PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000)

Why not compete in Powerlifting if you’re are Over 35

I haven’t posted in a long time so excuse the long post, this has been on my mind for a while. I’m not the type of guy who tries to convince everyone to do what I do because everyone has their own perspective on fitness and participation. I didn’t play ANY sports of any kind growing up so I had no idea of camaraderie in sports. I started competing in Powerlifting to help a young friend legitimize and build a Powerlifting team, so I got kinda sucked into it. I started at 49 and am 51 now. I can’t imagine any of my friends my age wanting to get into the sport. The fellas ask questions and watch my meet videos and even ask lifting advice but no one really wants join in. I sometimes visit the Powerlifting/Strongman forum here but it seems like everyone is much younger. The sport is definalty growing very fast here in Northern California especially for women. Years ago you would never see so many women squatting and deadlifting at the gym. I think people young people are understanding that “strong is the new fit” - I guess. Last week on two separate occasions two of the moms at my kids school came up to me to tell me they are signed up for a Powerlifting meet, both are over 35. I know plenty of over 35 guys who run 5-10k full and half marathons. My wife thinks it’s because society judges men on their strength, whereas the women are not as conscientious about how much they lift. Running a marathon most everyone does so anonymously, no one is watching their minute mile. Most “complete” a marathon they don’t “compete” in one, only a very few expect to place. Doesn’t anyone want to compete in Powerlifting, even it it’s just one meet “just for fun”. To test ones self? Please let me know your thoughts Over 35 crew. I’m just making an observation, not trying to argue a point. I’m writing this after weigh-in where I’ve seen a bunch of over 35 here for the USPA Tested World Championships.

I know this is a long point and some people won’t read all the way through, so I will post this video from my last meet from July here. Masters Division 132lbs/60kg Deadlift 418.9lbs/190kg

Last edited by PhantomMaxx; 11-08-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    Elite Powerlifter Masters Divison 50-54
    USPA PR @123lb (pounds): SQ 303.1 - BP 248 - DL 391.3 Wilks 394.37
    USPA PR @132lb (pounds): SQ 341.7 - BP 248 - DL 430
    16 State / 15 American / 10 World Records / 2 ATWR / 3x Best Lifter Award
    IG: fit.wraith

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So to clarify; you want to know "Doesn’t anyone want to compete in Powerlifting, even it it’s just one meet “just for fun”. To test ones self? "?

My answer is there are lots of people, even on these forums, who do or have competed multiple times. As a matter of fact a group of us have been getting together yearly on the east coast (and 1 flew in from your state) to compete.

I agree; its a good way to make training "fun" with a goal to step on a platform. For myself it changed how I looked at my time spent in the gym. Good on you for competing and good luck with your next meet.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am with Jtbny. I started powerlifting at 50 to encourage and challenge some teens I was working with from the neighborhood. One of the things I like about the 100% RAW Federation, at least in our area, is the encouragement of both young and Master's lifters. I am the youngest member of my team, I will be 55 next month. I have seen men and women up to 85 setting all kinds of records. Go and have fun, you will surprise yourself and will make some great friends along the way.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I may be off here, but I think you both misinterpreted what he just wrote. I think he is saying, why not compete? Not don't compete.

PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    So to clarify; you want to know "Doesn’t anyone want to compete in Powerlifting, even it it’s just one meet “just for fun”. To test ones self? "?

My answer is there are lots of people, even on these forums, who do or have competed multiple times. As a matter of fact a group of us have been getting together yearly on the east coast (and 1 flew in from your state) to compete.

I agree; its a good way to make training "fun" with a goal to step on a platform. For myself it changed how I looked at my time spent in the gym. Good on you for competing and good luck with your next meet.
    Yes. Exactly what I was hoping for. I’ve been coming to this forum since I started learning and lifting, through my progression, and eventually competing. Unlike you I’ve never met anyone in person from the O35 forum, but it’s like I do know them and value their opinion. Powerlifting is fun and training for a goal or at least a date can keep one motivated. Thank you for your response.

