Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by goexfitness View Post
    Hey Ryan,

First off, I want to say thanks a ton for this thread! I've been learning a great deal about what good PT's do for their clients for both acquisition and retention. It's awesome that you've been sharing your experience as a successful PT to propel other forward in their careers.

I want note that although I'm not a PT myself I still enjoy a good workout! I believe that while personal training is important, the online tools available to PTs are a bit... limited. As a potential client, I actually went online to research tools which would not only connect me with a good PT but would make receiving and tracking workouts quick and easy. However, I couldn't find anything that really nailed what I was looking for so I've actually created an open platform to make online training more accessible and easier for both Trainers and Clients.

Right now, I have the structure of an app called Go eX Fitness which I believe could really change the landscape of online training for the better and I'd really appreciate any feedback you can provide. I actually have a couple of questions about what led you to succeed in your online training ventures so I can make this tool as useful to Trainers as possible.

1) How do you currently practice online training? What tool(s) do you use for the online part of your business (making workouts, interacting with Clients, etc)?
    Yes. I use email and excel, along with other means of communication like FB Messenger or text messaging.

2) Without in-person interaction, how do you maintain your relationship online with clients (keeping things interesting)? Do you simply send your Clients workouts/meals or is there more key info going back and forth?
    I talk with them daily/weekly depending on the client's needs. There is as much info going back and forth as the client needs/wants their to be. Some are higher maintenance and some are lower maintenance. In either case though, each client is getting their weekly materials sent to them at a minimum.

3) What kind of payment structure does your online business have? Have you ever done in-person training in combination with online training for individual Clients?
    I allow for monthly or in-full payments. I have worked with people in person and online, but not at the same time because with one, the other isn't needed.

4) How do you convey the value of personal training (online especially) to potential clients? You mentioned in an earlier post about 'being present' at local gyms but this seems more difficult in practice online.
    This is simple. I provide value to people before they're even a client by answering their pre-client questions. I also display the value of my services through testimonials and making it very clear that I'm passionate about what I do.

I'm asking all this to make the best online Client management tool out there for PTs. If you've got anything else to add which you think is important to online training, please let me know.
    I'm personally not in need of a management tool for my business, but best of luck with your app.

Thanks for posting
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The following is a PM I got from someone in this thread and I want to respond publicly because it helps more people that way. The OP is cool with it.

You said working 30 hours a week would lead to burnout, but I'm currently working 35ish hours a week at the spinal cord injury place and have just hit 15 hours a week at the personal training studio, and this is definitely sustainable(for now).
    Can you outline what you do at the spinal clinic? Are you working with clients non-stop there?

I've always been able to handle this type of workload and would like to know why you think 30 hours a week would lead to burnout. As a strength coach we trained teams from 6 AM - 10:30, then again from 1-6. Not to mention going to all of the teams games, and training on Sundays during football season. I have a system where all my clients have their own printed out workout sheets, so they can do the warmup and/or finish up without me if they HAVE to, and I never have more than 3 stacked. If I can train clients from 6-10 and from 3-7, fitting 3 hours of clients into each of those 4 hour slots, that to me seems like an EASY workday, considering I have such a huge break during the middle of the day to train, go home and play with my dog(I live close by), take a nap, whatever.
    Over the years, many trainers have mentioned starting to feel burnt out around the 30 session per week mark. I've found this to be true with myself and with others who talk about it freely. 30 hours of actual personal training with clients versus 30 hours of a job where you aren't under the spotlight at all times are two different things.

Also, you have to think about the future and that schedule as well. If you plan on having nobody else rely on you in life, that schedule of working from 6am-7pm with a break in the middle of the day when everyone else is working or at school will work fine for you. However, if you want to have a relationship and time to enjoy and maintain it, that schedule isn't exactly idea. If you plan to have kids, it's definitely not ideal. These are things to think about when planning a future and looking ahead. It doesn't mean you shouldn't work this schedule ever, it means you should think about how long this schedule will work for you.

