jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Overrated & underrated

It applies for everything: exercises, movements, programming, type of weights, nutrition, supplements and so on...

Stuff that work well or not that well for you.

For me:

Overrated:

- cable stiff arm pulldowns; I noticed it is a popular exercise, especially for people who believe back = lats. I tried it different ways {several grips, rope, bar, standing, kneeling} and a kneeling one arm cable high row seems so much better to isolate the lats.

- preworkout; after experimenting with some of them, 200 mg of a caffeine pill is the same. Also, I don't understand why most people take it, 15-20 minutes before starting to warm up. For me, I feel the caffeine effects after 10 minutes and I prefer to take it after warmup, it's not like I need help for the first 6-8 sets. Also, I want to experiment with nicotine gum before training.

-------------------------

Underrated:

- mobility work/stretching; I just feel much better after it, both physically and mentally. I know some people here see it as a "if you can do a lifting exercise with full ROM, no need for mobility", but even a strongman like Brian Alsruhe talks highly about it.
    https://youtu.be/To1VPRd2hRY

- dumbell bentover tucked fly with the elbows bent for the traps and rhomboids.

- GHD reverse hyper {gym doesn't own a reverse hyper machine} feels great on the lower back

-----------------------------

Hopefully, this will not become a "trap bar vs conventional deadlift" thread
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    Hopefully, this will not become a "trap bar vs conventional deadlift" thread
    I wasn't even thinking about that until you said it. I think that one's already pretty clearly on the record for and against lol.

Overrated:

- Highly leaned-forward, fixed handle tricep pulldowns. I know that's not the way to do them but I see them done that way all the time.

- Straps

Underrated:

- Overhead Press. Lately it seems like this one has gotten dogged on a lot and I'm not sure why.

- Curls. People get made fun of for giving them any kind of real emphasis but it's the ideal exercise for biceps and if you've got a strong curl, odds are good that your arms are big. Totally fair to regard with importance IMO.
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Overrated -

dumbell pullovers
    Dumbbell flyes
    Laying hamstring curls
    V-handle "Tbar rows"
    Arms fully flared for almost anything

Underrated -

Pullover machine
    Ghr leg curl
    Cambered bar bench!
    Prowler/sled drags and pushed

Things that upset me that they are over rated -

Bands/chains/adjusting strength curves are stupid fun but no better ffs certainly not the god send some claim, ill still be going it tho
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 09-26-2022 at 11:31 AM.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    D-handle "Tbar rows"
    What's a D-handle? And would be curious to hear you elaborate on this one.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    - preworkout; after experimenting with some of them, 200 mg of a caffeine pill is the same. Also, I don't understand why most people take it, 15-20 minutes before starting to warm up. For me, I feel the caffeine effects after 10 minutes and I prefer to take it after warmup, it's not like I need help for the first 6-8 sets. Also, I want to experiment with nicotine gum before training.
    Beta alanine for sure increases power endurance.
    Last edited by GeneralSerpant; 09-26-2022 at 09:43 AM.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Just a single hand grip. The grip is straight but it rounds out a bit for the hypotenuse of the attachment.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Overrated: black dumbbells
    Underrated: pink dumbbells
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    My bad.
    I meant the V Handle.... Dunno why my phone corrected that one.

Over rated as ****, most cheated and bastardised lift.
    And people love to heave it
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Too many to list, in either category

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Overrated:
    1. Squat
    2. Bench
    3. Deadlift
    4. Pendlay / Barbell Rows
    5. Barbell Curls
    6. Tricep Pushdowns

Underrated:
    1. Ass To Grass Reverse Banded Hack Squats
    2. Converging Isolateral Chest Press Machine
    3. Rounded Back 45 Degree Back Raise
    4. Diverging Isolateral Chest Supported Row Machine
    5. Preacher Curl Machine
    6. EZ Bar French Press

► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    Overrated:
    1. Squat
    2. Bench
    3. Deadlift
    4. Pendlay / Barbell Rows
    5. Barbell Curls
    6. Tricep Pushdowns

Underrated:
    1. Ass To Grass Reverse Banded Hack Squats
    2. Converging Isolateral Chest Press Machine
    3. Rounded Back 45 Degree Back Raise
    4. Diverging Isolateral Chest Supported Row Machine
    5. Preacher Curl Machine
    6. EZ Bar French Press

I mean, you’re not wrong.

However straight bar curls and pressdowns are in no ways overrated, just often bastardized.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    ... straight bar curls ... are in no ways overrated, just often bastardized.
    Wait, does this officially put you on record as liking a barbell exercise?

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Camarija View Post

Converging Isolateral

Diverging Isolateral

I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Overrated

1. T-Bar Row

It's the lift I see done poorly the most. Probably the most ego driven lift as it's usually heaved up without focusing on the muscle.

2. Close Grip Bench

Personal one but just don't like it. I don't feel the same activation as skullcrushers or dips in my triceps.

---------------------------------

Underated

1. Chin ups

Newer lifters avoid them like the plague, probably because it's a difficult to perform (if not impossible) exercise when you're overweight or not strong enough. Assisted chin ups to eventual chin ups with bodyweight (then weighted) belt are just as important as other compound lifts imo.
    Currently cutting.

InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Overrated - pullovers

Just can't get a good feel from them, and my tri's take over

- concentration curls

Can't get a good feel from these either

Underrated - Y raises on an angled bench for lower traps.

Doesn't take much weight, using 2.5 kg plates, one in each hand atm, but it really hits the
    lower traps nicely.