Registered User LawrenceValenti's Avatar
    LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000)

Will boxing training affect my recovery from lifting?

Im trying to do 50 minutes of intense boxing training once a week, followed up by a long relaxing Epsom salt bath to relax the muscles

Im going to load up on calories on that day, but will the training affect my ability to recover from weight lifting on the other days?

My lifting routine looks like this

Full body Tuesday
    Full body Thursday
    Full body Saturday

Where would you put boxing in to where it wont conflict too much with your recovery?
    Last edited by LawrenceValenti; 10-19-2019 at 07:55 AM.

weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You don't say "intense boxing", it cannot be non-intense. As a boxer, you would probably be thinking more like, "where to fit lifting and how much of lifting so it doesn't affect my boxing".

Are you doing "box fit" cardio? Or you train as a boxer, like learning skills, pads, sparring etc? At any rate, 50 minutes once a week is nothing, you can fit it anywhere, next day, same day, right after etc. A bit of a problem when you box after leg days, but since you are doing full body it shouldn't be a problem. it is fundamentally different from lifting, so it really doesn't affect recovery, actually helps recovery a little bit.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're just doing cardio boxing lmao you can do that anytime, including after lifting weights.

If you are actually sparring come back for actual advice on programming for combat sports.

LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    You don't say "intense boxing", it cannot be non-intense. As a boxer, you would probably be thinking more like, "where to fit lifting and how much of lifting so it doesn't affect my boxing".

Are you doing "box fit" cardio? Or you train as a boxer, like learning skills, pads, sparring etc? At any rate, 50 minutes once a week is nothing, you can fit it anywhere, next day, same day, right after etc. A bit of a problem when you box after leg days, but since you are doing full body it shouldn't be a problem. it is fundamentally different from lifting, so it really doesn't affect recovery, actually helps recovery a little bit.
    It’s just 1 to 1 training with a coach that involves mainly pad and bag work, throwing combos and bobbing

I do squats and Romanian deadlifts on 2 days in the week, then heavy leg press and curls on the other day, I’ll probably train on the Monday

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    You're just doing cardio boxing lmao you can do that anytime, including after lifting weights.

If you are actually sparring come back for actual advice on programming for combat sports.
    I’m not doing it for the cardio lmao, I’m on a 600 calorie deficit.

I don’t need to do any sparring at the moment, when I first started out it helped me to see my weaknesses whilst building my confidence, but at the moment I’m only doing boxing to just keep myself accustomed to the sport

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LawrenceValenti View Post
    I’m not doing it for the cardio lmao, I’m on a 600 calorie deficit.

I don’t need to do any sparring at the moment, when I first started out it helped me to see my weaknesses whilst building my confidence, but at the moment I’m only doing boxing to just keep myself accustomed to the sport
    If you arent getting punched, you arent accustomed to the sport. Sigh.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    If you arent getting punched, you arent accustomed to the sport. Sigh.
    You definitely been whacked around the head a few times

leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100)
    Box fit training, do what you want.

Real boxing, seriously consider doing weights or boxing depending on how intense your class is. Getting punched is a whole different ball game.

I'm thai boxer of 4.5 years and I've dabbled with doing weights and thai boxing at the same time and I end up having terrible recovery time and couldn't balance the two because would always be banged and sore for weight lifting. When bulking, I temporarily ditched thai and focused on weights. When cutting, I abandoned weights and increased thai classes. Combining the two is difficult.

Boxing may be different though because it's just hands and face and you might escape with sore arms and a fat lip but with thai, we had clinches, knees, leg kicks and full power roundhouses to deal with which needed at least 2 days recovery time, trying to force weights in while your arms are bruised and your body is aching from clinch sparring was difficult. So the bottom line is, it depends on how intense your class is.

armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by LawrenceValenti View Post
    Im trying to do 50 minutes of intense boxing training once a week, followed up by a long relaxing Epsom salt bath to relax the muscles

Im going to load up on calories on that day, but will the training affect my ability to recover from weight lifting on the other days?

My lifting routine looks like this

Full body Tuesday
    Full body Thursday
    Full body Saturday

Where would you put boxing in to where it wont conflict too much with your recovery?
    The answer is yes