andreig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Doxycycline hyclate and Protein shakes/meal bars

Hello,

I have 2 questions regarding DOXYCYCLINE HYCLATE 100MG (this is tetracycline antibiotic) twice a day medicine that I started to take the other day -
    https://online.epocrates.com/u/10a204/doxycycline
    or
    http://www.evitamins.com/healthnotes...6004#Dni-Other

1. The instructions say that I should not take this medicine with milk or dairy products. I normally take it with just water. However, the questions is if it says that milk and dairy products will reduce the absorption of this medicine, does that mean that I should completely eliminate milk and dairy products from my diet until I am done with this medicine, or that just means that when you swallow the pill do not do it with milk and do not eat dairy or drink milk for couple hours before or after taking this medicine? I am confused. Should I completely abandon milk products or not?

2. I am taking Whey Protein supplements. Since whey protein is derived from milk, does that mean I cannot take that too if #1 is true that I should completely abandon milk and dairy products? I also take meal replacement bars many of which have magesium, calcium, etc that also can interfere with doxy.

I have seen some internet posting that suggest that yeah you can still take those but 4 hours apart of taking doxy antibiotic. Is that enough time to ensure milk etc. does not interfere with absorption of that medicine, or it is just better altogether to quit any milk products or mineral suppl until the course is over?

thanks...I appreciate any help/advise you can offer.

andy

mattzor is not very well liked. (-100) mattzor is not very well liked. (-100) mattzor is not very well liked. (-100) mattzor is not very well liked. (-100) mattzor is not very well liked. (-100) mattzor is not very well liked. (-100) mattzor is not very well liked. (-100) mattzor is not very well liked. (-100) mattzor is not very well liked. (-100) mattzor is not very well liked. (-100) mattzor is not very well liked. (-100)
    no i dont even believe in the milk bs either.

The only thing that DOES actually disrupt the doxycycline is multivatamin. Do not take it with your meds and you fine.

I have taken doxycycline for 4 years now and it works wonders for me. It doesnt relieve all acne but it does relieve 80% of it.

andreig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mattzor View Post
    no i dont even believe in the milk bs either.

The only thing that DOES actually disrupt the doxycycline is multivatamin. Do not take it with your meds and you fine.

I have taken doxycycline for 4 years now and it works wonders for me. It doesnt relieve all acne but it does relieve 80% of it.
    cool...so if I drink my protein shake or eat a meal bar that has minerals/vitamins in it after 3-4 hours of taking doxy, I should be fine? Just don't take the multivatimin pill at the same time you take doxy?

thanks