Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by HomeGymChains View Post
    Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Deadlift
    125 x 5,5
    145 x 5,5,5
    (Raising reps weight. Will see how back injury site holds up.)

Curl
    65.5 x 8,7,7,7,6
    (Raising reps weight. Will see how elbow tendonitis holds up.)

Bench
    100 x 5,10
    150 x 5
    170 x 2
    190 x 7 PR
    (Just to celebrate the new year. And push toward this year’s BP goal of 235.)

Dumbbell bench
    32.5 x 25
    Great job! Good luck with your back, I think taking it slow the way you're doing is the perfect approach.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for the encouragement, Elrond! (Reps on spread.)

I felt a bit of back soreness while falling asleep after that workout, but felt fine this morning, so the new weight is probably about right. I’ll try to pay more attention to technique.
    Last edited by HomeGymChains; 01-03-2019 at 02:27 PM.
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Repped ya OP . Nice to see someone my age with this much enthusiasm.
    Man I’ve been getting lazy and have to hit mine hard again . Got a bug and have been feeling like chit for the last few weeks .
    Anyways I ended up building a home gym. My house has its issues,but I try and make the best of it . Kind of an obsession building and improving,as it sure started out small .
    I’m not squatting big weights, so half racks are fine for me , and full racks are a few inches to tall .
    Sounds like you bench with a suicide grip also ?
    Thought I’d throw in a few pics . Always a work in progress . The yellow will all be orange someday

Lat machine half built . Can pull from ceiling but not floor yet .Ceiling height will not accommodate most machines
    Make Misc great again

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
    Repped ya OP . Nice to see someone my age with this much enthusiasm.
    Man I’ve been getting lazy and have to hit mine hard again . Got a bug and have been feeling like chit for the last few weeks .
    Anyways I ended up building a home gym. My house has its issues,but I try and make the best of it . Kind of an obsession building and improving,as it sure started out small .
    I’m not squatting big weights, so half racks are fine for me , and full racks are a few inches to tall .
    Sounds like you bench with a suicide grip also ?
    Thought I’d throw in a few pics . Always a work in progress . The yellow will all be orange someday

Lat machine half built . Can pull from ceiling but not floor yet .Ceiling height will not accommodate most machines
    Thanks for the nice comments! Nice to hear from others at the high end of “over 35.” Do you have a place where you post? (I’d be interested in reading your posts.)

No, I don’t bench with a suicide grip, just a normal overhand grip. I don’t think I lost my grip on the bar that day - maybe I let my wrists tilt backwards or maybe I just let the bar path get too far out of the groove. I know I still had two hands on the bar as I tried to slow it down before it hit my neck.

VERY nice home gym! I particularly like the homemade lat machine scheme. Thanks for the pics (and inspiration to improve mine). If you haven’t already, you should post them on the “Pics and discussion” home gym thread.

Thanks again.

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thank you for the kind words . I’m not very good at sketch up , but basically what you are seeing with the led light in the ceiling is this upper pulley to the right in the first pic .
    Those three racks are heavy gauge angle iron that I welded up and bolted inside the ceiling joists .
    Not something that I’ve ever seen done before , but I had to be resourceful,as I don’t have enough height for a conventional lat pull machine .
    I need to weld up that main beam you see coloured in yellow next and add the other pulleys .

You need to use your imagination a bit . But the cable runs threw the ceiling/floor joists .

I used to be heavy duty into car audio . That’s where my obsession with plexi and LEDs come from .
    Here’s a few older before the last upgrades which shows you the mirror with peremiter leds for effect

Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 01-04-2019 at 02:41 AM.
    Make Misc great again

Thank you for the kind words . I’m not very good at sketch up , but basically what you are seeing with the led light in the ceiling is this upper pulley to the right in the first pic .
    Those three racks are heavy gauge angle iron that I welded up and bolted inside the ceiling joists .
    Not something that I’ve ever seen done before , but I had to be resourceful,as I don’t have enough height for a conventional lat pull machine .
    I need to weld up that main beam you see coloured in yellow next and add the other pulleys .

You need to use your imagination a bit . But the cable runs threw the ceiling/floor joists .

I used to be heavy duty into car audio . That’s where my obsession with plexi and LEDs come from .
    Here’s a few older before the last upgrades which shows you the mirror with peremiter leds for effect

Very nice!

Sunday, January 6, 2019

Return from trip, so very short experiment with sumo-style deadlift. Greg Nuckols article I read during trip suggests it would be somewhat easier on low back.

145 x 4,4 half regular and half sumo deadlift

Felt it very slightly in low back with no noticeable difference between styles. More experimenting to come. Perhaps will video myself to check form.

Will definitely look for right boards or plates to raise bar, since my 50-pound standard plates put the bar an inch lower than Olympic plates would.

Or better yet, maybe I should just start doing my physical therapy low back exercises again. What a concept!!!

