Soverus is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Morbidly Obese Exercise Routine

I'm 5'9 and currently weight 250 pounds, I just meet the morbidly obese category. I have a friend coming over by August 2018 and we plan on hiking/backpacking, can I reach an acceptable physique by then? Also, what exercise should I do, how many days a week should I do it, and how long per session should I do it? Thanks for the help guys, sorry for asking so many questions.

Location: Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The first thing you need to do is get your diet on point as it's vastly more important than exercise (for the sole purposes of losing weight). Even at a fairly standard caloric restriction of 1000 a day you'd lose 2 pounds a week, 8 pounds a month, and over 100 pounds by the time your trip came about. Now it's not that linear and it'll never be that simple, but that should show that yes you can absolutely be in much better shape by then.

As for your actual question, there's plenty of great beginner lifting routines (and lifting is much more important than cardio for this process) such as Fierce 5, 5x5 Stronglifts, Ice Cream Fitness, etc. etc. most of these will be 3 times a week for an hour or less, if you want to do a bit of cardio you can do but it's not needed.

Basically, read the stickies on this forum to work out your dietary needs and then pick a beginner lifting program. Stick to both and you'll get where you need to be.
    IIFYM

Start Weight : 300
    Goal Weight : 200
    Aug/Sep Motivation Thread: 262 | 260.8 | 258.8 | 257.2 | 255 | 264.5 | 256.3 | 254.4

Originally Posted by DyingAtheist View Post
    The first thing you need to do is get your diet on point as it's vastly more important than exercise (for the sole purposes of losing weight). Even at a fairly standard caloric restriction of 1000 a day you'd lose 2 pounds a week, 8 pounds a month, and over 100 pounds by the time your trip came about. Now it's not that linear and it'll never be that simple, but that should show that yes you can absolutely be in much better shape by then.

As for your actual question, there's plenty of great beginner lifting routines (and lifting is much more important than cardio for this process) such as Fierce 5, 5x5 Stronglifts, Ice Cream Fitness, etc. etc. most of these will be 3 times a week for an hour or less, if you want to do a bit of cardio you can do but it's not needed.

Basically, read the stickies on this forum to work out your dietary needs and then pick a beginner lifting program. Stick to both and you'll get where you need to be.
    Isn't 1000 calorie/day a bit too little for a male my height? I currently am restricting myself to 2000 a day.

hhhshovel will become famous soon enough. (+50) hhhshovel will become famous soon enough. (+50) hhhshovel will become famous soon enough. (+50) hhhshovel will become famous soon enough. (+50) hhhshovel will become famous soon enough. (+50) hhhshovel will become famous soon enough. (+50) hhhshovel will become famous soon enough. (+50) hhhshovel will become famous soon enough. (+50) hhhshovel will become famous soon enough. (+50) hhhshovel will become famous soon enough. (+50) hhhshovel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I started my cut at the Jan 1, and I'm the same height as you but I started at 260lb. Im now 206ish and feel great. I got a bit weaker tho, but that was cuz of injury. Anyway, I did this through a 1000 cal deficit and lifting 3 times a week. 2000 cals a day is fine for weight loss. I think dyingathesist meant that you should subtract 1000 cals from your maintainence, which should be around 2900-3000 cals if u workout 3 times a week.

you just have to be consistent at it and not give up. don't expect a noticable change anytime soon. It's been 4.5 months for me and I look the exact same despite losing over 50lb (tho others say i look like i lost a little, and my pants size has gone down 2 sizes)

furiana has a spectacular aura about. (+250) furiana has a spectacular aura about. (+250) furiana has a spectacular aura about. (+250) furiana has a spectacular aura about. (+250) furiana has a spectacular aura about. (+250) furiana has a spectacular aura about. (+250) furiana has a spectacular aura about. (+250) furiana has a spectacular aura about. (+250) furiana has a spectacular aura about. (+250) furiana has a spectacular aura about. (+250) furiana has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    OP, he means your daily intake minus 1000 calories per day.
    New Rules of Lifting for Women: Stage 5 starts June 5

Originally Posted by furiana View Post
    OP, he means your daily intake minus 1000 calories per day.
    How tough would that be for me as my stamina is obviously lackluster. 30 minutes of hardcore cardio on the elliptical results in probably a 400-cal deficit, after that, I'm finished for the day cardio-wise, not sure I could pull off 1000.

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

NUTRITION

This is the largest factor in your success, learn the basics to get started and then move into more advanced if needed.

BASICS
    Spoiler!

Sources and More Information

TRAINING

Start with a solid beginner routine, these are designed to get the most for you; they are designed by professionals and use progressive overload. Read through them and pick the one you like most, follow it as it is written.

Why You Should Not Make Your Own Routine
    How To Perform Basic Lifts

Routines
    Starting Strength
    BabyLover's Starting Strength
    AllPro's Beginner Routine
    StrongLifts 5x5
    IceCream Fitness 5x5
    Fierce 5
    Coolcicada's Push Pull Legs

Calisthenics routines
    Spoiler!

SUPPLEMENTS

Remember one thing, supplements are only that; they supplement something and are never meant to be replacements. A multivitamin will not replace fruits and vegetables, a fat burner will not replace a caloric deficit, and a meal replacement is not meant to be your only source of calories.

This is a brief run down of the 'basics', for further breakdowns of specific ingredients (like Yohimbe, Forskolin, Glycerol, ect) more research on your part would be needed.

Protein
    Spoiler!

Multi-Vitamins
    Spoiler!

