DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

How does rotating lifts reduce injury risk and how often should we do it?

I never really understood this. Why does swapping out lifts reduce injury risk if you generally swap to other lifts that work the exact same movement pattern, muscles, joints etc? This makes no sense to me. Does this mean that sticking to the same group of exercises forever will greatly increase your risk of injury? How often should we be swapping out lifts? I feel like there are only so many lifts in existence so it becomes an exercise in frustration to keep finding new things to do especially with equipment limitations.

Thanks

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The idea is to prevent overuse injuries over time.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Overuse injuries are a thing, though not that likely with lifting.

Otherwise, I'm not sure variation has much real impact on injury risk either way
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How?
    You don't over use the exact same movement pattern ad neausem.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is an interesting question because I too, have wondered about this. I don't have much knowledge on this but my assumption has always been that "overuse injuries" is a cover up for flat out using bad form or bad form from too much weight or too much volume. Doesn't make much sense to just arbitrarily change exercises if there's no issues.
    Last edited by Animal2692; 03-05-2021 at 11:42 AM.
    "The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud
    "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -Leonardo da Vinci

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    How?
    The simplest and only answer you need.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you have an overuse injury from lifting there are prob other factors involved beyond whether or not you rotate lifts, including poor programming, poor form, age, mileage on joints, etc.

There are people who've done bb BP for decades and lived to tell about it.

DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DogletDusk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    The idea is to prevent overuse injuries over time.
    Mistake in the title. How does swapping variations of lifts minimize overuse injuries?

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Overuse injuries are a thing, though not that likely with lifting.

Otherwise, I'm not sure variation has much real impact on injury risk either way
    So you’re saying this is a myth?

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    How?
    I watched a vid from blaha who is on conjugate, which is quite similar to my setup. He gave the example that maxing out on the same lifts all the time will increase your chances of overuse and that you need to max out on different lifts each week to help with prevention. Even said lighter assistance lifts need to be rotated too to prevent overuse.

I don’t understand it though since the variations he uses are only slight differences. Eg. Slightly altering grip width on a bench counts as a variation. Or swapping in some dumbbells, using different bars etc. it’s still the same movement pattern though working the same muscles, joints? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Animal2692 View Post
    This is an interesting question because I too, have wondered about this. I don't have much knowledge on this but my assumption has always been that "overuse injuries" is a cover up for flat out using bad form or bad form from too much weight or too much volume. Doesn't make much sense to just arbitrarily change exercises if there's no issues.
    People don’t arbitrarily do this.

You change an exercise when it starts feeling stale or if you start to feel something creep up.

It’s the same ideas as a deload.

Sometimes it’s better to do it before you need it and it’s too late.

If you hammer dB lateral raises for 3 months and you’re now getting to the point where adding weight/reps/sets is counter productive swapping in a cable variation, an extreme rom version, or a cable upright row would be the prudent choice to avoid either just stalling out and having ****ty stimulus to your delts and avoiding an injury.

Overuse injuries happen in everything in life if you do a movement pattern enough times in a row something is gonna break.

Ever wiggled a piece of plastic or a rubber band until it snaps? Same concept.

Originally Posted by Filmbuff81 View Post

You change an exercise when it starts feeling stale or if you start to feel something creep up.

If you hammer dB lateral raises for 3 months and you’re now getting to the point where adding weight/reps/sets is counter productive swapping in a cable variation, an extreme rom version, or a cable upright row would be the prudent choice to avoid either just stalling out and having ****ty stimulus to your delts and avoiding an injury.

Overuse injuries happen in everything in life if you do a movement pattern enough times in a row something is gonna break.
    But aren’t you swapping to a variation of the same movement pattern, which works the same muscles, joints etc? I guess that’s where I’m getting lost

Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000)

Ever wiggled a piece of plastic or a rubber band until it snaps? Same concept.
    I see, makes sense.

