harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bicep Curls - Only gaining inside?

Hey Guys,

I've been doing some bicep curls with free weights. I'm 16 and currently curling around 12kg.

I've noticed that when I tense my bicep, I only really see the muscle on the "inside" and nothing on the outside. Why is this? Am I exercising it wrong?

Thanks

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Although this thread may go into "don't worry about the inner/outer biceps head, just curl, blah blah blah" my tip for you is this:

Try 2 different curl types in your workout...
    1 with straight supinated grip / no elbow flare - i.e., straight bar barbell curls, DB preacher curls, seated incline curls, or even straightbar chinups
    1 with flared elbow supinated grip - i.e., EZ-Bar curls, SuperCurl (an EZ-Bar variant) curls.

If I could start my lifting life over from scratch, I wish I took this strategy from the get go.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by harrymate View Post
    Hey Guys,

I've been doing some bicep curls with free weights. I'm 16 and currently curling around 12kg.

I've noticed that when I tense my bicep, I only really see the muscle on the "inside" and nothing on the outside. Why is this? Am I exercising it wrong?
    You're 16 and relatively untrained, and by your avi, light in body weight.

Give it time.

Don't forget to eat.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Keep adding mass.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I doubt you've seen much change working with 12kg DB's.

Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    You're 16 and relatively untrained, and by your avi, light in body weight.

Give it time.

Don't forget to eat.
    This. You haven't made enough progress to figure out if you've done anything wrong yet. You are off to a good start, so keep at it.

KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000)
    Close grip targets the outside bicep.

harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrymate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by k9pit View Post
    Although this thread may go into "don't worry about the inner/outer biceps head, just curl, blah blah blah" my tip for you is this:

Try 2 different curl types in your workout...
    1 with straight supinated grip / no elbow flare - i.e., straight bar barbell curls, DB preacher curls, seated incline curls, or even straightbar chinups
    1 with flared elbow supinated grip - i.e., EZ-Bar curls, SuperCurl (an EZ-Bar variant) curls.

If I could start my lifting life over from scratch, I wish I took this strategy from the get go.
    Ah okay, cheers. I've asked for a straight barbell for xmas!

Originally Posted by lee__d View Post
    Keep adding mass.
    I just eat more carbs?

Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    I doubt you've seen much change working with 12kg DB's.
    It's the maximum I can lift for 12 reps without having bad form. Hopefully I'll eventually increase the weight. (I do my bicep curls standing up)

Originally Posted by KingOfLimbs View Post
    Sorry to be newbish, but what do you mean by close grip?

Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just eat more carbs?

Sorry to be newbish, but what do you mean by close grip?
    When people on these boards say "eat," they literally mean just that: eat. Eat everything in sight. Don't worry about "getting fat" (you won't, as long as you're active and you keep lifting). You won't see *any* muscle gain if you don't eat more. Protein is very important--but don't worry about counting macros or anything yet. Just eat, eat, eat--peanut butter, almonds, put olive oil on everything. Oh, also eat.

Close grip means just use a closer grip--your hands should be closer together than usual when curling. But that doesn't apply since you only have dumbbells. Wait until you get the straight bar. If I were you, I would also ask for an EZ-Curl bar. Or, better yet, ask for a GYM MEMBERSHIP. You will make gains tremendously faster in a gym than at home. You won't improve your physique by just doing arms, after all.

Originally Posted by Farugen View Post
    When people on these boards say "eat," they literally mean just that: eat. Eat everything in sight. Don't worry about "getting fat" (you won't, as long as you're active and you keep lifting). You won't see *any* muscle gain if you don't eat more. Protein is very important--but don't worry about counting macros or anything yet. Just eat, eat, eat--peanut butter, almonds, put olive oil on everything. Oh, also eat.

Close grip means just use a closer grip--your hands should be closer together than usual when curling. But that doesn't apply since you only have dumbbells. Wait until you get the straight bar. If I were you, I would also ask for an EZ-Curl bar. Or, better yet, ask for a GYM MEMBERSHIP. You will make gains tremendously faster in a gym than at home. You won't improve your physique by just doing arms, after all.
    Aha, thanks for the reply

This is probably stupid as hell, but even though I'm trying to bulk up - I still should avoid sweets? Right?
    Thanks for the grip explanation!

