V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50)

What promotes Bone growth?

I'd like to know what helps promote bone growth the best.I ask because I'm getting a hip replacement in Oct.I'm getting a cementless hip joint.It requires the bone growing onto the metal.

Thanks for any helpful info.
    I move metal every step I take. RTHR 12/2009
    LTHR 01/2014

JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Gravity
    Muscle contractions over the attached bone (resistance training)
    Shock, vibration and repetitive impact
    Adequate minerals (calcium/zinc/magnesium/etc)
    Adequate micronutrients

not hyooge but healthy dustinlima's Avatar
    dustinlima is just really nice. (+1000) dustinlima is just really nice. (+1000) dustinlima is just really nice. (+1000) dustinlima is just really nice. (+1000) dustinlima is just really nice. (+1000) dustinlima is just really nice. (+1000) dustinlima is just really nice. (+1000) dustinlima is just really nice. (+1000) dustinlima is just really nice. (+1000) dustinlima is just really nice. (+1000) dustinlima is just really nice. (+1000)
    calcium, phosphate, carbonate, some of my favorite electrolytes

type l collagen

glycosaminoglycans, like glucosamine (precursor), chondroitin... i'd go to a restaurant and ask for crab shells and grind those up lol... when I lived in alaska i should have done that

prescription anabolic bone meds

gl with your surgery

V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dustinlima I guess eating sardines and salmon with bones would be good than?And anything to in prove blood flow to the area.

Thank You
    LTHR 01/2014

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by V4kerker View Post
    Dustinlima I guess eating sardines and salmon with bones would be good than?And anything to in prove blood flow to the area.

Thank You
    Yes - >>> sardines and salmon bones = good. Not only for the calcium, but also for the omega.

Most of the other advice above is solid:
    - Calcium/ Mg/ Vit D < these are the primary important minerals
    - Zn and Boron are also good
    - Vitamin K is important in maintaining bones (GO SPINACH)
    - Fish oils will be useful AFTER the surgery (don't start for ~ 2 weeks as they interfere with normal blood clotting - which is not so good in surgery ).
    - Don't OD on Vit C (which can be PRO-oxidant at high doses) and Vit A (mega doses are shown to negatively correlate with bone mass)
    - Maintain a moderate protein intake with a higher potassium intake (prevents acidosis which can decrease bone formation)
    - glucosamine and condrotin are more for joints, not so much bones... but they don't hurt. Just make sure you are not allergic to shell fish MSM is also useful to decrease inflammation associated with joints.
    - Krill oil OR green lip mussel oil is also good for joints (once again, not so much for the actual BONES)
    - Silica / Horsetail supplements show SOME benefit (not a lot... but some)
    - DHEA has shown benefit in females (post menopausal)
    - Decrease things like Caffeine, Sodium, Alcohol and Smoke inhalation (if you smoke) as they all decrease healing and bone mass
    - To maximise healing you also want to decrease cortisol levels <<< so good sleep, adequate recovery time etc etc is all important (things like Gingeng, Hops, passionflower can help with that)
    - Then make sure you incorporate adequate rehab exercises ->> to strengthen the area (which will require a good physiotherapy program ).

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Testosterone and cortisol levels (higher/lower respectively)
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    - Don't OD on Vit C (which can be PRO-oxidant at high doses)
    Really, can you tell me more about this? Because I've heard of people megadosing Vitamin C (tens of grams, they even said up to 350g, which sounds ridiculous?!) when they're about to get to sick almost to the point of diarrhea, since it's supposed to help prevent the oncoming disease. Plus, China's supposed to be starting a new treatment for cancer with giving people around 100g (or 1g/kg bw, I'm not sure) Vitamin C.

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by EmperorRyker View Post
    Really, can you tell me more about this? Because I've heard of people megadosing Vitamin C (tens of grams, they even said up to 350g, which sounds ridiculous?!) when they're about to get to sick almost to the point of diarrhea, since it's supposed to help prevent the oncoming disease. Plus, China's supposed to be starting a new treatment for cancer with giving people around 100g (or 1g/kg bw, I'm not sure) Vitamin C.
    Mega-dosing of anything is not a positive thing... And although many people thing that 'it is a water soluble vitamin and can't do harm'.... it can. And that is more than just diarrhoea. It can alter iron/ copper levels (it increases iron absorption and this can displace copper - resulting in deficiency), cause kidney stones, and is also thought to cause other issues as well (eg: birth defects < although evidence is sketchy)...

With regards to it's use in cancer: firstly, I will comment that in MOST cases where individuals are being treated for cancer, you certainly do not want to add Vit C or other antioxidants. Why? Because (most) chemotherapy drugs basically kill cells. They kill both NORMAL cells and ABNORMAL cells - but they work on the principle that because the tumour grows faster than normal tissue - if you give a small enough dose - most of the damage is done to the tumour and NOT normal tissue.

BUT - one of the ways they do this is to cause oxidative damage. Thus ->> If you add ANTIoxidants such as moderate doses of vit C -> well, you actually start to medicate AGAINST the chemo and reduce the effectiveness. And from my memory there has been studies noting a decrease in effectiveness of something around 30%.
    CLICK ME

Anyway - That is MODERATE doses.... BUT - mega-doses of Vit C are also being investigated for use in advanced cancer. Why? because.... well.... it helps to kills cells. And one of the ways it is thought to do this is via a pro-oxidant activity and damage to DNA.

Once again - it is a case of just because 'a little is good' doesn't mean 'more is better...'

A little more info:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19414313
    http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/ABSTR..._Effects.shtml
    http://www.nutritionj.com/content/2/1/7
    http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/ABSTR...poptosis.shtml
    http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/full/13/9/1007
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...mins/vitaminC/

Thanks for the info EMMA-LEIGH and determined4000.

The doc's putting me on iron pills 30 days pre-post op.I have to give 2 units of blood pre-op.It's a standard thing now days.I can,t take anything before op that will decrease clotting but right after surgery I'll be on blood thinners for 2 or more weeks.I take a multi-vit right now and fish oil.

How does one raise testosterone natuarlly?
    LTHR 01/2014

gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by JC480 View Post
    Gravity
    Muscle contractions over the attached bone (resistance training)
    Shock, vibration and repetitive impact
    Adequate minerals (calcium/zinc/magnesium/etc)
    Adequate micronutrients

good answer JC480

Looks like you are the only person in this thread that actually read the question