Now that I think about it, I better go tell my wife we need to switch it up to prevent overuse injury (not trying to be rude).
    "The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud
    "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -Leonardo da Vinci

Originally Posted by DogletDusk View Post
    But aren’t you swapping to a variation of the same movement pattern, which works the same muscles, joints etc? I guess that’s where I’m getting lost
    Let’s use OHP as an example.

With a barbell you’re pretty fixed in the movement.

Swap to a seated DB Press.

The joint angles and load will be different and you’ll move more freely.

Sure they are the “same” movement but the stress is entirely different.

Altering rep ranges contributes too.

So try not to look at it strictly as a movement variation.

It’s a variation of Multiple stressors.

Edit:

Current personal example

I’m curling 3 times a week, my forearms are hurting my work and some overuse stuff I can’t work around.

Ez bar curls were killing my forearms and elbow with pain last 2 weeks of my meso, but preacher and hammer curls were zero pain.

So slightl alterations can make a large difference.
    Last edited by Filmbuff81; 03-05-2021 at 12:27 PM.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Mistake in the title. How does swapping variations of lifts minimize overuse injuries?

So you’re saying this is a myth?

I watched a vid from blaha who is on conjugate, which is quite similar to my setup. He gave the example that maxing out on the same lifts all the time will increase your chances of overuse and that you need to max out on different lifts each week to help with prevention. Even said lighter assistance lifts need to be rotated too to prevent overuse.

I don’t understand it though since the variations he uses are only slight differences. Eg. Slightly altering grip width on a bench counts as a variation. Or swapping in some dumbbells, using different bars etc. it’s still the same movement pattern though working the same muscles, joints? Doesn’t make sense to me.
    Blahas conjugate is like getting a blind toddler to build you a working car.

I'm not saying it's a complete myth, I'm just suggesting that injury prevention is not a primary reason for utilising exercise variation
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Let’s use OHP as an example.

With a barbell you’re pretty fixed in the movement.

Swap to a seated DB Press.

The joint angles and load will be different and you’ll move more freely.

Sure they are the “same” movement but the stress is entirely different.

Altering rep ranges contributes too.

So try not to look at it strictly as a movement variation.

It’s a variation of Multiple stressors.

Edit:

Current personal example

I’m curling 3 times a week, my forearms are hurting my work and some overuse stuff I can’t work around.

Ez bar curls were killing my forearms and elbow with pain last 2 weeks of my meso, but preacher and hammer curls were zero pain.

So slightl alterations can make a large difference.
    That makes sense. Cheers!

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Blahas conjugate is like getting a blind toddler to build you a working car.

I'm not saying it's a complete myth, I'm just suggesting that injury prevention is not a primary reason for utilising exercise variation
    Fair enough. Could you elaborate a bit on the first point?

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As above, changing exercises changes the stress and movement patterns of the body.

There's a lot more involved than just muscles and tendons. There are also ligaments in the joints, bursae (sacs of fluid in the joints), bones, and stabilizer muscles that move differently around bones when you change variations.

Look at a detailed anatomy chart of the shoulders, for example, and watch a few vids on rotator cuff injury. You'll see how even 1 millimeter can make a difference in injury prevention, and see how small inflammation from bad form too many reps can increase to a muscle tear.

The body is much more complex than Instagram posts show.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    As above, changing exercises changes the stress and movement patterns of the body.

There's a lot more involved than just muscles and tendons. There are also ligaments in the joints, bursae (sacs of fluid in the joints), bones, and stabilizer muscles that move differently around bones when you change variations.

Look at a detailed anatomy chart of the shoulders, for example, and watch a few vids on rotator cuff injury. You'll see how even 1 millimeter can make a difference in injury prevention, and see how small inflammation from bad form too many reps can increase to a muscle tear.

The body is much more complex than Instagram posts show.
    Fair enough. How often would you recommend swapping out movements? Would this also include swapping out main lifts? I do these for a single top set and would be worried about losing progress if I kept swapping them out but wouldn’t want to risk injury by keeping them in either

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Fair enough. How often would you recommend swapping out movements? Would this also include swapping out main lifts? I do these for a single top set and would be worried about losing progress if I kept swapping them out but wouldn’t want to risk injury by keeping them in either
    Swap out every 4 weeks is good, of course it depends on your overall program. If you're on LP, grinding out a new 5RM on all lifts every week, then the stress is higher than if you're on DUP, managing fatigue throughout the week with heavy-light-medium or something.