I thought the 50/50 split was great- I didn't know it wasn't the industry standard. My boss loves me so far, so maybe in the future I can improve that split. ASSUMING that I am fantastic for his business- do you think that's something I could negotiate in the future?
    The 50/50 split is not great. You think someone deserves 50% of the money you earn simply for providing equipment and space? I personally think that is BS, which is why I provide those who work under me with a 70/30 split and the ability to move up to 75/25. If you aren't able to negotiate your wage in the future, that seems unfair as well. Do you know of other jobs where it's unacceptable to ask for a raise if you're performing well?

I don't really want to be a physical therapist, I just have always liked the "prehab" and "medical fitness" aspects, as cliché as they are. A history as a collegiate strength coach with a biomechanics masters degree has pushed me towards that. The only reason I'm even considering PT school is the stability it provides, being able to bill insurance. You know as well as I do, if a big recession hits, luxury items like personal training will be one of the first things people stop paying for.
    I actually continued to grow my business through the recession that took place over the past 10 years. So while I understand that you might think people will drop training in a second, it's not the case if you are providing them with a service they see as valuable and necessary. If you can do this, PT isn't a luxury for people, it's a necessity.

I eventually want to run my own facility that's more of a hybrid PT/performance center. I don't NEED to go to PT school to do that, if I'm a successful personal trainer with my own studio and plan in place, I can just hire a PT to work for me. Do you think insurance companies will ever consider paying for personal training?
    In the future, I do think insurance will cover PT to some degree, yes.

I know it just seems like I want validation... and I kind of do. I NEVER thought I could make a living as a personal trainer, but if I can make this work I want to.
    Depending on how many responsibilities you have in life and what bills come with those responsibilities, it's definitely realistic to be able to live enjoyably as a trainer.

jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thank you for the responses! The work at the SCI clinic can be seen as a combination of physical therapy and personal training. My hours right now are 9-3:30, but I plan on dropping them down to 10-3 if I can gain a few more clients, then quit altogether once I can get to around 30 hours per week. Also, if you think a 50% split is bad, I get $17 an hour for one on one while clients pay $100 per hour... Granted some days I only work for 2 of the 6 hours im there, THAT is robbery.

As far as family goes, I am married and she has a somewhat similar schedule because she commutes about an hour per day and works out at a gym near her work. We would like to have kids in a few years... If she can work from home or be a stay at home m, a schedule of 6-10, 2-6 with some weekend shifts would be fine as long as I live close enough by to go home and eat lunch with them during the day.

As far as that 50% split goes, thanks for the heads up and advice. All the clients like me so far, as does the boss and other trainers. I will try to increase that wage in the future.. Maybe use PT school(if I get accepted) as leverage in that regard. Does that sound like something I should do?

Thanks for the advice!

cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great thread with valuable information. I started reading last night and finished reading every post this morning. I've got a few questions for the OP or anyone operating out of their home.

I'm in the beginning stages of converting my downstairs living room into a home gym. I'll be waiting until black Friday to purchase a few key pieces of equipment but I'll be changing lighting and adding rubber flooring in the mean time. As I was planning the layout/equipment I hope to have in the gym, I thought personal training could provide a nice side income (and perhaps a full scale business down the road). I have no formal training experience aside from getting friends/family into working out and helping them with exercises. It's definitely very fulfilling to see people happy with the progress they are making and leading them into a healthier lifestyle instead of doing the latest fad for 30 days. Moving on to the questions about your home space:

-Do you have a separate policy and was it purchased through one of the PT associations for your home studio?

-Are you operating "on the down low" or did you check local zoning regs to make sure running a studio out of your home was okay?

-Do you have safety equipment such as a defibrillator/first aid?

-In a state that also receives its fair share of snow, have you run into any issues with clients canceling appointments during inclement weather? If so, how do you approach a cancelation in this kind of circumstance?

I'm sure I will think of more, but thanks for posting your valuable insight.