Yeah, I would love a gym membership, for problem for me is actually getting to the gym!

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

This is probably stupid as hell, but even though I'm trying to bulk up - I still should avoid sweets? Right?
    I strongly suggest you read the nutrition stickies. And the exercise stickies. Pick a simple novice routine and run it.

fyi, hammer curls hit the brachialis portion of the bicep quite hard. That's the outer portion.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thanks for the grip explanation!

Yeah, I would love a gym membership, for problem for me is actually getting to the gym!
    What the other guy said--just read some nutritional stickies. But in all hoenstly, from your pictures you can afford to eat whatever you want. But there is the IIFYM mindset (if it fits your macros) to consider. If your daily nutritional goal can be achieved by eating two Big Macs, there's no difference really between getting your nutrients that way and getting it from other sources. If you want to avoid those anyway, that's fine. But your diet is probably the most important aspect of your training. You want to be lean and shredded? Want six pack abs? That's all made in the kitchen. You obviously need to work out to get the muscle, but you won't get the real physique you want without a good diet.

Pitch the idea to your parents--they should want to help you enjoy a healthier lifestyle.

AglassOfWater has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AglassOfWater has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AglassOfWater has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AglassOfWater has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AglassOfWater has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AglassOfWater has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AglassOfWater has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by KingOfLimbs View Post
    The brachialis

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I Agree with this!
    Also
    Cable rope hammer curls.
    Close grip chins
    Gironda drag curls(someone posted about these and had a video clip in another thread).
    Reverse curls with ez curl bar.

oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Biggest advice:
    Eat

And secondly focus more on back and your bieseps will come naturally.

Your young and new, just lift and eat lots, you'll fill out.
    I saw a woman wearing a sweatshirt with Guess on it. I said, Thyroid problem?
    Arnold Schwarzenegger
    *angry masterbation crew*
    *trains legs crew*
    *deformed penor crew*

Originally Posted by NZninja101 View Post
    I strongly suggest you read the nutrition stickies. And the exercise stickies. Pick a simple novice routine and run it.

fyi, hammer curls hit the brachialis portion of the bicep quite hard. That's the outer portion.
    I'll go check them out now, thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by Farugen View Post
    What the other guy said--just read some nutritional stickies. But in all hoenstly, from your pictures you can afford to eat whatever you want. But there is the IIFYM mindset (if it fits your macros) to consider. If your daily nutritional goal can be achieved by eating two Big Macs, there's no difference really between getting your nutrients that way and getting it from other sources. If you want to avoid those anyway, that's fine. But your diet is probably the most important aspect of your training. You want to be lean and shredded? Want six pack abs? That's all made in the kitchen. You obviously need to work out to get the muscle, but you won't get the real physique you want without a good diet.

Pitch the idea to your parents--they should want to help you enjoy a healthier lifestyle.
    Yeah, my parents support me 100%. The gym is 30 minutes away and it is hard getting there with school etc.!

Originally Posted by oryx2500 View Post
    Biggest advice:
    Eat

And secondly focus more on back and your bieseps will come naturally.

Your young and new, just lift and eat lots, you'll fill out.
    I will do! Can you recommend any back exercises I can do at home?

Pull-ups (chin-ups hit biceps more) and bent-over dumbbell rows.

oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oryx2500 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I will do! Can you recommend any back exercises I can do at home?
    Bent over bb rows, db rows, pull-ups, chin-ups, shrugs.
    I saw a woman wearing a sweatshirt with Guess on it. I said, Thyroid problem?
    Arnold Schwarzenegger
    *angry masterbation crew*
    *trains legs crew*
    *deformed penor crew*

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey Guys,

Thanks
    Perhaps you have an unrealistic expectation (taken from pictures of pro bodybuilders) of what you want your biceps to look like? I have no idea how you're judging something like the growth rate on the inner side of the biceps is higher than on the outer side of the muscle, things like these should be the least important details of one's training.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?