Keep your main lift once a week, just swap the variations. Choose a range of close and distant variations.

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Swap out every 4 weeks is good, of course it depends on your overall program. If you're on LP, grinding out a new 5RM on all lifts every week, then the stress is higher than if you're on DUP, managing fatigue throughout the week with heavy-light-medium or something.

Keep your main lift once a week, just swap the variations. Choose a range of close and distant variations.
    Thanks bro. Just so I understand what you’re saying, I do an U/L where I have a squat/bench/dead/ohp day. I ramp up to a top set for these 4 lifts and the rest of the session is volume work (5-15 reps) via back off sets and other variations of these movement patterns. So it’s fine to keep squat/bench/dead/ohp in forever, working to a top set, and only change the supplemental exercises for volume work?

Thanks bro. Just so I understand what you’re saying, I do an U/L where I have a squat/bench/dead/ohp day. I ramp up to a top set for these 4 lifts and the rest of the session is volume work (5-15 reps) via back off sets and other variations of these movement patterns. So it’s fine to keep squat/bench/dead/ohp in forever, working to a top set, and only change the supplemental exercises for volume work?
    Yes, fine to keep them in forever, and do backoff work as the main lift on the day of that top set, then do the variation on another day. If you start stalling on a lift then just deload it. Occasionally run a pivot block where you change up all lifts for a few weeks.

Something like this:

Main squat work up to top set
    Main squat backoff work
    DL variation

Main bench
    Main bench backoff work
    OHP variation
    Horizontal pull
    Vertical pull

Main DL
    Main DL backoff work
    Squat variation

Main OHP
    Main OHP backoff work
    Bench variation
    Hor. pull
    Vert. pull

Could even add bench on day 1 or day 3, or both depending on what you need

Yes, fine to keep them in forever, and do backoff work as the main lift on the day of that top set, then do the variation on another day. If you start stalling on a lift then just deload it. Occasionally run a pivot block where you change up all lifts for a few weeks.

Something like this:

Main squat work up to top set
    Main squat backoff work
    DL variation

Main bench
    Main bench backoff work
    OHP variation
    Horizontal pull
    Vertical pull

Main DL
    Main DL backoff work
    Squat variation

Main OHP
    Main OHP backoff work
    Bench variation
    Hor. pull
    Vert. pull

Could even add bench on day 1 or day 3, or both depending on what you need
    Thank you so much man. What you wrote is exactly what I do now. I have A/B days that involve main lift A, back off A and a variation of main lift B and the other day is main lift B, back off B and variation main lift A. Thanks again!

Thank you so much man. What you wrote is exactly what I do now. I have A/B days that involve main lift A, back off A and a variation of main lift B and the other day is main lift B, back off B and variation main lift A. Thanks again!
    One more thing: It's good to change the variations every block, for all the reasons talked about above, and to increase the stimulus from each variation. First block say you do Main DL and SLDL as variation. Next block you do Main DL and RDL. Next block Main DL and Candito DL. Fourth block you go back to Main DL and SLDL. Idea here is variety across blocks, and keeping each variation at least 2 blocks apart.

One more thing: It's good to change the variations every block, for all the reasons talked about above, and to increase the stimulus from each variation. First block say you do Main DL and SLDL as variation. Next block you do Main DL and RDL. Next block Main DL and Candito DL. Fourth block you go back to Main DL and SLDL. Idea here is variety across blocks, and keeping each variation at least 2 blocks apart.
    Yep, I’ll definitely start rotating lifts like that. I don’t mind doing that actually. I was only concerned because I thought you had to rotate out main lifts too and I feared I’d lose progress/neuro efficiency doing that. Thank you for your help and time, really.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    EC dropping solid gold in here!
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.