In positive news, during these past two workouts, I could feel that I am actually activating hamstrings these days.
    Last edited by HomeGymChains; 01-07-2019 at 04:12 PM.

pastorpritch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pastorpritch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pastorpritch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pastorpritch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pastorpritch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pastorpritch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pastorpritch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pastorpritch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pastorpritch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pastorpritch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pastorpritch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This gym is my dream ! I'm slowly starting to do something like this myself. Not sure if it will look that good Buying the floor mats a little at a time. Bit by bit the dream will come true

Keep up the great work HGC!
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175642411
    IG: parsonagegym

Originally Posted by pastorpritch View Post
    This gym is my dream ! I'm slowly starting to do something like this myself. Not sure if it will look that good Buying the floor mats a little at a time. Bit by bit the dream will come true

Keep up the great work HGC!
    It started out small , but my autism kicked in and I kept on adding and upgrading over the years .
    Here’s a few pics of the other side . There’s a low impact zero runner for cardio , and a massage water bed like you see at the chiropractor office to the right of it

I had to build around the furnace and hot water tank . I utilized some of the wasted space by flush mounting a mini fridge and some shelving .
    This will be all torn apart and modified at a later date, as I am going to install a network stereo on the left side , and build some taller storage areas
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 01-19-2019 at 08:01 AM.
    Make Misc great again

Monday January 21, 2019

I am now on a very difficult travel schedule of 6 hours per day, five days per week, due to a family member in an out-of-town hospital. (Making three out of my three closest family members all with serious and urgent medical issues.)

I have decided that for a while, I will just lift for fun and stress relief, since I can’t afford even a very minor injury or strain. I won’t be working toward my weight goals for the year, or even doing a semblance of balanced workouts.

Bench
    120 x 8
    170 x 3,8,10

Curl
    65.5 x 8,8,8,8

Bench fly
    10ea x 50
    Superset with
    Dumbbell bench
    32.5 x 40

ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Monday January 21, 2019

I am now on a very difficult travel schedule of 6 hours per day, five days per week, due to a family member in an out-of-town hospital. (Making three out of my three closest family members all with serious and urgent medical issues.)

I have decided that for a while, I will just lift for fun and stress relief, since I can’t afford even a very minor injury or strain. I won’t be working toward my weight goals for the year, or even doing a semblance of balanced workouts.

Bench
    120 x 8
    170 x 3,8,10

Curl
    65.5 x 8,8,8,8

Bench fly
    10ea x 50
    Superset with
    Dumbbell bench
    32.5 x 40
    That's rough to hear, HGC. We know how disruptive that kind of thing can be. Doing any training at all will be a big help to you emotionally, I'm sure.

Do what you have to do, and we'll be here when you get back!
    -Voltaire

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    That's rough to hear, HGC. We know how disruptive that kind of thing can be. Doing any training at all will be a big help to you emotionally, I'm sure.

Do what you have to do, and we'll be here when you get back!
    Thanks as always for the stalwart moral support!

(Home for one night amidst 7 hr travel each day.)

Wednesday January 23, 2019

Lats pre-exhaustion straight arm cable pull downs
    25x15, 35x10, 30x15

Lat pulldowns 100lbs
    Medium grip x 10
    Wide grip x 15
    Chin x 10
    Medium grip x 10

Overhead cable curls (“hero curls”)
    15 lb each arm x15 to side, x15 to front
    12.5 lb each arm x 15 to front

Cable internal rotations (“arm wrestling”)
    10 x 15 ea, 12.5 x 10 ea

And especially as far as those last two exercises...
    I already warned you I’m just lifting for fun these days!

(Still traveling. Home for one workout.)

Monday January 28, 2019

Lats pre-exhaustion straight arm cable pull downs
    30 x 15,15,15

Lat pulldowns 105 lbs
    Medium grip x 10
    Wide grip x 10
    Chin x 10
    Medium grip x 10

Very high volume bench and curls
    (breaks between sets)

Monday February 4, 2019

Warm ups
    Dumbbell bench 32.5 x 15
    Dumbbell curl 25 x 5

Bench 140 x 8,10,11,11,10,12,10,10,10,12

Curl 52.5 x 10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,12

Wow, that's definitely some big volume! Do you get DOMS from that?
    -Voltaire

Wow, that's definitely some big volume! Do you get DOMS from that?
    Thanks for the encouraging comment! (Reps on spread.) Quite enjoyable DOMS, actually, for a change. For most of my regular workouts lately, I didn’t really feel them after the fact.

For years I’ve had the idea that I would like to go away for a weekend to a hotel with a good gym and spend the day alternating between a few sets in the gym and going back to the room to write. On Monday I had a long evening to myself, so I did one set of bench, one set of curls, and then back upstairs to do some other tasks over a span of about three hours. I think I had the idea that this would be more like lifters who train for size. I doubt that it would really count as legitimate bodybuilding style, but it was an interesting change from my usual.

