Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Conditioning for Soccer players

Cardio isn't needed in a soccer player's program in the form of mileage/long runs.

When it comes to running, soccer players need to develop these things:

Acceleration
    RSA
    Max Velocity

Acceleration allows one to accelerate rapidly to the ball, simply known and necessary. Max velocity work allows all around development of speed and neural adaptions to speed.

Now RSA which stands for Repeated Sprint Ability. Soccer players jog jog jog... SPRINT, jog jog jog... SPRINT. RSA is best developed through general use of proper speed work with full recovery, accelerations up to 20m with limited recovery time and tempo.

So speed work should have its place and proper use, now lets move onto developing the RSA. To generally condition a athlete we will use tempo and use two forms: extensive and intensive.

For better conditioning intensive (80%-90%) speed is used over 50-200m distances. This will build up a athlete's all around fitness.

Extensive tempo is used at variety of speeds under 75% to allow for both recovery and development of VO2.

So there we cover a athlete's base conditioning. Now for more specific development of RSA we will use accels with limited recovery time as well as f-s-f/s-f-s. For limited recovery time accels, 10-20m is ideal. Starting off with 1 minute rest between runs and lowering recovery every session is best way to go to allow for best adaption.

S-F-S/F-S-F goes like this. Mark out every 20m through a distance of 60m. What you do is start off jogging for 20m, then sprint for 20m, and jog for 20m. Or do the opposite and sprint for 20m, slow down to a job for 20m, then sprint again. You can do 5 instead of 3 runs.

booma2222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) booma2222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) booma2222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) booma2222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by farzamk View Post
    Cardio isn't needed in a soccer player's program in the form of mileage/long runs.

When it comes to running, soccer players need to develop these things:

Acceleration
    RSA
    Max Velocity

Acceleration allows one to accelerate rapidly to the ball, simply known and necessary. Max velocity work allows all around development of speed and neural adaptions to speed.

Now RSA which stands for Repeated Sprint Ability. Soccer players jog jog jog... SPRINT, jog jog jog... SPRINT. RSA is best developed through general use of proper speed work with full recovery, accelerations up to 20m with limited recovery time and tempo.

So speed work should have its place and proper use, now lets move onto developing the RSA. To generally condition a athlete we will use tempo and use two forms: extensive and intensive.

For better conditioning intensive (80%-90%) speed is used over 50-200m distances. This will build up a athlete's all around fitness.

Extensive tempo is used at variety of speeds under 75% to allow for both recovery and development of VO2.

So there we cover a athlete's base conditioning. Now for more specific development of RSA we will use accels with limited recovery time as well as f-s-f/s-f-s. For limited recovery time accels, 10-20m is ideal. Starting off with 1 minute rest between runs and lowering recovery every session is best way to go to allow for best adaption.

S-F-S/F-S-F goes like this. Mark out every 20m through a distance of 60m. What you do is start off jogging for 20m, then sprint for 20m, and jog for 20m. Or do the opposite and sprint for 20m, slow down to a job for 20m, then sprint again. You can do 5 instead of 3 runs.
    Is RSA good for Aussie Rules aswell?

It sounds like the stuff I want to do to get fit.
    Fear is the only thing that seperates the average man from a Champion

farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by booma2222 View Post
    Is RSA good for Aussie Rules aswell?

It sounds like the stuff I want to do to get fit.
    Yes RSA training is great for any sport conditioning.

RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So you say the best conditioning for a soccer player is like jog 20m sprint 20m for a total of 60m, then repeat instead of going for long runs.

But if you do the 20m run's, will it better allow you to run lets say, a long distance race?

Originally Posted by soccer1123 View Post
    So you say the best conditioning for a soccer player is like jog 20m sprint 20m for a total of 60m, then repeat instead of going for long runs.

But if you do the 20m run's, will it better allow you to run lets say, a long distance race?
    Not the best, it is a method of training RSA, the basic is tempo while repeated sprints are more specific training method to developing RSA.