I’ve done 9 meets in just under 3 years. Local meets are sometimes the best ones. Maybe because I hate going to Las Vegas. While training at my main gym I like helping the young guys and answering their questions. I’m glad most of them see me as approachable for form advice. I do encourage them to test themselves on the platform. I’ve made some good friends in this sport over those years.

Originally Posted by shaneinga View Post
    I may be off here, but I think you both misinterpreted what he just wrote. I think he is saying, why not compete? Not don't compete.
    . To be honest with you I did intentionally make the question ambiguous. So why won’t you compete? Or do you? If so what’s your overall experience to encourage or discourage others to step on the platform.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PhantomMaxx View Post
    I haven’t posted in a long time so excuse the long post, this has been on my mind for a while. I’m not the type of guy who tries to convince everyone to do what I do because everyone has their own perspective on fitness and participation. I didn’t play ANY sports of any kind growing up so I had no idea of camaraderie in sports. I started competing in Powerlifting to help a young friend legitimize and build a Powerlifting team, so I got kinda sucked into it. I started at 49 and am 51 now. I can’t imagine any of my friends my age wanting to get into the sport. The fellas ask questions and watch my meet videos and even ask lifting advice but no one really wants join in. I sometimes visit the Powerlifting/Strongman forum here but it seems like everyone is much younger. The sport is definalty growing very fast here in Northern California especially for women. Years ago you would never see so many women squatting and deadlifting at the gym. I think people young people are understanding that “strong is the new fit” - I guess. Last week on two separate occasions two of the moms at my kids school came up to me to tell me they are signed up for a Powerlifting meet, both are over 35. I know plenty of over 35 guys who run 5-10k full and half marathons. My wife thinks it’s because society judges men on their strength, whereas the women are not as conscientious about how much they lift. Running a marathon most everyone does so anonymously, no one is watching their minute mile. Most “complete” a marathon they don’t “compete” in one, only a very few expect to place. Doesn’t anyone want to compete in Powerlifting, even it it’s just one meet “just for fun”. To test ones self? Please let me know your thoughts Over 35 crew. I’m just making an observation, not trying to argue a point. I’m writing this after weigh-in where I’ve seen a bunch of over 35 here for the USPA Tested World Championships.

I know this is a long point and some people won’t read all the way through, so I will post this video from my last meet from July here. Masters Division 132lbs/60kg Deadlift 418.9lbs/190kg

I got into powerlifting in my early 40's. That eventually lead to me competing in strongman. I won "Utah's Strongest Man" masters division 4 years in a row. Oh and I totaled 1603 in my last full power meet. ( I'm 6'8" with really long arms, so my body really isn't made for powerlifting, IMHO ) But, that eventually lead to me needing my hip replacement, and then period of depression after. Now in the gym I train like a bodybuilder, and for sports I just hit my driver really far, or try to sometimes ( my joints thank me. I know some will say heavy lifting is good for your joints, I'm sure I thought it was when I was 45, but I know how my body felt/feels/etc... it's absolutely not good for my joints, at least not now that I'm "old". "Lifting" is great, "powerlifting" for me definitely not, wish it could be different. hmmm no maybe not anymore, I look better now, feel better now... but it was fun. )
    Last edited by bigtallox; 11-08-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    I got into powerlifting in my early 40's. That eventually lead to me competing in strongman. I won "Utah's Strongest Man" masters division 4 years in a row. Oh and I totaled 1603 in my last full power meet. ( I'm 6'8" with really long arms, so my body really isn't made for powerlifting, IMHO ) But, that eventually lead to me needing my hip replacement, and then period of depression after. Now in the gym I train like a bodybuilder, and for sports I just hit my driver really far, or try to sometimes ( my joints thank me. I know some will say heavy lifting is good for your joints, I'm sure I thought it was when I was 45, but I know how my body felt/feels/etc... it's absolutely not good for my joints, at least not now that I'm "old". "Lifting" is great, "powerlifting" for me definitely not, wish it could be different. hmmm no maybe not anymore, I look better now, feel better now... but it was fun. )
    I remember following a few of your Strongman threads years back. Very impressive work. I didn’t realize you had stopped. For once I’d have to agree that in your case your extreme height would pose a disadvantage for you in Powerlifting. I have a friend who said He couldn’t compete in Powerlifting because he was too long, he is 5,11”. There are plenty of 6 footers at the meets but no one as tall as you. Sorry about your injuries, wasn’t some of that from Strongman too?

