Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: JohnButz 2020+

JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

JohnButz 2020+

What a year this has been (and we still have two more months to go.)

I think I can speak for many when I say that, I'm not sure if there is a particular word, or phrase in the English language that depicts properly, but if I had to describe the last eight months, I guess I would say they have been disorderly at best. Disarray, tangled, maybe chaotic.

I am one of the fortunate, that was able to continue working, doing business, and for that I am grateful.

My business, a pizzeria, actually became busier, with all the regulations on the larger, sit-down-type establishments being closed or limited.

My schedule, which was already quite hectic, became even more hectic. I could write an entire book about the experience, and how contrary it was from "business as usual," but I won't bore with those details.

Let's just say I never know what to expect day to day, and in my 20+ years of this business, I have never seen anything like it. After all this time, you sort of notice patterns that repeat again, and again, but that seems to be out the window now, as each day was/is met with a sort of multi-pronged anxiety.

I love training. It is my meditation. Unfortunately, with everything going on, I could not seem to workout neither consistently, nor with the focus that I would like to. This had a real impact on me.

Recently, on my one of my many runs for errands for the restaurant, (we often will not be able to get certain products/ingredients etc, so I have to seek out alternatives) I had the epiphany that I am going to stop being in reaction mode to the chaos, and instead "roll" with it, and simply adapt. Somehow. Someway.

With two months left in the year, I decided to revisit two training approaches that I enjoyed in the past that not only work with my current rigid schedule, but could even deliver in terms of results (along with a nutritional experiment that I have been following for the past couple months that has been a very interesting positive. Actually, mind blowing. I'll lay that out in a forthcoming post.)

Below is my starting point.

Workout Log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=179207031

JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Training:

Warm-up of Dumbbell Swings 15x15,15

Squats 45x10 125x5,5
    Trap Bar Deadlifts 150x5,5
    Chin-ups BW+28.5x5,5
    Dips BW+65x5,5
    Incline Rows 55x5
    OHP 72x5
    Loaded Carry w/Trap Bar 140x 120 ft.

Then,

Ring Pull-ups BWx6,5=11
    Reverse Lunges BWx11
    Ring Dips BWx6,5=11

As I mentioned in my intro, I decided to combine two training approaches that I have used with success in the past, that are loosely based upon Pavel's 40 Day Workout, and Waterbury's HFT. For both of these high frequency methodologies, to start, I dialed back the intensity substantially, literally using weights that I could perform if I had to do them waking up from a dead sleep.

For the first section, I picked a squat, a hinge, a vertical pull, a downward push, a horizontal pull, an upward push, and a loaded carry. Like I mentioned, the load to start with is easy, very easy, and My idea is to do these movements anywhere from five to seven times per week, never struggling, and always working well within my capabilities, but with the idea of adding load as often as possible, instinctively.

Most days I will be doing two sets of five. Some days I'll be doing three sets of three, some days will be five to ten singles, some days will be an easy set of ten, just as a refresher day.

The second portion will be an ultra-high frequency approach, where I will be adding one rep per day, on just three movements (or a slight variation of.) I will start at eleven total reps, breaking the reps down, not coming anywhere close to failure, but slowly, and steadily adding volume as the days go on. The movements will generally be, Ring Pull-ups, Reverse Lunges, And Ring Dips.
    Workout Log:

Training:
    Dumbbell Swings 15x15,15
    Squat: 45x10, 130x3,3,3
    Deads 155x3,3,3
    Chin-ups BW+30x3,3,3
    Dips BW+70x3,3,3
    Incline Row 60x5
    OHP 76x5
    Farmers Walks 145x 120 FT.

On to the ultra frequent work:
    Ring Pull-ups BWx6,6=12
    Reverse Lunges BWx12
    Ring Dips BWx6,6

For the main lifts, other than the Incline Rows & OHP, I decided on three sets of three, slightly pushing the weight up. My choice of rep range is subjectively based upon the day, and factors, such as energy level, how the warm-up weights are feeling, sleep, recovery, etc.

