DannyPesek is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Can I do strenght training in the morning on empty stomach?

Hey everyone,

Is it okay to do weight training mixed with some cardio first thing in the morning on empty stomach? I want to lose weight and build muscle (the traditional stuff) but that's not why I have chosen to work out in the morning - its more because I am lazy more into the day so I want to get the workout done as early as possible but don't want to risk catalysis and lose muscle because of it as well is slow down fat burning rate during the day. What would you recommend to me to do if I want to get my weight and cardio training done first thing in the morning? What should I eat beforehand so as to avoid said problems?

jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If I train early in the morning, I like to make sure I have a good amount of carbs late in the day the night before.

Before a morning workout, I would have a banana at most and then intra workout carbs during (Gatorade).

What you eat before training in the morning is personal preference, but I don't want to be digesting stuff as I train

DannyPesek is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jk202 View Post
    If I train early in the morning, I like to make sure I have a good amount of carbs late in the day the night before.

Before a morning workout, I would have a banana at most and then intra workout carbs during (Gatorade).

What you eat before training in the morning is personal preference, but I don't want to be digesting stuff as I train
    Great! Thanks for the reply - so what do you personally recommend to eat beforehand that is not too digestive?

CBRIT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) CBRIT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) CBRIT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) CBRIT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) CBRIT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) CBRIT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) CBRIT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) CBRIT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) CBRIT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) CBRIT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) CBRIT89 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I workout 3x a week before I then cycle to work - generally I'm up for 2.5-3 hours before breakfast.

I'll just have a protein shake about 10 minutes after I get up, and it sees me through until I can eat properly at 8.30/9am.
    A.L.L. Leukemia 2009 - 2012
    Brain haemorrhage 2009
    Hip replacements 2010 & 2011
    Eating Disorder 2016 - 2022
    Collapsed Talus 2020 - (Surgery August '22)

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's perfectly alright to if it works for you...personally, if I try any kind of heavy lifting in the morning, on an empty stomach, I feel like I'm going to pass out five sets in. I like to have a carb-heavy dinner (usually rice and potatoes are a big part of it) and then a plain bagel for breakfast
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If it gets you to the gym, then just about anything is fine while cutting. I can't say the same for bulking as I am far from an expert on that subject. I would say that your energy could be low if you don't eat anything. This could result is missing reps, struggling with cardio, etc. but will not any catalysis or reduce fat burning that you worry about. So I would say to have at least something. Even a single hard boiled egg, or a small amount of yogurt, or a piece of toast, or a little fruit would be enough. It doesn't have to be a lot. If you like protein shakes, that wouldn't be a bad choice either since you are looking for a speedy snack (but fruit is speedy too).
    Was 280+ at the beginning of 2019 (highest recorded weight is 290 on Dec 13, 2018).

Jan 01, 2020...202.0
    Jan 08, 2020...goal is 200.5

BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Probably sub-optimal to train fasted based on current research. I'd suggest at least consuming some protein before your workout, ~0.4g/kg(20-40grams).
    Carbs aren't really necessary as protein already stimulates the release of sufficient amounts of insulin to maximally decrease protein breakdown, although it certainly wouldn't hurt. You can experiment and see what "feels" best in terms of amounts, 10g being a good starting point for carbs.
    Last edited by BradPlitt; 11-30-2019 at 04:27 AM.

bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I workout ever morning and have a small protein shake and some caffeine about 20 minutes before starting. Its really a personal preference. I know some who train fasted and have no issue.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BradPlitt View Post
    Probably sub-optimal to train fasted based on current research. I'd suggest at least consuming some protein before your workout, ~0.4g/kg(20-40grams).
    Carbs aren't really necessary as protein already stimulates the release of sufficient amounts of insulin to maximally decrease protein breakdown, although it certainly wouldn't hurt. You can experiment and see what "feels" best in terms of amounts, 10g being a good starting point for carbs.
    Why would I be worried about protein breakdown during an exercise bout?
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Do you have a source for this? Specifically the sub-optimal training while fasted?
    www.grazethesky.com