RSA will help but not do that much for developing long distance running.

crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    seriously tho playing soccer i doubt there will ever be a race that requires a distance capacity

Originally Posted by crppleman51 View Post
    seriously tho playing soccer i doubt there will ever be a race that requires a distance capacity
    longest race you'll ever get in soccer is 60-70m, doing max velocity training is way more than enough. yet speed endurance training is still good for soccer players, so that is of zero issue.

RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In practice we run long distance's sometimes.

Originally Posted by soccer1123 View Post
    In practice we run long distance's sometimes.
    Not surprised to hear it, it's completely useless.

DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Farmzk, if I'm not wrong you recommendations are based largely on Charlie Francis' principles.

If so, I would like to ask you something and I hope you can give me an answer to this.

I just spent about 2 hours reading the Charlie Francis forums, and I read through almost every thread in the Soccer Section.

Now Charlie Francis recommends tempo running of 75% for soccer players for optimal aerobic conditioning. And he also says elite players do close to 12000m of tempo running a week.

My question is this. I'm not an elite player, well not yet anyways. So how much tempo running do you think I should do in a week (2 days a week). Can you provide me with a detailed program for that? (i.e. Tempo running at 75% distance x reps and recovery time).

Thanks in advance
    Loneliness knows me by name

Originally Posted by DesVaro View Post
    Hey Farmzk, if I'm not wrong you recommendations are based largely on Charlie Francis' principles.

If so, I would like to ask you something and I hope you can give me an answer to this.

I just spent about 2 hours reading the Charlie Francis forums, and I read through almost every thread in the Soccer Section.

Now Charlie Francis recommends tempo running of 75% for soccer players for optimal aerobic conditioning. And he also says elite players do close to 12000m of tempo running a week.

My question is this. I'm not an elite player, well not yet anyways. So how much tempo running do you think I should do in a week (2 days a week). Can you provide me with a detailed program for that? (i.e. Tempo running at 75% distance x reps and recovery time).

Thanks in advance
    Elite athletes doing 12000m of tempo per week, this depends on your training age and level of play.

training age?
    what level do you play at?
    weekly training schedule?

DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Elite athletes doing 12000m of tempo per week, this depends on your training age and level of play.

training age?
    what level do you play at?
    weekly training schedule?
    I'm 17 going on 18, been playing seriously for only about a year. I'm playing at state level. Soccer training is saturday and sunday (its off season now). So my plan is to do pylo speed strength on monday wednesday and friday and tempo on tuesday and thursday.

Pylo and speed done in AM then strength done in PM.

If possible do prescribe me something higher than my current level, as I will be going to national level in 6-7 months time.

I'm 17 going on 18, been playing seriously for only about a year. I'm playing at state level. Soccer training is saturday and sunday (its off season now). So my plan is to do pylo speed strength on monday wednesday and friday and tempo on tuesday and thursday.

Pylo and speed done in AM then strength done in PM.

If possible do prescribe me something higher than my current level, as I will be going to national level in 6-7 months time.
    100, 100, 100, 100, 150, 150, 150, 150, 200, 200, 150, 150, 100, 50m, 50m, 50m, 50m.

all in meters at 75% speed.

100, 100, 100, 100, 150, 150, 150, 150, 200, 200, 150, 150, 100, 50m, 50m, 50m, 50m.

Thank you. What about rest intervals? How long should it be initially? If I'm not mistaken I'm supposed to lower the rest intervals until a certain point?

Sorry for so many questions

Thank you. What about rest intervals? How long should it be initially? If I'm not mistaken I'm supposed to lower the rest intervals until a certain point?

Sorry for so many questions

2 minutes rest.

ASU21AT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Could I use this for basketball. I'd take do plyos and lift legs, take a day off, do this, take a day off, plyos/legs, day off, this....Or would you consider that overtraining? If there's no basketball in the picture other than skill work. Thanks in advance

Farzamk, I have a question for you that I hope you can help me out with. The answer will probably be a little bit long so any help is appreciated.

Today I did the tempo running that you gave me, and I don't really feel 'worked'. Compared to intervals, I just didn't feel tired. Sure I felt a little out of breath at the end of each run but after 30-40 seconds or so I would be fine.