My scale weight this morning was 142.5.

Now to discuss the nutritional experiment, I've been a high fat, moderate protein, low carb guy for much of the past 10-12 years, along with being a loose practitioner of intermittent fasting, but a little over two months ago, I decided to test out an idea.

I resolved to upside down my approach. Instead of the high fat approach that I have been doing (up to 50% of my diet,) I pushed my carbs up to extreme levels:

Carbohydrates: 70% (approx)
    Protein: 20% (approx)
    Fat: 10% (approx, and usually even lower, maybe down to 8%)

The results:

I went from 152-142.5, energy is off the charts, even though My training wasn't particularly consistent, I did train with weights, but didn't have much direction due to a crazy work schedule. I think I kept most, if not all of my base muscle, and got to a very lean conditioning.

Originally, I employed a "cheat" day once per week, where I would have a pizza and not really track any calories or macros, but I actually was seeing the scale drop so much that now I am doing two "cheat" days each week.

It does take a bit to get used to. I am eating ample servings of bagels, fruits, fat-free sauces, tuna, potatoes, oats, etc, but honestly this may be the easiest diet approach I have ever tried.
    Workout Log:

Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Subbed. You from my home state so I can’t not follow!!!

Glad your business is staying busy.
    My “training log”
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178659261

Here to stay motivated and to motivate others

Originally Posted by Raigs View Post
    Subbed. You from my home state so I can’t not follow!!!

Glad your business is staying busy.
    Thank You Brother! Much appreciated.
    Workout Log:

Training:

Dumbbell Swings 15x15,15

Squat 133x5,5
    Deads 160x5,5
    Chin-ups BW+30x5,5
    Dips BW+72x5,5
    Incline Row 65x5
    OHP 80x5
    Farmers Walk 150x120FT

Ring Pull-ups BWx5,5,3=13
    Reverse Lunges BWx5,5,3=13
    Ring Dips BWx5,5,3=13

Sleep was not good last night, but I felt good enough to go. I'm due for a refresher day, but energy dictates the in real time with this programming. The loads all felt very easy. Scale weight was 142.5. The ultra frequency stuff (ring work & reverse lunges) are just a walk in the park still, but the volume will increase rapidly adding a rep to each everyday.
    Workout Log:

Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice session lots of good work. Ring pull ups are tough ones. That’s good you picked them instead of regular ones.
    My “training log”

Nice session lots of good work. Ring pull ups are tough ones. That’s good you picked them instead of regular ones.
    Thanks man! The ring work is going to get challenging as I go. I'm away from home for much of the day, so I might have to hybrid the ultra-frequency a bit. I was thinking of maybe doing what I can while home with the ring dips, and then possibly push-ups if necessary at work. The reverse lunges won't be an issue, but I might have to get a portable pull-up bar (door frame.) Thanks for checking in!
    Workout Log:

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nice to see your journal back! This year has been cray but I like your optimism.

Happy Friday!

Originally Posted by JohnButz View Post
    Thanks man! The ring work is going to get challenging as I go. I'm away from home for much of the day, so I might have to hybrid the ultra-frequency a bit. I was thinking of maybe doing what I can while home with the ring dips, and then possibly push-ups if necessary at work. The reverse lunges won't be an issue, but I might have to get a portable pull-up bar (door frame.) Thanks for checking in!
    Idk if you have any doors that have a wider frame. You can test fingertip pull-ups. Usually fire doors work
    My “training log”

Originally Posted by whatevergirl View Post
    Nice to see your journal back! This year has been cray but I like your optimism.

Happy Friday!
    Thanks Sharon! Great to have you here. Crazy year for sure. I was thinking earlier, I feel like I could say "fire is hot", yet people (mostly in the news media) would argue with me, tell me I'm dead wrong, and that fire is now cold. "Just accept it John."

By the way, I did a decent amount of sprints over the summer, a handful of 2 milers, but this past Saturday, I tested a 2 miler after no running for a couple weeks, and clocked in at 15:13. I'll take it.

