Thread: Home Gym Newbie

mvillezcas is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Home Gym Newbie

Hi all,
    First post and was looking for suggestions for a new functional trainer.

I want something with a smith machine and hooks for a barbell to do back squats and bench press.

I like the design of the TUFFSTUFF CORNER MULTI FUNCTIONAL TRAINER + SMITH PRESS (CXT-225) but it doesn’t have hooks for a loose barbell.

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wouldn’t waste Money on a system that incorporates a Smith machine . Get a power rack , and if you have to get one that can have an integrated lat machine
    Make Misc great again

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
    Wouldn’t waste Money on a system that incorporates a Smith machine . Get a power rack , and if you have to get one that can have an integrated lat machine
    I agree, a rack, bench and Olympic weight set would be my recommendation, if you want to supplement the rack set up, then a set of Ironmaster or Powerblock adjustable dumbbells would be a good way to go.

If you prefer a cable station, then I'd consider a lat/low row unit or a Functional Trainer, just don't compromise on the rack and bench, db's and cable stations are all well and good, but barbell work, generally based around a rack should be your primary focus.

Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    I agree, a rack, bench and Olympic weight set would be my recommendation, if you want to supplement the rack set up, then a set of Ironmaster or Powerblock adjustable dumbbells would be a good way to go.

If you prefer a cable station, then I'd consider a lat/low row unit or a Functional Trainer, just don't compromise on the rack and bench, db's and cable stations are all well and good, but barbell work, generally based around a rack should be your primary focus.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    You’re right, I was considering my wife when thinking about the smith machine but I’ll just force her to squat without it. She was my main focus here but power rack looks to be the more effective option.

What full racks do you guys like that has a lat pull down?

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mvillezcas View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    You’re right, I was considering my wife when thinking about the smith machine but I’ll just force her to squat without it. She was my main focus here but power rack looks to be the more effective option.

What full racks do you guys like that has a lat pull down?
    She can do squats with a functional trainer as well if she's dead set against barbell squats. All of the decent FTs come with a bar (or have one available) to join both sides to simulate barbell movements. That said, the rack is generally the first priority for most, but if you have room for an FT and a rack go for it.

What's your budget?

https://www.legendfitness.com/produc...ion-half-cage/

Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    She can do squats with a functional trainer as well if she's dead set against barbell squats. All of the decent FTs come with a bar (or have one available) to join both sides to simulate barbell movements. That said, the rack is generally the first priority for most, but if you have room for an FT and a rack go for it.

What's your budget?
    Wow! This legend is what I was looking for. How much is this?

I wanted to buy a rack of DBs 5-50 (inc of 5) and the rack/FT for under $4k. Is that possible?

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wow! This legend is what I was looking for. How much is this?

I wanted to buy a rack of DBs 5-50 (inc of 5) and the rack/FT for under $4k. Is that possible?
    I got a quote on it in November 2018 and it was $4,500, an additional 100 lb added to each weight stack for $500, $850 shipping + tax. You can get separate units for less, but if space is tight and money is not, I think the Legend combo looks pretty sweet.

If you check the used market (FB Marketplace is the busiest market these days), you can definitely pick up everything you want for under $4K. The Cybex Bravo, Life Fitness CMDAP and Star Trac Instinct would be my first choices for FTs with the Inspire FT1 second. For racks, there are too many good racks out there to list them all. DBs are easy. Just decide what type you want (metal/rubber hex, Pro Style, adjustable (Powerblock, Ironmaster), etc.) and go from there.

christin101 is not very well liked. (-100) christin101 is not very well liked. (-100) christin101 is not very well liked. (-100) christin101 is not very well liked. (-100) christin101 is not very well liked. (-100) christin101 is not very well liked. (-100) christin101 is not very well liked. (-100) christin101 is not very well liked. (-100) christin101 is not very well liked. (-100) christin101 is not very well liked. (-100) christin101 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Buy a power rack and try multiple exercises

1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In addition to Legend, Samson Equipment makes combo 1/2 racks and FT. Depending on you layout, having the FT on the front of the rack may be more space efficient.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #73 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #78 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #20 ||---||

SQmartca is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi all,
    First post and was looking for suggestions for a new functional trainer.

I want something with a smith machine and hooks for a barbell to do back squats and bench press.

I like the design of the TUFFSTUFF CORNER MULTI FUNCTIONAL TRAINER + SMITH PRESS (CXT-225) but it doesn’t have hooks for a loose barbell.
    If cash is an issue, stick with a decent rack, a good barbell, a stall mat, and an Olympic weight set so you can do the main compound exercises. Check out my link for details on the weight equipment i just bought, all of which cost me a little less than $500.
    Link to the home equipment I am planning on buying. Input would be greatly appreciated.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177887171

Link to the workout regime I am planning on implementing.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177887211