After the first couple, each set was a significant effort. (About two reps with good form left in the tank.) I was able to do usual household tasks, but I found that this level of effort made me too tired for brain work, so the idea of writing in between wouldn’t really work. <sigh>

I did enjoy it enough to try for DOMS in my lats on Wednesday. Turned out to be a nice level. It seems like I feel it in about 80% of the lats as opposed to 100% of the pecs and 90% of the biceps from Monday.
    Last edited by HomeGymChains; 02-07-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Very high volume lats

Wednesday February 6, 2019

Medium to wide grip lat pulldowns 100 lbs x 20 sets of 10 reps each.

The first thirteen sets were over a span of about two hours, and then the last seven sets had only a short rest in between. I ran out of time because I had to spend about a half hour on maintenance due to the pulley starting to bind. I disassembled the pulley, cleaned and lubricated the roller bearings with heavy duty silicone spray, and re-installed with the spacer disks on the sides positioned to keep the bearing on the optimal part of the shaft.

High volume bench press

Monday February 11, 2019

I enjoyed last week’s bench press workout so much that I added ten pounds and did it again. I thought I might need to drop the number of reps per set, but not. The increased weight actually kept me more conscious of more deliberate pace and good form, so lifts went up smoother than I expected.

Dumbbell bench warmup 32.5 x 15

Bench press with bar 150 pounds
    10 sets of 10 reps each

(We’ll see if I can survive the DOMS tomorrow.)
    Last edited by HomeGymChains; 02-11-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nice to see you're enjoying benching and with nice volume to boot.

No warm ups?

Your body will pay you back for that

Originally Posted by Lou1se View Post
    Nice to see you're enjoying benching and with nice volume to boot.

No warm ups?

Your body will pay you back for that
    Ha! I forgot to record the warmup set. (Fixed.) I did use better form, so I hope I won’t suffer beyond the DOMS.

Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ha! I forgot to record the warmup set. (Fixed.) I did use better form, so I hope I won’t suffer beyond the DOMS.
    Much better. Good to see you're using good form

High rep strict bicep curls

Tuesday February 12, 2019

I had planned to do lats today but with shoveling and other tasks, didn’t have enough time.

Used Bicep Blaster to keep elbows from moving, leaned against wall to prevent body motion. Stretched pecs in between bicep sets (see yesterday).

Dumbbell curls 25 lb each x
    (15 sets, 100 reps total)

EZ bar curl 52.5 x 6

High volume bench press

Sunday February 17, 2019

To almost repeat myself, I enjoyed the last two weeks’ bench press workouts so much that I added another ten pounds and did it again. I again thought I might need to drop the number of reps per set, but not. Some benefits of so many reps and sets is that I seem to be improving my control and getting more consistent with my bar path. The heavier weight is still going up smoothly. Largest difference so far is that at the end of the set, I’m clearly dropping it into the rack more loudly.

Dumbbell bench warmup 32.5 x 15

Bench press with bar 160 pounds
    9 sets of 10 reps each, tenth set 12 reps

This is good news! Yeah, higher volume will definitely help improve your form and adapt to the weight -- to a point. You'll know when you reach that point!

Some people can never understand why we enjoy these activities, and even the way we feel during the aftermath, and maybe I don't really understand it myself, but there's no doubt it's a mood enhancer!
    -Voltaire

OP it certainly sounds like your dedicated . We’re all different , and I find high reps seems to cause tears in my tendons and rotators.
    I warm up with light sets of 8 reps , then go down to a five rep max .
    Did 195x5 benching on feb 6 , and was happy with 215x5 on the 16th . Hoping to get back to 5 repping 225x5 in the next few months.
    I take an unusual about of time off between heavy benching , but I don’t gain and plague quickly if I bench to often .
    Like I say ,what works for one may not work as well for another
    Make Misc great again

This is good news! Yeah, higher volume will definitely help improve your form and adapt to the weight -- to a point. You'll know when you reach that point!

Some people can never understand why we enjoy these activities, and even the way we feel during the aftermath, and maybe I don't really understand it myself, but there's no doubt it's a mood enhancer!
    For some strange reason I find I get depressed when my body starts getting soft .
    One guy at work bashes me for lifting weights ,and says it pointless at my age ,but I disagree .
    Btw , this particular coworker is also stoned 24 hours of the day on THC , so we can’t give him too much credibility.
    Make Misc great again

Thumbs up

Love those endorphins!

I’ve had most of my strains and pains after going heavy. Probably because of bad form. Your method sounds good.

Truth be told, I’m only doing very high rep sets these weeks because my wife was out of town. No way I could indulge lifting over a span of two hours, even if doing other tasks in between. I’ll soon be back to doing two sets. <sigh>

High rep strict bicep curls

Monday February 18, 2019

Used Bicep Blaster to keep elbows from moving, leaned against wall to prevent body motion. Like last week but increased weight by 2.5 pounds.

Dumbbell curls 27.5 lb each x
    (14 sets, 100 reps total)

EZ bar curl 52.5 x 10