What has your training been like in recent times? Thanks for stopping in!

Idk if you have any doors that have a wider frame. You can test fingertip pull-ups. Usually fire doors work
    My restaurant is a very old building with various styles of door frames. Years ago, a guy that worked for me brought a pull-up bar apparatus in and it fit the kitchen door frame. I'm probably going to grab one on Amazon. Thanks!
    Workout Log:

Training:

Dumbbell Swings 15x15,15

Ultra-Frequency Work:
    Reverse Lunges BWx5,5,4=14
    Ring Dips BWx5,5,4=14
    Ring Pull-Ups BWx5,5,4=14

Squat 135x5,5
    Deads 165x5,5
    Chin-ups BW+31x5,5
    Dips BW+75x5,5
    Incline Row 70x5
    OHP 81x5
    Farmers Walks 155x120FT

The past 4 days have been virtually identical in terms of nutrition:

Calories 2467
    Carbs 324g
    Fat 17g
    Protein 110g

This works out to be 69% carbs, 8% fat, 23% protein. Breakfast is one cup of plain oatmeal. Lunch is 2 packs of sweet/spicy tuna, 4 slices of wheat bread, spicy mustard, a blueberry bagel, dinner 1, is 2 oranges, and 2 fat free yogurts, dinner 2 is a bed of lettuce, 12 ounces of baked french fries topped with a hot/bbq sauce, fat free ranch, and 2 glasses of Merlot. This is everyday, Monday through Friday. Saturday & Sunday I'm flexible.
    Workout Log:

Training:

D. Swings 15x15,15

Ring Pull-ups BWx5,5,5=15
    Reverse Lunges BWx5,5,5=15
    Ring Dips BWx5,5,5=15

Just the ultra frequency work today, adding one single rep of volume. I was real short on time, and this session lasted less than ten minutes. Tomorrow will most likely be a return to two sets of five, and depending upon energy, I'll probably push the loads up slightly.

Scale weight was 142 this morning, I think if I can find the time for just 2-3 road work sessions per week, I can achieve my best condition in years. Watching this process, as the scale dipped into the low 140's, I started to see definition that I haven't since probably 2012 or so.

I'm just about five months until I turn 50, and probably won't be able to realize the same levels of strength that I had in my 30's, but hopefully I can get close.
    Workout Log:

Training:

D. Swings 15x15,15
    Reverse Lunges BWx4,4,4,4=16
    Ring Pull-ups BWx4,4,4,4=16
    Ring Dips BWx4,4,4,4=16

Squat 138x5,5
    Deads 170x5,5
    Chin-ups BW+33x5,5
    Dips BW+76x5,5
    Incline Row 79x5
    OHP 82x5
    Farmers Walks 160x 120FT.

I ripped right through this session without much strain at all. Doing these movements with virtual daily frequency, is seeming to cause more of a "skill-building" result. I'm still not using very heavy weights at all, but I think starting as I did with the easy loads was a good idea.

Today, I had a free diet day, and will probably do the same tomorrow. After the five days of high carb/lower protein/minuscule fat, the scale read 141 this morning.
    Workout Log:

Training:

D. Swings 15x15,15
    Reverse Lunges 5,5,5,2=17
    Ring Pull-ups BWx 5,5,5,2=17
    Ring Dips BWx5,5,5,2=17

Squats 143x5,5
    Deads 175x5,5
    Chin-ups BW+35x5,5
    Dips BW+77.5x5,5
    Incline Row 84x5
    OHP 86x5
    Farmers Walk 165x120FT.

Good, quick session. I'm doing another free diet day, which usually consists of two big meals. Scale weight this morning was 143. An interesting side item, I have virtually no urges for sweets. I can't tell you the last time I had a cookie, ice cream, cake etc. I think the massive amount of fruit I have been eating, with the natural sugars contained within, probably has something to do with it. Previously, when I would partake in a "cheat day," I would often have a pint of ice cream or something. Just have no interest anymore.
    Workout Log:

Workout Log:

Nice sessions in here. You can definitely get back to your 30s strength. Might just need to be a little Smarter about how to get there.

