Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

******BCAA Dosage Thread.*******

Almost everyday there is a thread asking how much and when to take BCAA so I'm making a thread with several different BCAA protocol's that I recomend (not all together).

BCAA Protocols

1. 10-15g upon waking. This will get you quickly back into a positive nitrogen balance after fasting for 6+ hours while sleeping.

2. 5-20g preworkout. Help give you some extra energy before you workout. Personally I take 15g preworkout and feel much stronger and more energized than when I forget to.

3. 5-15g during workout

4. 5-20g post workout with carbs followed 15 minutes later by another protein source (I take my BCAA with some malto/dex and then whey 15 minutes later)

5. " Christian Thibaudeau's BCAA Protocols

Christian Thibaudeau is on the high end of the scale, but the results speak for themselves:

"Over the past year, I've had several clients gain up to 8 pounds of lean mass in 2 weeks using my protocol. While most of my clients don't gain 8 pounds in two weeks, most will gain an average of 1-2 pounds per week over the first 8 weeks of use."

Here's what Christian recommends:

5 servings of 5-10 grams per day (i.e. about 4 to 8 Biotest BCAA tablets):

1. Upon waking up (especially if you engage in pre-breakfast cardio).

2. Between breakfast and lunch.

3. Between lunch and supper.

4. Mid-evening.

5. Before going to bed.

"Each serving would ideally be 10 grams; that will give you the best gains by far. The results are very close to being drug-like, and I'm not one to say this lightly. I put my reputation on the line."

6. Chad Waterbury's BCAA Protocols

Chad Waterbury has devised several BCAA protocols for his clients, some as high as 20 grams per serving and some as low as 3 grams per serving.

One of his favorites, though, is his "Mid-Sleep BCAA Protocol for Cutting or Bulking."

"I've long stressed the importance of night-time feedings for growth and recovery. Problem is, most people don't want to get up in the middle of the night and have a protein shake. But with a good BCAA supplement, all they need to do is have the pills sitting next to their alarm clock with a glass of water. They wake up briefly, take the pills, and they're back asleep."

Chad's nighttime protocol calls for 1.5 grams of BCAA per 25 pounds of lean body mass. In other words, a 200-pound man would take roughly 8 Biotest BCAA tablets upon awakening.

Chad is also big on using BCAA for cutting, for which he prescribes 0.75 grams of BCAA per 25 pounds of LBM four times a day, between meals. (That equals about 4 Biotest BCAA tablets 4 times a day, for the prototypical 200-pound man.)

7. John Berardi's BCAA Protocols

While Christian and Chad probably represent two ends of the BCAA dose spectrum, nutritionist John Berardi's preferences lie somewhere in the middle.

For muscle gain or athletic performance, John recommends:

Non-Training Days: 4 Biotest BCAA tablets (roughly 5 grams), 2 or 3 times a day, split evenly throughout the day.

Training days: 4 Biotest BCAA tablets upon waking, 4 tablets during training, and 4 tablets after training, the two latter doses being in addition to a serving of Biotest's Surge.

However, John also has a pretty interesting protocol that he uses on himself every couple of years to get super ripped. Get this, John Berardi, Mr. "Massive Eating" himself, will occasionally go on a stint where he eats 3 meals a day, totaling about 2,000 calories, interspersed with three 10-gram "feedings" of BCAA.

The large amounts of BCAA offset any potential muscle loss from the fairly severe bout of calorie restriction.

As you can see, the recommended dosages vary. However, I think it's absolutely clear that BCAA are a valuable and indispensable tool for building muscle, improving athletic performance, or maintaining muscle while losing body fat. "

8.Charles Poliquin has recommended 40 grams per workout

" Mega-Dose BCAAs

Now, during workout the most important thing is Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs). People who claim they don't get results from them simply don't take enough. A 200 pound man should take 40 grams of BCAAs during a workout. I also add 9 grams of Carnosine.

I make my own amino acid blend capsules and find that you can train much harder with them and not get sore. In between sets you take four or five capsules. My athletes might go through 40 or 50 capsules per workout. We just dump about fifty capsules in a bottle and make sure they're all gone by the end of the workout. I find that to be very anabolic. Most people who try that protocol break their plateaus right away.

BCAAs have a host of research-supported benefits including preventing catabolism, stimulating anabolism, lowering DOMS, and providing endurance, energy, and an increased rate of recovery. Military personnel in many countries now receive BCAA solutions to prevent mental fatigue during maneuvers."

