RockingDad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RockingDad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein shakes...stop using them and loose muscle?

Hey everyone,

This may be a noob question but here we go...

I've just started on whey protein shakes to get my muscle back after a period of illness last year and a break from lifting. I got to seeing some improvements on definition before I had to stop.

Started again two weeks ago and seem to have some size improvements already but my question is if I stop the shakes and can't get the protein via dietary means will I loose the muscle or so long as I keep lifting i'll maintain it?

i'm doing the 5x5 program on compound lifts.

Cheers

RockingDad
    regenerating after being broken

Progress not Perfection cowboybiker's Avatar
    cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by RockingDad View Post
    Hey everyone,

This may be a noob question but here we go...

I've just started on whey protein shakes to get my muscle back after a period of illness last year and a break from lifting. I got to seeing some improvements on definition before I had to stop.

Started again two weeks ago and seem to have some size improvements already but my question is if I stop the shakes and can't get the protein via dietary means will I loose the muscle or so long as I keep lifting i'll maintain it?

i'm doing the 5x5 program on compound lifts.

Cheers

RockingDad

Have you considered gettin protien via Steak, Chicken or Pork ???
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. – Thomas Jefferson

Be yourself; Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Keep the Protein shakes in. Find out what your maintanence protein intake should be,..whatever you cant get from whole food supplement with powder or bars,...
    2009 NGA Masters Pro Bodybuilder and Athlete.

"I dont stop when Im tired,..I stop when Im done"

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cowboybiker View Post
    Fcukin' A bubba - chicken, steak, fish, eggs...I.e. real food.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    Logic dictates that if you keep lifting with sufficient intensity to break down muscle tissue and do not eat enough protein to repair the damage being done, that yes you will lose some muscle mass.

While your body can break down protein to create energy, I do not believe the reverse is true: your body cannot create amino acids and thus protein out of carbohydrates or fats.
    Overweight and arrogant

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cowboybiker View Post
    Pork...how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Bacon
    Rashers
    Trotters
    Shanks
    Shoulder roast
    Ham
    Chops
    Fat belly
    Seasonings
    Carnitas
    Knuckles
    Marrow
    Ribs...oh, G-d, ribs...
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by marius_ursus View Post
    bacon
    o.m.g. Bacon !!!
    --
    Knows a trial lawyer who knows how to defend himself in an online forum.

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    Pork...how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Bacon
    Rashers
    Trotters
    Shanks
    Shoulder roast
    Ham
    Chops
    Fat belly
    Seasonings
    Carnitas
    Knuckles
    Marrow
    Ribs...oh, G-d, ribs...
    ^^^
    Slobber slobber...

There's a great place in Vancouver called Memphis Blue that does pork in the southern tradition, and huge helpings. Every time I'm in that city I have to work hard to avoid MB's tractor beam of olfactory-memory...

- Anon

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by DaddyR View Post
    Logic dictates that if you keep lifting with sufficient intensity to break down muscle tissue and do not eat enough protein to repair the damage being done, that yes you will lose some muscle mass.

While your body can break down protein to create energy, I do not believe the reverse is true: your body cannot create amino acids and thus protein out of carbohydrates or fats.
    ^^^^This.

Protein is the only macro source your body can use to build/maintain muscle tissue. If you're consistently deficient in your protein intake, you'll lose muscle over time, as well as your overall health.

As has been already stated, you can use protein powder, or you can use regular food to meet your daily requirements, regular food being the preferred source.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Fcukin' A bubba - chicken, steak, fish, eggs...I.e. real food.
    And what is a protein shake......fake food ?
    If you never get OUT of it.....you'll never have to "get back into it"

Originally Posted by groink View Post
    And what is a protein shake......fake food ?
    I'm under attack by Groink! I'd hoped this would never happen. I admire your physique Groink.

I meant solid food. Not a real fan of shakes. I know they can be good, but as an extra, not a replacement.

- Anon

groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    I'm under attack by Groink! I'd hoped this would never happen. I admire your physique Groink.

I meant solid food. Not a real fan of shakes. I know they can be good, but as an extra, not a replacement.

Thanks man....to me it's all the same. food is food.

I drink two shakes a day for a quick, high quality 120 grams of protein and about 800 cals.

What i do is put 50 grams of IDS dutch chocolate,

a whole egg,

a (small) squirt of Hersheys dark chocolate syrup about a tablespoon,

some crushed ice,

8 0z 1% milk.....Blend it up for a few minutes and BOOM, delicious.

I don't have time to cook and prepare actual meals every time i eat....who does ?

Think I'll make one right now.....they are yummy

EDIT: You looked damn good yourself a while back

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DaddyR View Post

^^^^^Great explanation.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

I drink two shakes a day for a quick, high quality 120 grams of protein and about 800 cals.

a whole egg,

some crushed ice,

I don't have time to cook and prepare actual meals every time i eat....who does ?

Actually those shakes sound great! The egg and milk, very straightforward, no nonsense powders and pills. Very good.

Yes, I'll look good again soon enough. I'll be posting a progress pic soon. Thanks.

- Anon

nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

a whole egg,

some crushed ice,

Sounds tasty. I used to use the Hershey's liquid but the extra sugar bothered me. I switched to 100% cocoa powder. It tastes better (less sweet) and has 3g carbs, 2g fibre, 1gram fat and 1g protein per tbsp. I use about 1/2 tbsp. I know a small squirt of the liquid doesnt add that much sugar but switching was win-win.

Anyhow, back on topic..

Originally Posted by nixter View Post
    Sounds tasty. I used to use the Hershey's liquid but the extra sugar bothered me. I switched to 100% cocoa powder. It tastes better (less sweet) and has 3g carbs, 2g fibre, 1gram fat and 1g protein per tbsp. I use about 1/2 tbsp. I know a small squirt of the liquid doesnt add that much sugar but switching was win-win.

Anyhow, back on topic..
    Think I'll give that a try

Think I'll give that a try
    I will too. I haven't had a shake in 25 years (admittedly when I did drink them they were honest to goodness like Groink's, not these super booster powder things for sale everywhere). I like the simplicity. See if it works. I have a bit of a lactose intolerance but I can handle smallish amounts of skim.

- Anon

nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't want turn this into a shake recipe thread but given my heavy reliance on shakes due to my work schedule I'll share my favorite one that I drink twice a day and NEVER get sick of. I'm picky about taste so I've tried all kinds in the past and I always got sick of them until I came up with this.

200 ml 2% milk
    Half a frozen banana. (I pre-peel 10-12 bananas, chop them in 2 inch chunks and freeze them.)
    One LARGE scoop of Natural peanut butter. (I keep it in the fridge so it's semi solid and cold)
    1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
    1 or 2 scoops Iso Sensation Cafe Brazil protein powder. (This part is key to the good taste)

I hand blend this up into a thick milkshake like consistency. It's like eating desert twice a day.

VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

a whole egg,

some crushed ice,

Careful bro this supplement talk is blasphemy on this forum