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by krete77 View Post
    Do you have a source for this? Specifically the sub-optimal training while fasted?
    Some studies have shown that it is possible that training fasted may cause sub-optimal performance due to small 'top up' of carbohydrate consumption by eating something before working out therefore greater volume output. Not sure what post #7 is on about being the need for protein and not carbs, as for performance carbs seem to be the driver to greater performance due to muscle glycogen.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...se_Performance

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...99900718309535

That said as stated above if you have consumed a large enough meal before bed you are likely to have near peak glycogen muscle storage, although the first study I linked did propose that even a small rise of glycogen storage after night fasting may produce a small amount of better performance.

Although it is very individualized and I have seen studies show no difference as well so try what is best for you OP and see how you work, if you feel like you are performing at a sub-par level then food consumption before resistance training may help especially contain a solid level of carbs.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/110/3/628/5527779

AustinBrusoFit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AustinBrusoFit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AustinBrusoFit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AustinBrusoFit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AustinBrusoFit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AustinBrusoFit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AustinBrusoFit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AustinBrusoFit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AustinBrusoFit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AustinBrusoFit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AustinBrusoFit has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Cool **5AM Fasted Training Crew Checking In**

Throughout the entirety of my transformation and still currently, I've trained fasted first thing in the morning. Training first thing is a great way to ensure that laziness and excuse making doesn't become as much of a problem as it will later in the day and it's an great way to start off the day; even though it may not be "optimal." If you must - slam down some sort of fast digesting carbohydrate based food or supplement immediately upon waking to give it time to digest before you get to the gym. It won't make much of a difference.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by AustinBrusoFit; 12-01-2019 at 04:55 PM.

rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Don't fall into the trap of believing that there is some "optimal" daily routine. If you do things the same way every day, then your body will get efficient at doing things that way and you'll lose the ability to perform under a different set of circumstances. This study that hardyboysare posted shows this clearly:

Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    The study took guys who always eat breakfast and suddenly took breakfast away from them. As we'd all expect, their bodies were not prepared for that situation so they lost strength. A lot of folks around here might look at this study and say "see! you should eat breakfast before a morning workout in order to maximize strength." But I assert that this one fasted workout was immeasurably better for them than any breakfast-loaded workout possibly could be. Because novel stimulus is what gets the body to adapt.

Originally Posted by DannyPesek View Post
    What would you recommend to me to do if I want to get my weight and cardio training done first thing in the morning? What should I eat beforehand so as to avoid said problems?
    I recommend that you sometimes train fed and sometimes train fasted. Mix it up as necessary to achieve your desired goals. If trying to lose fat, then lean towards training fasted more often. If trying to build muscle, then lean towards training fed more often. But don't let either become the only thing that you do, unless that is the adaptation that you want.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rtpmarine View Post
    Don't fall into the trap of believing that there is some "optimal" daily routine. If you do things the same way every day, then your body will get efficient at doing things that way and you'll lose the ability to perform under a different set of circumstances. This study that hardyboysare posted shows this clearly:

The study took guys who always eat breakfast and suddenly took breakfast away from them. As we'd all expect, their bodies were not prepared for that situation so they lost strength. A lot of folks around here might look at this study and say "see! you should eat breakfast before a morning workout in order to maximize strength." But I assert that this one fasted workout was immeasurably better for them than any breakfast-loaded workout possibly could be. Because novel stimulus is what gets the body to adapt.

I recommend that you sometimes train fed and sometimes train fasted. Mix it up as necessary to achieve your desired goals. If trying to lose fat, then lean towards training fasted more often. If trying to build muscle, then lean towards training fed more often. But don't let either become the only thing that you do, unless that is the adaptation that you want.
    This is complete and utter nonsense.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rtpmarine View Post

Lol..

BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BradPlitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by krete77 View Post
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16631431
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...40244001800529
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...40244018303438 Not statistically significant, but if you look at the data there is a trend for better progress in the intervention groups.
    https://link.springer.com/article/10...726-009-0283-2

krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks!
    www.grazethesky.com