Poliquin usually recommends a 4:1:1 ration of leucine:isoleucine:valine

9. Layne Norton
    5g at breakfast, 5g preworkout, & 15g post
    Last edited by olinerules87; 02-24-2008 at 04:54 PM.

JakeDub is just really nice. (+1000) JakeDub is just really nice. (+1000) JakeDub is just really nice. (+1000) JakeDub is just really nice. (+1000) JakeDub is just really nice. (+1000) JakeDub is just really nice. (+1000) JakeDub is just really nice. (+1000) JakeDub is just really nice. (+1000) JakeDub is just really nice. (+1000) JakeDub is just really nice. (+1000) JakeDub is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice post, but you made this because of Rodzilla's post didn't you? Lol, re-read with the sarcasm detectors on.

mullerhun will become famous soon enough. (+50) mullerhun will become famous soon enough. (+50) mullerhun will become famous soon enough. (+50) mullerhun will become famous soon enough. (+50) mullerhun will become famous soon enough. (+50) mullerhun will become famous soon enough. (+50) mullerhun will become famous soon enough. (+50) mullerhun will become famous soon enough. (+50) mullerhun will become famous soon enough. (+50) mullerhun will become famous soon enough. (+50) mullerhun will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    sounds interesting, but shouldnt be a normal protein shake do it most of the time? looks expensive so much bcaa a day
    i rep back

PSN ID: mullerhun

Prohormone Review Thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110346681

PH/DS Research? Start Here!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109153431

olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jake781 View Post
    Nice post, but you made this because of Rodzilla's post didn't you? Lol, re-read with the sarcasm detectors on.
    I've been thinking of doing this for a few days just got the time tonight so I did it.

Originally Posted by mullerhun View Post
    sounds interesting, but shouldnt be a normal protein shake do it most of the time? looks expensive so much bcaa a day
    I eat about 2g protein per pound of BW and still take in extra BCAA. It won't hurt. and yes it can be expensive but if you buy BCAA from the right places you can get them for pretty cheap

DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by olinerules87 View Post

I eat about 2g protein per pound of BW and still take in extra BCAA. It won't hurt. and yes it can be expensive but if you buy BCAA from the right places you can get them for pretty cheap
    Of course it won't hurt...but how exactly do you feel taking in extra ffAA's throughout the day helps in anyway if you're getting in 2g protein per pound?
    “When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

~-~-~The Brain Bulwark~-~-~
    www.masterminds.thebrainbulwark.com
    Free E-Book for 5 ways to improve your cognition and mental abilities.

Originally Posted by DaveGabe24 View Post
    Of course it won't hurt...but how exactly do you feel taking in extra ffAA's throughout the day helps in anyway if you're getting in 2g protein per pound?
    right now I only take 15g preworkout since my protein intake is so high. If your intake is lower I think taking them throughout the day would be more helpful than someone a 2g/lb

I'm not trying to say bcaa are at all a "necessary" supplement either.

damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    right now I only take 15g preworkout since my protein intake is so high. If your intake is lower I think taking them throughout the day would be more helpful than someone a 2g/lb

when on a new program or taking steroids they definately help,i would n ot gain what i did on havoc without following the same dosing protocols and saw a 28 pound gain in my first havoc cycle,nor the 10 pounds in 12 days i gained on this 1,also good for when comming off to maintain muscle that you dont want to lose.

DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000) DaveGabe24 is a name known to all. (+5000)

I totally agree with you. I just see lot's of people blindly supplement with amino acids not really understanding that they don't pose such great benefits when your protein intake is already high. I do enjoy them around workouts though.

sdsu28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sdsu28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sdsu28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sdsu28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sdsu28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sdsu28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sdsu28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sdsu28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sdsu28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sdsu28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sdsu28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I take BCAA's during my workout.
    5'8 190
    Bench-265
    Leg Press-630

Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    @ this thread......
    HALEO Lead Forum Representative

Echo in Eternity

Store Link - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/haleo.html
    ******** Page - www.********.com/pages/HALEO-Worldwide-Inc/344612048892858

Originally Posted by Elliptical Envy View Post
    @ this thread......
    what are you confused about?

dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I totally agree with you. I just see lot's of people blindly supplement with amino acids not really understanding that they don't pose such great benefits when your protein intake is already high. I do enjoy them around workouts though.
    I think even on a high protein diet, they can be useful. You don't need the doses of someone cutting on 1-1.5 g/lb, but I think 10-20 grams is pretty useful throughout the day even on a high protein bulk

Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    what are you confused about?
    Is this supposed to be some kind of definitive post? I know someone is going to mix all methods together so they can GFH!

Echo in Eternity

damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is this supposed to be some kind of definitive post? I know someone is going to mix all methods together so they can GFH!
    ok,less protein in diet,more amino acids to make up for it,what can i say?lately ive been drinking a 3rd of my protein from just eaa's(70 grams throughout the day) and i know when to take my aminos as theirs parts in the day where my body is starved or muscle is broken down and 2 hours is too slow for catabolism

ps.too many amino acids in free from are not good for your liver with a high alcoholic diet,lots of pills or any oral steroid,we akready mess with out liver,amino acids is just another part of the occasion.,bcaa's can also gove an unbalance in high enough concentrainons so make sure its not just leucine,valine and isoluceine,unless your dosing less then 10 grams or so at once.
    Last edited by damnglass; 02-25-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Originally Posted by damnglass View Post
    ok,less protein in diet,more amino acids to make up for it,what can i say?lately ive been drinking a 3rd of my protein from just eaa's(70 grams throughout the day) and i know when to take my aminos as theirs parts in the day where my body is starved or muscle is broken down and 2 hours is too slow for catabolism