Originally Posted by cmb47 View Post
    Great thread with valuable information. I started reading last night and finished reading every post this morning. I've got a few questions for the OP or anyone operating out of their home.
    Thanks!

I'm in the beginning stages of converting my downstairs living room into a home gym. I'll be waiting until black Friday to purchase a few key pieces of equipment but I'll be changing lighting and adding rubber flooring in the mean time. As I was planning the layout/equipment I hope to have in the gym, I thought personal training could provide a nice side income (and perhaps a full scale business down the road).
    It certainly can.

I have no formal training experience aside from getting friends/family into working out and helping them with exercises. It's definitely very fulfilling to see people happy with the progress they are making and leading them into a healthier lifestyle instead of doing the latest fad for 30 days. Moving on to the questions about your home space:

-Do you have a separate policy and was it purchased through one of the PT associations for your home studio?
    My mom works in insurance, so I actually left it up to her to decide on which policy to sign up for. She does the leg work and I pay the bill. I know there are multiple options out there though, and contacting the organization that you are going to get certified through would be my starting point.

-Are you operating "on the down low" or did you check local zoning regs to make sure running a studio out of your home was okay?
    It is not an issue for me to have a business in my home in my city. In the first home gym I had, I was under the bylaws of an association though. I wasn't suppose to have a business in my home, but I really didn't care. I'm not sure if the president of the association knew or not, but nothing ever came of it because the association was broke and they didn't have the money to pursue anything towards me even if they wanted to, lol. When you're starting out, do what you gotta do.

-Do you have safety equipment such as a defibrillator/first aid?
    I did not have a defibrillator. Would it be a good idea? Yes. Should I have probably looked into that? Probably, yes. Did I have basic first aid supplies? Yes.

-In a state that also receives its fair share of snow, have you run into any issues with clients canceling appointments during inclement weather? If so, how do you approach a cancelation in this kind of circumstance?
    From time to time, but that doesn't make or break the business. The majority of the time it's not going to result in a ton of cancellations. When it does happen, I say we'll pick up with your next regularly scheduled appointment, you can repeat the 'homework' I gave to you last week, and there is no charge for this missed session.

I'm sure I will think of more, but thanks for posting your valuable insight.
    Feel free to post up any questions you want. I have made two training studios in two different homes, have trained at multiple franchise gyms, and have a ton of experience in online coaching as well. I'm here to help!

Ryan

cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb47 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Awesome, thanks for the response.

Awesome, thanks for the response.
    You're very welcome. I'm up for some more discussion if you have further questions.

Ryan

Ssoldier1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ssoldier1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ssoldier1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ssoldier1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ssoldier1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ssoldier1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ssoldier1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ssoldier1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ssoldier1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ssoldier1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ssoldier1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just read through the first 3-4 pages of this right now - very helpful and generous of you! I have a strong desire to build an online coaching business but I'm really struggling to identify a niche I can focus on. I've spent a lot of time brainstorming and looking at different possible areas I can uniquely focus on but thinking them through, I don't see them working.

I'm starting my PT certification in January 2017. I would very much like to base my service online so I'm thinking it would be wise to set up my online platforms (such as website) and developing my online presence. I have a mentor for the business side of things but I'm currently just stuck at finding a niche which is preventing me to progress.

Is there any niche you would recommend within the fitness and nutrition industry which you think there is a demand for or not being catered to particularly well? How can I find my niche when I'm not a naturally creative person? I'm the type of person to swallow books/blogs/articles then produce something meaningful and tailored towards who I'm targeting - I'm not the best at creating completely new and innovative concepts.

Once I know my niche, I can work on understanding everything there is to know and being the best person to go to for it. Any advice will be grateful and welcome! Thanks!

nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey Ryan, this is going to be an unfair post as 1. why would you give all your tricks away and 2. you've already written alot of this already in the thread. However...

If you were to start a new PT business from scratch in a private PT studio (that charges you $10 per hour) what exactly would you do?