Yes I know being tired is not an indicator of an effective workout. What I would like to know is, how do tempo runs work? How exactly do they help in me being a soccer player perform better on the field. I know the answer probably has some science involved so I would hope you can shed light on this.

I know how this tempo runs work for sprinters. I'm not skeptical, far from it, I just want to know how exactly it works. I always thought that to improve vo2max and recovery, one needs to constantly run at a very challenging pace (Hence interval training, I hope my last statement made sense). I just want to know how exactly tempo runs work.

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by ASU21AT View Post
    Could I use this for basketball. I'd take do plyos and lift legs, take a day off, do this, take a day off, plyos/legs, day off, this....Or would you consider that overtraining? If there's no basketball in the picture other than skill work. Thanks in advance
    too high volume for basketball.

50, 100, 150, 100, 50, 50, 100, 50, 50 is more ideal for ball players.

Farzamk, I have a question for you that I hope you can help me out with. The answer will probably be a little bit long so any help is appreciated.

Today I did the tempo running that you gave me, and I don't really feel 'worked'. Compared to intervals, I just didn't feel tired. Sure I felt a little out of breath at the end of each run but after 30-40 seconds or so I would be fine.

Yes I know being tired is not an indicator of an effective workout. What I would like to know is, how do tempo runs work? How exactly do they help in me being a soccer player perform better on the field. I know the answer probably has some science involved so I would hope you can shed light on this.

I know how this tempo runs work for sprinters. I'm not skeptical, far from it, I just want to know how exactly it works. I always thought that to improve vo2max and recovery, one needs to constantly run at a very challenging pace (Hence interval training, I hope my last statement made sense). I just want to know how exactly tempo runs work.

Thanks in advance
    You dont need to be producing lactic acid to be having a succesful workout.

Clearly you're in too great shape for this, add in 4x300m to that session in the middle of all the runs, see how you feel with that added. If still not fatigued, 5x200m more.

You dont need to be producing lactic acid to be having a succesful workout.

Clearly you're in too great shape for this, add in 4x300m to that session in the middle of all the runs, see how you feel with that added. If still not fatigued, 5x200m more.
    Alright I'll add that in and let you know how it works out.

I'm in too great shape? Hmm, I just recovered from an ankle injury where I was pretty much inactive (because exams were around the corner as well) for 5-6 weeks or so.

Just last friday I decided to see where I stood and I ran a mile in 8 minutes Still think I'm in too great shape? :P

Once again, thank you so much

Bump for you Farzamk

Alright I'll add that in and let you know how it works out.

I'm in too great shape? Hmm, I just recovered from an ankle injury where I was pretty much inactive (because exams were around the corner as well) for 5-6 weeks or so.

Just last friday I decided to see where I stood and I ran a mile in 8 minutes Still think I'm in too great shape? :P

Once again, thank you so much
    In shape has different meanings, in this case, you seem to naturally have a high workout capacity. Stick with the lower speeds for now, now what you want to do is go back to the original workout after you try the higher volume one I gave you, then do it all intensive. 80-90% speed, I gaurantee that will be incredibly difficult to finish still at 80-90% speed while maintaing proper sprint form.

ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    too high volume for basketball.

50, 100, 150, 100, 50, 50, 100, 50, 50 is more ideal for ball players.
    Football players should run the same ideal volume as ball players or more of the soccer volume you recommended?

For me, my HIIT is similar to your program, except in the HIIT I run for a 20 second period time, and give a 10 second rest, with yours, it's running a certain distance with a 2 minute rest. So is it the amount of rest that causes the injuries? Can your program burn more fat than the HIIT?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've been working hard so I need the answers so I work smarter.

Originally Posted by ewong11692 View Post
    Football players should run the same ideal volume as ball players or more of the soccer volume you recommended?

For me, my HIIT is similar to your program, except in the HIIT I run for a 20 second period time, and give a 10 second rest, with yours, it's running a certain distance with a 2 minute rest. So is it the amount of rest that causes the injuries? Can your program burn more fat than the HIIT?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've been working hard so I need the answers so I work smarter.
    Football players depending on position can run as much, depends on time of year.

HIIT slows you down over time if going at max effort, do regular sprints instead.

HIIT has a post workout fat burning effect, hard to tell exactly, depends on person the most.

