congos83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) congos83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) congos83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) congos83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) congos83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) congos83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) congos83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) congos83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Durability of Adjustable dumbells (SelectTech, Powerblock, etc)

How is the durability on these or anyone run into any problems? The reviews on amazon and such I see too much bias. Figured this is the place too look. I remember seeing a set (I think Bowflex??) in Dick's on display is a couple of the plates were cracked. Sure it is exposed to passing customers all day, but I want to see in normal use how they last.

Gracias

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by congos83 View Post
    How is the durability on these or anyone run into any problems? The reviews on amazon and such I see too much bias. Figured this is the place too look. I remember seeing a set (I think Bowflex??) in Dick's on display is a couple of the plates were cracked. Sure it is exposed to passing customers all day, but I want to see in normal use how they last.

Gracias
    most of us like powerblock or ironmaster. you won't see too many people recommend getting the bowflex dumbbells, especially at new prices.

i've got powerblocks, i haven't had any problems at all. i've only had them for about 9 months, though. i don't have any experience with the ironmaster set, but i've read great things about it.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've yet to go to a sporting goods store that has a display of the bowflex and not see them broken.
    I've heard through the grapevine that you can break a powerblock but never been able to verify myself. (own's powerblocks). they say you shouldn't drop them though.
    I've never heard of Ironmasters breaking and they have a lifetime warranty
    Shouldn't you be lifting something heavy instead of reading this?

[]---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 8
    Workout Equipment Crew: We do it on Power Racks
    Bashing the Bowflex since 2008 for DiamondDelts

Bulldozer feeds upon the weaker as they fall. Bulldozer crushes all! - Machine Head

Owes me a case of beer: dolson27

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by deseee View Post
    I've yet to go to a sporting goods store that has a display of the bowflex and not see them broken.
    I've heard through the grapevine that you can break a powerblock but never been able to verify myself. (own's powerblocks). they say you shouldn't drop them though.
    yea, if you drop a powerblock you can bend plates. then it's not good.

i dont' think i've ever dropped a db, even at the gyms i used to go to.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

2paz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2paz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2paz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2paz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2paz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2paz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2paz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2paz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2paz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2paz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2paz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the Bowflex style (bought it off CL from a personal trainer that got them made by the same company) and wish i either saved my money for a set of rubber db's or got the powerblocks instead.

The bowflex ones are very fragile. I already had to take it apart in order to put back one of the ball bearings that came loose.

PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Powerblocks. Just dont abuse them. I wuld not recomend buying anything made of plastic.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 15

Repping crew for life.

I rep back.:)

Ive got a new training partner.:)

Dirty Bulking.:)

mfcplflo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfcplflo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfcplflo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfcplflo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfcplflo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfcplflo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfcplflo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfcplflo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfcplflo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfcplflo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfcplflo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I own a set of Ironmasters i love them i can drop them (on mats of course) with out any worries and the don't rattle, i have a buddy who owns a set of power blocks, i love how fast you can change the weight, i wouldn't drop them though, if you can find a set of either ironmasters or powerblocks on CL for a good price i wouldn't hesitate to get them, but definitely stay away from the bowflex style dumbbells

PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You may have to drive to find a set on craigslist. If you do make sure to get a set that is expandable or already expanded.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 15

Repping crew for life.

I rep back.:)

Ive got a new training partner.:)

Dirty Bulking.:)

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've had the PowerBlock 5 - 85lb set for years and love them. I'm on the lookout for the 125lb bigblock add on set. Although, if I had it to do over I'd have gone with the Ironmasters just because you can't grip a PowerBlock with both hands around one end to do cross bench pullovers or overhead d/bell extensions. I'm assuming you can with the Ironmasters. I ended up getting a spin lock d/bell handle and 110bls of standard sized plates for those exercises. It is nice to be able to quickly change out the PowerBlocks but that really only has benefits when doing drop sets.

www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by deseee View Post
    2nd all this.

Aparrently you can void the warranty by dropping the Powerblocks (from a certain height). However, I can be rough on equipment at times and mine have held up just fine.

But yeah. Bowflex selecttech can break easily and not just the plates, the dials can get completely screwed up with just a little dirt and grime. I have been to a sports store and tried to pick them up to use them and the dials wouldnt even turn. After looking closely and all, I realized they had simply gotten some dirt in the dials.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    LOL

Nothing says DUMBBELL like the words plastic, ball bearing, and I've never seen one that wasn't broken.

Sign me up!

Who wants to buy my prostyles?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    LOL

Nothing says DUMBBELL like the words plastic, ball bearing, and I've never seen one that wasn't broken.

Sign me up!