After putting my business on hold after 90% of clients stopped training during the summer, I'm looking to get back into it, except this time instead of trying to balance it with my 9-5, I'm looking to go all in and make this dream a full time reality.

As always, thanks for your help!!

Originally Posted by Ssoldier1 View Post
    I just read through the first 3-4 pages of this right now - very helpful and generous of you! I have a strong desire to build an online coaching business but I'm really struggling to identify a niche I can focus on. I've spent a lot of time brainstorming and looking at different possible areas I can uniquely focus on but thinking them through, I don't see them working.

I'm starting my PT certification in January 2017. I would very much like to base my service online so I'm thinking it would be wise to set up my online platforms (such as website) and developing my online presence. I have a mentor for the business side of things but I'm currently just stuck at finding a niche which is preventing me to progress.

Is there any niche you would recommend within the fitness and nutrition industry which you think there is a demand for or not being catered to particularly well? How can I find my niche when I'm not a naturally creative person? I'm the type of person to swallow books/blogs/articles then produce something meaningful and tailored towards who I'm targeting - I'm not the best at creating completely new and innovative concepts.

Once I know my niche, I can work on understanding everything there is to know and being the best person to go to for it. Any advice will be grateful and welcome! Thanks!
    Good morning Soldier,

The thought that comes to mind when reading through your questions and thinking about them is that your niche needs to be something you fall into yourself. I personally would find it very hard to build a business around a niche market that I'm not actually a part of. How will you relate to a market you aren't a part of? How will you be the best trainer/coach you can be to someone in that market if you aren't in it yourself? As you can see, in my opinion, to be the best trainer in a set niche, you have to actually be in that niche now or have been at one time.

I would just like to add that it's important that you have your niche (favorite area), but that you are also not limiting yourself to only working with clients in that niche when growing your business. It's going to be much easier to obtain clients if you can work with people trying to accomplish multiple types of goals, both male and female, and all types of fat loss/weight gain/competition categories.

So as far as a niche that you would enjoy building a business around and are also personally a part of, do any ideas pop into your head?

Thanks for posting,

Ryan

nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by nctarheels21 View Post
    Hey Ryan, this is going to be an unfair post as 1. why would you give all your tricks away and 2. you've already written alot of this already in the thread. However...

If you were to start a new PT business from scratch in a private PT studio (that charges you $10 per hour) what exactly would you do?

After putting my business on hold after 90% of clients stopped training during the summer, I'm looking to get back into it, except this time instead of trying to balance it with my 9-5, I'm looking to go all in and make this dream a full time reality.

Going to shamelessly bump this again.

Hey man I missed this initially, sorry about that.

I have an important question, are they supplying you with consults or is this virtually the same as you starting up your own business from scratch?

Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    Hey man I missed this initially, sorry about that.

I have an important question, are they supplying you with consults or is this virtually the same as you starting up your own business from scratch?
    No worries, thanks for your reply.

This would be 100% from scratch.

A business built a decent workout area for their employees, but no one uses it so they want to rent it out to me. No benefit of exposure, storefront, etc. 100% building from scratch.

No worries, thanks for your reply.

This would be 100% from scratch.

A business built a decent workout area for their employees, but no one uses it so they want to rent it out to me. No benefit of exposure, storefront, etc. 100% building from scratch.
    To be honest, that is not going to be an easy feat with no store front, no existing member base, and no current reputation. I'm actually wondering about the cost for you too. You said it's $10.00 per hour cost to you? So is it $10.00 per hour for every hour you are physically there, training a client or not? If that is the case, it seems like a bad deal. That could add up to major overhead when you aren't even factoring in marketing costs yet! I gotta know about that too now.

Well I have a current reputation from before, and I'm sure I could push a few old clients to start up again. However, I need to reach more people than the 1,000 or so on FB. So what exactly would you do to do that?

And no, its just $10.00 per session. She originally wanted $400 per month, but I negotiated per session as I start off.

Well I have a current reputation from before, and I'm sure I could push a few old clients to start up again. However, I need to reach more people than the 1,000 or so on FB. So what exactly would you do to do that?