I was thinking the same thing about sweets the other day. I haven’t had a urge for anything because I crush a ton of fruit especially pineapples.
    My “training log”

Nice sessions in here. You can definitely get back to your 30s strength. Might just need to be a little Smarter about how to get there.

I was thinking the same thing about sweets the other day. I haven’t had a urge for anything because I crush a ton of fruit especially pineapples.
    Thanks Brother! I am doing a ton of oranges at the moment. I do like them, but I'm thinking with the state of things, I am erring on the side of infusing as much vitamin C as I can.

In playing around with this diet protocol the past few months, I'm now convinced it is going to be my go to. I had two days of pizza, etc, and this morning I was actually down 1/2 pound. Thanks for stopping in!
    Workout Log:

Training:

D. Swings 15x15,15
    Reverse Lunges BWx6,6,6=18
    Ring Pull-ups BWx6,6,6=18
    Ring Dips BWx6,6,6=18

Squats 144x5,5
    Deads 177x5,5
    Chin-ups BW+36x5,5
    Dips BW+80x5,5
    Incline Row 85x5
    OHP 88x5
    Farmers Walks 166x120FT.

Scale weight was 142.5, this after a couple of free diet days. I had pizza for dinner both nights. I'm not exactly sure how the science works, but it appears that, at least for me and my situation, when I keep dietary fat extremely low for five days, I can get away with two days of higher calorie/higher fat content foods. This is also with very little cardio training. I last did a 2 mile run on 10/31, and that has been the extent of cardio recently. I'm hoping that my schedule allows me to include some running soon.
    Workout Log:

Training:

D. Swings 15x15,15
    Reverse Lunges BWx19
    Ring Pull-ups BWx5,5,5,4=19
    Ring Dips BWx10,9=19

Maniacal schedule for this day, so I just performed the high frequency work. Energy was fine, I certainly could of did the strength stuff if I had to, but I'm thinking the "rest" will help as the week progresses.

Scale weight was up a pound at 143.5. My unscientific theory behind this uptick my be that after two days of "normal" eating, then a huge increase in carbohydrates may, cause a glycogen storing. Not sure if this is true, but just my own theory. Typically, I see a downtick in the following day or two.
    Last edited by JohnButz; 11-11-2020 at 05:40 AM.
    Workout Log:

Training:
    D. Swings 15x15,15
    Reverse Lunges BWx5,5,5,5=20
    Ring Pull-ups BWx5,5,5,5=20
    Ring Dips BWx10,10=20

Squats 145x5,5
    Deads 179x5,5
    Chin-ups BW+37.5x5,5
    Dips BW+83x5,5
    Incline Row 85.5x5
    OHP 89x5
    Farmers Walks 170x120FT.

Scale weight was 142. Slowly inching the loads upward. Making these keys lifts a virtual daily act, is resulting in them becoming more of a skill, or practice. Still not much strain at all in any of the lifts. Squats in particular are very smooth.
    Workout Log:

Nice sessions hitting all the muscle groups. Does your cheat days make you feel better
    My “training log”

Nice sessions hitting all the muscle groups. Does your cheat days make you feel better
    Thanks Brother! Yeah, I think the pizza days serve a purpose in many ways. I've stayed relatively lean for years, but the reward of eating some junk food helps me mentally, and also I believe it kind of establishes a "reset."

Initially, when I started this diet approach, I only did one cheat every week or so, but the weight drop was a little to rapid, so now I normally do the two days per week, often back to back.
    Workout Log:

Training:

D. Swings 15x15,15
    Reverse Lunges 7,7,7=21
    Ring Pull-ups 3,3,3,3,3,3,3=21
    Ring Dips 7,7,7=21

Squats 146x5,5
    Deads 180x5,5
    Chin-ups BW+37.75x 5,5
    Dips BW+85x5,5
    Incline Row 86x5
    OHP 90x5
    Farmers Walk 170x120FT

Good session. Interesting how each movement is unique day to day, where sometimes the individual exercise will feel smooth/light, sometimes a little more challenging.