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I compete with myself every session. I planned to do a PL comp a year or two ago, but it’s expensive. I can try to hit PRs in the gym without extra expense. I’d like it I think, but I have other hobbies outside of the gym so I try to just keep getting stronger in the gym about 5 hrs per week and allocate the rest of my “free time” to other things. Not saying I won’t ever compete but it’s not on my immediate bucket list.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    When under 35, many people feel like they need to prove themselves (for whatever reasons).

As we get older, some of us feel we need to test ourselves, push ourselves. But it's a smaller proportion!

I think that's one reason why powerlifting, strength competition and even training in general is less common as we get older.

strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000)
    Started competing at 50. Now 53. Last Friday competed in the Provincial Powerlifting Championships. In March will be competing in Nationals.

Preparing to step on a platform with fellow competitors all looking to hit personal bests is inspiring. Being watched and held accountable by three judges and making sure you follow commands adds another dimension to my mental game.
    CPU National Championship Bench March '17 - 130 kilos 286 lbs, M2-93 kilo class
    Raw Bench Bash August 17 - 135 kilos/297 lbs, M2-93 kilo class

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by PhantomMaxx View Post
    . To be honest with you I did intentionally make the question ambiguous. So why won’t you compete? Or do you? If so what’s your overall experience to encourage or discourage others to step on the platform.
    Got it. I don't compete for no other reason other than it doesn't line up with my personal goals.

Originally Posted by strongpath View Post
    Started competing at 50. Now 53. Last Friday competed in the Provincial Powerlifting Championships. In March will be competing in Nationals.

Preparing to step on a platform with fellow competitors all looking to hit personal bests is inspiring. Being watched and held accountable by three judges and making sure you follow commands adds another dimension to my mental game.
    Thats the spirit. How'd you do on your last meet? You are right about the mental game. I just got home from the IPL Tested Worlds, the previous record holder in my class was trying to get his Squat WR back so it was the competition that really push the numbers.

strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000)
    My worst performance in a competition to date. Only hit 6/9 lifts. Silver lining my deadlift is improving. Last attempt was 192.5/423 lbs - no problems. I still have a lot of capacity to improve that lift. I’m hiring a coach specifically to work on that. My 3-lift total was 485 kilos if I remember correctly.

The mental game for me was not bailing and going through with the competition and finding focus in spite of everything. I had been sick for almost 2 weeks and lost 10 pounds and couldn’t train. Then 4 days before the competition I was blindsided at work and told my position was eliminated “effective immediately.” Emptied my office and left. Don’t know what’s next for me. Finally, my 20-year marriage (together for 26) is also ending (I instigated). Perfect storm of life stressors.

Setbacks happen. Sometimes we have to start over, begin again.

I’m qualified for Nationals. I will come back stronger and I will be in a better place.
    CPU National Championship Bench March '17 - 130 kilos 286 lbs, M2-93 kilo class
    Raw Bench Bash August 17 - 135 kilos/297 lbs, M2-93 kilo class

drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've been weight lifting fairly seriously for about 5 years now. By 'fairly seriously', I mean that I try very hard to never miss a workout, and I eat the proper diet to gain muscle. I don't have any interest in getting on a stage to compete in either body building or power lifting. I just enjoy going to the gym and lifting weights. I like the way it makes me feel and look.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Congrats on the lifting. Competing can mean different things to different people. There is a great community of guys and gals that really support each other and they will cheer everyone on. Very supportive group as a whole. It is really the side of powerlifting that is awesome.