And no, its just $10.00 per session. She originally wanted $400 per month, but I negotiated per session as I start off.
    I swear my User CP did NOT show this new post! BTW, are you banned right now?

OK, $10.00 per session is MUCH better than $10.00 per hour of being there.

I would definitely get some past clients in there as a first step. As you know, being in the studio and training people where others might see those sessions going on is valuable for gaining interest. When people see others working with you, they will consider it for themselves. This is especially true if you're smiling with your clients and everyone seems to be having a nice time.

Also, you're going to have to think about some type of marketing. You need to think about your demographic and how they are getting their media. Go from there. Don't just use electronic marketing either, go with signs near the building and things like that.

I think you're going to have to put in some time with free sessions as well. You are a new business with very little reputation in that area and that is challenging. Your main goal is to have bodies in the building! That is important. Without them, you'll find yourself suffering. So think of ways to get people in the door and actually working with you and talking with you.

For starters, those are three suggestions I have for you.

Ryan,

What is your take on when it's "acceptable" to bring on clients? I'm considering throwing my feelers out to friends and friends of friends to see who would be interested in some instruction before pursuing a certification. I've helped transform friends in the past, but not sure if it's unethical in your opinion to train without certification.

Ryan,

What is your take on when it's "acceptable" to bring on clients? I'm considering throwing my feelers out to friends and friends of friends to see who would be interested in some instruction before pursuing a certification. I've helped transform friends in the past, but not sure if it's unethical in your opinion to train without certification.
    CMB,

There are so many people out there who aren't certified who could train circles around people that are. Certification doesn't make the trainer, just like a college degree doesn't make someone better at something than someone else who is self taught.

My advice is to check the guidelines in your area and go from there. If you aren't required to be certified, have the marketing skills to get clients, and are comfortable in your knowledge and training skills, start taking clients and build experience and skills from there.

thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey Ryan,

First off, thanks for all the info you put out, really is appreciated.

I'm currently a Strength & Nutrition Coach in South Africa, but due to the political climate here and other factors around the country I aim to move my family to San Diego (Encinitas area) late next year.

At the moment I have a decent home gym set up and clients come to see me on a Semi Private session basis. I love the semi private business model because they get a reduced rate, I earn much more per hour, it's still individualised and I have more people coming through my door generating referrals that I wouldn't have with 1 on 1.

I also have a very busy online practice as well, which is probably a 70/30 split between nutrition and training. Although that gap is decreasing month on month as people realise the benefit of proper coaching plans.

With the move, I will still run the South Africa business in an online capacity and have 2 coaches who will be working for me to keep the company turning on that end with me overseeing things and servicing my existing clients.

When I get to the US I really need to hit the ground running. I aim to have built up some more international clients by that point so that bills can be covered quite quickly, but I would also really like to start another gym there, even if it's just like I have now.

I think I remember you going completely online, but to generate enough money coming in and make the move worthwhile (plus I enjoy it) I would need to open a space up.

What things should I be considering? Any advice for starting up? I won't have a name there like I do here, although I can certainly use some of the credentials from the big mags here which are worldwide to help me.

What other liabilities will I need to cover to protect myself professionally and personally? I have various things in SA, yet none are required or enforceable.

If renting a commercial space, do landlords normally cover some tenant installation costs and amortize it into the rental over the term of the contract?

I'm confident that the core of the operation being me, my knowledge, skill set and results will make the business successful but as always it's about doing the ground work first.

Any input on the above comments or other would be appreciated.
    Cheers.

CMB,

There are so many people out there who aren't certified who could train circles around people that are. Certification doesn't make the trainer, just like a college degree doesn't make someone better at something than someone else who is self taught.