For the ultra frequent movements, I make the exception to stay literally at least 5-7 reps away from any strain at all. Scale weight was again 142. This is probably about as low as I'll see the scale go. I'm seeing increasing definition---most likely won't see any appreciable mass gains short term, but once the frequency movements get into high volume, there may be some then.
    Workout Log:

Training:

D. Swings 15x15,15
    Reverse Lunges BWx5,5,5,7=22
    Ring Pull-ups BWx 5,5,5,7=22
    Ring Dips BWx11,11=22

Body weight holding steady at 142. I had a crazy agenda, so I just did the frequency work. This session lasted less than 10 minutes.
    Workout Log:

Nice numbers put up on dead’s and the dedication to get a quick workout in is great.

What are your target goals for your bigger lifts? And do you have a timeframe on it yet?
    My “training log”

Nice numbers put up on dead’s and the dedication to get a quick workout in is great.

What are your target goals for your bigger lifts? And do you have a timeframe on it yet?
    Thanks Raigs! For the big lifts, I'd like to just keep systematically adding load, very slowly. In fact, I was thinking yesterday that it might be advantageous/wise to slow down the incremental increases that I have been doing. I have micro plates all the way down to .25#

I have been studying Kaizen for some time, and am trying to implement the practices into my training (and actually other life areas.)

If I can get close to, or possibly beyond some of my PR's in the big lifts, I'll be happy. It's going to take some time I'm thinking.

Squats, I never hit much more than #225-230, but always spot on form/depth.---at least in recent years.
    Deads, I remember pulling #350, but my form was a nightmare, rounded back, felt a little pop. Not good.
    Chins, I've chinned BW+100 for a single, 90 for a double, or triple.
    Dips BW+160 for a single. This was a one time, never even tried it again since.
    OHP, never much more than the low 100's, maybe #125. This is by far my worst lift.
    Workout Log:

Training:

D. Swings 15x15,15
    Reverse Lunges 4,4,4,4,4,3=23
    Ring Pull-ups 4,4,4,4,4,3=23
    Ring Dips 5,5,5,5,3=23

Squats 147.5x 5,5
    Deads 184x5,5
    Chin-ups BW+40x5,5
    Dips BW+88x5,5
    Incline Row 86,5x5
    OHP 91x5
    Farmers Walks 179x120FT.

Inching the weights up slow. Looking back, when I started this template (using extremely doable loads,) all the movements have progressed nicely, and easily.

This was 11.02:

Squats 45x10 125x5,5
    Trap Bar Deadlifts 150x5,5
    Chin-ups BW+28.5x5,5
    Dips BW+65x5,5
    Incline Rows 55x5
    OHP 72x5
    Loaded Carry w/Trap Bar 140x 120 ft.

So, each movement has had a nice increase, but I'm thinking, it might be time to slow the progression down substantially. All these movements are still very doable, without too much exertion, but I'm thinking long game. Going forward, I'll most likely ramp down the increases to a lower level. I have micro plates, so an increase of .25# is possible.

Scale weight was down to 141. Tonight, will be the beginning of two consecutive "free" days of nutrition.
    Workout Log:

That’s great you are moving up in the weights no problem. These sessions look amazing so far keep it going!

The goal weights are solid with your program and dedication you got those’
    My “training log”

That’s great you are moving up in the weights no problem. These sessions look amazing so far keep it going!

The goal weights are solid with your program and dedication you got those’
    Thanks Brother! The interesting challenge now is determining when to just do the ultra frequency work, and skip the strength stuff. It usually works out organically, as some of my days are filled up beginning to end with work. Looking back, I usually include the strength stuff 5-6 times per week, but I could see dropping it down to 4 as the loads progress.
    Workout Log: