hphillips18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

When should I start my reverse diet?

I planned on starting my lean bulk after my cutting phase. My cutting phase has lasted 6 months. I’m currently at 155 around12-13% bodyfat I’m guessing. (If you can check my photos and add your thoughts I’d appreciate it. But I wanted to start my lean bulk in 2 weeks but I want to reverse diet to help minimize fat gain as much as possible. Should I wait until 2 weeks or start now? I also was at 160 2 weeks ago, and my body weight dropped like 4-5 pounds out of no where. Which was weird but I was not trying to cut too fast. But I have been maintaining a steady cut so it didn’t make sense. If you guys could give me some insight that would be great! And maybe some reverse dieting tips and such. Appreciate you guys!

IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just slowly start adding calories to your current cutting calories, don't jump right away from (for example 2000 to 3000).

Start with just adding 100 calories to your current calories and add another 100 with each week passed until you've reached the number for your lean bulk. With that said, I'd advise you to not overdo it and just eat 200-300 calories above your new maintenance.
    Powerlifting 2020

hphillips18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by IvanNorge View Post
    Just slowly start adding calories to your current cutting calories, don't jump right away from (for example 2000 to 3000).

Start with just adding 100 calories to your current calories and add another 100 with each week passed until you've reached the number for your lean bulk. With that said, I'd advise you to not overdo it and just eat 200-300 calories above your new maintenance.
    Should I start not since I’m going to be under maintenance for a couple of weeks anyways or? My current macros are around 70g fat, 195g carbs, and 170g of protein. Should I just add the calories on carbs every week? I’m 5’7 155lbs. 19 years old

IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by hphillips18 View Post
    Should I start not since I’m going to be under maintenance for a couple of weeks anyways or? My current macros are around 70g fat, 195g carbs, and 170g of protein. Should I just add the calories on carbs every week? I’m 5’7 155lbs. 19 years old
    You can start now, yes. You will be under maintenance for a few weeks, which is fine but the 100-200 etc calories you'll be introducing each week, will give you additional energy in the gym.

Your macros seem fine to me, you can add the additional 100 calories wherever you feel like it. I'd personally add a bit of fat, say 10 grams which will be 90 calories.
    Powerlifting 2020

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by IvanNorge View Post
    You can start now, yes. You will be under maintenance for a few weeks, which is fine but the 100-200 etc calories you'll be introducing each week, will give you additional energy in the gym.

Your macros seem fine to me, you can add the additional 100 calories wherever you feel like it. I'd personally add a bit of fat, say 10 grams which will be 90 calories.
    just curious, is there any difference between these two?

a) go from 1800 (deficit) to 2300 (maintenance) overnight
    b) go from 1800 (deficit) to 2300 (maintenance) over the span of two weeks

i understand you don't want to transition from a deficit to surplus overnight, but what's wrong with deficit to maintenance?

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    just curious, is there any difference between these two?

a) go from 1800 (deficit) to 2300 (maintenance) overnight
    b) go from 1800 (deficit) to 2300 (maintenance) over the span of two weeks

i understand you don't want to transition from a deficit to surplus overnight, but what's wrong with deficit to maintenance?
    Basically nothing. Except that he may be overestimating his maintenance.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by hphillips18 View Post
    Should I start not since I’m going to be under maintenance for a couple of weeks anyways or?
    You can go back to maintenance much faster. Just keep in mind that your maintenance might be lower than previously.

My current macros are around 70g fat, 195g carbs, and 170g of protein. Should I just add the calories on carbs every week? I’m 5’7 155lbs. 19 years old
    You can add carbs, fat or protein. Do what you prefer.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Basically nothing. Except that he may be overestimating his maintenance.
    oh okay, thanks!

i guess the tapering from deficit to maintenance could be useful if you've been in a 500 calorie deficit for a long time, and want to make the last week(s) of your cut a little more chill

Registered User SubWooferCooker's Avatar
    SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    One of the biggest myths going, i never reverse diet and have gone straight from a 1000kcal+ deficit to my old maintenance or a small surplus and always end up looking learner after a week due to filling back out all glycogen stores. I have literally just finished a cut 4 day's ago having been in an 800-1000kcal deficit for a while, went straight back to my old maintenance over night. Adding 100 calories each week is ridiculous imo, reverse dieting is just what coaches use to keep clients paying up even after their diets finished.

If you have already been tracking your calories and weight you will be able to work out your current maintenance by how much weight you have been losing each week compared to your calorie intake per week. Your metabolism does adapt to a deficit but its by such a small amount that even if you went back to your old maintenance at the worst case you are going to be in a small surplus which is exactly what you would want if your goal is to start bulking anyway.

For example If you are losing 1lb per week at 2000kcal what do you think is going to happen if you go straight to 2500? nothing you are going to maintain, you will see weight gain due to glycogen stores filling but you are not going to be gaining any fat, if you were gaining fat that would mean you were in a surplus and would not have been loosing 1lb per week before hand eating 2000kcal.

The only time i would ever recommend reverse dieting is for people who struggle to go from a deficit to a surplus without overeating. Some people can't make the switch without going crazy and eating everything, in cases like that slowing brining calories up can help them transition. but for gaining fat post diet its a largely myth.
    Last edited by SubWooferCooker; 09-20-2020 at 02:06 AM.

anthonynathan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You are too small to make any cutting phase. Just keep bulking without any simple carbohydrates (white bread, white rice, any kind of soda or alcohol). Stick to the complex ones and maintain you're lineless with aerobic sessions.