Injuries can be caused by a variety of things, not too common though...

In shape has different meanings, in this case, you seem to naturally have a high workout capacity. Stick with the lower speeds for now, now what you want to do is go back to the original workout after you try the higher volume one I gave you, then do it all intensive. 80-90% speed, I gaurantee that will be incredibly difficult to finish still at 80-90% speed while maintaing proper sprint form.
    Correct me if I'm wrong. Charlie Francis said that either you do above 90% (speed work) or below 75% (for aerobic conditioning) and nothing in between. He calls the 75-90% the "chicken soup category".

So why did you suggest 80-90% speed tempo runs for aerobic conditioning? Or did I miss something.

Not trying to insult you, I'm just trying to get things right.

Also just to clarify something, this is what I read from the CF forums. Doing tempo runs is not like distance or interval runnings, in interval runs you reap the benefits directly fro those runs. Tempo runs however is a 'recovery' from the speed work that you do, and this will in turn increase your aerobic conditioning.

Is that right?
    Last edited by DesVaro; 01-24-2008 at 07:21 AM.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Charlie Francis said that either you do above 90% (speed work) or below 75% (for aerobic conditioning) and nothing in between. He calls the 75-90% the "chicken soup category".

So why did you suggest 80-90% speed tempo runs for aerobic conditioning? Or did I miss something.

Not trying to insult you, I'm just trying to get things right.

Also just to clarify something, this is what I read from the CF forums. Doing tempo runs is not like distance or interval runnings, in interval runs you reap the benefits directly fro those runs. Tempo runs however is a 'recovery' from the speed work that you do, and this will in turn increase your aerobic conditioning.

Is that right?

This is for a sprinter, sports athletes can and should train differently.

Linford christie and asafa powell use/used intensive in their training for small purposes, the thing is for a sprinter I'd use very little intensive, for a soccer player you are required to run at those speeds and not fatigue as much while under those speeds. Also the goal is to develop RSA, anaerobic conditioning is required as well to develop one's RSA. Put a 800m runner into a soccer game who does all intensive tempo (80-90%) and you will see how well his RSA is as compared to other soccer guys. Just dont do it back to back with speed days.

ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ewong11692 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    [QUOTE=farzamk;120768311]Football players depending on position can run as much, depends on time of year.

How much would you recommend for a receiver and the rest intervals?

samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    excellent thread farzamk. As a long time soccer coach, I have watched the evolution of soccer training in the US from playing in the 60's and 70's, and coaching/playing in the 80's thru now.
    In the good ole' days, it was laps - laps - laps to get conditioning up. Now I am see HIIT programs and versions of the RSA program you described.
    I first started learning about RSA about 8 years ago, but many in the are were still seeing as HIIT. As the soccer community gets more informed this trickles down to the players.
    I still play at my age in the open division, so I'm still playing against some 18 yr olds and mostly players in their 20's. I use a type of RSA to keep my fitness up.
    Thanks for the info.
    MILITARY RETIRED

NYY, NYG, NYR hometown fan - no matter where I move.

[QUOTE=ewong11692;121089611]
    Football players depending on position can run as much, depends on time of year.

How much would you recommend for a receiver and the rest intervals?
    You wanna be fast, therefore the tempo serves as a form of recovery for your speed work. 75% speed, 1500m total to start off first session, do a 3x200m/4x100m/4x50m/1x300m in that order. You wanna be fresh just like you started after you finish.

Originally Posted by samori View Post
    excellent thread farzamk. As a long time soccer coach, I have watched the evolution of soccer training in the US from playing in the 60's and 70's, and coaching/playing in the 80's thru now.
    In the good ole' days, it was laps - laps - laps to get conditioning up. Now I am see HIIT programs and versions of the RSA program you described.
    I first started learning about RSA about 8 years ago, but many in the are were still seeing as HIIT. As the soccer community gets more informed this trickles down to the players.
    I still play at my age in the open division, so I'm still playing against some 18 yr olds and mostly players in their 20's. I use a type of RSA to keep my fitness up.
    Thanks for the info.
    No problem, and good luck in your coaching and playing career.