Echo in Eternity

Supp Misc Outkast digitalgoodtime's Avatar
    digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    and what brands do these people consider the best?
    vegetable-based protein ftw

on hiatus - too many douche bags here.....

potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    x2 LOL

not being definitive just trying tofigure out what you were confused about

user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i take 4 servings of extend, drop them in a gallon jug and sip on it all day. I usually drink the most between meals, and usually finish my gallon during the gym
    Gaspari Nutrition Rep and Overall BAMF
    www.gasparinutrition.com
    alec @ gasparinutrition.com

Turning into a pirate-grizzy bear hybrid! --- Bulkin to 230!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127371573

TRAIN INSANE: http://vimeo.com/7472199

Originally Posted by digitalgoodtime View Post
    and what brands do these people consider the best?
    I've heard good things about Xtend and CoreABC but personally, I stick with my instantinized bulk bcaa because they are about half the price and mix great.

people do need to be careful when they buy them that they are not just getting "amino acid" supplements and instead get BCAA or EAA. just plain amino acid supplements (such as aminofuel) are just overpriced whey and are a waste of money. IMO it is horrible that supplement companies sell plain amino acid supplements to people who don't know any better

Supp Misc Outkast digitalgoodtime's Avatar
    digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalgoodtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've heard good things about Xtend and CoreABC but personally, I stick with my instantinized bulk bcaa because they are about half the price and mix great.

people do need to be careful when they buy them that they are not just getting "amino acid" supplements and instead get BCAA or EAA. just plain amino acid supplements (such as aminofuel) are just overpriced whey and are a waste of money. IMO it is horrible that supplement companies sell plain amino acid supplements to people who don't know any better
    okay, i currently use the ON BCAA caps, but was considering the powder. glad to hear I don't have to spend a lot of money to get my BCAA's in. I was considering Xtend, Purple Wraath and Intrabolic but it seems like i should definitely stick with my basic ON BCAA's until i can make a more educated decision about Xtend/Intrabolic/Purple Wraath.
    vegetable-based protein ftw

on hiatus - too many douche bags here.....

Originally Posted by digitalgoodtime View Post
    okay, i currently use the ON BCAA caps, but was considering the powder. glad to hear I don't have to spend a lot of money to get my BCAA's in. I was considering Xtend, Purple Wraath and Intrabolic but it seems like i should definitely stick with my basic ON BCAA's until i can make a more educated decision about Xtend/Intrabolic/Purple Wraath.
    IntrAbolic does not belong next to those by any means. Yes it contains ffAA's, but that is just small part of the whole. Do some research around here, and you will quickly find why IntrAbolic is superior as far as an intra-workout product goes.

IntrAbolic does not belong next to those by any means. Yes it contains ffAA's, but that is just small part of the whole. Do some research around here, and you will quickly find why IntrAbolic is superior as far as an intra-workout product goes.
    just looked at intrabolic...looks like a good product. i like that it has hydro whey in it too

Charles Poliquinn:

Take Enough BCAAs

During workout the most important thing is Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs). People who claim they don't get results from them simply don't take enough. A 200 pound man should take 40 grams of BCAAs during a workout. I also add 9 grams of Carnosine. My athletes might go through 40 or 50 capsules per workout. We just dump about fifty capsules in a bottle and make sure they're all gone by the end of the workout. I find that to be very anabolic.

Most people who try this protocol break their plateaus right away. BCAAs have a host of research-supported benefits including preventing catabolism, stimulating anabolism, lowering DOMS, and providing endurance, energy, and an increased rate of recovery. Military personnel in many countries now receive BCAA solutions to prevent mental fatigue during maneuvers.

SuperPump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the list. It actually just prevented me from asking that exact question in a new post!

I do have one quick question that I was hoping someone could help me out with:

When you say,
    "2. 5-20g preworkout.
    3. 5-15g during workout
    4. 5-20g post workout with carbs"
    for example, what should the breakdown of "15g" be?

6g Leucine, 6g Valine, and 3g isoleucine?

I ask because I bought bulk BCAA powder from supplement direct.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by SuperPump; 03-11-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If one of you guys dig up the Elite Wrestler study on Pubmed you can find out how much these were using for those body composition changes.

Its been like 7-8 years since I read that one, but I thought it was something like .52 kg/kg per day.

They got nice results with that high dose while maintaining strength and performance.

Originally Posted by Phosphate bond View Post
    If one of you guys dig up the Elite Wrestler study on Pubmed you can find out how much these were using for those body composition changes.

Its been like 7-8 years since I read that one, but I thought it was something like .52 kg/kg per day.

They got nice results with that high dose while maintaining strength and performance.
    I'll have to dig that up.

Echo in Eternity

IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'll have to dig that up.
    If you find it post it here I would love to read that.
    "The road to salvation is through Christ"

Luke 1:74
    to rescue us from the hand of our enemies, and to enable us to serve him without fear

^Love is the power of the righteousness life that overcomes the fear that leads to sin, and the life in which God is pleased.

Originally Posted by IntensityX View Post
    If you find it post it here I would love to read that.
    I haven't had any luck as of yet. I'll be able to put in work when I get home in a few hours.

Echo in Eternity