Fish Oil
    Spoiler!

Creatine
    Spoiler!

BCAAs
    Spoiler!

Fat Burners
    Spoiler!

Pre-Workouts
    Spoiler!

Meal Replacements/Mass Gainer
    Spoiler!

CLA
    Spoiler!

Glutamine
    Spoiler!
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Registered User BecomingSmaller's Avatar
    BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Forget about exercise calories, they are a bonus, it's far easier to eat 100 less calories than it is to burn them.
    I never saw a wild thing
    sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
    without ever having felt sorry for itself.

54 year old male 6'4
    Jan 2016: 315#, May 2017: 185# 15%
    Next goal: 185# 12%
    #250kchallenge2018

DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Soverus View Post
    How tough would that be for me as my stamina is obviously lackluster. 30 minutes of hardcore cardio on the elliptical results in probably a 400-cal deficit, after that, I'm finished for the day cardio-wise, not sure I could pull off 1000.
    As I said, cardio isn't important. Your weightlifting is much moreso. The 1000 calorie deficit comes from your food - Bullock's provided this information but basically you find your TDEE which is the amount of energy you burn through your BMR and your energy expenditure and then reduce it by 1000 in order to cut 2 pounds a week.

Cardio is good for increasing your expenditure if need be but it's much less important than getting your diet and lifts on point.
    IIFYM

Aug/Sep Motivation Thread: 262 | 260.8 | 258.8 | 257.2 | 255 | 264.5 | 256.3 | 254.4

Poyser16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poyser16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poyser16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poyser16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poyser16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poyser16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poyser16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poyser16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poyser16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poyser16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poyser16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think you seem a little confused on the calorie front. You can google a website that will help you work out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), I would choose your activity setting as "sedentary" to get the most accurate reading. Whatever figure this returns you, likely close to 3000 for your size (just an estimate though) means that's how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. Eating that exact amount means you wouldn't gain or lose weight, even if you did no exercise whatsoever (although don't take the figure as gospel, it is an estimate using a formula and SHOULD be close, but all bodies are different). So say you have to eat 3000 to maintain your current weight, subtract 1000 means eat 2000 calories per day. This would put your defecit at 1000 calories per day and should (on average) mean you lose around 2 lbs per week, even without exercise. Add in exercise too and you can lose even more.

Important thing to remember is that your TDEE will decrease as you get smaller, so don't stick to the same figure forever if you want to keep up your rate of progression. Hope this helps.
    Getting back into it!

Start Weight (2015): 312 lbs
    Lowest Weight (2018): 168 lbs
    Current Weight: 250 lbs
    Goal Weight: 161 lbs

Thanks for your guidance, everyone, it's greatly appreciated! Just curious because some of you are saying it's less important, I should continue with the cardio to increase stamina for hiking, right? I currently use the elliptical because it's low-impact as the treadmill hurts my bones because of the weight. Whenever I get to a more appropriate weight, I am going to use a treadmill.

Originally Posted by Soverus View Post
    Thanks for your guidance, everyone, it's greatly appreciated! Just curious because some of you are saying it's less important, I should continue with the cardio to increase stamina for hiking, right? I currently use the elliptical because it's low-impact as the treadmill hurts my bones because of the weight. Whenever I get to a more appropriate weight, I am going to use a treadmill.
    You can keep doing so for general fitness etc. just do it on your days off from weightlifting or do it AFTER your lifts. Use it as a cooldown and to build general health, don't let it impact your lifting.

I actually went hiking/backpacking around Central America a couple of years ago and when I first went I was 285 pounds or so and hadn't worked out in forever - it was hell for the first month, really struggled with the heat and the physical exertion and wasn't able to enjoy it nearly as much as I should have. You've got a lot of time to get ahead of this, spend the next year working hard on yourself and it'll be so worth it.
    IIFYM

TxMRF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TxMRF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TxMRF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TxMRF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TxMRF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TxMRF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TxMRF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TxMRF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TxMRF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TxMRF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TxMRF has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    OP it's not as hard as you expect.

For example. You can eat a whole bag of salad and thatd be 20-30 cals without dressing. I use salsa as dressing. So add like 5-10 cals (if that). Thats a full afternoon snack when I'm cutting weight.
    Don't be eating stuff like potatoes, fried food, beef, etc. Meeting that higher caloric deficit wont be a problem.

Stick to CERTAIN greens like green beans, asparagus, which you can eat a ton of for low amount of calories.
    then stick to chicken and fish for proteins.

Eat where you want to be, not where you're at.

In terms of cardio, the elliptical is fine for now. Just don't get lazy, like resting you're arms on the non-moveable portion, or going real slow. You still want an increase heart rate. If you can, try to fast walk or jog on the treadmill to build up that stamina and push yourself.

Hope this helps some!
    Fierce 5 U/L Workout Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173977781&p=1493098341#post1493098341

Please leave comments/feedback.

Keep on swimming! scrossmaggard's Avatar
    scrossmaggard is just really nice. (+1000) scrossmaggard is just really nice. (+1000) scrossmaggard is just really nice. (+1000) scrossmaggard is just really nice. (+1000) scrossmaggard is just really nice. (+1000) scrossmaggard is just really nice. (+1000) scrossmaggard is just really nice. (+1000) scrossmaggard is just really nice. (+1000) scrossmaggard is just really nice. (+1000) scrossmaggard is just really nice. (+1000) scrossmaggard is just really nice. (+1000)
    Walking
    Nothing worth having in life comes easily!