My advice is to check the guidelines in your area and go from there. If you aren't required to be certified, have the marketing skills to get clients, and are comfortable in your knowledge and training skills, start taking clients and build experience and skills from there.
    Great, thank you. I am in the final steps of completing my home gym and think people would find it a nice place to work out. As I indicated earlier, this would strictly be a side income (unless it blew up) and I would be sourcing through friends/family as opposed to starting in a gym. Even if I only had one client each week after work, a couple hundred bucks a month would at least pay off the gym and help one person be a better version.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    cmb47, get a ******** business page. There's no cost but time. Invite all your fb friends to like it as a start, and any prospects you have point them to it. On this page you put images and videos of your gym as it is being built. "Here is the empty garage! Here's the boxes that got delivered today!" Do an unboxing video, just a minute (nobody watches more than that, and usually only 20"), "I got this piece of gear so people can -" and so on, always adding, "getting ready to open January 1st!" (or whenever). Invite everyone you know around for a workout and bbq session that day, take pics and vids and put them up. Anyone you train, take pics and vids and put them up if the person's comfortable with that (most are).

People look for 3 things in a gym, Dan John told us,

1. "Don't make me look stupid"
    2. community
    3. results

The first is about being approachable and obviously competent in teaching things. The second is shown by the opening bbq, and with any workout vids, people laughing or talking sht to each-other. The third is shown again by those vids and images. Remember "results" isn't just before/after chubby/sixpack stuff, it's also the movements - someone couldn't squat, you taught them, now they can, that sort of thing. So the vids/images on your page show what sort of place it is.

As well, celebrating people's achievements encourages the clients you already have. When a friend sees someone deadlift 100kg or do a chinup for the first time, they'll tell them, "well done!" So this encourages your people to keep coming.

As an example, here is my FB page - https://www.********.com/athleticclubeast/. I have a regular webpage, too, but that's less often updated, it's just to capture when people google "garage gyms Melbourne" or whatever. Messages from prospective clients do come from the webpage, but the regular communication and engagement happens on the FB page. Others use Instagram or whatever, same deal really.

Revelation512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Revelation512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Revelation512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Revelation512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Revelation512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Revelation512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Revelation512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Revelation512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Revelation512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Revelation512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Revelation512 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am a very ambushes individual. I want to start my own personal training business. I have a full time job with great beifits so want to fo PT part tome until i get enough clients to go full time. Others are telling me to quit this good job and start off at a gym to build experience. What do you suggest? (I''m recently certified!!)

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Start off at a big gym. And improve your literacy skills or attention to detail, spelling and grammar matter, yes even for a PT.

Great, thank you. I am in the final steps of completing my home gym and think people would find it a nice place to work out. As I indicated earlier, this would strictly be a side income (unless it blew up) and I would be sourcing through friends/family as opposed to starting in a gym. Even if I only had one client each week after work, a couple hundred bucks a month would at least pay off the gym and help one person be a better version.
    This is exactly true about starting small, earning a nice little addition to your current income, etc. Start with the people you can, there is nothing wrong with that! Do you have any pics of your new gym?

Originally Posted by thefoodboss View Post
    Hey Ryan,

First off, thanks for all the info you put out, really is appreciated.
    You're welcome Mr. Cross. Putting good stuff out into the universe has never proven to be a bad idea!

I'm currently a Strength & Nutrition Coach in South Africa, but due to the political climate here and other factors around the country I aim to move my family to San Diego (Encinitas area) late next year.

At the moment I have a decent home gym set up and clients come to see me on a Semi Private session basis. I love the semi private business model because they get a reduced rate, I earn much more per hour, it's still individualised and I have more people coming through my door generating referrals that I wouldn't have with 1 on 1.
    Yep, no doubt about all those perks of group training. I've been more of a single client per session type of person throughout my training career, but am certainly not foreign to group training. When you have 2-4 people working at the same time and you can manage everyone effectively, that is the sign of a great trainer and you benefit from it.