The flip side is there as hundredes of "federations" so 'World Records' are almost silly to even call them that. To me it is embarassing. I get it is a selling point that the fed can print off a "world record" and a guy can proudly print off a $.02 piece of paper and hang it on his wall.... I see guys break what would be "world records" in feds in my gym every day. Heck, many of my warm up sets would break "world records".

The competition at the end of the day is with yourself. I really saw zero interest in competing as I dont have a core group of freinds that do it. The gang at Iron Sanctuary would be the closest thing and I can never make the meet up north every year. That would be really cool to do BTW...good people there.

Whatever gets you excited I think it great, but it is the flip side of organized powerlifting and the business aspect of it that I dont care for. Pretty much you are buying a tropy just by showing up. If getting 1st in a meet makes you happy....well that is just because someone stronger than you did not show up that day. If getting a new PR does...than awesome.

I personally have given up training for strength. I got to a point where I know I was pushing limits of where bodies start breaking. I had to shelf my ego, and train for fun. I know I could still improve, but at what risk and what cost? So that is why 'competing' is not for me. But I think if it fits your goals...by all means.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    Congrats on the lifting. Competing can mean different things to different people. There is a great community of guys and gals that really support each other and they will cheer everyone on. Very supportive group as a whole. It is really the side of powerlifting that is awesome.

The flip side is there as hundredes of "federations" so 'World Records' are almost silly to even call them that. To me it is embarassing. I get it is a selling point that the fed can print off a "world record" and a guy can proudly print off a $.02 piece of paper and hang it on his wall.... I see guys break what would be "world records" in feds in my gym every day. Heck, many of my warm up sets would break "world records".

The competition at the end of the day is with yourself. I really saw zero interest in competing as I dont have a core group of freinds that do it. The gang at Iron Sanctuary would be the closest thing and I can never make the meet up north every year. That would be really cool to do BTW...good people there.

Whatever gets you excited I think it great, but it is the flip side of organized powerlifting and the business aspect of it that I dont care for. Pretty much you are buying a tropy just by showing up. If getting 1st in a meet makes you happy....well that is just because someone stronger than you did not show up that day. If getting a new PR does...than awesome.

I personally have given up training for strength. I got to a point where I know I was pushing limits of where bodies start breaking. I had to shelf my ego, and train for fun. I know I could still improve, but at what risk and what cost? So that is why 'competing' is not for me. But I think if it fits your goals...by all means.

Thanks for responding to this post, I've always appreciated your knowledge and candor on lifting. Competitive Powerlifting has help me put my gym efforts into perspective and I was able to help a few people as well. I've made some great friend out of this sport and that's the best part.

You are right about the various federations, there are tons of 'em. The two largest and arguably the strictest in the United States are the USAPL and the USPA. USAPL is the largest Drug-Tested federation and the USPA the largest Non-Tested federation. I picked the USPA only because they are based in California (where I live) so there are more available meets here to choose from. Both of these federations have their international affiliates the IPF and the IPL, they all maintain a database of all sanctioned meet lifts since their inception. In Powerlifting the term "World Record" should always have an asterisk next to it, in my opinion. I'm not delusional, I know I'm no Eddie Hall type of World Record holder. I am not the absolute strongest. The virtual asterisk next to my World Records would state my Federation, Weight, and Division. According to the IPL (USPA) for the weight class of 56kg and 60kg (I compete and have records in 2 weight classes), in Masters Division (40 and over, I'm 51) I have the highest recorded lifts ever. Every federation is going to claim they are more legitimate than the next, that is subjective. But the volume of competitors in a federation's database provide greater validation to said lift. The sport of powerlifting is all about classifications and divisions, just like wrestling, MMA, Weightlifting (Olympic), and Boxing. Hell, my record deadlift is a warmup for you ID! My 424lbs deadlift is decent for anyone over 50, but at 132lbs (3.2x bodyweight) it's a World Record*. If you have no trust in federation World Records there is also an organization called Powerlifting Watch that compare all the federation database and create an "All Time World Record" (ATWR) — I have 2 ATWR at 56kg. As mentioned above "Powerlifting has help me put my gym efforts into perspective". ID you could bench more then I could squat! I'm literally a little old man, the sport of powerlifting has validated and put thing in perspective form me. I have competed in OPEN (regardless of age) class in past Worlds Championships and have placed second both times to lifters literally half my age. On the O35 forum there is always talk about "diminishing returns", being competitive with these youngster gives me hope that I'm doing something right. I don't know how they feel having someone twice their age coming only 1 or 2 kilos from beating them on a lift, I feel good about it.

