cv seperation crew. (from contact sports not the iron) going on 25+ years now.

Surgery isnt needed for a large % of this ****.
    Just building the surrounding muscle up and managing your acute:chronic workload does wonders. And is often a much better course of action that surgery that actually has pretty high failure rates.

Hell... The amount of people with badly torn labrums and ZERO symptoms is comical. As many people with perfect labrums have as much pain and as many issues as those whose are physically ravaged.
    FMH crew - Couch.

BigDaddy324 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDaddy324 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDaddy324 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDaddy324 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDaddy324 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDaddy324 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDaddy324 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDaddy324 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDaddy324 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDaddy324 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDaddy324 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do whateva u wanna do op

VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Overhead press pretty much murders both my shoulders. I got diagnosed with torn labrums in both, though they are only minorly torn. Small SLAP tear in left, small posterior tear in right.

Anyway been experimenting. It seems that kneeling landmine press (one handed) is far easier on the shoulders, like almost no pain! But I'm wondering, is this a legit alternative?
    I performed half kneeling landmine presses for a while.

One recommendation is elevate the landmine either on your rack or some type of box. Mine was placed on a step up about 20" tall. It makes the motion more vertical and more like OHP.

And slight lean forward as mentioned above.

I absolutely loved the movement until weight got heavier and I couldn't hold the barbell with a straight wrist. The thickness of the barbell sleeve caused me to bend my wrist and it would end up bothering my wrist.

But give it a try. I think it's a terrific movement.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    2 torn and unrepaired abrums and permanent Ac and Cv seperation crew. (from contact sports not the iron) going on 25+ years now.

Surgery isnt needed for a large % of this ****.
    Just building the surrounding muscle up and managing your acute:chronic workload does wonders. And is often a much better course of action that surgery that actually has pretty high failure rates.

Hell... The amount of people with badly torn labrums and ZERO symptoms is comical. As many people with perfect labrums have as much pain and as many issues as those whose are physically ravaged.
    Wow you got it a lot worse than me. I also have an issue with my right SC joint, it protrudes when I retract my shoulders and is clearly visible. Only bothers me doing pull-ups, but if my form is perfect then it only hurts a little bit.

You might give massage a try. It has done wonders for both shoulders but mainly my left shoulder (the one with the SLAP tear). Massage all of the bicep region, anterior delt, pec, as well as stretching them takes away all the pain no matter how hard I press but it takes time to massage that whole area as well as it needs to be. I stretch them after warm-up and massage and very carefully otherwise I aggravate it. A baseball against a hard surface is perfect, no other massage device seems to do it. Massage is #1.

Originally Posted by VTLifts View Post
    I performed half kneeling landmine presses for a while.

One recommendation is elevate the landmine either on your rack or some type of box. Mine was placed on a step up about 20" tall. It makes the motion more vertical and more like OHP.

And slight lean forward as mentioned above.

I absolutely loved the movement until weight got heavier and I couldn't hold the barbell with a straight wrist. The thickness of the barbell sleeve caused me to bend my wrist and it would end up bothering my wrist.

But give it a try. I think it's a terrific movement.
    I have a garage gym due to the pandemic. My landmine is attached to a half rack. I might be able to do this, would need to elevate the back of the half rack.

I also have bad wrists though lol. But it might be OK we'll see.

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    they're fine op

it's best not to worry about the subtle difference between the exercises, there are always substitutes and variations that in many cases that are just as good, you don't need to necessarily do a barbell overhead press

do what doesn't hurt and irritate your shoulders
    positivity brah crew
    dont take my posts too srs crew srs
    JFL @ everything crew
    lol @ tradies srs crew
    BIG LOL @ sky tradies srs crew (RealAesthetic)
    indian crew
    living in clown world crew so screw it crew
    anti-degen crew

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wow you got it a lot worse than me. I also have an issue with my right SC joint, it protrudes when I retract my shoulders and is clearly visible. Only bothers me doing pull-ups, but if my form is perfect then it only hurts a little bit.

You might give massage a try. It has done wonders for both shoulders but mainly my left shoulder (the one with the SLAP tear). Massage all of the bicep region, anterior delt, pec, as well as stretching them takes away all the pain no matter how hard I press but it takes time to massage that whole area as well as it needs to be. I stretch them after warm-up and massage and very carefully otherwise I aggravate it. A baseball against a hard surface is perfect, no other massage device seems to do it. Massage is #1.
    You may wanna look into a massage gun. They are well worth the price.

ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do a lot of landmine presses at home. Two armed is closer to an incline bench.

I alternate between one arm landmine press straight ahead and on my other workout I do angled landmine press at about 45 degrees.

I don’t think landmine press is a complete replacement but if ohp is too painful then it’s good enough.