I also have a very busy online practice as well, which is probably a 70/30 split between nutrition and training. Although that gap is decreasing month on month as people realise the benefit of proper coaching plans.
    I really think your ratio will correlate directly with how you market your business. If you want more training and nutrition combination clients, offer that over any single service options when providing information to a potential client. I'm not really sure what you want in terms of that ratio, but I personally like being in control of training and nutrition for my clients or nutrition only when it comes to a fat loss client. I don't like to work with people who have a goal of fat loss if they are only interested in training. To get them results, you need to control that nutrition. But like I said, I always prefer both training and nutrition for a client versus just one of those options.

With the move, I will still run the South Africa business in an online capacity and have 2 coaches who will be working for me to keep the company turning on that end with me overseeing things and servicing my existing clients.
    NICE on having employees! It's a great feeling to have employees and to know that you're helping someone else in this world do what they love and get paid for it.

When I get to the US I really need to hit the ground running. I aim to have built up some more international clients by that point so that bills can be covered quite quickly, but I would also really like to start another gym there, even if it's just like I have now.

I think I remember you going completely online, but to generate enough money coming in and make the move worthwhile (plus I enjoy it) I would need to open a space up.

What things should I be considering? Any advice for starting up? I won't have a name there like I do here, although I can certainly use some of the credentials from the big mags here which are worldwide to help me.
    You should be considering the cost of rent and building out a studio. The start-up costs may require a loan and rent where you're moving is likely going to be expensive. I know you are moving to one of the more expensive parts of the country, which will make the initial build out challenging. However, it also means you can charge a good amount per session and you are in an area when people view looks as an important part of their being. The amount of fish in the sea around you should be large.

I strongly recommend that you read through the previous pages of this thread to hear my advice when it comes to getting clients in a studio and also building your business in general. I'd even suggest considering working in an existing busy gym to help build your local reputation. You could do this and work on your own business at the same time, to be honest. There is nothing wrong with pulling clients from an existing pool in a gym that you don't have to pay a penny for.

What other liabilities will I need to cover to protect myself professionally and personally? I have various things in SA, yet none are required or enforceable.
    Contact insurance companies in your area and discuss what you want to do with them, they will have the best answers for you. If you decide to work for an existing gym as part of your transition process, you will want to make sure they don't want you to have a specific certification that you don't have. I haven't ever seen a gym care about which certification a trainer has though, just to be honest. Of the two main gyms I've built my reputation through, neither of them asked about certification during interviews.

If renting a commercial space, do landlords normally cover some tenant installation costs and amortize it into the rental over the term of the contract?
    Typically no, as far as my personal experience goes. You rent the space and you pay for modifying it. For example, I've seen multiple Anytime Fitnesses go up from scratch and they start out a dirt floor shell. The owner has to put money into everything to turn that shell into a gym. The thing that sucks about that when renting a space is that you just put all that money into building out a space that you don't even own.....

I'm confident that the core of the operation being me, my knowledge, skill set and results will make the business successful but as always it's about doing the ground work first.
    Yes, I'm confident in that too. Like I said, the initial transition and the finances that go along with that are going to be daunting, but I know that you will prevail in the longer run.

Any input on the above comments or other would be appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Thank you for stopping in a posting. You are in a unique situation and if I can help you through it, I will.

This is exactly true about starting small, earning a nice little addition to your current income, etc. Start with the people you can, there is nothing wrong with that! Do you have any pics of your new gym?
    I do but unfortunately I'm not at the 50 post minimum to post pictures yet!

I do but unfortunately I'm not at the 50 post minimum to post pictures yet!
    You're at 40, so get posting!

thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) thefoodboss is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you for stopping in a posting. You are in a unique situation and if I can help you through it, I will.
    Thank you very much Ryan, appreciate the pointers and definitely have a lot to get done to make this happen.

Keep well and chat soon!

Originally Posted by thefoodboss View Post
    Thank you very much Ryan, appreciate the pointers and definitely have a lot to get done to make this happen.

Keep well and chat soon!
    I believe you will do it, and do it well.

ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I believe you will do it, and do it well.
    hello ryan, ive recently started a blog, would love for you to check it out i can PM u the link. Would also like some feedback.

ALSO, was thinking about online skype training? Any idea whats some good price points for online training?