Who wants to buy my prostyles?

i can't buy them, but i can trade you a sweet set of bowflex dbs with the stand for them. prostyles are junk, but i like them for some reason? i'll also throw in a bowflex bench since i'm such a nice guy.

RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I believe that ironmaster makes the most durable adjustable dumbells and I would never consider anything with the bowflex name, but why are so many people concerned with being able to drop they're dumbells. If it's just to prove that they can take a beating, then I understand, but if it's because people actually drop they're dumbells alot I'm not sure I understand this. I use 120's and I can honestly say I have never had to drop them. If you have to drop them they are too heavy for you.
    ll-ll NOBODY SAID BODYBUILDING WAS EASY ll-ll

Registered User Curbside_Quiche's Avatar
    Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by RHINO240 View Post
    If you have to drop them they are too heavy for you.
    I am with you buddy. I have the Ironmasters but I don't drop dumbbells in the gym so I am not going to do it at home.

Ironmaster make a custom kit that take each dumbbell out to 165lbs - http://www.ironmaster.com/store/165-...om-pr-117.html - it is not covered by warranty but just shows how durable they are.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RHINO240 View Post
    I believe that ironmaster makes the most durable adjustable dumbells and I would never consider anything with the bowflex name, but why are so many people concerned with being able to drop they're dumbells. If it's just to prove that they can take a beating, then I understand, but if it's because people actually drop they're dumbells alot I'm not sure I understand this. I use 120's and I can honestly say I have never had to drop them. If you have to drop them they are too heavy for you.

I'm with you, I think. Those monster db's are pretty heavy. I don't use them yet, so not a lot of experience. Seems like there could be a time when you were worn out and couldn't get em down, I'm mot sure.

I do know it should by no means be a normal occurence. We used to have a guy at work that would use some 100lbers upstairs in the gym. Man, he'd drop those things about 6 times a workout. Sounded like a freakin train coming through!

I just don't see the need in tearing up your ****.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    I'm with you, I think. Those monster db's are pretty heavy. I don't use them yet, so not a lot of experience. Seems like there could be a time when you were worn out and couldn't get em down, I'm mot sure.

I do know it should by no means be a normal occurence. We used to have a guy at work that would use some 100lbers upstairs in the gym. Man, he'd drop those things about 6 times a workout. Sounded like a freakin train coming through!

I just don't see the need in tearing up your ****.
    I agree.
    The only occasion I could think of would be some overhead press and you are attempting to get that last rep or a new PR.
    Even when I bench dumbbells (up to 100s), I sit back up with them while on the bench (I dont even drop them to the sides from the bench height).

So, yeah, it could happen, but the chances of it are rare and the only reasons would be what has been named (too much weight, or a heavy attempt while tired, which I guess could fall under reason #1).
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have Ironmaster dbells (120 lbs)

I bought them 3 years ago, very solid.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    I've debated sharing this, its a little embarrassing, but I dropped a dumbbell in my gym the other evening. I'm not exactly sure how it happened but I kicked them up to my shoulders and then lay back to do my bent arm laterals on the flat bench, somehow as I was pressing them up to my start position the bell in my right hand overbalanced me and I lost it to the side, it was either ditch it or lose my shoulder, so..... klunk. At that point I picked it back up started over and the set went fine, but stuff happens.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    I've debated sharing this, its a little embarrassing, but I dropped a dumbbell in my gym the other evening. I'm not exactly sure how it happened but I kicked them up to my shoulders and then lay back to do my bent arm laterals on the flat bench, somehow as I was pressing them up to my start position the bell in my right hand overbalanced me and I lost it to the side, it was either ditch it or lose my shoulder, so..... klunk. At that point I picked it back up started over and the set went fine, but stuff happens.

That's what I was talking about. Stuff can happen, I figurered. You probably didn't do it 5 more times though!

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    See all of these repetitive threads have me constantly changing my mind!

I just picked up the Powerblock Sport 9.0's and I'm already debating returning them and getting the Ironmasters!

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    The thing is no matter what anyone says on the net I've never seen a broken Powerblock in person. They each have ther advantages And I suspect that either would be a step up fro me and also that your Powerblocks will be with you for a very long time.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    The thing is no matter what anyone says on the net I've never seen a broken Powerblock in person. They each have ther advantages And I suspect that either would be a step up fro me and also that your Powerblocks will be with you for a very long time.
    Yeah I'm actually not too worried about the durability. What's making the decision hard for me is the fact that for an extra $100 I can get the IM at 75lbs with a stand. But to take the PB to 90lbs with a stand would be an extra $350 or so.

Of course I would have to drive 5 hours to get the IM for $439.