DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Workout for an 11 year old hockey player?

My little brother plays hockey, but he is a little small. I want to make him a workout where he can gain strength and become an even quicker skater. I was thinking giving him a hiit workout, but I'm unsure. What workout would work best for him? Thanks!

Raxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    pushups and situps and MAYBE some 10-15 pound dumbells.

if you work him out to hard/force him hes not gonna wanna work out anymore and is gonna grow dislike for hockey b/c he'll think he has to do all this to play the sport.
    University of Florida

DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DrPhysique has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Raxx View Post
    pushups and situps and MAYBE some 10-15 pound dumbells.

if you work him out to hard/force him hes not gonna wanna work out anymore and is gonna grow dislike for hockey b/c he'll think he has to do all this to play the sport.
    But the thing is, he wants to do this. He's already doing push-ups, sit-ups and some cardio. I just figured I'm make an actual workout for him.

@JeromeWeinberg

Please tell me you're joking or trying to troll me...

Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DrPhysique View Post
    @JeromeWeinberg

Please tell me you're joking or trying to troll me...
    What's wrong with his idea? He'd benefit the most from that more than likely. If you want to be a good hockey player you need to be strong. Not just "toned" or "big"

JeromeWeinberg, I thought it went like this? Was that somebody's variation?

A day

3x5 back squat
    3x5 barbell bench press
    1x5 deadlift
    2x8 chin ups

B day

3x5 back squats
    3x5 standing overhead press
    1x5 deadlift
    2x8 dips

ABA, BAB, repeat
    I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13
    Jesus is my Savior. I am proud to call myself a Christian
    Biochemistry Major, Biology and History Minor; Student Researcher

Deadlift: 507
    Squat: 385
    Bench: 322
    Total: 1214

Libertarian Party USA

Originally Posted by Maxwell1995 View Post
    What's wrong with his idea? He'd benefit the most from that more than likely. If you want to be a good hockey player you need to be strong. Not just "toned" or "big"
    He's 11 years old. I don't think training with weights like that in SS would be good the best for him.

dannytin is not very well liked. (-100) dannytin is not very well liked. (-100) dannytin is not very well liked. (-100) dannytin is not very well liked. (-100) dannytin is not very well liked. (-100) dannytin is not very well liked. (-100) dannytin is not very well liked. (-100) dannytin is not very well liked. (-100) dannytin is not very well liked. (-100) dannytin is not very well liked. (-100) dannytin is not very well liked. (-100)
    Here is a perfect sculpted routine for an 11 y/o;

eat
    eat
    eat
    eat
    eat
    eat
    eat
    eat
    eat
    eat
    eat
    eat
    Starting weight: 125lbs
    ------------------------------
    #3... Always
    ------------------------------
    Rest in Peace Az
    ~1989-2011~

Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DrPhysique View Post
    He's 11 years old. I don't think training with weights like that in SS would be good the best for him.
    Yes, it would be for gaining strength. He'll be fine. I did stupid workouts when I was younger and went nowhere. Then I actually followed a program set up by somebody who knows a LOT about the human body and especially muscular physiology and hypertrophy. I followed RSS and my strength and size went through the roof. Just make sure he's doing the exercises with proper form and he won't have any problems. Don't try to set him up on something like an unmodified version of PHAT or something with high, high volume. It's hard for me sometimes and he especially won't get far doing a ton of volume at his age.
    I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13
    Jesus is my Savior. I am proud to call myself a Christian
    Biochemistry Major, Biology and History Minor; Student Researcher

Deadlift: 507
    Squat: 385
    Bench: 322
    Total: 1214

Libertarian Party USA

CawkBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CawkBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CawkBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CawkBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CawkBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CawkBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CawkBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CawkBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CawkBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CawkBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CawkBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you want him to be fast/explosive/strong etc get him onto a plyometric routine. A plyometric routine would be more beneficial for him with hockey. Will edit this in a few minutes and post a example routine

bro just get your brother to type in youtube "Plyometric Hockey training" there are so many videos of example routines and exercises etc which are actually demonstrated by some elite hockey players. but things like squats, box jumps, clean and jerks etc.

But best thing to do is just search it in youtube.
    Last edited by CawkBrah; 11-12-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Tyler8746 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tyler8746 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tyler8746 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tyler8746 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tyler8746 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tyler8746 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tyler8746 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tyler8746 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tyler8746 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Practice makes perfect.

SilverBackk will become famous soon enough. (+50) SilverBackk will become famous soon enough. (+50) SilverBackk will become famous soon enough. (+50) SilverBackk will become famous soon enough. (+50) SilverBackk will become famous soon enough. (+50) SilverBackk will become famous soon enough. (+50) SilverBackk will become famous soon enough. (+50) SilverBackk will become famous soon enough. (+50) SilverBackk will become famous soon enough. (+50) SilverBackk will become famous soon enough. (+50) SilverBackk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you don't want him on teh weights heres a bodyweight routine:

Pistol squats (progress into them)
    Pullups
    Dips, proper dips (parallel bars) not bench dips
    Inverted rows
    Pushups
    Plank variations
    Calf raises

Repeat in circuit fashion 1 or 2 more times. Don't skip any of the exercises. Do dis liek thrice a week

Originally Posted by CawkBrah View Post
    If you want him to be fast/explosive/strong etc get him onto a plyometric routine. A plyometric routine would be more beneficial for him with hockey. Will edit this in a few minutes and post a example routine

bro just get your brother to type in youtube "Plyometric Hockey training" there are so many videos of example routines and exercises etc which are actually demonstrated by some elite hockey players. but things like squats, box jumps, clean and jerks etc.

But best thing to do is just search it in youtube.
    Ah, good thinking! I actually used to do those workouts when I played goalie. We had a professional trainer make us do this stuff. I'll whip up a workout like this.