Every meet we train to peak at the meet so usually most powerlifters try to PR at a meet. To PR at a meet is actually a difficult thing to do considering when you PR at the gym that is the only lift you are doing that day. At a meet you are trying to test all three 1RMs on the same day after weeks of being on a calorie deficit diet and a 5~10 pound water cut. The fact that someone can PR on any or all of the three lifts in those conditions is an awesome self accomplishment on its own. Yes, love to PR!

The medal at the end means something different to all that compete. You know that notion, "it's the journey not the destination". It's the validation to the effort and commitment to train your ass off. You're right, someone getting first sometimes means someone stronger just didn't show up. To the beginner powerlifter, they may not be aware or care about that fact. To the intermediate to advanced powerlifter, they all know their class competitor and are either happy or disappointed he/she didn't come to compete. To the advance to elite powerlifter the meet competitor or lack of means nothing, they are competing with the database.

Part of the reason I started this tread is because I have been thinking about giving up training for strength too (that and I could not sleep the night before the meet). Years ago I came into the O35 looking to get started lifting. After tons of reading I came to the conclusion as a new lifter that I should focus on strength first to build a strong foundation. I learned heavy compound movements with low sets and low reps, 5x5 or lower. Problem is I never got out of these strength training modality. I didn't plan to be a powerlifter but I never switch over to hypertrophy after building foundation. Now I'm curious about dedicating my gym time to higher volume and frequency work to focus on hypertrophy and physique. Powerlifting was initially not the goal, but it was the outcome to my gym efforts. Perhaps now my goals may shift.
    Last edited by PhantomMaxx; 11-14-2018 at 12:50 AM.

Originally Posted by strongpath View Post
    My worst performance in a competition to date. Only hit 6/9 lifts. Silver lining my deadlift is improving. Last attempt was 192.5/423 lbs - no problems. I still have a lot of capacity to improve that lift. I’m hiring a coach specifically to work on that. My 3-lift total was 485 kilos if I remember correctly.

The mental game for me was not bailing and going through with the competition and finding focus in spite of everything. I had been sick for almost 2 weeks and lost 10 pounds and couldn’t train. Then 4 days before the competition I was blindsided at work and told my position was eliminated “effective immediately.” Emptied my office and left. Don’t know what’s next for me. Finally, my 20-year marriage (together for 26) is also ending (I instigated). Perfect storm of life stressors.

Setbacks happen. Sometimes we have to start over, begin again.

I’m qualified for Nationals. I will come back stronger and I will be in a better place.

I have told myself the time to hang it up is when I am no longer improving, we'll see. As long as you know and believe there is room to improve you have a realistic goal. It does seem like you have capacity to improve. I've had a coach from the beginning, a good one will bring out the best in you. Having a meet total that gives you a class 1 total to qualify for Nationals is great. That in itself is a goal for some.

Yes. The mental game is a huge part of it too. I've lost my salary job of 17 years last year, I've been contracting hourly since. The stress of looking for work is enough to have a mental breakdown. Marriage too. Sounds like you've got your share of stress.

Good luck with your next meet.